Blackpool v Burnley 1990

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Post Reply
giveusaB
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:09 pm
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by giveusaB » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:28 pm

Just seen this footage from September 1990.Remember being behind the goal for this one.Over 30 years ago!

https://youtu.be/btr5fnWNQVc
These 6 users liked this post: BleedingClaret Leisure Aclaret Vegas Claret bfcjg Cirrus_Minor

Leisure
Posts: 10580
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:47 pm
Been Liked: 1900 times
Has Liked: 5906 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by Leisure » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:35 pm

Paddock for me. Not sure why we were in the middle section and not at the Kop end?

elwaclaret
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:57 am
Been Liked: 793 times
Has Liked: 1442 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:44 pm

Leisure wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:35 pm
Paddock for me. Not sure why we were in the middle section and not at the Kop end?
Think they put the later arrivals in the Paddock. I thought it was the Kendall 5-0 drubbing at first. They closed the cop a couple of seasons later completely as it was in danger of collapse if I remember rightly.

groove
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:26 pm
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by groove » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:20 pm

Phil Stant was a good player at that level, always seemed to score a lot. Ex SAS if my memory serves me rightly.

burnmark
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 am
Been Liked: 315 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by burnmark » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:35 pm

Remember it well. I would have been 7 years old and stood just to the right of the goals in the Kop. It will have been the old September school holidays as I don’t think my mum would have allowed me to do an away game on a school night at that age.

ClaretTony
Posts: 44183
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 20425 times
Has Liked: 3699 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:46 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:44 pm
Think they put the later arrivals in the Paddock. I thought it was the Kendall 5-0 drubbing at first. They closed the cop a couple of seasons later completely as it was in danger of collapse if I remember rightly.
Think you will find it was 5-2 and that was Jan 92.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

ClaretTony
Posts: 44183
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 20425 times
Has Liked: 3699 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:49 pm

Leisure wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:35 pm
Paddock for me. Not sure why we were in the middle section and not at the Kop end?
I think some of the paddock had been shut down for safety reasons at that time. I was definitely on the Kop.

djemba-djemba
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:12 pm
Been Liked: 39 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by djemba-djemba » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:02 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:46 pm
Think you will find it was 5-2 and that was Jan 92.
Wow :roll:

Belial
Posts: 1101
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 pm
Been Liked: 265 times
Has Liked: 166 times
Location: On a crazy train

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by Belial » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:10 pm

Anyone remember Trevor Sinclair getting some stick in the early 90s from our lot behind the goal, and showing us his ass as he ran off?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Posts: 3990
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:52 am
Been Liked: 1296 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:13 pm

burnmark wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:35 pm
Remember it well. I would have been 7 years old and stood just to the right of the goals in the Kop. It will have been the old September school holidays as I don’t think my mum would have allowed me to do an away game on a school night at that age.
Blimey the September week off!! What year did that end? Hated the fact coming from Rossendale and going to a Burnley secondary school we only got a 4 week summer due to the Burnley holidays!

bfcjg
Posts: 7114
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 pm
Been Liked: 2729 times
Has Liked: 2804 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:17 pm

Cant believe it was 31 years ago, I was behind the goals. 31 years from now I just hope my children find me a decent care home 😁.

groove
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:26 pm
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by groove » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:24 pm

The exit from the Spion Kip was a death trap. All the terrace exited by one bottle neck walkway at the side. Being shuffled along unable to move your arms. Was always relieved when I reached the exit gate as a young lad.

dougcollins
Posts: 2872
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 am
Been Liked: 824 times
Has Liked: 762 times
Location: Yarkshire

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by dougcollins » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:25 pm

Strange, I was just thinking about Pete Mumby today.

EarbyClaret
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:48 am
Been Liked: 400 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by EarbyClaret » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:03 pm

I get this game confused with a 2-1 at the same time of
year around that era - John Deary scored - maybe a cup match?

Midweek evening - main thing I remember Blackpool had to reduce the height of the floodlights because they were a safety hazard with the wind blowing in off the Irish Sea and they were almost at eye level if you were stood at the back of the Kop

Have I got that right or is age catching up with me

EarbyClaret
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:48 am
Been Liked: 400 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by EarbyClaret » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:11 pm

My abiding memory of Peter Mumby is his goal at the City Ground which I think was a leveler at 1:1 v Forest in the LC when they were the cup holders

It all went down hill after that for various reasons but fantastic away support for a team in D4 (L2) at the time

Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 9803
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 4657 times
Has Liked: 607 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:22 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:03 pm
I get this game confused with a 2-1 at the same time of
year around that era - John Deary scored - maybe a cup match?

Midweek evening - main thing I remember Blackpool had to reduce the height of the floodlights because they were a safety hazard with the wind blowing in off the Irish Sea and they were almost at eye level if you were stood at the back of the Kop

Have I got that right or is age catching up with me
It all does get a little misty in time. Apparently I was at that match in the OP but I can't remember it.

I do remember a little bit of another 1-2 there (mid 90's I think) where the ref played about 10 minutes injury time and we invaded the pitch.

burnmark
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 am
Been Liked: 315 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by burnmark » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:28 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:03 pm
I get this game confused with a 2-1 at the same time of
year around that era - John Deary scored - maybe a cup match?

Midweek evening - main thing I remember Blackpool had to reduce the height of the floodlights because they were a safety hazard with the wind blowing in off the Irish Sea and they were almost at eye level if you were stood at the back of the Kop

Have I got that right or is age catching up with me
Autoglass Trophy game in the 91/92 Championship season? That was a midweek game and victory resplendent in our blue Ribero third kit - probably my favourite ever strip of ours.

Silkyskills1
Posts: 3967
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:39 pm
Been Liked: 1086 times
Has Liked: 1503 times
Location: Rawtenstall

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:00 pm

I remember this game. It was extremely windy for that time of the year. Just over a year later we went there in the Autoglass Trophy, we t one down and ended up winning 1-3.
As for the game where the referee added on a lot of time at the end with us leading 0-2, that was towards the end of the promotion season of 93-94. David Eyres scored a great right footed volley down the other end to put us 2 goals up. In the time added on Blackpool scored and it was a.nervy finish. It was also the game where at half time, someone connected with their club was arrested on the pitch for inviting the away fans. Some memorable trips to the seaside down the years.

Silkyskills1
Posts: 3967
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:39 pm
Been Liked: 1086 times
Has Liked: 1503 times
Location: Rawtenstall

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:02 pm

I remember this game. It was extremely windy for that time of the year. Just over a year later we went there in the Autoglass Trophy, we t one down and ended up winning 1-3.
As for the game where the referee added on a lot of time at the end with us leading 0-2, that was towards the end of the promotion season of 93-94. David Eyres scored a great right footed volley down the other end to put us 2 goals up. In the time added on Blackpool scored and it was a.nervy finish. It was also the game where at half time, someone connected with their club was arrested on the pitch for inviting the away fans. Some memorable trips to the seaside down the years.
Edit: inciting not inviting.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Posts: 3990
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:52 am
Been Liked: 1296 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:05 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:02 pm
I remember this game. It was extremely windy for that time of the year. Just over a year later we went there in the Autoglass Trophy, we t one down and ended up winning 1-3.
As for the game where the referee added on a lot of time at the end with us leading 0-2, that was towards the end of the promotion season of 93-94. David Eyres scored a great right footed volley down the other end to put us 2 goals up. In the time added on Blackpool scored and it was a.nervy finish. It was also the game where at half time, someone connected with their club was arrested on the pitch for inviting the away fans. Some memorable trips to the seaside down the years.
Edit: inciting not inviting.
The guy getting arrested in front of the away end will go down in history! I believe he was filming a BBC documentary (that was the rumour) I can’t believe that footage has never come out of him being led away in handcuffs!
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

icu81b4
Posts: 1739
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:55 pm
Been Liked: 303 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by icu81b4 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:06 pm

I think I was at that game standing with my Blackpool supporting mates

JohnDearyMe
Posts: 1703
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:31 pm
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 1186 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by JohnDearyMe » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:30 pm

groove wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:24 pm
The exit from the Spion Kip was a death trap. All the terrace exited by one bottle neck walkway at the side. Being shuffled along unable to move your arms. Was always relieved when I reached the exit gate as a young lad.
Wonder how many Burnley fans were on the Kop at Blackpool for those derbies in the 90s? Seemed like a lot at the time but maybe not. Always remembered being confused why one half of the stand was deemed safe but not the other

Loyalclaret
Posts: 1221
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:00 pm
Been Liked: 253 times
Has Liked: 168 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by Loyalclaret » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:02 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:02 pm
I remember this game. It was extremely windy for that time of the year. Just over a year later we went there in the Autoglass Trophy, we t one down and ended up winning 1-3.
As for the game where the referee added on a lot of time at the end with us leading 0-2, that was towards the end of the promotion season of 93-94. David Eyres scored a great right footed volley down the other end to put us 2 goals up. In the time added on Blackpool scored and it was a.nervy finish. It was also the game where at half time, someone connected with their club was arrested on the pitch for inviting the away fans. Some memorable trips to the seaside down the years.
Edit: inciting not inviting.
Was the guy being arrested 93/94? I was at that game and thought it was later. Wasn't he being interviewed infront of the paddock holding Burnley fans

Quickenthetempo
Posts: 11508
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 2580 times
Has Liked: 1394 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:38 am

Was it 91 the away game at Blackpool was on boxing day or New Years day?
I remember a couple of Burnley fans run on the pitch at the end of the game and made there way over to their fans behind the goal.
Their end had emptied by the time they got there and as a young lad it looked like they had chased off thousands of fans on their own.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Posts: 3990
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:52 am
Been Liked: 1296 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:47 am

Loyalclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:02 am
Was the guy being arrested 93/94? I was at that game and thought it was later. Wasn't he being interviewed infront of the paddock holding Burnley fans
Yes right in front of the paddock. Started as light hearted banter until the coins started flying at him and then understandably he got a bit angry!!

Steve-Harpers-perm
Posts: 3990
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:52 am
Been Liked: 1296 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:48 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:38 am
Was it 91 the away game at Blackpool was on boxing day or New Years day?
I remember a couple of Burnley fans run on the pitch at the end of the game and made there way over to their fans behind the goal.
Their end had emptied by the time they got there and as a young lad it looked like they had chased off thousands of fans on their own.
There was a pitch invasion at the end of the game when Eyres scored that volley.

JohnDearyMe
Posts: 1703
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:31 pm
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 1186 times

Re: Blackpool v Burnley 1990

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:55 am

Loyalclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:02 am
Was the guy being arrested 93/94? I was at that game and thought it was later. Wasn't he being interviewed infront of the paddock holding Burnley fans
I have a hazy memory of the documentary that was made. Think the guy had a series of paving stones put down in his back garden after an artist got some Blackpool players to make their footprints in some cement.

Just looked it up and the guys name was Gary Cook and the documentary went out in 1997. Don't think the footage of his arrest made the final cut though!

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/f7462e66856 ... 709901181c
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

Post Reply