Ashley Westwood Appreciation

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Re: Ashley Westwood Appreciation

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:31 am

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:49 pm
The top performing English midfielders over the last 3 years have been Westwood, Grealish and McNeil - look it up!
That guy Southgate knows nothing :roll:

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 pm

After watching that today, there is a clear reason why he makes so many forward passes. His average position when he picks up the ball is 2 yards in front of Ben Mee. Its borderline impossible for a pass to be anything but forwards. Sadly today as with most games he created nothing.
These 2 users liked this post: Enola Gay jojomk1

whiffa
Been Liked: 512 times
Has Liked: 2597 times

Post by whiffa » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:30 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 pm
After watching that today, there is a clear reason why he makes so many forward passes. His average position when he picks up the ball is 2 yards in front of Ben Mee. Its borderline impossible for a pass to be anything but forwards. Sadly today as with most games he created nothing.
I mean to be fair it was his forward pass to Wood that helped create our goal - but after that moment, he didn't complete a single decent cross/forward pass that I can remember.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:37 pm

whiffa wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:30 pm
I mean to be fair it was his forward pass to Wood that helped create our goal - but after that moment, he didn't complete a single decent cross/forward pass that I can remember.
To be fair you or I could have picked out that pass. Was awful today. Not his biggest fan personally. Too much cut it back to Westwood to play a deep cross.

Happens about 20 times a game and 99% of the time comes to nothing.
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:39 pm

Dreadful today. The amount of times he just did the old hit and hope was ridiculous.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:44 pm

Personally, I think he’s had his day with us.

He’s been really good in several matches over the years, but his blind hit and hopes are becoming tedious. It’s happening every time he’s on the ball. Needs replacing.
These 2 users liked this post: Vino blanco superdimitri

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:35 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:39 pm
Dreadful today. The amount of times he just did the old hit and hope was ridiculous.
He doesn't even look to see whether we have a man in the right position, it's just head down and stand up a cross hoping for the best

But he takes corners and free kicks and is one of the top central midfielders outside of the top six sides ;)

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:42 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
He had the best passing accuracy out of both sides.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Bit more detail on Westwood:

- 3 key passes
- 70 passes
- 86% pass completion
- 14 crosses.

Newcastle:

Most key passes - 3 players X 2 key passes
Most passes - Shelvey 57 (pass completion 63%)
Highest pass completion - Gayle and Saint-Maximin 83% (12 and 6 passes respectively)
Most crosses - Ritchie 7

boyyanno
Been Liked: 513 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:05 pm

Not saying that Westwood played well today but when I read threads like this I remember that some posters didn't rate Dean Marney or David Jones and then find them much easier to ignore.

I see Westwood as an absolute key component in our side.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:07 pm

He was decent today although he hit some poor crosses into the box. He plays on his own in centre midfield and gets little help from Brownhill other than breaking play down.

With Cork getting older and Brownhill not good enough, a quality central midfielder is priority in the next window

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:11 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:05 pm
Not saying that Westwood played well today but when I read threads like this I remember that some posters didn't rate Dean Marney or David Jones and then find them much easier to ignore.

Unfortunately some people see what they want to see. A further stat: 13 long balls of which 10 were accurate - a very high 77%. Good hitting and hoping ;)
This user liked this post: boyyanno

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:20 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:44 pm
Personally, I think he’s had his day with us.

He’s been really good in several matches over the years, but his blind hit and hopes are becoming tedious. It’s happening every time he’s on the ball. Needs replacing.
If he was simply hitting and hoping, he wouldn’t have delivered what he has for us. Options or no options, I’m pretty certain that Dyche wouldn’t stand for a player not following instructions.

For blind hit and hopes, I think you could write quick balls into an area that the forwards have have been told to expect balls to come to.

Westwood is a good, solid professional. Personally I would rather see him as a back up, recruitment permitting but I think it’s unfair to suggest he’s just blindly hitting and hoping.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:22 pm

Ashley Westwood has been a revelation to the player Aston Villa thought they were selling us. I like both Westwood and Brownhill, I’m just still not sure they can play together. If Stephens cannot be relied upon to shore up the midfield once a team starts hitting us on the break with pace... then I do not understand why he sits on the bench, for me he should be pushing to start as Cork’s backup, while Westwood/Brownhill would be interchangeable as instinctively forward thinking midfielders.

Westwood has struggled like the rest of the team this season, but this reaction against him reminds me of... Deary, Marney, Jones and Even Cork over the years.... Some Burnley fans always pick the top midfielder to illustrate when things are not going our way. It is lazy and lacks any understanding.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:23 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:05 pm

I think he’s a key component as well generally. I just thought he was awful today.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:46 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:20 pm
If he was simply hitting and hoping, he wouldn’t have delivered what he has for us. Options or no options, I’m pretty certain that Dyche wouldn’t stand for a player not following instructions.

For blind hit and hopes, I think you could write quick balls into an area that the forwards have have been told to expect balls to come to.

Westwood is a good, solid professional. Personally I would rather see him as a back up, recruitment permitting but I think it’s unfair to suggest he’s just blindly hitting and hoping.
I don't doubt he is following instructions. He's just limited in the way he can carry them out. When I refer to him blindly hitting and hoping, I am thinking about the sheer number of times he simply whacks it forward without looking where it's going and without aiming it at anyone in particular.

Needs to be back up as you say.
This user liked this post: DCWat

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:55 pm

He was frustrating at times today but our best moments, and there were quite a lot, started with his passes out of midfield. In the first half our strikers were getting on the end of most of his balls. The plan started to fail when Newcastle got ahead and put everyone behind the ball, and that is something that we’ve struggled to create against for a long time. But maybe he should have recognised this and mixed up his approach.

He also put a lot of very accurate corners in today, but unfortunately the game plan to drop the corner onto the goalkeeper’s head didn’t lead to anything, and also probably should have led to a change of plan.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:57 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:46 pm
I don't doubt he is following instructions. He's just limited in the way he can carry them out. When I refer to him blindly hitting and hoping, I am thinking about the sheer number of times he simply whacks it forward without looking where it's going and without aiming it at anyone in particular.

Needs to be back up as you say.
I think it’s unfair to say that he whacks it forward. The balls into the channel or over the top tend to be very accurate, and the fact that he doesn’t look up before playing them takes a fair amount skill and work on the training ground with the forwards.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:04 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:35 pm
He doesn't even look to see whether we have a man in the right position, it's just head down and stand up a cross hoping for the best

But he takes corners and free kicks and is one of the top central midfielders outside of the top six sides ;)
Its exactly this that is the problem imo. He's had some success doing it in the past but you can't aimlessly keep trying the same thing when it doesn't work the first 5 times. Especially against a side using 3 centre halves when we only have one striker playing who's good in the air.

I think he should mix things up a bit more. Today his set pieces were also pretty poor, not in the sense he didn't put the ball into a dangerous place, but more he put it in the same place every time. Far too predictable and easy to defend against.

I get sick of the deep crosses and wasting possession, even when we were ahead he was doing it. In fact it was one of these specials that resulted in the breakaway for their first goal. Sometimes you just gotta recognise your limitations as a footballer and go back to basics. If he'd have passed it around on the floor more things may have been very different.

But you can also hold Dyche accountable, because its up to him to ask him to stop doing it so much when its wasteful.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:10 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:30 am
The thing about Westwood which has, I believe become forgotten over time, is that when he came he wasn't intended to be first choice. He was there to back up Defour who couldn't really do 90 minutes and was always liable to pick up an injury . It wasn't long after he arrived though that Defour got sidelined more or less permanently and Westwood found himself first pick every week. Also don't forget that most Villa fans would have gladly driven him to the Turf for free as they weren't too impressed! I think all things considered, especially for the money, we've done pretty well!
You’re forgetting recent history, most of Defours time here, Defour wasn’t first choice. I even remember Dyche shifting him onto the left wing. Defour was a fantastic player, bags of talent but Dyche wasn’t that keen.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:16 pm

Mattster wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:53 am
Hard to judge CMs as it's such a diverse role but IMO...

Rice - Agreed
Soucek - Disagree, depends what you look for in a midfielder. Goal threat from set pieces and a battler but contributes very little in build up.
Phillips - Agreed
McGinn - No, looks a shadow of himself post injury so far
Douglas Luiz - No, potential but is currently bang average
Allan - No, injuries really taken their toll, looks nothing like the player he was in Serie A a few years ago
Doucoure - Disagree, again personal preference he's a goal threat and a good physical presence/presser but again contributes very little to build up
Davies - No, potential though
Anguissa - Agreed
Gallagher - No, potential though
Bissouma - Personally think he's really overrated but I'm in a minority there so could give you that one.
Hojberg - Is at a big 6 club
Romeu - No

My personal top 5 would be Tielemans, Anguissa, Rice, Phillips and Westwood. But as said, it comes down to what you look for in a midfielder, whether you prefer goal threat or defensive ability.
Some of what you’re smoking please, Soucek is a huge reason West Ham are in the top 4, he absolutely walks into our side and it’s not even a debate.

Douglas Luis was comfortably Villas 2nd best player last season, the fans there love him.

Doucoure on one leg gets into our side over Westwood.

There’s a reason most of that list are £20M+ footballers, this is one of the stupidest posts I have seen in a long time.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:18 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:49 pm
The top performing English midfielders over the last 3 years have been Westwood, Grealish and McNeil - look it up!
Aye not Mason Mount or Rice then
This user liked this post: jojomk1

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:57 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:16 pm
Some of what you’re smoking please, Soucek is a huge reason West Ham are in the top 4, he absolutely walks into our side and it’s not even a debate.

Douglas Luis was comfortably Villas 2nd best player last season, the fans there love him.

Doucoure on one leg gets into our side over Westwood.

There’s a reason most of that list are £20M+ footballers, this is one of the stupidest posts I have seen in a long time.
I would absolutely love you to back that up with some facts, you'll definitely struggle on the Douglas Luiz one if you take a few minutes to check Villa Talk's 300+ page thread on him, this one tickles me given the obvious link :D
DL.png
DL.png (44.84 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
I can just feel the love...

I don't deny Soucek is a good player and a big part of West Ham's success but my point was he is not a midfielder that is much of a passer. Ranking a top 5 is pretty hard for central midfielders as there are so many different types of midfielder (as I said).

Soucek is a massive goal threat and a good defender due to his size/presence, a passer he certainly is not - he's in the bottom 5% of all midfielder in the Top 5 leagues for pass completion, bottom 10% for progressive passes and bottom 13% for passes attempted - so my point that he "contributes very little in the build up" is based on fact.

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:15 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:10 pm
You’re forgetting recent history, most of Defours time here, Defour wasn’t first choice. I even remember Dyche shifting him onto the left wing. Defour was a fantastic player, bags of talent but Dyche wasn’t that keen.
Keep those facts coming...

When he was fit he was first choice, like the 24 starts from a possible 24 in the 17/18 season. When he was nursing injuries or recovering from injuries he was generally on the bench, making some sub appearances.

Even if you don't believe his periods on the bench were fitness related, of the times he was in the matchday squad (ie. not injured) he started 46 games of a possible 62, or basically 3/4 of the games - but sure, "most" of the time he wasn't first choice :lol:

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:57 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:11 pm
Unfortunately some people see what they want to see. A further stat: 13 long balls of which 10 were accurate - a very high 77%. Good hitting and hoping ;)
And his crossing? It was that that was hit and hope.
Usual move. Gudmundsson. Lowton. Westwood. Cross from deep.

Not a question of seeing what anyone wants to see. We're all Burnley fans who want to see our players play well. If they play poorly they rightly deserve criticism. If they play well they deserve praise.

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:12 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:57 pm
And his crossing? It was that that was hit and hope.
Usual move. Gudmundsson. Lowton. Westwood. Cross from deep.
4 from 14. Which made him our most accurate crosser (apart from Tarkowski who completed 1 from 1).
This user liked this post: superdimitri

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:45 pm

4 from 14 meaning what ?

He successfully completed 4 crosses out of 14 attempts - 29%

If those are the stats you mean I would rather he didn't bother as he would have surely been the most successful crosser for Newcastle

Or, if he successfully made 4 crosses out of the whole 14 we completed how many attempts did he have ?

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:56 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:18 pm
Aye not Mason Mount or Rice then
Why do you have a problem when the facts show our players are performing well? Or do you prefer the opinions of Pundits - they’re not the same as facts

Mount - good stats, about the same as Westwood but Mount is often played as a forward

Rice - appalling stats, has not produced half of what Westwood has produced. He’s good at pointing though

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:59 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:56 pm
Why do you have a problem when the facts show our players are performing well? Or do you prefer the opinions of Pundits - they’re not the same as facts

Mount - good stats, about the same as Westwood but Mount is often played as a forward

Rice - appalling stats, has not produced half of what Westwood has produced. He’s good at pointing though
Are you suggesting that Westwood is as good as Mount or Rice?

milkcrate_mosh
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by milkcrate_mosh » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:19 pm

Last season the average rate of completing crosses was just over 18%, no-one in the premier league is averaging more than 2.5 completed crosses every 90 minutes. If almost 1 in 3 hitting and getting 4 successful crosses in a game is aimless hoofing what is everyone else doing?
This user liked this post: Mattster

SalisburyClaret

Post by SalisburyClaret » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:20 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:59 pm
Are you suggesting that Westwood is as good as Mount or Rice?
You’ve missed the point - the discussion is about stats - not being better. The stats clearly show that Westwood is more productive

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:05 pm

So yep, 4 from 14 yet he kept doing it time and time again. I'd like to see him play some more incisive passes on the floor (such as his pass to Wood for the goal), or just keep the ball and prize an opportunity open rather than the usual deep cross in the box. Especially if we aren't playing both Barnes and Wood.

You have to adapt how you play, and he's not doing that (perhaps Dyche also?) it was clear the only way we were going to score against Newcastle was a ball behind their defence or a cross from the byline but Westy just kept pinning balls to their 3 centre halves heads.

We are very limited when it comes to how we put pressure on teams when losing. Teams know we will play even more deep crosses and long balls and often bring on an extra centre half to defend a lead (if they aren't playing with 3 already).

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:34 pm

Westwood being better than Shelvey was a good ‘un, but Westwood being better than Soucek is just priceless.
This user liked this post: claretcarrot93

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:00 pm

Mental that people would have Westwood over Soucek/Rice and Mount.

He has been a great player for us but has been pretty poor most of this season

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:35 pm

milkcrate_mosh wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:19 pm
Last season the average rate of completing crosses was just over 18%, no-one in the premier league is averaging more than 2.5 completed crosses every 90 minutes. If almost 1 in 3 hitting and getting 4 successful crosses in a game is aimless hoofing what is everyone else doing?
Amazing how people see what they want/expect to see isn't it?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:33 pm

Mattster wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:57 pm
I would absolutely love you to back that up with some facts, you'll definitely struggle on the Douglas Luiz one if you take a few minutes to check Villa Talk's 300+ page thread on him, this one tickles me given the obvious link :D
DL.png

I can just feel the love...

I don't deny Soucek is a good player and a big part of West Ham's success but my point was he is not a midfielder that is much of a passer. Ranking a top 5 is pretty hard for central midfielders as there are so many different types of midfielder (as I said).

Soucek is a massive goal threat and a good defender due to his size/presence, a passer he certainly is not - he's in the bottom 5% of all midfielder in the Top 5 leagues for pass completion, bottom 10% for progressive passes and bottom 13% for passes attempted - so my point that he "contributes very little in the build up" is based on fact.
When have stats ever mattered that deeply for midfield players? this thread here proves why stats are stupid. You can twist and manipulate any stats to make your point. When have midfielders ability ever been ranked on pass attempt stats? Westwood is better than Soucek because Westwood completes more backwards passes? and attempts more passes? :lol: How about the stuff that matters, how many goals does Soucek have?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:35 pm

I don't know why I'm even entertaining this troll, not even the most delusional of Burnley fan can believe Westwood is a top midfielder in Europe or top 5 in the PL. Westwood isn't even fit to lace Joao Moutinho's left boot.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:36 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:56 pm

because stats are nonsense, the true test is the eye test.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:39 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:20 pm
You’ve missed the point - the discussion is about stats - not being better. The stats clearly show that Westwood is more productive
Mount has 6x more goals than Westwood this season and 2x more assists, how do the stats clearly show Westwood is more productive? :lol:
This user liked this post: SalisburyClaret

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:09 am

I give up lol. The same people pointing fingers are the ones who are only seeing what they want to hear. Not the other way round lol.
Westwood one of the best in the league? Give me a break.

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:48 am

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:33 pm
When have stats ever mattered that deeply for midfield players? this thread here proves why stats are stupid. You can twist and manipulate any stats to make your point. When have midfielders ability ever been ranked on pass attempt stats? Westwood is better than Soucek because Westwood completes more backwards passes? and attempts more passes? :lol: How about the stuff that matters, how many goals does Soucek have?
It's pretty simple (so I can see why you're struggling), for me it really depends on what you're looking for from a midfielder. If you base rating central midfielders purely on goals scored then Soucek is a better midfielder than Kevin De Bruyne. Which obviously he's not.

It's not just that Westwood attempts more passes than Soucek. He attempts more forward, sideways and backwards passes. He attempts significantly more difficult passes, more frequently yet loses possession with the same frequency. You focused on passes attempted when the more important figure was the pass completion, 95% of midfielders in the Top 5 leagues have a better pass completion than Soucek.

Put simply, Soucek plays easier passes but fails to complete them just as often as Westwood fails to complete much more threatening and difficult passes.

You also say stats don't matter yet focus on the goals scored, which is ultimately a stat.

I've said it plenty, Soucek is very good as a goal threat (generally at set pieces) and at defending in/around his own area, between both boxes he contributes next to nothing. People in this thread are saying Westwood loses the ball too much, Soucek loses the ball just as much (23% of the time vs 25%) but does so whilst attempting fewer and much easier passes.

You prefer your midfielders to score goals, I prefer midfielders to link defence to attack, to create chances. Truth is you probably need both which is why it's difficult to pick a "top x" as there's so many different roles for a midfielder.
KRBFC wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:36 pm
because stats are nonsense, the true test is the eye test.
I think that, if anything, this thread has shown the eye test alone isn't all that given Westwood was getting slated for aimless long balls vs NUFC (yet had 77% accuracy whilst the EPL average is 66%) and aimless crossing (yet had 29% accuracy whilst the EPL average is 18%). You need both.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:22 pm

Stats can say what they like, my eyes tell me that Westwood has been crap for a good few weeks and is probably in need of a rest.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:20 pm

Is there actually too much disagreement on Westwood when people strip back the hyperbole?

Those stats show what he does for us - he's good at moving the ball quickly, often forwards and sometimes incisively, and he whips a good ball in. He's mobile and tenacious and presses fairly aggressively (although not always as effectively as Brownhill in particular).

But what those stats would also seem to show, and what was borne out I think on Sunday, is that sometimes he's not the most composed in possession, and he can be a bit frenetic. Perhaps that's partly instruction, but it reflects why his pass completion percentage is relatively poor. He's also occasionally caught out of position defensively.

In short, Westwood has been moulded by Dyche into a replacement for/upgrade on Dean Marney. He's at his best alongside someone who can be the David Jones to his Dean Marney - such as Cork; someone who keeps it simple, knows when to play a pass that takes the sting out of the game, makes sure there aren't too many gaps in front of the back four, etc. (it's hard to imagine us conceding the second goal on Sunday with Cork on the field). The problem we have when he's alongside Brownhill is that between them there's a bit of a lack of calmness. We tend to either be in control of a game (not necessarily dominating, but if we're defending, doing so on our terms) or on the ropes and looking like we might fold at any moment - we rarely look in control even when the other team have momentum. And equally when we're chasing a game we can be guilty of forcing the game to quickly, rather than probing (it's no accident that against Aston Villa, Cork came on at half time). This team doesn't manipulate the ball like the Defour/Cork team could, or even like one pairing Cork with Brownhill OR Westwood would. It relies on McNeil coming off his wing to provide that sort of guile.

So Westwood is a good player, a player who with the right partner can play in a team that finishes 10th in the Premier League, and who without the right partner probably rightly belongs in a team just keeping their necks above the relegation battle. Which is exactly what he's been for us.

SalisburyClaret

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:20 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:39 pm
Mount has 6x more goals than Westwood this season and 2x more assists, how do the stats clearly show Westwood is more productive? :lol:
We were discussing PL stats over 3 seasons, please try and keep up.

Mount 13 goals, 9 assists. He is an attacking midfielder who also plays as a forward. Market value 54m

Westwood 5 goals and 15 assists. He is a central/defensive midfielder in the team you endlessly criticise. Market value 4.5m

Bear in mind that Mount plays in one of the most expensive teams ever assembled so his chances of scoring or creating are massively increased. If you can’t see how how much Westwood is over-achieving then I’d be inclined to rip up that Mensa application

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:17 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:20 pm
If you can’t see how how much Westwood is over-achieving then I’d be inclined to rip up that Mensa application
:roll:

I really do think you need to see a doctor before it's too late

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:26 pm

claretspice wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:20 pm
Is there actually too much disagreement on Westwood when people strip back the hyperbole?

Those stats show what he does for us - he's good at moving the ball quickly, often forwards and sometimes incisively, and he whips a good ball in. He's mobile and tenacious and presses fairly aggressively (although not always as effectively as Brownhill in particular).

But what those stats would also seem to show, and what was borne out I think on Sunday, is that sometimes he's not the most composed in possession, and he can be a bit frenetic. Perhaps that's partly instruction, but it reflects why his pass completion percentage is relatively poor. He's also occasionally caught out of position defensively.

In short, Westwood has been moulded by Dyche into a replacement for/upgrade on Dean Marney. He's at his best alongside someone who can be the David Jones to his Dean Marney - such as Cork; someone who keeps it simple, knows when to play a pass that takes the sting out of the game, makes sure there aren't too many gaps in front of the back four, etc. (it's hard to imagine us conceding the second goal on Sunday with Cork on the field). The problem we have when he's alongside Brownhill is that between them there's a bit of a lack of calmness. We tend to either be in control of a game (not necessarily dominating, but if we're defending, doing so on our terms) or on the ropes and looking like we might fold at any moment - we rarely look in control even when the other team have momentum. And equally when we're chasing a game we can be guilty of forcing the game to quickly, rather than probing (it's no accident that against Aston Villa, Cork came on at half time). This team doesn't manipulate the ball like the Defour/Cork team could, or even like one pairing Cork with Brownhill OR Westwood would. It relies on McNeil coming off his wing to provide that sort of guile.

So Westwood is a good player, a player who with the right partner can play in a team that finishes 10th in the Premier League, and who without the right partner probably rightly belongs in a team just keeping their necks above the relegation battle. Which is exactly what he's been for us.
How many times have we seen Cork alongside Brownhill? That may actually benefit Brownhill and allow us to see a bit more of what he’s about.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:14 pm

Westwood getting the ball forward early is vital for us as we have no pace in the side. It's our main way of catching the opposition out.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:09 pm

Are people seriously suggesting they'd take Westwood over Soucek or Rice? Let's face it if it wasn't for us taking a chance on him he'd have probably spent the last few years playing in the league below.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:15 pm

Mattster wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:48 am
It's pretty simple (so I can see why you're struggling), for me it really depends on what you're looking for from a midfielder. If you base rating central midfielders purely on goals scored then Soucek is a better midfielder than Kevin De Bruyne. Which obviously he's not.

It's not just that Westwood attempts more passes than Soucek. He attempts more forward, sideways and backwards passes. He attempts significantly more difficult passes, more frequently yet loses possession with the same frequency. You focused on passes attempted when the more important figure was the pass completion, 95% of midfielders in the Top 5 leagues have a better pass completion than Soucek.

Put simply, Soucek plays easier passes but fails to complete them just as often as Westwood fails to complete much more threatening and difficult passes.

You also say stats don't matter yet focus on the goals scored, which is ultimately a stat.

I've said it plenty, Soucek is very good as a goal threat (generally at set pieces) and at defending in/around his own area, between both boxes he contributes next to nothing. People in this thread are saying Westwood loses the ball too much, Soucek loses the ball just as much (23% of the time vs 25%) but does so whilst attempting fewer and much easier passes.

You prefer your midfielders to score goals, I prefer midfielders to link defence to attack, to create chances. Truth is you probably need both which is why it's difficult to pick a "top x" as there's so many different roles for a midfielder.

I think that, if anything, this thread has shown the eye test alone isn't all that given Westwood was getting slated for aimless long balls vs NUFC (yet had 77% accuracy whilst the EPL average is 66%) and aimless crossing (yet had 29% accuracy whilst the EPL average is 18%). You need both.
Because his aimless long balls were crosses not passes. No one said anything about long balls, just that he kept hoofing it in the box. You're taking stats and reading them the wrong way around.

Quit with the personal digs too. Really makes you look bad. I don't get why everyone can't just have a healthy debate on here without taking snipes at one another.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:54 am

Mattster wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:48 am

but this is about you saying Westwood is a better player than Soucek because Westwood has a higher pass attempt/accuracy %. When has that stat ever been really relevant? Westwood's whole game is passing. I have never ever seen anyone claim X player is better than Y because of the pass attempt stat :lol: