Steele

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Re: Steele

Post by dsr » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 am
I don't know where you have this notion that his red card would have been overturned. Had Keogh been sent off in a cup tie with no VAR he would not have had it overturned and he would have been serving a suspension.
I know in league games, even with VAR in operation, the FA will reverse a red card and quash the suspension if they think it is wrong. Watford had a cup red card overturned last year - is that system not in place any more?

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/wa ... tory.shtml

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:31 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:24 pm
I know in league games, even with VAR in operation, the FA will reverse a red card and quash the suspension if they think it is wrong. Watford had a cup red card overturned last year - is that system not in place any more?

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/wa ... tory.shtml
Yes, but there is no way on earth that red card or Keogh would have been overturned.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:29 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:22 am
If Keogh had done that "handball" in the Newport v Brighton game, he would have been sent off, but it wouldn't have been sent off according to the rules. The rules said he shouldn't be sent off; the problem would have been that the ref didn't assess the rules correctly.
Why wouldn't it have complied with the denial of an obvious goalscoring chance rule? It seems pretty clear cut to me that without the handball Wood would have been 1v1 with the keeper. Wood's minimal contact with Keogh does not force the arm to lift up rather he, if anything at all, pushes the arm parallel to the ground and away from the ball.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:28 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:29 pm
Why wouldn't it have complied with the denial of an obvious goalscoring chance rule? It seems pretty clear cut to me that without the handball Wood would have been 1v1 with the keeper. Wood's minimal contact with Keogh does not force the arm to lift up rather he, if anything at all, pushes the arm parallel to the ground and away from the ball.
Ah yes, however, it is now the new handball interpretation which comes into play. The new interpretation, since kick off at the Turf on Saturday, is that you can handle the ball and then get a free kick awarded for you because your opponent breathed on you. Of course this has to be aided and abetted by VAR, particularly when it is Anthony Taylor who is involved. Remember him refereeing when the Southampton keeper wiped out Ashley in the penalty area a few seasons ago and got the free kick and Ashley was booked for diving.
I'm sure that I will be able to learn The Laws of the Game as used in modern football --it just takes time to adjust from what they used to be :x
This user liked this post: bfcmik

dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:29 pm
Basically I am assuming that if two refs who between them made the decision with the help of the TV cameras, came to the conclusion that the red card was clearly and obviously wrong, then so would have the appeals panel.