Burnley v Manchester United - Match Thread

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1099 times

Re: Burnley v Manchester United - Match Thread

Post by bfcmik » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:34 pm

I think it is obvious that if you pit a team who cost a total of £43M against a team who cost almost 11 times as much that you need the opposition to play somewhat below their strengths and/or be very wasteful in front of goal. For all their second half dominance and slick passing I don't think they had a clear chance. United were restricted to shots from outside the area, one of which, unfortunately, took a nick off Lowton's calf to deflect past Pope into the net.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:35 pm

expoultryboy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:29 pm
In the first half , United played with 2 holding midfielders which enabled us to compete/nullify their attacking play . When they moved Pogba forward to play alongside Fernandes , there was no way Westy and Brownhill could play against them . They needed help in there .
You have a valid point and changing to 451 could have helped but Dyche would have left Wood up on his own so eventually we’d have possibly been overrun anyway
Most would like that we’d changed the front 2 on the hour mark and taken the game to Utd or at least given them something to think about with the pace of Vydra and a quality and intelligent footballer in Jay Rod
I believe that they would have attempted to link up too
Wood and Barnes are mostly two isolated forwards once Barnes is knackered on the hour Mark or before
Last edited by BleedingClaret on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:35 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:32 pm
Doesn't deserve to start at the moment, cherry pick small moments all you want...but Vydra deserves a run of games.
But you've just cherry picked two (really poor) chances that Vydra had tonight to justify why he should start instead of Wood. You also said Vydra is getting into positions that Wood never does and I've clearly demonstrated that to be untrue.
Last edited by Tall Paul on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Safron
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Safron » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:36 pm

expoultryboy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:29 pm
In the first half , United played with 2 holding midfielders which enabled us to compete/nullify their attacking play . When they moved Pogba forward to play alongside Fernandes , there was no way Westy and Brownhill could play against them . They needed help in there .
It's a worry when everyone can see this yet dyche cant

prettygreenclaret
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by prettygreenclaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:36 pm

For me Vydra and Jay both need to start next game. Vydra has more pace and guile than Wood. He did more in his late introduction tonight than Wood did all night. I don't want to knock Wood and Barnes but they both appear to be out of form at present.
These 2 users liked this post: tiger76 Gordaleman

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 pm

matttheclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:33 pm
That's a pretty telling stat. Only 9 in 16 this season too.

For us, conceding a goal pretty much puts paid to any chance of winning the game.
But on the flip side, scoring first generally means we win the game as well.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

SouthEastClaret
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by SouthEastClaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 pm

Good effort 1st half but midfield was sliced through again and again in the second until the inevitable happened. Have to keep perspective in that we lost 1-0 to the now leaders!
That being said, I'd like to see a change up front.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 pm

matttheclaret wrote:

For us, conceding a goal pretty much puts paid to any chance of winning the game.
Don't know exactly what our stats are for coming from behind but it's pretty diabolical and we haven't won many points after going behind in our stay in The Prem.
1st goal for us is massive.

matttheclaret
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by matttheclaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:41 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 pm
But on the flip side, scoring first generally means we win the game as well.
Very true

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:41 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:35 pm
You have a valid point and changing to 451 could have helped but Dyche would have left Wood up on his own so eventually we’d have possibly been overrun anyway
Most would like that we’d changed the front 2 on the hour mark and taken the game to Utd or at least given them something to think about with the pace of Vydra and a quality and intelligent footballer in Jay Rod
I believe that they would have attempted to link up too
Wood and Barnes are mostly two isolated forwards once Barnes is knackered on the hour Mark or before
Fair comments. I think if we ever did switch to 451 in any game then I would put Vydra up too purely for the pace on the counter attack

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:43 pm

Again, we do alright against these sides, but I'm sick to my back teeth of seeing every single promising piece of football totally break down when it reaches the front two. They are simply immobile and lacking in the technical quality required. When they are off form, boy are they off form.
Last edited by ksrclaret on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:43 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
But you've just cherry picked two (really poor) chances that Vydra had tonight to justify why he should start instead of Wood. You also said Vydra is getting into positions that Wood never does and I've clearly demonstrated that to be untrue.
Vydra isn’t match sharp as he doesn’t get enough minutes
Maybe 30 mins a game he could get there but 10 is joke and 4 for Jay is an insult
Flogging Barnes is ridiculous
Wood offers nothing unless he’s scoring in fairness he has over recent seasons, but how he is worth his place at the moment I don’t know
To leave him on with an exhausted Barnes after the hour does neither of them any favours
Putting Vyds on for Barnes giving Wood time with him could have created spaces due to pace or Jay to try and link up
Dyche just flogged Barnes and Wood was completely lost
Last edited by BleedingClaret on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:43 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
How much longer would you give Wood then? Say he doesn't score in his next 5? Vydra still doesn't deserve a chance then?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:43 pm

matttheclaret wrote:

Given that we've only netted 9 in 16 we've done remarkably well to post 16 points over that period, however most of the credit for that has to go down to the defence and Pope, we can't expect miracles from them every game, and our lack of goals is becoming a worry, and unless we address this problem we could still find ourselves anxiously looking over our shoulders come the business end of the season.

Zero creativity in midfield again is a cause for concern, for all the talk of the strikers having barren spells, our midfield need to chip in now and then.

Brady and Westwood both have one apiece, and the rest none, that's not good enough to win games at this level, no matter how well you defend.
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:46 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:43 pm
Given that we've only netted 9 in 16 we've done remarkably well to post 16 points over that period, however most of the credit for that has to go down to the defence and Pope, we can't expect miracles from them every game, and our lack of goals is becoming a worry, and unless we address this problem we could still find ourselves anxiously looking over our shoulders come the business end of the season.

Zero creativity in midfield again is a cause for concern, for all the talk of the strikers having barren spells, our midfield need to chip in now and then.

Brady and Westwood both have one apiece, and the rest none, that's not good enough to win games at this level, no matter how well you defend.
In the opinion of many we leave our best two strikers on the bench but it’s not changing them on the hour that ******* most people off

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:48 pm

It's a good job Wood didn't score tonight as that would have guaranteed him starting for the rest of the season.

MDWat
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:48 pm

If we carry on at a rate of 1 goal every 2 games, there’s a pretty high chance that we’ll be relegated, so we need to find goals from somewhere.
This user liked this post: Boss Hogg

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:49 pm

nyclaret wrote:
How much longer would you give Wood then? Say he doesn't score in his next 5? Vydra still doesn't deserve a chance then?
I'd give him until he stops getting into decent positions to score. Today he didn't, but it was against a team that has just gone top of the league, so let's see how he does against West Ham, he has a good record against them.

If he doesn't score in the next 5, but he's still getting into the right positions, I think you have persevere with him, because it's really just the wrong side of variance.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 pm

tiger76 wrote:

Absolutely, the midfield have never contributed many goals and when the strikers hit a patch of bad form that becomes a problem.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Re: The Shaw incident

Post by dpinsussex » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:52 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:20 pm
Seems like he was making it up as he went along to me. I can't recall ever seeing the VAR overturn a free kick for one team by awarding a free kick to the other team for a separate incident at the other end of the pitch.

Obviously it would have been unjust for Man Utd to have a free kick in a goalscoring position due to the refs ineptitude in not awarding us a free kick in the first place, but I didn't think they could just make things up on the spot.
We were awarded a penalty last season after I think it was Bournemouth who had scored at the other end

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:54 pm

tiger76 wrote:

It aint the midfielders fault though is it. Clearly instructed to not go over the halfway line, especially against the big teams where we can't give even more space than we already do with a 2 man midfield. We are then so limited & get our wide players to move inside inside creating space for the full backs to get as far forward as poss, which is usually about 30 yards out whipping balls in from long distance. OK against poorer teams but we do struggle against better teams, tonight in case. Otherwise, it's long ball, win the 2nd balls and pressure teams deep winning the ball in dangerous areas, like we did in the 1st half.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:58 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:46 pm
In the opinion of many we leave our best two strikers on the bench but it’s not changing them on the hour that ******* most people off
Jay might qualify as one of our best two strikers, I'd argue he's our most natural finisher, Vydra is a tough one to assess simply because we don't see very much of him, he runs the channels well, and looks lively enough, but he's hardly prolific when he gets a run of starts, as he did post-lockdown last season, he's shown glimpses, the goal at Southampton in particular, but question marks still remain about his finishing, he also missed several gilt-edged chances last season, Watford and Sheff Utd spring to mind immediately, I do like him and Jay up front for us, that's when we normally play better football, but the bottom line is whoever plays has to put the ball in the onion bag.

I would definitely start Jay and Vyds on Saturday, if for no other reason then to show Barnes and Wood that they're not automatic picks, and perhaps that will be the kick up the pants both of them need to start firing again, because the Wolves game apart, both are shooting blanks this campaign.
This user liked this post: BleedingClaret

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:00 pm

I honestly agree with those who feel Wood offers the square root of bugger all if he's not sticking the ball in the net. His first touch, control and link up play are reminiscent of The Prairie circa 1987!

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:02 pm

dpinsussex wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:52 pm
We were awarded a penalty last season after I think it was Bournemouth who had scored at the other end
But we know that VAR can be used to check for potential penalties. I'm talking about an incident where a free kick is overturned and a free kick is given to another team for a separate incident.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:02 pm

diamondpocket wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 pm
Don't know exactly what our stats are for coming from behind but it's pretty diabolical and we haven't won many points after going behind in our stay in The Prem.
1st goal for us is massive.
if you want a bizarre stat about not coming back from behind look at Man City if they are losing at half time away from home - it is incredible

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:04 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:02 pm
But we know that VAR can be used to check for potential penalties. I'm talking about an incident where a free kick is overturned and a free kick is given to another team for a separate incident.
A penalty is a free kick
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:04 pm

nyclaret wrote:
I'd drop Barnes, for what it's worth. Probably for J Rod if he's fit.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:10 pm

diamondpocket wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:54 pm
It aint the midfielders fault though is it. Clearly instructed to not go over the halfway line, especially against the big teams where we can't give even more space than we already do with a 2 man midfield. We are then so limited & get our wide players to move inside inside creating space for the full backs to get as far forward as poss, which is usually about 30 yards out whipping balls in from long distance. OK against poorer teams but we do struggle against better teams, tonight in case. Otherwise, it's long ball, win the 2nd balls and pressure teams deep winning the ball in dangerous areas, like we did in the 1st half.
The main problem is we've been over reliant on Dwight for far too long, and now inevitably his form has dipped, we don't have anybody that's looking creative, Brady is probably our most likely source of chances now he's hopefully regaining form and fitness, but Robbie apart we've struggled to get forward this season, now against the likes of United I can understand the cautious approach, and we could have even nicked a draw tonight, but when we face the bottom half teams we need to have a more positive mindset, we do have decent PL players whatever many on here may think, that's why they've played so many games at this level, and sometimes Sean has to release the handbrake and let them express themselves.

I still suspect we'll do enough to avoid the bottom 3, as we're more than capable of winning another 6/7 games this season, but the lack of goals is a major concern, and until we start netting at a regular rate we'll be heaping pressure on ourselves to see games out, and making everybody on here lose their fingernails in the process.
This user liked this post: diamondpocket

nyclaret

Post by nyclaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:04 pm
I'd drop Barnes, for what it's worth. Probably for J Rod if he's fit.
Barnes is at least putting his body about and winning fouls. Wood is offering nothing.
These 2 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Boss Hogg

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:13 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:58 pm
Jay might qualify as one of our best two strikers, I'd argue he's our most natural finisher, Vydra is a tough one to assess simply because we don't see very much of him, he runs the channels well, and looks lively enough, but he's hardly prolific when he gets a run of starts, as he did post-lockdown last season, he's shown glimpses, the goal at Southampton in particular, but question marks still remain about his finishing, he also missed several gilt-edged chances last season, Watford and Sheff Utd spring to mind immediately, I do like him and Jay up front for us, that's when we normally play better football, but the bottom line is whoever plays has to put the ball in the onion bag.

I would definitely start Jay and Vyds on Saturday, if for no other reason then to show Barnes and Wood that they're not automatic picks, and perhaps that will be the kick up the pants both of them need to start firing again, because the Wolves game apart, both are shooting blanks this campaign.
I’d actually start Wood and Barnes
But give Jay & Vyds half an hour
Only after 4 half hours will either of them have match fitness and sharpness
Wood & Barnes have been flogged and given all the responsibility, Jayrod back from a knock and Vydra have been underused and I would doubt that they are ready to start and play a full game
For me if they’d been getting half hours and Wood & Barnes playing for an hour they be sharing the pressure the fatigue and the match fitness and sharpness
I think it’s pure bad man management
Barnes looks like he’s going to break down in the 2nd half
Wood looks like he’s playing under increasing pressure
Vydra will leave and we’ll never know if he’s good enough, may be a Bamford moment
Jay Rod is used as a bit player when Wood and Barnes are available, he is v our best offensive footballer bar none IMO

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:17 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:02 pm
if you want a bizarre stat about not coming back from behind look at Man City if they are losing at half time away from home - it is incredible
I'm guessing they've never won or something like that? I guess over the last 5 years or so they've rarely been behind though!

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:17 pm

dpinsussex wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:04 pm
A penalty is a free kick
You're being obtuse. VAR clearly differentiates between penalty kicks and free kicks.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:25 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:13 pm
I’d actually start Wood and Barnes
But give Jay & Vyds half an hour
Only after 4 half hours will either of them have match fitness and sharpness
Wood & Barnes have been flogged and given all the responsibility, Jayrod back from a knock and Vydra have been underused and I would doubt that they are ready to start and play a full game
For me if they’d been getting half hours and Wood & Barnes playing for an hour they be sharing the pressure the fatigue and the match fitness and sharpness
I think it’s pure bad man management
Barnes looks like he’s going to break down in the 2nd half
Wood looks like he’s playing under increasing pressure
Vydra will leave and we’ll never know if he’s good enough, may be a Bamford moment
Jay Rod is used as a bit player when Wood and Barnes are available, he is v our best offensive footballer bar none IMO
Fair comments and if Jay/Vydra aren't up to starting then fine, but something needs to be done and pretty damn quick, otherwise we'll be in the quicksand, I don't often criticise Sean, but his reluctance to make subs earlier is a real bugbear of mine, I can understand wanting to keep your defence and even midfield consistent when you can, but surely we can rotate our 4 strikers better than we currently are.

I do agree Jay is one of our few technically gifted players, and he rarely looks out of place at this level, which can't always be said for some of our squad as whole-hearted as they are.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:28 pm

diamondpocket wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:17 pm
I'm guessing they've never won or something like that? I guess over the last 5 years or so they've rarely been behind though!
something like won 1 drawn 12 in over a 100 PL games

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:33 pm

nyclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 pm
Barnes is at least putting his body about and winning fouls. Wood is offering nothing.
Wood is offering more big chances, more shots in the box, more shots on target, more touches in the box and more key passes than Barnes, but yes Barnes is fouled more.

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:45 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:25 pm
Fair comments and if Jay/Vydra aren't up to starting then fine, but something needs to be done and pretty damn quick, otherwise we'll be in the quicksand, I don't often criticise Sean, but his reluctance to make subs earlier is a real bugbear of mine, I can understand wanting to keep your defence and even midfield consistent when you can, but surely we can rotate our 4 strikers better than we currently are.

I do agree Jay is one of our few technically gifted players, and he rarely looks out of place at this level, which can't always be said for some of our squad as whole-hearted as they are.
Just to confirm
From early on last season I said I’d start Jay & Vyds just more my type of players but I also think that if you now drop Wood & Barnes and asked Jay & Vyds to do what they can’t and he’d play them until 80 plus mins they’ll likely fail too
The way we play our forwards have to put in a shift
I feel that Barnes & Wood should have been doing an hour and 70/75 mins respectively and Vyds and Jay getting half an hour off the bench
Surely share the workload and present different threats for the opposition to think about

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:03 am

BleedingClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:45 pm
Just to confirm
From early on last season I said I’d start Jay & Vyds just more my type of players but I also think that if you now drop Wood & Barnes and asked Jay & Vyds to do what they can’t and he’d play them until 80 plus mins they’ll likely fail too
The way we play our forwards have to put in a shift
I feel that Barnes & Wood should have been doing an hour and 70/75 mins respectively and Vyds and Jay getting half an hour off the bench
Surely share the workload and present different threats for the opposition to think about
I can't disagree with you BC, and if Barnes and Wood start on Saturday but prove ineffective, then absolutely we should make changes around the hour mark to give the subs a reasonable chance to make an impact, what exactly is Vydra supposed to do in 10 minutes, now if he gets 25/30 and a chance to get up to speed with the pace of the game he might have more chance of finishing if and when the opportunity arises, he's shown that he can finish, but he's also missed his fair share as all strikers do, and if you know your only getting fleeting appearances in the 1st team, then inevitably you'll snatch at the chances when they do come.

Starting the big lads isn't a bad shout, and then introducing some pace, and also someone willing to run in behind against a tiring defence could pay dividends.

I don't know what the formula to get our strike force firing is, but SD needs to find it and fast, otherwise a repeat of 14/15 could be on the cards, we defended manfully that season, but Ings apart we couldn't muster enough goals to gain the required victories to survive, and I can sense a horrible feeling of deja vu the way this season is heading.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:25 am

willsclarets wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:31 pm
Ah is that why it was disallowed? I thought it was because of a foul
yes you are right, it was disallowed for the foul but had it gone to VAR and they did their job correctly ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) then they should have ruled it out for the ball not being in the right place for the corner

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:02 am

Murger wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:14 pm
Why? Because he skied a shot. He's done more in 10 minutes thanWood has in about 5 games.
Why do you think he doesn’t start then ?

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:18 am

Peter Loo wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:19 pm
We don't need another striker, that game was against a top of the table team.
Agreed Man Utd are a top side, but its the same two strikers that could have scored 4 against MK Dons by half time, and there were clear missed chances v Sheff Utd. In fact Wood has had a dreadful score conversion this season. If we dont score we cant win

nyclaret

Post by nyclaret » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:47 am

warksclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:18 am
Agreed Man Utd are a top side, but its the same two strikers that could have scored 4 against MK Dons by half time, and there were clear missed chances v Sheff Utd. In fact Wood has had a dreadful score conversion this season. If we dont score we cant win
Unless we’re playing against Arsenal :D

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:08 am

warksclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:18 am
In fact Wood has had a dreadful score conversion this season
He has
Last season he scored 14 in 2,446 minutes which is a goal every 174. minuted
This season he has scored 3 in 1,372 which is just a goal every 457 minutes.

Our other strikers this season
Barnes - 1 goal in 878 minutes
Rodriguez 0 goals in 559 minutes
Vydra 0 goals in 177 minutes

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:56 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:00 pm
I honestly agree with those who feel Wood offers the square root of bugger all if he's not sticking the ball in the net. His first touch, control and link up play are reminiscent of The Prairie circa 1987!
Come on DC no need to insult the lads on the Prairie in 1987....

Wood trying to control a football is the weirdest thing ive ever seen from a professional footballer he simply dosent know how to....sad but true!
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:08 am
He has
Last season he scored 14 in 2,446 minutes which is a goal every 174. minuted
This season he has scored 3 in 1,372 which is just a goal every 457 minutes.

Our other strikers this season
Barnes - 1 goal in 878 minutes
Rodriguez 0 goals in 559 minutes
Vydra 0 goals in 177 minutes
To be fair to Wood his dip in form has coincided with Dwight's dip in form/injury....i think when Dwight gets up and running again Wood will start to score again,Wood feeds on those whipped in crosses which have dried up....

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:17 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Haha...somehow knew what your answer would be...for the minutes Vydra gets he is much more effective than Wood...overall his size and stature makes him a different beast to Wood and in turn he for me gets into better positions...take his goal on Saturday. Would Vydra be afforded the amount of poor games Wood has...absolutley not. No level playing field here, and the fact that the club have activated his 1 year extension not because they value him as a player but to try and get their money back is quite shocking. Dont get me wrong, I like Wood, but right now he is struggling to keep up with the games and his hold up play is quite shocking.