Vydra

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Re: Vydra

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:16 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:57 pm
I totally agree apart from all the goals his scored for us.
But not this season. How long do we keep him before giving someone else a chance? For goodness sake, he scored a rare header last week and all his fans go crazy. Don't worry, he's guaranteed a spot for the reat of this season, even if he doesn't score again.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 4575 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:16 pm

Vydra just needs and deserves a goal
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 KateR

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:18 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:00 pm
But just being better on the eye doesn't win you points? Would you prefer lots of games like today which are nice to watch or a very unpleasant, ugly, hard working 1 nil win, er, let's say over Liverpool which gets you 3 points? I think I know which result is the better one. And it's results that count.
I'm glad you brought up 1-0 wins over Liverpool because I watched Brighton beat Liverpool by that score during the week. Brighton held Liverpool comfortably but struggled today to contain our superb passing interplay.
Today was a win on any other day so I'm not going to be comparing it with the many ugly 1-0 wins we normally get. I'll leave that to others and remind them that we actually got a point and result today.
These 3 users liked this post: Conroysleftfoot KateR chekhov

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:22 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:16 pm
But not this season. How long do we keep him before giving someone else a chance? For goodness sake, he scored a rare header last week and all his fans go crazy. Don't worry, he's guaranteed a spot for the reat of this season, even if he doesn't score again.
Are you not also his fan? What an odd thing to say.

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:22 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:11 pm
Fair enough. I like us getting enough points to stay in the PL. Each to their own.
So do I and if you think Barnes and Wood guarantee that then you're sadly mistaken. Maybe look at how many shots on target we had when we played Chelsea at home and they both started. I'll give you a clue..... 0

I can also provide many more examples should you require them.

The fact you think Vydra, who is better to watch, means we're guaranteed to get less points is astounding. As many posters have said, let's see what he can do after a decent run of starts. If he still hasn't scored 2 or 3 in the next 7/8 then fair enough

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:25 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:22 pm
So do I and if you think Barnes and Wood guarantee that then you're sadly mistaken. Maybe look at how many shots on target we had when we played Chelsea at home and they both started. I'll give you a clue..... 0
Can we look at how many we had when we played the same team away with Vydra playing?

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Are you not also his fan? What an odd thing to say.
No, I have to admit that I can't call myself a fan of his, even if it is a bit odd.

Yes, when he's playing, I'd love him to score, but he misses so many absolute sitters for me to be a 'Fan'.

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:26 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:09 pm
Biggest problem we had with Vydra today was he outpaced the Brighton defence, cut in behind them and had to try and find a pass back to the edge of the 18 yard box because we had no other striker bursting into the 6 yard box where they should be. Crying out for a quick striker to play alongside him
The team has a slow and ponderous style of play and lack of pace. Bringing in a player such as Vydra who latches on to balls then stretches a defence and tries to play a ball into the centre of the area is exciting to watch, but often frustrating as his team mates are still huffing and puffing their way up field.
Also frustrated by his poor finishing. To be fair he has had relatively few Premiership minutes, just cameo roles. At this level, a chance flashes before your eyes and can be gone before you know it. It's something he needs to get the measure of quickly.

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:26 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:25 pm
Can we look at how many we had when we played the same team away with Vydra playing?
It wasn't the same team.

Edit - we had exactly the same as Wood and Barnes did when we played them at home. Difference is the Chelsea game was Vydras first start in the league this season
Last edited by DomBFC1882 on Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by Goodclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:27 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
I didn't go crazy because he scored a rare header. It was a fantastic goal and won us 3 points.

Seriously, I've nothing against Vydra and have already commented that he played very well today but I feel, and it appears Dyche does too, that Wood is the better striker (ie putting the ball in the net) and his record for us proves that too. I know you will come back to me and say Vydra hasn't had a proper chance but why would he when Wood has scored so many for us? I genuinely believe we have 4 decent Premier League strikers and I'm happy they are all Burnley players.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:28 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:26 pm
It wasn't the same team
OK, I'll rephrase.

Can we look at how many we had when we played Chelsea away (or Man City at home) with Vydra playing?

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1407 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:30 pm

All the strikers and indeed the squad are doing their best for the club, I think we should support them all.....just a thought
These 4 users liked this post: Burnleyareback2 cricketfieldclarets Elizabeth tiger76

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:31 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:25 pm
No, I have to admit that I can't call myself a fan of his, even if it is a bit odd.

Yes, when he's playing, I'd love him to score, but he misses so many absolute sitters for me to be a 'Fan'.
Bet you were gutted when he scored an absolute beauty of a header, one which I doubt anyone else in our squad is capable of scoring, to earn us 3 points against a very good Villa side.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:31 pm

Always liked Vydra, but he doesn't score a lot i think because of our style of build up play....he just to eager to please at the moment and snatching at stuff. But the lad can play.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:33 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:27 pm
I didn't go crazy because he scored a rare header. It was a fantastic goal and won us 3 points.

Seriously, I've nothing against Vydra and have already commented that he played very well today but I feel, and it appears Dyche does too, that Wood is the better striker (ie putting the ball in the net) and his record for us proves that too. I know you will come back to me and say Vydra hasn't had a proper chance but why would he when Wood has scored so many for us? I genuinely believe we have 4 decent Premier League strikers and I'm happy they are all Burnley players.
As I said a couple of times earlier today, this board is all about opinions. My opinion is that with Vyds, we created more chances in one game than we probably have in the last six or seven games combined. I know one thing , the football we played in the second half was a lot easier on the eye, than anything we've done all season, and Vyds was a large part of that. He was everywhere.

Oh, and it looks like Vyds is going to get MOM on here. How often has Wood done that?
Last edited by Gordaleman on Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 cockneyclaret

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:34 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:30 pm
All the strikers and indeed the squad are doing their best for the club, I think we should support them all.....just a thought
Are you new here? Everything is black and white. You have to nail your colours very firmly to the one mast, and make sure that under no circumstance do you even think about wavering. There is no middle ground allowed on here and I'd prefer it if you keep it that way.

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:36 pm

Why can't people just compliment a player rather than use it as an opportunity to criticise another one?
These 7 users liked this post: Rileybobs KateR bfcmartin cricketfieldclarets Stalbansclaret tiger76 longsidepies

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 547 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:36 pm

If any of the four are to be replaced in the summer I’d say Barnes is the one who requires upgrading on the most. Although if Vydra doesn’t get many more games this season then I suspect it will be him who goes. Barnes has been a fantastic servant for us but I feel his powers are waning and it’s time to part ways . That being said I’m not writing him off at all given his injuries, fingers crossed he’s back to his best soon, his hard work was epic at Anfield!
Last edited by Hedontplayforyou on Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11062 times
Has Liked: 5668 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:36 pm

good interview with him today (for those that don't check the post match interviews thread)
https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/con ... erved-more

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 782 times
Has Liked: 1437 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:41 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:30 pm
Logged in just to like this post.

Goodclaret

Post by Goodclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:42 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:

I can also provide many more examples should you require them.

The fact you think Vydra, who is better to watch, means we're guaranteed to get less points is astounding. As many posters have said, let's see what he can do after a decent run of starts. If he still hasn't scored 2 or 3 in the next 7/8 then fair enough
But, in a sensible discussion, you can't just compare two games like Chelsea and Brighton. You do realise Chelsea are by far a better side/team than Brighton don't you? You do realise we can attack a poorer team far easier than a good team?

You keep using the word "guarantee". I'm not sure why as I haven't stated anywhere that my way of thinking guarantees anything. All I'm saying is what has actually worked in the past is quite a good guide. Vydra is going to get a few games whilst Wood is out so it is up to him to cement that place.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1407 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:44 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:34 pm
Are you new here? Everything is black and white. You have to nail your colours very firmly to the one mast, and make sure that under no circumstance do you even think about wavering. There is no middle ground allowed on here and I'd prefer it if you keep it that way.
Well I've been around the forum for a few years, and generally in life and a claret for 60 years, I'm not one for an argument, like yourself, I just like to support the team put in front of us, I must admit it's bloody difficult at times. UTC.
These 2 users liked this post: Rileybobs tiger76

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:47 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:42 pm
But, in a sensible discussion, you can't just compare two games like Chelsea and Brighton. You do realise Chelsea are by far a better side/team than Brighton don't you? You do realise we can attack a poorer team far easier than a good team?

You keep using the word "guarantee". I'm not sure why as I haven't stated anywhere that my way of thinking guarantees anything. All I'm saying is what has actually worked in the past is quite a good guide. Vydra is going to get a few games whilst Wood is out so it is up to him to cement that place.
So if Vyds only scores as many as Wood (Very few.) no doubt you'll want him dropping again, even though we create far more chances with him on the pitch? Gudders scored because of his movement in the box by the way.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2605 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:50 pm

There's so much good about his game, but ultimately, it's let down by a lack of quality end product.

The drop of the shoulder to do the centre half, turn of pace to go past him, left him advancing on the keeper. He could have shot, he could have found somebody with the pull back - he did neither. The first bit is good, really really good, but worth nothing, because of the execution. Also had a chance to win the game one on one with the keeper, and once again, failed to execute. This isn't a one off, this is a pattern. It's slightly puzzling, because if you drop him a division he scores 20, and maybe the thoughts of others above, on that extra touch are the difference that have caused him to not get the games at this level, or get goals when he does play.
These 2 users liked this post: Goodclaret BabylonClaret

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1491 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:52 pm

Another excellent game now getting game time hes starting to shine thwarted by a very good keeper
He will get the goals soon

Goodclaret

Post by Goodclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:02 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:47 pm
So if Vyds only scores as many as Wood (Very few.) no doubt you'll want him dropping again, even though we create far more chances with him on the pitch? Gudders scored because of his movement in the box by the way.
Whether I want him dropping depends if he is going to prove he can score/take chances better than Wood has already proved. You can't just look at Woods' scoring form this season when very few players have scored in a difficult season so far.

I'm just going to re-arrange a few words in your last sentence:

"Wood scored (against Villa) because Wood scored a really, really good header in the box"

Why is Vydras' movement leading to a goal scored by another player more important to be mentioned than Wood scoring an actual goal?

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:03 pm

I think the teams plays better when he is in it and I think the team will improve if he is given a long enough run of starts, like everyone he has his off days. I thought he was very good today, stretched them a few times and if he had got that elusive goal he would have been excellent, I think he deserves a chance to be in the starting line up for a few more games yet.
This user liked this post: clarethomer

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:44 pm

Class above most of our other players today technically and re Pace. Just needs a goal. Carry right on Vyds.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:55 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
A rare header ? Oh dear...I think his "rare" header was in the same game that the broadcaster put up a stat indicating only Harry Kane had scored more headers than Chris Wood over a certain time period in the Premier League !!!

Why can we not accept that both Vydra and Wood offer different attributes to the team. This ability to bring on players with varied strengths and abilities makes us more dangerous. I'm a fan of Wood as a centre forward but also really welcome the fact that Vydra looks like he can offer us more than he has previously (bar his mini purple-patch last season).
These 2 users liked this post: Goodclaret tiger76

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:55 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:31 pm
Always liked Vydra, but he doesn't score a lot i think because of our style of build up play....he just to eager to please at the moment and snatching at stuff. But the lad can play.
Yes, he must feel under more pressure than is normal due to knowing that he has to make the most of the chances he gets. It happens too often to make me confident the problem will naturally resolve itself. His facial expressions and thumping of the ground give his inner feelings away.
Brilliant today however only Vydra can turn his poor PL goalscoring record around and I hope we have a sports psychiatrist at the club who can unlock this because we potentially have a great player here

strayclaret
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by strayclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:57 pm

Start him every week it gives us something different. Even when we lump it up he seems to win it

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:07 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:42 pm

I'm well aware of how football works thank you and it was another poster who started mentioning other games. My point is that Vydra has impressed yet again and looks our best striker at the minute. As I say let's see if he gets to start a few games now and where his goal tally will be at the end of it.
My point about "guaranteeing" is that when we play the dull football when we just lump it forward, it doesn't either ensure we get points OR make it a good watch.

I'm not saying Wood hasn't done well for us because clearly he has. I think both Wood and Vydra could be a great partnership in the future once they're all fit. Anyway UTC 👍
Last edited by DomBFC1882 on Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:10 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:33 pm
As I said a couple of times earlier today, this board is all about opinions. My opinion is that with Vyds, we created more chances in one game than we probably have in the last six or seven games combined. I know one thing , the football we played in the second half was a lot easier on the eye, than anything we've done all season, and Vyds was a large part of that. He was everywhere.

Oh, and it looks like Vyds is going to get MOM on here. How often has Wood done that?
Well he shouldn't. As Dande says he had three or four decent chances to either get off a shot, beat the keeper or lay off to a colleague but didnt. Lowton was excellent all game and continued his Cafu impression and deserves MOM.

Dont get me wrong I think Vydra played well (I scored him 8 for example) but the big shift in the 2nd half came when JBG suddenly rediscovered his mojo and put in a 9 performance for 35 mins to recover his woeful 3/4 performance in the first 45. Barnes was better too.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 547 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:14 pm

I agree that JBG and Lowton taking us forward down the right helped enormously , however it’s a combination of both those things and more penetrating forward runs from Vydra which helped , it’s not a coincidence that all these things happened together. I’ve not seen our side attack like they did in the second half for quite some time

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:24 pm

Lowton got forward well, but where was his end product? Great chance to put a certain goal on a plate with a cut back second half and muffed it

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:31 pm

taio wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:36 pm
Why can't people just compliment a player rather than use it as an opportunity to criticise another one?
Vydra is hung like a donkey.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3169 times
Has Liked: 6775 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:49 pm

Not picking on any of our forwards in particular:
we seem to be either missing sitters (relatively speaking) or making really bad decisions in and around the penalty area. Is it lack of confidence?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:51 pm

box_of_frogs wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:31 pm
:lol:

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:42 pm

I’d be looking to give Vydra a run of games, most probably alongside Wood. There have been, and are, plenty of strikers that miss more than their fair share of chances, it doesn’t make them poor strikers. Bamford was missing plenty over the last few seasons in the Championship and has done well this season.

With the confidence of a run, and the time to build a partnership, I think Vydra would has ten goals a season in him. I also think that he’d provide his share of assists.

I want to see players grabbing opportunities and Vydra is doing that - even if perhaps it should have come a long time ago.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:36 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:02 pm
Whether I want him dropping depends if he is going to prove he can score/take chances better than Wood has already proved. You can't just look at Woods' scoring form this season when very few players have scored in a difficult season so far.

I'm just going to re-arrange a few words in your last sentence:

"Wood scored (against Villa) because Wood scored a really, really good header in the box"

Why is Vydras' movement leading to a goal scored by another player more important to be mentioned than Wood scoring an actual goal?
You just don't get it, do you? It doesn't matter who scores the goals, so long as someone does. With Vyds on the pitch, we create a lot more chances for 'Someone' to score than we do with Wood. It's simple really. We had 19 shots today, (When did that last happen?) and it wasn't Vyds who missed most of them.

Vyds was also picked out on MOD tonight as the player who created most of our chances.

LTUK89
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by LTUK89 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:20 am

Vydra was fantastic today and we are a better outfit with him in the side, no doubt. There are a lot of people on here who have nailed their colours to the mast regarding Vydra and they won’t change their minds however well he plays. I’m just glad Dyche has finally realised what he brings to the side.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:21 am

He might score on Tuesday. Exciting times.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:13 am

LTUK89 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:20 am
Vydra was fantastic today and we are a better outfit with him in the side, no doubt. There are a lot of people on here who have nailed their colours to the mast regarding Vydra and they won’t change their minds however well he plays. I’m just glad Dyche has finally realised what he brings to the side.
If Vydra can carry on performing like that and add a goal or two here and there, Dyche will find it more and more difficult to drop him.

We’ll see if that is the case when we have four fit strikers to choose from.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:03 am

To me you can’t drop wood. He’s the most likely to score. So it’s any one from three to partner him.

It looks like Barnes talents are fading. But he always comes back to prove otherwise. And this season for whatever reason jay hasn’t looked half the player he has before now. Again sometimes players can just hit a certain age and deteriorate rapidly. Hopefully not the case with jay either.

As well as pace and energy Vydra also has a bit more time on his side.

The other two are probably better finishers. But not so clinical that they’re automatic choice over vydra especially when he is bringing so much else to the team.

It’s not like he can’t hold it up / win free kicks either. He did plenty of that against some big defenders yesterday.

Burnley87
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Burnley87 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:48 am

In the last two seasons he has started 11 games in the premier league for Burnley scoring 1 goal. He has also scored once from the subs bench in two years. He was excellent yesterday but because we rely so heavily on our forwards to score the record he has isn’t good enough. Also his movement on crosses into the box is poor. Chris Wood movement however is good hence he probably has more chances than any of our strikers because of this

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:54 am

box_of_frogs wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:31 pm
No need to keep bringing Wood in to this.
This user liked this post: box_of_frogs

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:06 am

LTUK89 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:20 am
I think we’re extremely lucky to have four top strikers that all offer something different to the team.

What I love about Vydra is his attitude; he’s sat on the bench most of the season yet never complains and when he gets his chance he works his socks off. Second half yesterday was our best attacking display of the season and that was largely due to his movement. Brighton couldn’t handle him.

I think he’s trying a bit too hard at the moment. He needs to just scuff one in, or wait for an opportunity to be created for him, and he’ll be off and running. It’ll be his overall play that keeps him in the team so he needs to focus on that and relax in front of goal.

Goodclaret

Post by Goodclaret » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:08 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:36 pm
You just don't get it, do you? It doesn't matter who scores the goals, so long as someone does. With Vyds on the pitch, we create a lot more chances for 'Someone' to score than we do with Wood. It's simple really. We had 19 shots today, (When did that last happen?) and it wasn't Vyds who missed most of them.

Vyds was also picked out on MOD tonight as the player who created most of our chances.
I DO get it, cheers. I get that Vydra creates chances. I get that Vydra played very, very well yesterday. I get that Vydra offers something different to the other strikers.

On the flip side I get that Wood has scored double figures for us for the last 3 PL seasons. I get why Dyche sees Wood as our best, most clinical striker. I get why Dyche will pick Wood if he is available based on my first two points.

The one thing I do get is that none of my posts on the subject of Vydra are writing him off. I don't just say Wood should play and Vydra should rot. I have already said I like all 4 of our strikers. Vydra offers us something and I want him to stay at the club as a rotating striker. I just don't get fans who don't think Wood is any good when his record for scoring is totally the opposite.

Anyway, I will leave it there for now and I hope Vydra has as good a game during the week as he did yesterday. If he becomes more clinical in front of goal, along with his other attributes then he will begin to build his case of being picked ahead of Wood.

I hope that explains my views in a balanced way Gordaleman. Enjoy your Sunday.

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:17 am

We have 4 effective strikers. The main thing is to make sure there rotated when there individual form dips. This hasn’t been the case so people get frustrated. When on form all 4 are decent players they just all need a fair crack of the whip.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:52 am

I like Vydra because he brings something different to Wood in the way he plays, Wood is probably the better goal scorer but that is what Wood does and if he is not scoring regularly like he isn`t this season he contribution is minimal as his hold up play is very poor, one of the criticisms of our team is we rely too much on our front two for goals and not enough other players chip in but yesterday Vydras hold up play was brilliant and it allowed other players time to get forward and as a result several players Pieters, Cork, Westwood, Gudmunsson, McNeil all had attempts on goal, on another day maybe 1 or 2 of those chances go in and it`s happy days, today not quite but for me that is the difference between Wood/Vydra one scores more but we rely on his performance on the day the other will assist more players to get in on the act even if he isn`t producing the goals.
This user liked this post: Claretmonkey77