Woan and Grealish

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Re: Woan and Grealish

Post by superdimitri » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:37 am

Like most talents, their bane is arrogance. Cut that out and then you have a real chance of being one of the best. Similar things had been said about Ronaldo at United but he soon realised if he cut the unselfishness out of his game he'd be a great.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5093 times
Has Liked: 6918 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:14 am

All Woan said was don't worry Grealish, hairdressers will be open soon you'll be able to get your roots done then.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:10 am

Still trying to work out the reference to kebabs ?

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:13 pm

Maybe he misheard when Ian Woan said 'How are you getting on without Driving'

775claret
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by 775claret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:19 pm

JohnMac wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:13 pm
Maybe he misheard when Ian Woan said 'How are you getting on without Driving'
Would have been really funny if Woan said "How are the driving lessons coming along Jack? Put in for your test yet?"
This user liked this post: JohnMac

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:32 pm

bobinho wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:08 pm
Oh he’s better than sterling, and no mistake. He’s a real talent. With him and foden coming thru at the same time, the national side, if managed well, could be really really good.
Foden and Grealish coming through at the same time?

Foden is 20. Grealish is 25, 26 this year. He’s only 15 months younger than Sterling.

Better than Sterling? Based on what? Compare medals won, Champions League games played, international caps, whatever you want .... there’s just no way.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:37 pm

Grealish is to Villa what Zaha is to Palace and I enjoy the moments they stand and look so hard done by, that you want to weep for them if you could only stop laughing. Rumour has it their hero is called Neymar a rugged type of player as long as it is not windy or......
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

bobinho
Been Liked: 4110 times
Has Liked: 6592 times

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:48 pm

Better than sterling based on how much control he has over the ball and how he uses it. Same generation as foden, so yeah same time. Could have ten years together in the same team.

Medals won means nowt. Champions league games played means nowt. International caps means nowt. All that proves is that sterling has been better placed to achieve those things. If grealish played for Chelsea or Liverpool and had done for the last 5/6 years, the stats you want to use would read more or less the same.

Watch the games. Watch the player. Jack Grealish is simply a better footballer than sterling. He’s technically better. He’s one of the best players in Europe. If he ever gets managed properly, he’ll be world class.

I like Sterling. He’s always busy and always looking for that dangerous space to get into. In my opinion, he’s not as good as Grealish.

Actually, my mate just said something worth thinking about.... Grealish makes Villa what they are. Take him out and give him to Brighton, they instantly become a much better side, so would we and so would any other side in the PL. I don’t think Sterling is that influential.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:53 pm

bobinho wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:48 pm
Better than sterling based on how much control he has over the ball and how he uses it. Same generation as foden, so yeah same time. Could have ten years together in the same team.

Medals won means nowt. Champions league games played means nowt. International caps means nowt. All that proves is that sterling has been better placed to achieve those things. If grealish played for Chelsea or Liverpool and had done for the last 5/6 years, the stats you want to use would read more or less the same.

Watch the games. Watch the player. Jack Grealish is simply a better footballer than sterling. He’s technically better. He’s one of the best players in Europe. If he ever gets managed properly, he’ll be world class.

I like Sterling. He’s always busy and always looking for that dangerous space to get into. In my opinion, he’s not as good as Grealish.

Actually, my mate just said something worth thinking about.... Grealish makes Villa what they are. Take him out and give him to Brighton, they instantly become a much better side, so would we and so would any other side in the PL. I don’t think Sterling is that influential.

Grealish makes Villa what they are.

Checks notes ..... that’ll be 10th in the Premier League. 17th the year before that and a Championship side the two years before that.

Sterling isn’t that influential? He’s top goal scorer and second in the assists for top of the league. He was their top scorer last year, second top the year before.

Even by your own rationale you’re wrong.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Dike Muff

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4265 times

Post by Greenmile » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:59 pm

bobinho wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:48 pm

You don’t think Brighton or Burnley would become a much better side if Sterling were playing for us / them?

Or are you saying that Sterling isn’t as influential to City as Grealish is to Villa? That would be true, of course, but is just the flip side to the rest of your argument above. ie - Grealish is only influential because he plays for a lesser side, and wouldn’t stand out as much at a club like City (but would probably win more honours / caps).

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:02 pm

Grealish is impressive with plenty of room for even further improvement but to say clearly that he's already better than Sterling feels far-fetched to say the least.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:09 pm

Grealish is 26 this year. How much better is he going to get?

There’s a reason he still plays at Villa at that age. Completely agree with the Zaha analogy. I think you could say Le Tissier too. One of the best players in Europe? C’mon?

Sterling is levels above. At 17 he was one of the best players in a Liverpool side that finished second in the league playing incredible football. I’d say only Harry Kane is a better English footballer.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:11 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:59 pm
You don’t think Brighton or Burnley would become a much better side if Sterling were playing for us / them?
Robbie Brady or Aaron Connolly keeping him out of the teams!!!
This user liked this post: Greenmile

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:12 pm

Socrates wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:09 pm

There’s a reason he still plays at Villa at that age. Completely agree with the Zaha analogy. I think you could say Le Tissier too. One of the best players in Europe? C’mon?

Sterling is levels above. At 17 he was one of the best players in a Liverpool side that finished second in the league playing incredible football. I’d say only Harry Kane is a better English footballer.
Personally think he can improve with better players around him and players don't tend to hit their peak at 25. That said I feel it's fantasy to say he's already better than Sterling.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:14 pm

Socrates wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:53 pm
Grealish makes Villa what they are.

Checks notes ..... that’ll be 10th in the Premier League. 17th the year before that and a Championship side the two years before that.

Sterling isn’t that influential? He’s top goal scorer and second in the assists for top of the league. He was their top scorer last year, second top the year before.

Even by your own rationale you’re wrong.
Tenth in the PL, and they would be in a relegation battle without him. The way he has improved over the last two years is special. He’s special. If you put him in that city side, all the stats you have produced for how good Raheem is in that city side would be matched and probably surpassed by Grealish. Sterling is surrounded and supported and supplied by top quality players. He’s managed by an (arguably) world class manager and coached every day by the best football coaches money can buy. Grealish isn’t. He’s surrounded by bang average players, managed by a man who clearly CANT manage him, and still they are tenth.

I’d sooner have Grealish here than Sterling,... but to be honest I’d love either.

Have to bide their time tho....

Dyched
Been Liked: 1926 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:41 pm

Grealish has the ability to drag his side to victory in a way Ronaldo did and De Bruyne does. It’s a very very rare thing for a player to be able to do. There’s plenty of match winners Salah, Aguero, Sterling etc. But few grab the game by the ********.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3607 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:49 pm

Grealish is one of the best players I have ever seen against us, personally. He has been outstanding twice at Turf Moor.

I don't want to really compare him with Sterling as they are different types of players. Sterling is a better goal scorer, of that there is no doubt, but Grealish has other attributes which put him on a pedestal above him in other areas. Ideally, I would like Sterling wide right and Grealish wide left for England with Kane through the middle - formidable on paper.

The thing I really like about Grealish is his work rate. He gives absolutely everything for Villa, and it's brilliant to watch. Yes he dives and whines, but there are few greater sights than one of his mazy runs. I also find his ball release to be impeccably timed generally. Look at his pass to Targett for the cross for Watkins tap in - perfectly weighted and timed to stop the potential offside. He does this often and is so often the 'assister to the assist maker'. Phenomenal player for me, and 25 is no age. I would like to see him go to a top side this summer, think he would be brilliant for United and is arguably that craft they sometimes lack in my opinion.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:02 pm

Socrates wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:09 pm

Amazing how opinions differ around the game eh? Personally feel Sterling is a much better footballer than Kane.... I mean in possession with the ball at their feet.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:32 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:49 pm
Grealish is one of the best players I have ever seen against us,
Ever?

Better than Giggs, Keane, Scholes, Rooney, Silva, Agustin, Sterling, Gerrard, Torres, Hazard, Drogba, Terry?

Ever?

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:33 pm

Grealish is better than Sterling.
Attachments
80D4B656-026E-4A41-A669-048DE6165F2A.jpeg
80D4B656-026E-4A41-A669-048DE6165F2A.jpeg (86.18 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:35 pm

bobinho wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:02 pm
Amazing how opinions differ around the game eh? Personally feel Sterling is a much better footballer than Kane.... I mean in possession with the ball at their feet.
So Grealish > Sterling > Kane?

It’s all about opinions, of course, and they’re different types of player, but I can’t help but think you’d be in a minority with that opinion.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:36 pm

Can Grealish & Foden play in the same team together when it comes to England as they are very similar?

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:47 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:35 pm
So Grealish > Sterling > Kane?

It’s all about opinions, of course, and they’re different types of player, but I can’t help but think you’d be in a minority with that opinion.
I’m talking about their skill with a football. Footballing ability. That’s the right order for me. Surely no one ever said that Kane is a better footballer the either of the others? Kane is a better goal scorer than the other two, granted. You wouldn’t put Grealish up top for England in his place, and vice versa. I’m talking about all round natural ability. For my money, Grealish is better than the other two.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:48 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:36 pm
Can Grealish & Foden play in the same team together when it comes to England as they are very similar?
They really aren’t.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:51 pm

Socrates wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:33 pm
Grealish is better than Sterling.
What on earth is that supposed to signify?

Come on, you’re better than this.... :roll:

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:55 pm

Socrates wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:32 pm
Ever?

Better than Giggs, Keane, Scholes, Rooney, Silva, Agustin, Sterling, Gerrard, Torres, Hazard, Drogba, Terry?

Ever?
Against us, I’d say in the top five at least, along with teves and Bellamy for city, and hazard and fabregas for Chelsea.

Out of the others you have mentioned, good players, even great players, but for what they did to us and how they played against us, the four I mentioned plus Grealish stand out for me.

I know it wasnt my question, but I’m enjoying the discussion.
Last edited by bobinho on Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:55 pm

bobinho wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:47 pm
I’m talking about their skill with a football. Footballing ability. That’s the right order for me. Surely no one ever said that Kane is a better footballer the either of the others? Kane is a better goal scorer than the other two, granted. You wouldn’t put Grealish up top for England in his place, and vice versa. I’m talking about all round natural ability. For my money, Grealish is better than the other two.

Oh,ok. I was talking about the value they bring to their team, in terms of increasing their chances of winning football matches, not how many keepie-uppies or step-overs they can do.

ngsobob
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 282 times

Post by ngsobob » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:58 pm

Woan just asked him if he needed a lift home.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:58 pm

Just aside from the debate over Sterling/Grealish an interesting point was brought up regarding players at their 'peak'. Always found it intriguing how age seems to be a major factor as to when players achieve their potential. 28/29 seems popular and slightly older for goalkeepers but I don't see any rationale for either. Foden has been mentioned and at 20 years old is an outstanding footballer but there is no guarantee that he will get even better as years progress. He will become more experienced obviously but ability wise his level may just plateau.
Ryan Giggs was mentioned. I first saw him.as a.16 yr. old in a youth cup game and was in awe of his close skills and blistering pace. Before he was out of his teens he was playing at a level only most others could dream of. Did he continue to improve or was he of a standard we all got used to? He came to Turf Moor in 2009, well into his 30's but the skill and pace were still there for all to see. Just wondering if anyone had an age in mind where he 'peaked'.
I agree with all the positive comments made about Sterling, Grealish, and Foden but am more than dubious about the argument that all.have still to 'peak'.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:10 pm

He is the nearest thing to Gazza since ‘96. Upper body strength, beats a man either side, has a change of pace, shoots with either foot. Absolute quality but what a tart. No need for his diving he’d get most of the fks anyway but he’d get a hell of a lot more respect.
This user liked this post: bobinho

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:47 pm

Grealish has had more press for his off field antics ever since he made his first team debut.

Of late he has improved and maybe Smith has a big part in that along with Boris for imposing lockdown measures :D

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:13 pm

He's an exceptional talent but his importance to Villa means they have overlooked or tolerated the other aspects of his behaviour both on and off the field

If the pay-off is that he makes them a major force - capable of challenging the elite - then maybe you'd say it was worth it

As far as he is concerned on a personal level, if he genuinely wants to improve still further, he might be better at club where he'd be subject to greater discipline and team ethos and where there are similarly gifted players around him

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:49 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:55 pm
Oh,ok. I was talking about the value they bring to their team, in terms of increasing their chances of winning football matches, not how many keepie-uppies or step-overs they can do.
I wasn’t referring to that either, but I suspect you know that.

Incidentally, them step overs.... can and do gain players a little time and space. They are very effective.

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:04 pm

Socrates wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:32 pm
Ever?

Ever?
I never saw Roy Keane against us so I couldn't comment and am not sure who Agustin is.

The others, plus Fabregas would be in the same argument. You have managed to list twelve other players. I think that classifies as me being able to say Jack Grealish is one of the best players that I (as a 34 year old) have seen play against Burnley at Turf Moor, yes. It's a game of opinions, if you feel otherwise that is your right...

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:04 pm

bobinho wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:55 pm
Against us, I’d say in the top five at least, along with teves and Bellamy for city, and hazard and fabregas for Chelsea.

Out of the others you have mentioned, good players, even great players, but for what they did to us and how they played against us, the four I mentioned plus Grealish stand out for me.

I know it wasnt my question, but I’m enjoying the discussion.
Glad somebody agrees!

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:01 pm

Well done Woaney take no nonsense.
I’ve played against better teams and against better players. Sometimes they have been gracious in defeat
many have not.
It’s that lack of good grace that lets many players down.
BUT i do take pleasure seeing them tumble off their pedestal
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

welsbyswife
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by welsbyswife » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:57 pm

I quite liked that his own manager appeared to be laughing at his antics as they walked off and appeared to be telling him to pipe down. Remember him copping plenty of stick in here last year but I like Dean Smith. Building a very good team.
This user liked this post: Duffer_

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:58 pm

bobinho wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:47 pm
Kanes all round game is excellent. Hes more than just a goalscorer. The Spurs side revolves round his ability to hold the ball, lay off , pass , drive forward , drop deep , oh and s ores obviously. Without him they are much less.

I do think both sterling and Grealish are great players though. But would Sterling manage to make the impact Lane has on a game for Spurs? Not sure
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Super Teds
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Super Teds » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:14 am

Grealish is outstanding imo. England team should be built around him and I agree with the Gazza comparisons, not many come around like him every 10 years. Technique and decision making, timing of the pass, understanding of space, physical ability, he has everything to be world class. I remember Zidane playing against England (my favourite player after Glen Little at the time) and just thinking 'please no, don't let him get the ball he'll destroy us every time he gets it'. Same now with Grealish.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 904 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:44 pm

Second best to Lingard tonight.

I like Grealish as a player but world class? Nowhere near.