Realistic Dyche Replacement

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: Realistic Dyche Replacement

Post by tiger76 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:30 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:25 pm
We really don't need one. We just need to bloody survive this season somehow and then spend some bloody money for a change. The manager isn't the problem! He's great! In fact he's a bloody miracle worker!!
If we do survive, and I think we still will despite our recent struggles, what makes you think we'll spend in the summer, and if we don't do you think SD will decide enough is enough?, because if he keeps us up again, and the new regime don't back him to the hilt I wouldn't blame him for walking away.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2332 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:33 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:30 pm
If we do survive, and I think we still will despite our recent struggles, what makes you think we'll spend in the summer, and if we don't do you think SD will decide enough is enough?, because if he keeps us up again, and the new regime don't back him to the hilt I wouldn't blame him for walking away.
If we don’t spend this summer we absolutely deserve to go down and the club would deserve zero loyalty or sympathy from its supporters

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:34 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:43 pm
Marco Silva
Banter

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:40 pm

Struggling to understand how Steven Gerrard could be seen as an ideal candidate to manage Burnley.
As a player the only thing he experienced was a big club and surrounded by the most expensive players and relative success with a club constantly performing near the top of the Premiership.
As Rangers manager he has been lavished with a significant budget to manage in a league which is invariably a two horse race.
He has never understood scraping around with seriously constrained budgets, juggling threadbare squads, wheeling and dealing creatively in order to get the best value from signings.
This fellow fans, irrespective of whether it was the old Div 4, the Championship, or the Premiership these have always been the parameters in which a manager of Burnley FC has operated.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3337 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:42 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:30 pm
Absolutely Tiger. I'm actually desperate for us to hang on and stay up and then I'm banking 100% on us having a huge turnover of bodies by our standards in the summer and that being driven by the board giving SD some serious money to play with, PLUS the money we make from Tarks (definitely) and Pope (maybe) leaving for large sums. AND some more peripheral players leaving for lesser fees to free up wages (Vydra? Brady? A.N Other?) However, if I'm wrong and the next window mirrors the last 2 or 3, then we're simply resigning ourselves to being next year's Sheff U unfortunately and quite rightly and understandably SD will be off!!!

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:44 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:15 pm
If and when he goes it will be his choice, what he has done for us is remarkable and IMHO he is unsackable, regarding a replacement I think the owners will look for an appointment to broaden our international appeal especially in the states as that seems to be their aim for us, therefore I think it will be someone with American connections.
Trump it is then. Our of work at the moment.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:47 pm

Longsider wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:44 pm
Trump it is then. Our of work at the moment.
Make Burnley great again. :lol: that slogan could actually work.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:52 pm

The press conferences would definitely be interesting :lol:

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:55 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:42 pm
Absolutely Tiger. I'm actually desperate for us to hang on and stay up and then I'm banking 100% on us having a huge turnover of bodies by our standards in the summer and that being driven by the board giving SD some serious money to play with, PLUS the money we make from Tarks (definitely) and Pope (maybe) leaving for large sums. AND some more peripheral players leaving for lesser fees to free up wages (Vydra? Brady? A.N Other?) However, if I'm wrong and the next window mirrors the last 2 or 3, then we're simply resigning ourselves to being next year's Sheff U unfortunately and quite rightly and understandably SD will be off!!!
There HAS been money to spend in previous windows, which for a number of reasons hasn’t been. One of those reasons has been Dyche’s intractability.

The position we’re now in is also on him. There is no doubt that finances have been stretched to try and support Dyche. We just haven’t had a sugar daddy to underwrite losses should we go down, hence the prudence.

And we’re now expecting our new owners, in a single window, to repair the damage of the past 3/4. That’s not going to happen without selling some of our best players.
These 2 users liked this post: ropecatchmonkey Right_winger

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:00 pm

I’d give somebody like Ian Holloway a short term deal to see if things could take off, if dyche was to leave.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3337 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:02 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:55 pm
There HAS been money to spend in previous windows, which for a number of reasons hasn’t been. One of those reasons has been Dyche’s intractability.

The position we’re now in is also on him. There is no doubt that finances have been stretched to try and support Dyche. We just haven’t had a sugar daddy to underwrite losses should we go down, hence the prudence.

And we’re now expecting our new owners, in a single window, to repair the damage of the past 3/4. That’s not going to happen without selling some of our best players.
True, but I actually think "some of our best players" genuinely want to go and tbf probably need to go for their own sake. Tarks for one has aspirations above Burnley and I don't have an issue with it. Pope maybe also and we can cash in tbh, but we have to have future planning/replacements in place and actually spend the money, not simply bank it!
Last edited by Dark Cloud on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:03 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:42 pm
We did manage to clear a few high earners off the books last summer (Hart, Hendrick, Lennon), and we have a couple of senior players out of contract in June (Brady, Bardsley) plus Dunne, of course we've chosen to extend JBG, Long, Lowton & Pieters contracts, so that leaves us less wriggle room than might have otherwise been the case, Gibson and Tarks are pretty much certainties to go, Pope I'd like to keep obviously, bit if a large offer came in we'd have to consider it at least, but I'd definitely expect 4/5 major signings in the next window, and ideally these would be players who could go straight into the first XI, anything less and we can prepare for a bleak winter I'm afraid, with or without SD.

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1512 times

Post by Goodclaret » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:26 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:00 pm
I’d give somebody like Ian Holloway a short term deal to see if things could take off, if dyche was to leave.
I'd give him a short term deal too. It would be about 1 second long and I wouldn't pay him anything
This user liked this post: rob63

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:29 pm

What makes me laugh on here is that some people try and absolve Dyche of any blame with regards to transfers. Its almost Nicola Sturgeon level of passing the buck.

I’d be happy with someone who is adaptable tactically and will change things around when it’s just not working. Someone who will give the younger players a chance and someone who will look beyond older championship players.

Rafa Benitez would be a dream manager for us, a huge step up from Dyche.
This user liked this post: ropecatchmonkey

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:30 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:26 pm
I'd give him a short term deal too. It would be about 1 second long and I wouldn't pay him anything
On the premise that the malaise would be lifted & to start playing with an identity I can only think of 1 candidate, I didn’t say any longevity but if you are looking at a short term fix instead of a massive reboot I’d drive him from Grimsby or wherever he’s rocked up now.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:35 pm

Right_winger wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:29 pm

In Benitez's two Premier League seasons with Newcastle, we finished above them in the first (qualifying for Europe) and within five points of them in the second, on a significantly reduced budget.

Middle-agedClaret
Been Liked: 316 times
Has Liked: 1104 times

Post by Middle-agedClaret » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:39 pm

Mick Mc Carthy.
Mind you - I want Sean to stay.

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1630 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 pm

No way would Benitez come to Burnley.
Some Posters live in “ cloud cuckoo land”.
The new manager will have a tiny budget to spend as these American owners have no money.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:53 pm

club must back dyche all the way, should never be talk of replacing him. if he had decent finances behind his team we would shoot back up this league. some of the suggestions for the job are ludicrous, unless of course you want us to return to the championship pronto. maybe drop below that level too with some of the managers mentioned above.
Everyone should know by now what an achievement it has been securing our place in this division on peanuts, THE entire british footballing profession realises what a job he has done here, but there is a madness afoot within our own fanbase.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:54 pm

Right_winger wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:29 pm
What makes me laugh on here is that some people try and absolve Dyche of any blame with regards to transfers. Its almost Nicola Sturgeon level of passing the buck.

I’d be happy with someone who is adaptable tactically and will change things around when it’s just not working. Someone who will give the younger players a chance and someone who will look beyond older championship players.

Nobody is absolving him of blame that I've seen, but he must be doing something right otherwise we wouldn't have survived at this level for so long would we, I'd love to blood our young players, but not at the expense of relegation, and we are looking beyond older Championship players, hence the interest in Collins at Stoke.

I genuinely don't know what you expect of SD given his budget, really we should be a mid-table Championship side, Oh! we were until SD arrived, and now we're enjoying a 5th successive PL campaign, however clearly that's not good enough for you.

Now if Sean decided to go and we could attract Benitez then great, but I can't see Rafa rocking up at the turf anytime soon.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:54 pm

DAVETHEVICAR wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 pm
No way would Benitez come to Burnley.
Some Posters live in “ cloud cuckoo land”.
The new manager will have a tiny budget to spend as these American owners have no money.
Think he’s lost interest already - not even a match day tweet today!!

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1041 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:58 pm

Rafa Benitez
Stephen Gerrard
Ian Holloway

Ha ha comedy gold is this thread.

As Dave the vicar said some of you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

For information, there isn’t a vacancy.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:06 pm

MrTopTier wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:58 pm
Rafa Benitez
Stephen Gerrard
Ian Holloway

Ha ha comedy gold is this thread.

As Dave the vicar said some of you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

For information, there isn’t a vacancy.
No there isn't but SD is only contracted until 2022, and as yet he has made no sign that'll he'll be willing to extend, now of course that may change if he feels he's getting genuine support from the board, so the onus is on Pace and co to deliver on their promises, and give SD a fair crack of the whip in this league, he's not perfect by any means no manager ever is. but on balance he's got far more credit in the bank than some posters on here will acknowledge, and he certainly deserves a chance to freshen up the squad this summer.
This user liked this post: MrTopTier

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:15 pm

Allardyce or Pulis

Seamless transition which wouldn't have a detrimental effect on tactics or age of squad ;)

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:20 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:34 pm
Banter
Does he have any experience of managing on a tight budget?

CHEWBACCA
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 263 times

Post by CHEWBACCA » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:39 pm

Coyle.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:58 pm

Woan.....just for continuity....and to plss the Dyche haters off!

brexit
Been Liked: 236 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:01 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:48 pm
It’s not necessarily people ‘wishing’ for it.

There will come a time when it suits all parties for a change, and it may be that we’re coming to that point sooner rather later.

We’re bigger than Dyche, and there’s absolutely no reason why we still can’t progress if and when he moves on.
I love these discussions.
The fact that most posters think we are a football club still is laughable we are the latest reality television show. ALK have acquired an exploitable brand which Dyche, aged journeyman and hoofball don't fit.
The 31st of December 2020 is my generations orient match but this time we lost our club and gained a media presence. Pace is promoting the Ladies Team, renegotiating sponsorship for an American market.
Pace has already identified the next manager of Burnley and he will appointed as soon as we are safe\relegated.
It will be an American with knowledge and access to central American players because that is a commercially sound decision.
This is why we did not buy in January and will have a wholesale clear out in the summer with unknown (to us) players coming in.
Dyche is history get over it.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:03 pm

brexit wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:01 pm
The fact that most posters think we are a football club still is laughable we are the latest reality television show. ALK have acquired an exploitable brand which Dyche, aged journeyman and hoofball don't fit.
The 31st of December 2020 is my generations orient match but this time we lost our club and gained a media presence. Pace is promoting the Ladies Team, renegotiating sponsorship for an American market.
Pace has already identified the next manager of Burnley and he will appointed as soon as we are safe\relegated.
It will be an American with knowledge and access to central American players because that is a commercially sound decision.
This is why we did not buy in January and will have a wholesale clear out in the summer with unknown (to us) players coming in.
Sounds totally plausible.
These 2 users liked this post: BurnleyFC DCWat

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:06 pm

brexit wrote:
:lol: cool story bro!

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:19 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:35 pm
In Benitez's two Premier League seasons with Newcastle, we finished above them in the first (qualifying for Europe) and within five points of them in the second, on a significantly reduced budget.
Come back to me when Dyche has achieved the same success and trophies as Benitez.

3putt
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by 3putt » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:07 am

Andy Payton🤪

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:23 am

Right_winger wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:19 am
Come back to me when Dyche has achieved the same success and trophies as Benitez.
I never said he had but you were talking about a serious upgrade yet at both Newcastle and in China his performance was average.

And if you’re bored by Dyche’s football, l suggest you have a look at how Benitez lines up his teams.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:42 am

brexit wrote:
Jay will probably survive the clear out then.

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by HahaYeah » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:20 am

brexit wrote:
Half want this to be true! Vamos Burnley! :mrgreen: :geek:

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:08 pm

The job Dyche does/has done to keep us up with the squad at his disposal I just don't think anyone else could do. I think we are quite unique and if Dyche was to leave I think the basket case of our recruitment/financing would become evident very quickly. Any new manager isn't going to be able to overhaul the squad, they're going to have to work with what they've got and evolve it slowly, I think this would be really difficult for any incoming manager and I honestly think that the only chance we would have would be to bring someone in with the knowledge/experience of the current setup and how it operates. For that reason I can't look beyond Duff, I think he's shown the ability to take the Dyche framework and evolve it to put his own stamp on it, he'd have the knowledge of what went before, how we've been successful etc.

I just think it'd be the smoothest transition and that's something we'll need after the way the club will obviously have become set in to one way of working after all the time with Dyche at the helm.

I seriously hope this isn't something we need to be thinking about for a few years yet, though as if Dyche goes in the next window or next season we'll be relegated.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:19 pm

The Neville brother that is on Sky Sports a lot as he knows his onions and would be the perfect replacement. Not to be mixed up with other one who manages the ladies as I dont think he could cut it in the top league even with a club like ours

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:29 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:19 pm
The Neville brother that is on Sky Sports a lot as he knows his onions and would be the perfect replacement. Not to be mixed up with other one who manages the ladies as I dont think he could cut it in the top league even with a club like ours
This will be Gary Neville, whose only managerial experience came at Valencia, where he was sacked after winning three of sixteen games and there wasn't a single clean sheet during that time.

Yeah, he sounds perfect :roll:

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:34 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:29 pm
This will be Gary Neville, whose only managerial experience came at Valencia, where he was sacked after winning three of sixteen games and there wasn't a single clean sheet during that time.

Yeah, he sounds perfect :roll:
Wow, I didn't realise he had already managed at such a big club. He might therefore be out of our league but dare to dream as the saying goes and Mr Pace might just be able to convince him to come to Burnley

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:38 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:34 pm
Wow, I didn't realise he had already managed at such a big club. He might therefore be out of our league but dare to dream as the saying goes and Mr Pace might just be able to convince him to come to Burnley
I'm sure Mr. Pace has more sense.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:44 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:38 pm
I'm sure Mr. Pace has more sense.
Very true, he does seem to have his feet on the ground and is not the kind of person to get carried away with fanciful ideas that he knows he cant deliver.

Shame really as I think getting Neville as our manager would get the town buzzing like when we signed Ian Wright-Wright

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:47 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:44 pm
Very true, he does seem to have his feet on the ground and is not the kind of person to get carried away with fanciful ideas that he knows he cant deliver.

Shame really as I think getting Neville as our manager would get the town buzzing like when we signed Ian Wright-Wright
You're obviously on the wind-up for reasons best known to yourself, as a Gary Neville appointment would be about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill tiger76

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:47 pm

Jindrich Trpisovsky

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:51 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:47 pm
You're obviously on the wind-up for reasons best known to yourself, as a Gary Neville appointment would be about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:04 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:47 pm
"Fart in a spacesuit" :D

brexit

Post by brexit » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:20 pm

Dyche leaves.
Pace then has to shortlist and interview managers. Who will advise him on this? Who is still left at the club who is credible?
Or
He uses his trusted contacts and a data driven approach to find a manager that suits his business plan.
Again we have moved on next season the club will be unrecognisable.

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1630 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:55 pm

Dyche will be here for a couple more seasons at least

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:25 pm

We need someone with a 'feel' for a Cub like ours and one with real ambition to do well. I wasn't happy when we signed Joey Barton but what a signing he proved to be. He did well at Fleetwood (although his departure is something of a mystery,) and I think he would be a 'good fit' at Burnley.

brexit

Post by brexit » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:52 pm

"We have had a couple of meetings with him and another one going forward and phone calls and messages and slowly but surely we are getting to know each other as people and then the business side of it.

"The club will slowly but surely be taking the shape that they want it to take and then when it does that then we will talk more openly about what my part in the new shape is."

"We do some background planning of course but that is not the first concern for the new chairman and the people who are involved.

"They have to get their imprint on the club, re-model the thinking when appropriate and stick with some of the good stuff."

Dyche is definitely leaving.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:43 pm

Roy Hodgson