FAO Oshkosh

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

FAO Oshkosh

Post by Rodleydave » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:22 pm

I am addicted to American Pickers...for the uninitiated where two guys drive round looking for memorabilia, antiques, cars, bikes etc and rummage through old farms and barns.
The last one I saw was at the Air Museum in Oshkosh.
Wow that was some place.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Re: FAO Oshkosh

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Tue May 17, 2022 8:11 pm

I ran that museum from 2001 to 2012!

My successor was Jeff Skiles, who was the ‘other pilot’ next to Sully Sullenberger when they ditched in the Hudson River. He is an extremely nice guy.

I do like the show American Pickers but that episode caused some trouble… selling things from a museum collection is a fairly large ethical no-no.

The museum had an airworthy B-17 Flying Fortress and we did an episode of Pawn Stars where we took Chumlee for a ride in it.

It was a great gig, got to meet so many interesting people like Harrison Ford, Neil Armstrong, Chuck Yeager, Morgan Freeman, John Travilta, George Lucas, Steve Fossett, Paul Tibbets, Bob Hoover, Richard Branson etc. As an Iron Maiden fan the highlight was going flying with Bruce Dickinson!
These 3 users liked this post: claretburns tarkys_ears Pickles

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Tue May 17, 2022 9:56 pm

Oshkoshclaret wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:11 pm

My successor was Jeff Skiles, who was the ‘other pilot’ next to Sully Sullenberger when they ditched in the Hudson River. He is an extremely nice guy.

I do like the show American Pickers but that episode caused some trouble… selling things from a museum collection is a fairly large ethical no-no.

The museum had an airworthy B-17 Flying Fortress and we did an episode of Pawn Stars where we took Chumlee for a ride in it.

It was a great gig, got to meet so many interesting people like Harrison Ford, Neil Armstrong, Chuck Yeager, Morgan Freeman, John Travilta, George Lucas, Steve Fossett, Paul Tibbets, Bob Hoover, Richard Branson etc. As an Iron Maiden fan the highlight was going flying with Bruce Dickinson!
That is some job/life Oshkosh, some celebrities you have mixed with there! It is the reason I love this board, when away from all the bickering you learn of people's lives and experiences, almost like a peak through the curtains of someone's home, and yes I am a nosey bugger :D
These 3 users liked this post: Red Fox Rocks Socks Pickles evensteadiereddie

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 17, 2022 10:05 pm

Oshkoshclaret wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:11 pm

I’m a bit like Burnley with Bolton, ten years behind. I thought you were still running the museum.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue May 17, 2022 10:10 pm

We were informed quite a few years ago on a flight back from Egypt that Mr Dickinson was our pilot 🙂 ...

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Wed May 18, 2022 11:26 am

Read that the two 'stars' of American Pickers have had a fall out. The little chubby guy with the beard is no longer welcome apparently. The woman with the tattoos now the star attraction.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Wed May 18, 2022 1:11 pm

What a great coincidence and a lovely sequence of messages! Brought a smile to my face.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed May 18, 2022 1:32 pm

Clarets fans everywhere. We should take over the World.