Tom Anderson

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claretincraven
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Tom Anderson

Post by Claretincraven » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:23 am

There is an excellent article in today's Yorkshire Post about Tom Anderson, who has now been made Doncaster Rovers captain. A Burnley lad started with us from a very young age, never quite made it at senior level before going to Doncaster in 2018. Speaks very highly of us, and of what he learnt from Dyche. Sorry, I dont have a link, and I appreciate dandeclaret wont consider it to be a proper newspaper 😉

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2310 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Re: Tom Anderson

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:28 am

Be nice for him to work his way up the leagues, met him a few times at christenings of my friends children, nice lad.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 7571 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:38 am

Claretincraven
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Claretincraven » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:40 am

That's the one. Thanks.

ecc
Been Liked: 1437 times
Has Liked: 1285 times

Post by ecc » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:33 pm

Good article and very positive about our club. From everything I've read about Tom Anderson he's a first-class lad and an "old school" pro.

Thought I'd post the article.

Thank you, Claretincraven and Buxtonclaret.

West Ham United v Doncaster Rovers - Tom Anderson proud to take the captaincy for FA Cup challenge
A LIKEABLE, self-effacing Lancashire lad with a distinct Red Rose burr, Tom Anderson looks and sounds like a bit of a gentle giant.
By Leon Wobschall
Saturday, 23rd January 2021, 6:00 am
Updated 5 hours ago
New captain: Doncaster's Tom Anderson. Picture: Marie Caley
No one should be overly deceived.
Doncaster Rovers’ new captain may adopt a modest persona off the pitch. On it, he is rather more forceful and authoritative.

High praise on social media came from his vastly-experienced defensive colleague Andy Butler – who has seen a fair bit in football – after last Saturday’s win at Swindon Town when Anderson was not to be moved, even blocking one shot from a home player with his face.

Those hard-to-please senior professionals whom he used to rub shoulders with at Burnley’s modest training ground at Gawthorpe Hall – before it was redeveloped – would have even been impressed.

Anderson never cracked it at his boyhood club, but he was provided with an education in football which proved priceless and will always be with him.
He did the hard yards on loan at the likes of Barrow, Hyde, FC Halifax Town and Chesterfield and was also part of a training-ground culture at Burnley which did not suffer fools. Neither did the manager who drove sky-high standards daily.
The quiet young professional who came to training each day kept his head down, took lessons on board and learned plenty.
Today, Anderson will step out at a Premier League ground against the claret and blue of West Ham with the captain’s armband resplendent.

There will be plenty who will be delighted for him back in his native East Lancashire.
Anderson told The Yorkshire Post: “In terms of what I learned there (at Burnley), I try to take with me and bring a little bit into Doncaster now.
“Coming through at Burnley, it was the best atmosphere and environment to come through. You had to be a strong character and there were some intimidating players. Not in a bad way, but they demanded quality and if you did not deliver, they would tell you.
“I owe a lot to the people at Burnley, such as the manager who is still there (Sean Dyche).

“I came through at a time where you still needed to be on it every day with no mistakes. It was a case of ‘don’t let any days pass you by.’
“It was about really working hard to get what you deserve.
“The first team and the manager were brilliant. All the management staff, to be honest – the assistant Ian Woan and a few more.
“Player-wise, I was a bit quiet and kept myself to myself. But I used to watch the likes of Michael Duff and Jason Shackell and towards the end I was there, Michael Keane came in and even though he was at a similar age, the fact he’d been at Manchester United, who are a massive club, meant I’d watch and learn from him. I couldn’t ask for more.”

Just a week on from his boyhood club striding out at the London Stadium, Anderson will also be in the visiting dressing room today.
As someone who supported Burnley as a young lad home and away, the 27-year-old has a lot of time for the domestic cup competitions and can recall some famous moments against clubs from the capital.
Part of a Clarets crowd who sampled some Cup highs, the football fan in Anderson admits that the sight of him and his Doncaster team-mates not being roared on by a fair few thousand from South Yorkshire on the club’s first visit to the Hammers new home today is disappointing.
He continued: “There’s a few games I remember in the cups. Burnley beat Arsenal and Tottenham once and I always watched the FA Cup, which is a massive competition and it means a lot to us all.

“It is a shame what is still going on in the world that no fans will be there. But we all have to keep going and pull through together and, hopefully, sooner rather than later, we might get fans back in towards the end of the season.
“We don’t know, but that’s what we are all hoping for. We’ll wait and see.”
Despite the absence of supporters at games, it does not mean the fans cannot bask in Cup kudos as Doncastrians did from afar after victory at Blackburn in the third round.
That result also went down rather well with one Burnley supporting member of Anderson’s family, who took great delight in the elimination of the Clarets’ big rivals.

It was an afternoon at Ewood Park when Doncaster showed resolution and proficiency in equal measure. They will have to do that and plenty more besides to compete today.
On Doncaster’s shock win at Blackburn, Anderson added: “I got a few messages – from my brother especially, who is a big Burnley fan. I got a few ‘well done’ calls and it was a good one.
“In the Cup games this season, we have had to really dig in and that just shows the character of the squad and we keep going until the very end. It can take you a long way.
“You can have a lot of talent, but if you don’t graft day in and day out, you won’t get very far.

“We have some great lads in this squad who work for each other and we get results.”
Rovers’ progression in the third round came without their midfield talisman in Ben Whiteman, with his subsequent big-money transfer to Preston North End having ramifications for Anderson, in particular.
The big defender has been named by Doncaster manager Darren Moore as the club’s new captain following the departure of Whiteman – and over time, things will change another way.
Before social distancing regulations, Whiteman and Anderson were part of a ‘car share’ of team-mates who split the driving to travel into training from the north-west each day.

When things get back to normal, their number will be one fewer, although Anderson admits to being personally pleased for his good friend Whiteman at securing his high-profile move.
Anderson said: “Me and Ben started off a little car share, so it was a little bit sad to see him leave as it had been two-and-a-half years.
“But he has been an unbelievable player and deserves it with his performances and we all wish him the very best.
“At the minute, we cannot actually drive in together. But I have still got Reece James and Jon Taylor to keep me on my toes, don’t you worry about that.”

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Tom Anderson makes very nice guitars.
This user liked this post: jetblackcat

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:03 pm

My wife taught Tom in Accrington. Always followed his progress and so pleased to see him captain of Doncaster Rovers. The qualities he showed in school are still with him as a 27 year old today. Good luck to him today and in the future.

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 1620 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:27 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:03 pm
My wife taught Tom in Accrington. Always followed his progress and so pleased to see him captain of Doncaster Rovers. The qualities he showed in school are still with him as a 27 year old today. Good luck to him today and in the future.
There's every chance she taught my son and possibly sons too then.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:34 pm

Top lad is Tom. I’m really pleased for him being able to establish himself at Donny.

Andingle
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 353 times

Post by Andingle » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:19 pm

Very grounded and humble lad is Tom, known him from an U8 and couldnt wish any success on a nicer person 👍

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:30 pm

Despite being well beaten today Donnie look a good side and try to play progressive football.Tom is a good skipper but Wright looked very good .