Enjoyment

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Fez
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Enjoyment

Post by Fez » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:58 am

Regardless of result, when was the last time you enjoyed watching the way we play? For myself, I've found viewing frustrating since the first lockdown but a lot of that is from not being able to go as well as the style. I do think we'll improve and I do think we'll stay up but watching us just isn't bringing any enjoyment what so ever, currently. I'll never not watch either regardless of how much a chore its become :lol:

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: Enjoyment

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:17 am

Palace away last season we played some excellent footy but on the whole it can be a hard watch. I remember laughing at my Rovers mate (note mate not mates, one is enough) when he kept complaining about the football under BFS..............
Last edited by Vegas Claret on Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Fez Quickenthetempo

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:30 am

I think when you go to the game live, you enjoy the day as it’s the whole day out, I enjoy the day out far more than the game and always have, sometimes the games an inconvenience when you look at your watch and realise it’s 2:45.

I think with the way footballs gone over the last few years, I’ll probably go and watch far less games these days and just pick and choose them based on which of my mates are going and the sort of day out it will be.

Probably going to try and start taking my 6/7 year old next season and see if I can get her hooked like I used to be as a young lad.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is, Burnley can be hard to watch but I’ve tried to watch other teams and find that even harder to watch. I can meet my mates in a pub up Padiham, watch the games with a few beers and enjoy the day out far more
Last edited by Burnley1989 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: Fez cockneyclaret BurnleyFC

Fez

Post by Fez » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:32 am

Palace away was a great watch and we played well a few times after the restart, just a shame we couldn't go on. Viewing is certainly getting painful now but we'll have to ride it out, still in the prem and not in the relegation zone - could be a hell of a lot worse. Here's hoping for some additions to the team in this window

Fez

Post by Fez » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:36 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:30 am
I think when you go to the game live, you enjoy the day as it’s the whole day out, I enjoy the day out far more than the game and always have, sometimes the games an inconvenience when you look at your watch and realise it’s 2:45.

I think with the way footballs gone over the last few years, I’ll probably go and watch far less games these days and just pick and choose them based on which of my mates are going and the sort of day out it will be.

Probably going to try and start taking my 6/7 year old next season and see if I can get her hooked like I used to be as a young lad.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is, Burnley can be hard to watch but I’ve tried to watch other teams and find that even harder to watch. I can meet my mates in a pub up Padiham, watch the games with a few beers and enjoy the day out far more
Its an inconvenience when its 2.45 and you've still got a full pint :lol: I'm the same though, it's more than the actual game and when the quality in the game isn't there and we're stuck at home its probably just highlighted more from us.

Mines 3 now so ill be taking her on soon enough but ill probably move into the Jimmy Mac when I do. Here's to hoping we can go to the game at some point in 2021.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:57 am

Palace away we were excellent
Bournemouth at home
West ham at home
Man United away for the goals and the result

Not much this season, but we have had a disjointed team, never been at full strength, and we have failed to freshen up a squad that is ageing and probably tiring with the workload.
Games are coming thick and fast, and whilst confidence is low, and performance is poor, that's never a good thing IMO.
This user liked this post: Fez

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:02 am

I expected us to be well- beaten by Wolves at home. We employed good tactics with overlapping fullbacks getting up the pitch. We got crossed into the box. Wood and Barnes looked like a partnership.

I enjoyed that game a lot.
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret Fez

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:08 am

I started paying for Sky Sports on Now TV when the games became all televised last year. I cancelled it last night.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:29 am

Didn't renew my ST in the early bird period because I couldn't go through watching that anymore. Then came lockdown so a good decision on my behalf. Will go to the odd game not much tbh.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:34 am

I massively enjoyed the football we played at Palace post-lockdown with McNeil operating in behind Vydra. I thought some of that was magnificent. We also played some really decent stuff against Bournemouth at home just pre-lockdown with Jay and Vydra giving their defence nightmares.

As you can see there is a bit of a pattern there, and the relationship between my enjoyment of the game and the absence of the Wood-Barnes axis is a causal one. Sadly, for Dyche is it clearly the opposite.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:35 am

Looking forward to the enjoyment of returning to Turf Moor and a going to away games when I can. The style of play is why we've retained Premier Leage status - it's functional, pragmatic and has delivered. Not always easy to watch of course and will be heavily criticised by some people, especially when we are in an uncomfortable league position.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:36 am

I always enjoy it.

If I didn't I wouldn't bother, it'd be a bit stupid to keep doing something that you don't enjoy.
These 2 users liked this post: Fez Loyalclaret

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:41 am

Can i add another question to this if we got relegated would you miss the Premier League and it being a cash cow but we cant compete because we have no money,the constant blatant cheating by average "world class players"the constant favouring of the better teams by referees,useless VAR decisions,dickhead goal celabrations by the likes of Pogba & Antonio,Allardyce thinking hes the messiah,Dyche's after game interviews claiming things none of our support believe,im sure there are many other things i wouldn't miss and im sure some of you could add things you wouldnt miss the novelty of the Premier league has worn off for me,id like to see us play football again win a few games and after say "i really enjoyed that"
Last edited by Steve1956 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:43 am

Can't watch us on the box, I get to anxious and find it frustrating. Definitely prefer matchday on the Turf, but have to say I've not enjoyed the football for a while now, and take only a fleeting notice of what's going on.

We've a fantastic manager, but hand on heart, I don't like his tactics.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:45 am

jdrobbo wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:02 am
I expected us to be well- beaten by Wolves at home. We employed good tactics with overlapping fullbacks getting up the pitch. We got crossed into the box. Wood and Barnes looked like a partnership.

I enjoyed that game a lot.
Yes that's the one game this season where we've put in a performance for the whole 90 minutes, and we could have won that by 4/5 in the end.

Unfortunately that's the exception to the rule, now if and when we're digging results out, and sitting pretty in the league, then you can tolerate the style, the problem is when both performances and results are poor, and that is certainly the case ATM, I think and fervently hope we will turn it around as we often do, but apart from the defence there's little to enthuse about our play this season, and you can't even say it's effective, hence why we're sitting 4th bottom of the league, and struggling to score goals.

The one real highlight of the season was winning at the Emirates, and finally getting that monkey off our back, but even in that game we needed an own goal to claim the 3 points, and that sums up our season thus far, no cutting edge where it matters.

Targetman
Been Liked: 502 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:51 am

claret2018 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:08 am
I started paying for Sky Sports on Now TV when the games became all televised last year. I cancelled it last night.
Probably for the best now that the season is going to be suspended! 😉

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:56 am

Targetman wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:51 am
Probably for the best now that the season is going to be suspended! 😉
Er and that too!

I’m still surprised at least one squad hasn’t been wiped out by it yet.

Hopefully fixtures can carry on, but I stand by my prediction that the league won’t finish!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:50 am

No point worrying about it. This is Dyche's way. Bearable when results are going our way.
Horrible in defeat.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:56 am

claret2018 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:56 am
Er and that too!

I’m still surprised at least one squad hasn’t been wiped out by it yet.

Hopefully fixtures can carry on, but I stand by my prediction that the league won’t finish!
Villa?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:03 pm

You cant beat being at the game for enjoyment...sure the Last attended game was spurs...preceded by Leicester and Man utd. Watching on tv is not a good option for me.....

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:12 pm

Being an exile the only good thing about Covid is that it has given me the chance to watch most of the games. Not sure if it is enjoyable as you go through a roller coaster of emotions but this is still the club I was born to love. After so many years of watching games at Gillingham, Orient, Barnet, Brentford and Wimbledon it is still fantastic to see us battling in the Premier Leagye.
These 2 users liked this post: Fez JimmyRobbo

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:13 pm

To be honest, I’ve learned to accept and enjoy our defensive discipline. It’s nerve-wracking, but I still enjoy our games.

I also think we have been playing some decent football sporadically. Yesterday we dominated, I thought, before the goal, then for parts of the second half. I think we played decent football in passages, but rarely sustain it and really heap the pressure on.

Last night there were times when we just needed to play with more urgency and pace. We may miss the crowds in that respect.

Also enjoyed the United match - again, decent passages of play, mainly in the first half.

After lockdown I’ll be going to the Turf and appreciating freedom just as much as I did beforehand (every game I can), but have also decided that I’ll be visiting more away. This whole experience has taught me to make as many memories as you can, so I’ll be looking to do that and take the kids to as many grounds as possible.

Interesting comment about the game being an inconvenience at 2:45. I love a pint or five just, but for me I enjoy the anticipation of the match. After a few beers, I love the walk to the Turf, getting to my seat, hearing the crowd get behind the team in the early stages. If it weren’t for the anticipation of the game, I wouldn’t enjoy the pints so much and it’d just be like any night out you can arrange with your mates.
These 2 users liked this post: Fez JimmyRobbo

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:23 pm

Last edited by MrTopTier on Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:24 pm

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:33 pm

Agree with many of the comments. The day or afternoon out having a laugh with family and friends is a massive part of it. The unattractive style of football is bearable when you can actually go to games especially when he win. Watching these games on TV with no fans and our style of play hold absolutely no enjoyment for me and I won't be watching again until I can go back to the Turf. Not unless we sign some players and start at least trying to play some football. My hope is that the new ownership mean we can sign players on a regular basis that let us play some vaguely attractive football while staying in the Premier League. We are so limited by lack of pace to run in behind, lack of creativity from midfield, lack of ability to counter attack swiftly, especially when we spend so much time defending and lack of players who can go past a man or put a decent cross in. Been watching since division 4 days but this style of football is so boring and predictable. Dyche should look to freshen up personnel and hire an attacking coach as we have no idea when we get into the opposition half.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:37 pm

MrTopTier wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:24 pm
Just in case you had forgotten.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03YlT4z ... ONDmAdw6IQ
How could anyone not enjoy a game like that, for example.

Going 2-0 in front, the second a great goal, even better when they go in off the bar, and then a master class in defending.

I'll bet some of our supporters would rather us try and get a third rather than sit on a brilliant 2-0 lead.

I wouldn't as it was great to watch Man U. simply running out of ideas.

That is Sean Dyche at his brilliant best and a great display in parking the bus!
These 2 users liked this post: MrTopTier Fez

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:40 pm

Flat Stanley wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:33 pm
Agree with many of the comments. The day or afternoon out having a laugh with family and friends is a massive part of it. The unattractive style of football is bearable when you can actually go to games especially when he win. Watching these games on TV with no fans and our style of play hold absolutely no enjoyment for me and I won't be watching again until I can go back to the Turf. Not unless we sign some players and start at least trying to play some football. My hope is that the new ownership mean we can sign players on a regular basis that let us play some vaguely attractive football while staying in the Premier League. We are so limited by lack of pace to run in behind, lack of creativity from midfield, lack of ability to counter attack swiftly, especially when we spend so much time defending and lack of players who can go past a man or put a decent cross in. Been watching since division 4 days but this style of football is so boring and predictable. Dyche should look to freshen up personnel and hire an attacking coach as we have no idea when we get into the opposition half.
We regularly played better football the year we won the 4th Div. Our current hoofball is crap to watch.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:41 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:13 pm
I also think we have been playing some decent football sporadically. Yesterday we dominated, I thought, before the goal, then for parts of the second half. I think we played decent football in passages, but rarely sustain it and really heap the pressure on.
So we dominated for the first 6/7 minutes? And that's a positive?

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:49 pm

Murger wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:41 pm
So we dominated for the first 6/7 minutes? And that's a positive?
I wasn’t saying that. I was saying we played decent football in patches, which I enjoyed. As I think others have said elsewhere, we had more possession, passes, etc than WHU away from home.

The thread was about when we last enjoyed watching a match and my point was I enjoyed watching those bits we dominated yesterday. Whilst recognising we don’t seem able to sustain it for long periods.
These 2 users liked this post: Fez tim_noone

Fez

Post by Fez » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:07 pm

I don't think dyche would even consider a change in style unless there was substantial investment for new players though.

JimmyRobbo
Been Liked: 490 times
Has Liked: 871 times

Post by JimmyRobbo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:53 pm

I love frustrating the big teams.

They are all big teams compared to us. Even Fulham, West Brom and Brighton.

If we seriously think we can out football teams on our budget then we are going to take a lot of shoeings from teams. I think people will still be moaning, either way.

I'm happy being able to compete with likes of table topping Man Utd; albeit under the cosh for the majority of the match. Not great, but that it what I signed up for when I became a Burnley fan and not a glory grabber.

Fez

Post by Fez » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:58 pm

I'd take the effort we put in vs United every week with 1 classy goal thrown in there every now and then, but I just can't see where the goals are going to come from at present.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:05 pm

Fez wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:58 pm
I'd take the effort we put in vs United every week with 1 classy goal thrown in there every now and then, but I just can't see where the goals are going to come from at present.
Prior to the United game we'd won three and drawn one of our previous four matches at home.

I think that's easily forgotten.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:24 pm

I used to enjoy the football we played when we had Vokes, Ings and Gray up front. We no longer have the skill or pace we had then and our attacks seem more like a battering ram than a lock pick.

Fez

Post by Fez » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:30 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:05 pm
Prior to the United game we'd won three and drawn one of our previous four matches at home.

I think that's easily forgotten.
Completely agree. I was trying to insinuate that regardless of the style you can't fault the team for the effort we've been showing, its just not enjoyable.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:10 pm

Firthy wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:24 pm
I used to enjoy the football we played when we had Vokes, Ings and Gray up front. We no longer have the skill or pace we had then and our attacks seem more like a battering ram than a lock pick.
But fans moaned then re.Andre gray. Get him back I say......ole ole ole!

Fez

Post by Fez » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:14 pm

Moaning is what we do best

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 pm

Testing

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:29 pm

We are the lowest scorers in all 4 divisions

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:09 pm

The style under Dyche is tolerable when we are winning but for me it’s worse than what we were serving up in the latter moments under Cotterill when we aren’t.

The most frustrating thing is we never change. You can name the starting line up every week, we are so predictable. That is down to the manager.

Fez

Post by Fez » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:13 pm

Right_winger wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:09 pm
The style under Dyche is tolerable when we are winning but for me it’s worse than what we were serving up in the latter moments under Cotterill when we aren’t.

The most frustrating thing is we never change. You can name the starting line up every week, we are so predictable. That is down to the manager.
Certainly no element of surprise regarding tactics or formation for the opposition

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:39 pm

oh for a fitter and younger Defour

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:43 pm

I enjoy watching our defence. Hours of coaching and drills has gone into that well oiled machine. Take your pleasure where you can.