REPORT: Clarets suffer defeat in first league game of the year

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

REPORT: Clarets suffer defeat in first league game of the year

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 pm

Burnley v Man U match report

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/clarets-su ... f-the-year
These 2 users liked this post: KateR Zlatan

burnmark
Been Liked: 593 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Re: REPORT: Clarets suffer defeat in first league game of the year

Post by burnmark » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:53 pm

Thanks for the report.

I’m absolutely no advocate for Neville co-commentating on United games or Carragher on Liverpool ones but I thought Neville was fair last night and wasn’t short of compliments for us.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:14 pm

burnmark wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:53 pm
Thanks for the report.

I’m absolutely no advocate for Neville co-commentating on United games or Carragher on Liverpool ones but I thought Neville was fair last night and wasn’t short of compliments for us.
It's almost like a Man U documentary when he covers one of their games. He's also apologised today for his commentary, apparently he was more concerned with Salford's game.

Don't particularly like him in the commentary box but he's a damn good pundit.

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:31 pm

I thought he was quite complimentary about us and gave us due respect, and is indeed a good pundit. Good report CT

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:38 pm

It was a decent game with the sound turned off and plenty of Atlantic Soul on the record deck! Just a shame about the result but they had the luck with the deflection and how Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes would love a bit of luck like that!

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:18 pm

Good report. I think Neville tried to be fair to us but inevitably discusses the United players more than ours. The constant reference to ‘United could go top tonight’ from Sky commentary was more than annoying though.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1679 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:14 pm

As did Ashingtonclaret46, I watched the whole game with the sound turned off. The thought of Tyler and Neville in some sort of harmony was something I didn't want to listen to. Might try it again with a little bit of soul or Tamla next time.

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:24 pm

Them Memphis Horns would get me up dancing if I had Atlantic Soul on when watching so will stick to the Sky commentary and dance later.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:35 pm

I love the line about Cavani "This was the one occasion when he was probably fouled" - probably ;-0

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:42 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:35 pm
I love the line about Cavani "This was the one occasion when he was probably fouled" - probably ;-0
I’m not sure he knows how to stay on his feet

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:44 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:38 pm
It was a decent game with the sound turned off and plenty of Atlantic Soul on the record deck! Just a shame about the result but they had the luck with the deflection and how Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes would love a bit of luck like that!
Surely a point needs to be reached where luck or bad luck shouldn’t factor, man for man we did ok, if wood shoots that fraction quicker bailly doesn’t block you test de gea. Dyche is right when he says it’s down to fine margins & last night was a perfect example, I don’t think a draw would have been unjust despite soaking it up & showing no real attacking intent before we conceded in the second half.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:07 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:44 pm
Surely a point needs to be reached where luck or bad luck shouldn’t factor, man for man we did ok, if wood shoots that fraction quicker bailly doesn’t block you test de gea. Dyche is right when he says it’s down to fine margins & last night was a perfect example, I don’t think a draw would have been unjust despite soaking it up & showing no real attacking intent before we conceded in the second half.
Does that no attacking intent include the shot that we had within the first minute? Just asking.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:07 pm
Does that no attacking intent include the shot that we had within the first minute? Just asking.
I was talking more about the second half to be fair, we only seemed to have a go when we fell behind, united upped the tempo & we defended resolutely for large periods it seemed the plan was to settle for a draw & be happy with that, I think most of us would have been happy & well & truly satisfied if that would have been the conclusion. I’m not disagreeing with you I’m just pointing out hard luck stories start to wear thin.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pm
I was talking more about the second half to be fair, we only seemed to have a go when we fell behind, united upped the tempo & we defended resolutely for large periods it seemed the plan was to settle for a draw & be happy with that, I think most of us would have been happy & well & truly satisfied if that would have been the conclusion. I’m not disagreeing with you I’m just pointing out hard luck stories start to wear thin.
I was not claiming hard luck I was stating a fact. They had that bit of luck with a deflection taking the ball away from Pope's dive, when he would have saved the original shot.
I still maintain that you need an element of luck in any game to enable you to do things, whether it be a deflection, a miskick, a poor decision etc., etc.

We battled, we lost and on another day we may have held out or snatched a win --with a bit of luck.

Reckoner
Been Liked: 124 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Reckoner » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 am

I'm the same as others I thought Gary Neville was good. Much more balanced than you would typically get from an ex-player and fan of one of the clubs playing, particularly when 95% of the audience was probably also watching because of United. I agree he is a better pundit but as a co-commentator he is definitely one of the best too. Decent human being as well.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:12 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 pm
I was not claiming hard luck I was stating a fact. They had that bit of luck with a deflection taking the ball away from Pope's dive, when he would have saved the original shot.
I still maintain that you need an element of luck in any game to enable you to do things, whether it be a deflection, a miskick, a poor decision etc., etc.

We battled, we lost and on another day we may have held out or snatched a win --with a bit of luck.
You claimed, inferred that they had abit of luck but sometimes you make your own luck & yes you are quite right saying it was a deflection, I don’t necessarily attribute that down to bad luck though, the law of averages if you knock on the door often enough it will eventually get answered, if you do all the right things fortune will more often than not happen, is that a coincidence or just good luck? You largely decide upon your own destiny.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:18 pm

I know you don’t like VAR Tony, but I find it strange that you criticise it for the Shaw/Brady incident whilst saying Friend had a good game. Without VAR, the outcome would have been a free kick for Utd in a dangerous position and a yellow card for Brady - another mistake by the ref as it should certainly have been a red after he’d waived away the foul by Shaw.

Although you could argue the toss about whether or not Shaw should have been sent off, surely as a result of the VAR intervention we got a lot closer to the correct outcome?

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:43 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:12 pm
You claimed, inferred that they had abit of luck but sometimes you make your own luck & yes you are quite right saying it was a deflection, I don’t necessarily attribute that down to bad luck though, the law of averages if you knock on the door often enough it will eventually get answered, if you do all the right things fortune will more often than not happen, is that a coincidence or just good luck? You largely decide upon your own destiny.

Serious question: --If you can largely decide upon your own destiny---what the hell are you doing wasting your life posting on a football message board. You really are wasting a big opportunity if you have the power to decide on your own destiny.
99% of the world's population would love to have that power and there would definitely not be any poor people in the world if they could decide their own destiny.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:43 pm

The game is too quick today, and VAR now plays an ever increasing major role. That JBG /Shaw incident looked like a very robust 50-50 at time of happening, and looked instantly like JBG had picked up a serious injury. Only the players appealing persuaded the referee to do the VAR appraisal, and of course with the benefit of 6 or 7 replays you see how close Shaw is to a red. I am certain other refs might have shown him red. VAR worked in our favour twice. I could see some allowing MacGuire's headed goal. I think Neville was spot on when he said that both managers would have been pleased with the overall outcome of VAR that night

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:24 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:18 pm
I know you don’t like VAR Tony, but I find it strange that you criticise it for the Shaw/Brady incident whilst saying Friend had a good game. Without VAR, the outcome would have been a free kick for Utd in a dangerous position and a yellow card for Brady - another mistake by the ref as it should certainly have been a red after he’d waived away the foul by Shaw.

Although you could argue the toss about whether or not Shaw should have been sent off, surely as a result of the VAR intervention we got a lot closer to the correct outcome?
I’ll accept that but I’d be delighted if someone could explain how it took six minutes. And imagine if we’d been there, we wouldn’t have had a clue what was happening, the info message remained throughout at checking the denial of a goal scoring opportunity.

To be honest I’d prefer wrong decisions than having to wait that long.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:32 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:24 pm
I’ll accept that but I’d be delighted if someone could explain how it took six minutes. And imagine if we’d been there, we wouldn’t have had a clue what was happening, the info message remained throughout at checking the denial of a goal scoring opportunity.

To be honest I’d prefer wrong decisions than having to wait that long.
I wouldn’t agree with your final comment but it certainly took far too long. I can’t understand why both the VAR and the ref looked repeatedly at both incidents. Surely if you conclude that the first incident is a foul, what happens afterwards is irrelevant, so no need to spend ages looking at the Brady challenge.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:34 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:32 pm
I wouldn’t agree with your final comment but it certainly took far too long. I can’t understand why both the VAR and the ref looked repeatedly at both incidents. Surely if you conclude that the first incident is a foul, what happens afterwards is irrelevant, so no need to spend ages looking at the Brady challenge.
It took a damned age before the referee was asked to go and look at the monitor. It was downright ridiculous and the time added on at the end of the half was more than two minutes less than that stoppage.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:19 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:43 pm
Serious question: --If you can largely decide upon your own destiny---what the hell are you doing wasting your life posting on a football message board. You really are wasting a big opportunity if you have the power to decide on your own destiny.
99% of the world's population would love to have that power and there would definitely not be any poor people in the world if they could decide their own destiny.
Within limits to a certain degree people can & do, I’d like to become a millionaire but however much I try to control my destiny it ain’t happening, you can largely determine what happens by behaviour & behaviour alone, I feel I’m straying off topic so this is my closing comment, good evening.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:22 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:19 pm
Within limits to a certain degree people can & do, I’d like to become a millionaire but however much I try to control my destiny it ain’t happening, you can largely determine what happens by behaviour & behaviour alone, I feel I’m straying off topic so this is my closing comment, good evening.
Good evening to you, by the way, you forgot to mention good luck ---you'll need it!