New Eco Product: Hard Soap

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

New Eco Product: Hard Soap

Post by Rowls » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:16 pm

I was at the local supermarket the other day when I spotted what looked like short fat chocolate bars in the hand soap section.

Naturally I immediately alerted the staff there of their error but they informed me these lumps were a solid form of hand soap.

Yes! Scientists have found a way of making solid state soap! What will they think of next eh?

If you've not seen these new "bars" of soap allow to explain what they are:

It's exactly the same product as hand soap but it comes in a solid state or "bar". "Hard soap", if you like.

It's very simple to use. You hold the "bar" in your hands and run it under the taps as you wash your hands. This is where it gets weird - a tiny layer of the hard soap rubs off on your hands like regular liquid hand soap to form what they call a "lather". You then wash your hands normally like you would do with regular liquid hand soap.

Most of these new-fangled "bars" of soap even fit snugly into that strange little inset you sometimes get in old-fashioned sinks.

"But why on earth would we use this new solid soap when we've been using normal liquid soap for so long, Rowls?"

Allow me to explain: Solid state "hard soap" has several advantages over liquid soap.

1. It's much, MUCH cheaper. If we were being cynical we might imagine that companies like P&G were encouraging us to buy needlessly expensive liquid soaps.
2. It lasts much, MUCH longer. If we were being cynical we might imagine that companies like P&G were encouraging us to buy needlessly wasteful products like liquid soaps.
3. It is far more environmentally friendly: It can be packaged by wrapping it up in a small amount of paper. It doesn't need a plastic dispenser. In a world when we're all trying to reduce needless plastic use hard soap is something we could all easily switch to without losing anything. In fact, we could all save a couple of pence by doing so. Liquid soap has been found to have a carbon footprint 25 TIMES greater than hard soap.

"Ah, but my liquid soap is anti-bacterial! It says so on the plastic dispenser! How can hard soap possibly compete with that?"

It turns out that hard soap is just as good at cleaning your hands as liquid soap. That's right! Unbelievable, isn't it? There is NO difference in effectiveness between the liquid soap and bars of solid state "hard soap".

Save your money folks. Save the environment.

Use "hard soap".
These 3 users liked this post: chekhov fatboy47 Zlatan

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Re: New Eco Product: Hard Soap

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:33 pm

I use nowt but wright's coal tar soap... Including for washing my barnet.
These 3 users liked this post: Rowls dougcollins LeadBelly

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:35 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:33 pm
Is "washing your Barnet" a euphemism 🤭
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:40 pm

Would you use hard soap when washing your hands in a public restroom? I have grave concerns over the hygienic properties of soap when in its hardest form.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:43 pm

Ladies like hard soap when bathing.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:40 pm
Would you use hard soap when washing your hands in a public restroom? I have grave concerns over the hygienic properties of soap when in its hardest form.
Ahhhh but what about those germy soap dispensers.....

"Bacteria from fecal matter & other sources can grow inside the dispenser. The sad truth is that soap from bulk soap dispensers is prone to becoming contaminated. According to recent studies, contaminated soap may actually do the opposite of what they're supposed to do"

I think its best to wash your hands before using a soap dispenser ... ohhhh hang on a minute🤔

What is needed is contactless soap dispensers
Screenshot_20210126-215021_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210126-215021_Chrome.jpg (614.21 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
Last edited by Bosscat on Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6847 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 pm

I bought some hard soap but had to get shut, it kicked the sh1t out of my wife's Carex hand wash.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Volvoclaret

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:53 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:40 pm
There aren't any problems in using hard soap that has been used by somebody else. You can simply run it under the tap when you wash your hands and it will work the same.

More pertinently, unless you are the owner or manager of said "public restroom" you're highly unlikely to be purchasing this soap.

I'd advise that public toilets pubs, restaurants etc stick with the less environmentally liquid soap because they can buy it in bulk and it easier to dispense for that circumstance.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:55 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 pm
Ahhhh but what about those germy soap dispensers.....

"Bacteria from fecal matter & other sources can grow inside the dispenser. The sad truth is that soap from bulk soap dispensers is prone to becoming contaminated. According to recent studies, contaminated soap may actually do the opposite of what they're supposed to do"

I think its best to wash your hands before using a soap dispenser ... ohhhh hang on a minute🤔

What is needed is contactless soap dispensers
Screenshot_20210126-215021_Chrome.jpg
Exactly.

More plastic.

More unnecessary product.

More soap wasted.

Completely pointless product. No use to anybody whatsoever. A complete waste of your money.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:00 pm

Rowls wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:53 pm
There aren't any problems in using hard soap that has been used by somebody else. You can simply run it under the tap when you wash your hands and it will work the same.

More pertinently, unless you are the owner or manager of said "public restroom" you're highly unlikely to be purchasing this soap.

I'd advise that public toilets pubs, restaurants etc stick with the less environmentally liquid soap because they can buy it in bulk and it easier to dispense for that circumstance.
But would you use hard soap in a public restroom? Surely a staunch advocate of the product would have no hesitation in doing so.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:02 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:00 pm
But would you use hard soap in a public restroom? Surely a staunch advocate of the product would have no hesitation in doing so.
I'd use it but I wouldn't recommend it being stocked there. People don't treat public toilets the same as they use private spaces.

I'm a staunch advocate of buying and using hard soap in domestic spaces.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:06 pm

Rowls wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:02 pm
I'd use it but I wouldn't recommend it being stocked there. People don't treat public toilets the same as they use private spaces.

I'm a staunch advocate of buying and using hard soap in domestic spaces.
I’ve heard it called many things, but a domestic space is a new one for me.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:06 pm

The toilets where I work have been kitted out with hard soap for years now. They operate with a hybrid policy of offering employees a choice of hard soap or liquid soap.

The liquid soap can now be accessed by placing a hand underneath the dispenser, and a sensor will recognise the hand, and will then apply a pre-determined ration of said soap into the palm of the hand. It's a completely touch-free experience.

The hard soap can be found tossed somewhere on the side of the sink unit, worn down to about half of its original size, and with multiple thread-like, curly structures having amalgamated with its surface.

The hard soap certainly is an eco product. Its mixture of biotic and abiotic factors allow for a thriving community.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:09 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:06 pm
The toilets where I work have been kitted out with hard soap for years now. They operate with a hybrid policy of offering employees a choice of hard soap or liquid soap.

The liquid soap can now be accessed by placing a hand underneath the dispenser, and a sensor will recognise the hand, and will then apply a pre-determined ration of said soap into the palm of the hand. It's a completely touch-free experience.

The hard soap can be found tossed somewhere on the side of the sink unit, worn down to about half of its original size, and with multiple thread-like, curly structures having amalgamated with its surface.

The hard soap certainly is an eco product. Its mixture of biotic and abiotic factors allow for a thriving community.
To be fair the wiry black additives often found in hard soap are a naturally occurring exfoliant.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat ksrclaret

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:11 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Dont use it on my hair but always been a big user of Wright's coal tar, lovely clean manly smell. The only downside is it slowly turns the white bath and surround tiles orange. I should've installed orange tinged tiles when I did the bathroom.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat fatboy47

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:13 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:06 pm

Clever machine able to recognise employees hands then 😏
This user liked this post: ksrclaret

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:42 pm

This user liked this post: lesxdp

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:23 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
We knew that! :D

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:39 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
It's the only reason I voted to leave the EU, they banned coal tar in our Wright's soap.

Bring back coal tar, Britain forever.

I use it too, not fo't top o't noggin though.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:08 am

Whatever happened to chunks of bright red carbolic hacked off a giant block in a post match bath with 21 other players whose blood and p1ss and sweat coaxed serenely around your naked aching muscles?

Belvedere certainly still had baths in the 90s. Where else?

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:10 am

Rowls wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:16 pm

Allow me to explain: Solid state "hard soap" has several advantages over liquid soap.

1. It's much, MUCH cheaper. If we were being cynical we might imagine that companies like P&G were encouraging us to buy needlessly expensive liquid soaps.
2. It lasts much, MUCH longer. If we were being cynical we might imagine that companies like P&G were encouraging us to buy needlessly wasteful products like liquid soaps.
3. It is far more environmentally friendly: It can be packaged by wrapping it up in a small amount of paper. It doesn't need a plastic dispenser. In a world when we're all trying to reduce needless plastic use hard soap is something we could all easily switch to without losing anything. In fact, we could all save a couple of pence by doing so. Liquid soap has been found to have a carbon footprint 25 TIMES greater than hard soap.

Use "hard soap".
Hi Rowls, you missed a big advantage, liquid soaps contain an irritant that sets-off dermatological problems on users skins. I understand somewhere between 10% and 20% of the population suffer skin rashes from using liquid soap too often.

I'm a hard soap person.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:57 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:08 am
Whatever happened to chunks of bright red carbolic hacked off a giant block in a post match bath with 21 other players whose blood and p1ss and sweat coaxed serenely around your naked aching muscles?

Belvedere certainly still had baths in the 90s. Where else?
I liked that soap too, I remember it mainly from the baths though. Going with the school to the Central Baths, getting issued with a very rough little towel going in and having that carbolic soap in the showers afterwards. Also sometimes had those buff coloured (Sunlight?) blocks of soap (OK but not in the same league as coal tar or red carbolic IMO).

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1522 times

Post by chekhov » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:21 pm

The op is music to my ears. I use the hard stuff for all my household needs. I’m just now experimenting doing the washing up with coal tar soap, though I reckon I’d be better off with one of those big blocks of Marseille olive oil soap.
Never understood the appeal of liquid soap.
And by the way, what’s the thing with shower gel?? What use is that? Money down the drain as far as I’m concerned.
B3E7452F-0797-4425-BDB1-C48BB6945FD3.jpeg
B3E7452F-0797-4425-BDB1-C48BB6945FD3.jpeg (21.62 KiB) Viewed 977 times
This user liked this post: Rowls

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:35 pm

Rowls wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:16 pm
.....Yes! Scientists have found a way of making solid state soap!
I always thought solid state soap was a modern invention. The traditional way was with valves.

The really modern soap would be digital - i.e, specifically for hand washing.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:51 pm

As far as public toilets are concerned and in the current climate don’t use soap at all, use the sanitiser provided or carry one in case there isn’t one available.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Inchy » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:05 pm

I used to use hard soap and then I met my wife. She liked the posh liquid stuff, however recently we have moved to hard soap because apparently it’s “better for the environment”. No ****

I remember at school the soap was always rock hard and usually about 1/3 of its original size which was a conundrum because it was that hard no matter how long you scrubbed your hand for you never felt like any of the soap was actually leaving at. The only way to get some soap off the bar was to dig your nails into it. I would then be tasting soap for a week every time I stuck my fingers in my gob