“A blatant power grab” – Fans criticise own clubs on UCL plans

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Re: “A blatant power grab” – Fans criticise own clubs on UCL plans

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:18 pm

Having secured oodles of funding from anonymous football club owners I have just set up the 'Football Fans Alliance'. I am available for interview to explain why letting owners do whatever the hell they want is *actually* in the interest of fans. Newspaper columns also available.

James O'Brien taking a fun sideways swipe.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:18 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:03 pm
UEFA are saying they will ban all players from those clubs to all UEFA competitions.
words and actions are currently different - can anyone remember the last time FIFA/UEFA/national association beat a big club in a legal action - Juventus v Serie A but only after the Italian Legal system found Juventus guilty of corruption - never has the club lost without that kind of external influence/adjudication being available

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:21 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:18 pm
If that happens, then i can see fans refusing to attend games involving those sides.
I'd still go and watch, unless the price of a season ticket comes down accordingly

All utd and Liverpool fans could stop going, but their grounds would still be full of tourists

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:25 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:21 pm
I'd still go and watch, unless the price of a season ticket comes down accordingly

All utd and Liverpool fans could stop going, but their grounds would still be full of tourists
Therein lies the issue. Tourists worldwide can easily replace the core fanbase. If i was a supporter of these clubs, i would be looking to see if a breakaway club can be formed

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Re: A message for Alan Pace

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:25 pm

Alan Pace comes across as a decent bloke. I think we know where he stands on this from a morals and values point of view. But he'll also need to look at it from a hard-nosed business point of view. He's got an urgent need to raise capital, to complete his purchase. That will be doubly hard, until there's certainty about where all this is going. So there will be a lot of pressure on him to see this resolved, however it is resolved.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:26 pm

Even if it's just the opening shots to try and get a better deal for the big clubs how do they legislate for teams like Arsenal who are no longer guaranteed a top six spot every season?

I can only see them increasing the payments on how high you finish (A big gap in the payment for 6th as opposed to 7th), but how can they justify increased money to a side like Arsenal if they get nowhere near a European place?

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:26 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:21 pm

30% of all "home fans" at every league game at Anfield are effectively tourists - as they have to buy a single match ticket - they also have to pay an annual subscription to be on the list that is allowed to apply for those full price match tickets. the rest is spilt 50% season tickets, 20% corporate. The season tickets bring in by far the less revenue.

these are the typ of things I keep talking about our new board seeing as ideal - they will be wanting to move towards this kind of model if possible - it is why I have talked of the Central blocks of the James Hargreaves Upper becoming corporate - makes tickets more scarce and therefore more valuable in theory

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:27 pm

brexit wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:13 pm
Seriously do people still think we are a community football club?
From Tony Scholes down you all believe in this "special relationship" you have with the club.
BFC is a media outlet now fans are irrelevant.
The withdrawn change of use application for Burnley Bridge from last November is about to be resubmitted
Apparently when the guys at the top came in they requested the usual shots of the old mills and terraced houses not be shown before kick off anymore as it wasn’t good for the commercial image.

I don’t know if that’s 100% true or not but allegedly some of the back room staff had to explain things a bit to them about what kind of club it is and the fans being proud of the roots.

I’ve not actually noticed if they do still show the backdrop to the Turf before games anymore but i’ll be sure to check next time.

It was only last week I heard about this so never thought to look if it still goes on or not.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:31 pm

Right now I imagine Alan and his mates will be really bricking it. If the Big Six leave, Sky will cut their TV deal offer accordingly, and if they stay it will be their reserve teams taking part and so there will be a similar reduction due to the drop in global and domestic interest. If the 6 relent & the new ‘super’ league doesn’t happen at all the Big Six will want a much bigger slice of the pie. The New Board’s ability to raise funds will be severely hampered.

Whatever happens Burnley will lose out financially one way or another, it’s just a question of how much.

Meanwhile those ‘ local lads ‘ former Board members are laughing all the way to the bank as their timing has been absolutely perfect.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:31 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:26 pm
30% of all "home fans" at every league game at Anfield are effectively tourists - as they have to buy a single match ticket - they also have to pay an annual subscription to be on the list that is allowed to apply for those full price match tickets. the rest is spilt 50% season tickets, 20% corporate. The season tickets bring in by far the less revenue.

these are the typ of things I keep talking about our new board seeing as ideal - they will be wanting to move towards this kind of model if possible - it is why I have talked of the Central blocks of the James Hargreaves becoming corporate - makes tickets more scarce and therefore more valuable in theory
I've been in the home sections at old Trafford several times, and been surrounded by Japanese with bags of stuff from the club store, so they spend more on a match day than local fans, just what the owners want

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:33 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:56 pm
I think the intent is to leave domestic football anyway, it will be a 44 game season. Celtic and Rangers are wanting in which would increase the number of games to 52.
I believe the plan is play each other 4 times a season.

Sounds like a really bad plan to me, as Bosnich just said they had a similar format in Australia and the fans got bored of it.
Tbh , I couldn’t careless anymore and I’m sure many others think the same

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:39 pm

Ander Herrera has had his say on his twitter account......
https://twitter.com/AnderHerrera/status ... 40937?s=20

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:42 pm

djemba-djemba wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:27 pm
Apparently when the guys at the top came in they requested the usual shots of the old mills and terraced houses not be shown before kick off anymore as it wasn’t good for the commercial image.

I don’t know if that’s 100% true or not but allegedly some of the back room staff had to explain things a bit to them about what kind of club it is and the fans being proud of the roots.

I’ve not actually noticed if they do still show the backdrop to the Turf before games anymore but i’ll be sure to check next time.

It was only last week I heard about this so never thought to look if it still goes on or not.
that sounds a bit made up - given Pace has talked freely about the opportunity that image presents and also that he wants to preserve that view from the James Hargreaves upper - it is to some degree about framing the story, and it is relatively easy to create a juxtaposed image of old and new to make the club seem part of the future while retaining a legacy built on a long and historic past.

People of the town would do well in this day and age to remember that those old mills also represent the fact that Lancashire weavers in their thousands starved to support the fight against the south and slavery by refusing to weave cotton produced under those means - it is all about your story and how you tell it - that particular one probably has more resonance today in America than most, it is just a deep sadness as to what many in the town have elected to do in the last 20 years or so because that is a far more damaging to the clubs ambitions.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:39 pm
Ander Herrera has had his say on his twitter account......
https://twitter.com/AnderHerrera/status ... 40937?s=20
a player at the end of his career - just the same as all the ex players we have heard from

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:50 pm

Arsenal one of the big 6 who managed to get one point from little old Burnley this season. From what I've seen on the news, they want to remain in the Premier League playing at weekends and the new Super League to replace the Champions League midweek. So they want the best of both worlds at the expense of smaller clubs. This is out and out pure greed and personally I'd be happy for them to go and join the Super League but be expelled from the Premier League. Would make the Premier League more interesting and a more equal footing for those left in it.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:53 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 pm
a player at the end of his career - just the same as all the ex players we have heard from
What about Bruno Fernandes?

https://mobile.twitter.com/UnitedStandM ... 1753826307

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:56 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:53 pm
What about Bruno Fernandes?

https://mobile.twitter.com/UnitedStandM ... 1753826307
There is no outright condemnation though is there?

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:56 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:42 pm
that sounds a bit made up - given Pace has talked freely about the opportunity that image presents and also that he wants to preserve that view from the James Hargreaves upper - it is to some degree about framing the story, and it is relatively easy to create a juxtaposed image of old and new to make the club seem part of the future while retaining a legacy built on a long and historic past.

People of the town would do well in this day and age to remember that those old mills also represent the fact that Lancashire weavers in their thousands starved to support the fight against the south and slavery by refusing to weave cotton produced under those means - it is all about your story and how you tell it - that particular one probably has more resonance today in America than most, it is just a deep sadness as to what many in the town have elected to do in the last 20 years or so because that is a far more damaging to the clubs ambitions.
That’s what I was thinking when I was being told. Maybe it was when they were in talks to take over and being shown around the ground - maybe it didn’t actually happen.

Maybe it was said then they took on board the comments.

Might be worth noting if it does happen or not at the next home fixture. Like I say, it’s only recently I was told about this.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:42 pm
that sounds a bit made up - given Pace has talked freely about the opportunity that image presents and also that he wants to preserve that view from the James Hargreaves upper -
From what I know about the takeover. One (of many) of the endearing features that drew them was indeed that image. To the extent that any stadium redevelopment would include a vantage point so that camera angles would still allow for that view to be televised. Either by maintaining the height of the Bob Lord or raising the media vantage points in any new redevelopment.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:01 pm

djemba-djemba wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:56 pm
That’s what I was thinking when I was being told. Maybe it was when they were in talks to take over and being shown around the ground - maybe it didn’t actually happen.

Maybe it was said then they took on board the comments.

Might be worth noting if it does happen or not at the next home fixture. Like I say, it’s only recently I was told about this.
pretty sure the shots were shown before the Newcastle game

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:04 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:18 pm
If that happens, then i can see fans refusing to attend games involving those sides.
I'd like to think Turf Moor would have a 90 minute rendition of "W@nkers; W@nkers; W@nkers" repeatedly if we were playing any of these teams

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:12 pm

for those who do not read the MMT thread

Absolutely zero surprise in this report - or the clever legal nicety of offering talks with FIFA/UEFA, which helps "reasonable behaviour" argument in court - from SportsProMedia

we also now see Super League branded as SLco

European Super League launches legal action to ensure its ‘seamless establishment’
SLCo taking 'protective steps' to fend off threat of bans from officially sanctioned competitions.

Posted: April 19 2021By: PA

The new European Super League Company has revealed it has already launched legal action to try to prevent retaliatory moves amid widespread condemnation of the plans.

The bombshell announcement came on Sunday that Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham and six other European soccer clubs have agreed to create a rival competition to the Uefa Champions League.

It is anticipated three more clubs will join the breakaway group as founding members, with the new competition, which will begin 'as soon as practicable', to eventually feature 20 teams.

If the plans succeed it would devastate existing European club competitions and in particular the Champions League. A joint statement including European soccer's governing body Uefa and the English, Italian and Spanish leagues published on 18th April said it would consider 'all measures, both judicial and sporting' to prevent the competition going ahead.

This could include attempts to bar the competing clubs from domestic leagues and their players from Uefa’s international competitions too.

World governing body Fifa has called for 'calm, constructive dialogue' to resolve the crisis, but the company behind the Super League has pre-emptively taken steps to protect itself against any legal challenges.

In a letter to Uefa and Fifa, seen by the PA news agency, the Super League wrote: 'We are concerned that Fifa and Uefa may respond to this invitation letter by seeking to take punitive measures to exclude any participating club or player from their respective competitions.

'We hope that is not your response to this letter and that, like us, your organisations will recognise the immediate benefits of the competition established by SLCo.

'We also seek your co-operation and support on how the competition can be brought within the football ecosystem and work with us to achieve that objective.

'Your formal statement does, however, compel us to take protective steps to secure ourselves against such an adverse reaction, which would not only jeopardise the funding commitment under the grant but, significantly, would be unlawful.

'For this reason, SLCo has filed a motion before the relevant courts in order to ensure the seamless establishment and operation of the competition in accordance with applicable laws.'

European Super League: Soccer in disarray as 12 clubs form breakaway

The PA news agency understands that Manchester United executive vice chairman Ed Woodward has stepped down from his Uefa role, where he was on the Professional Football Strategy Council, while the club has also quit the European Club Association (ECA).

After the plans emerged on Sunday afternoon, the backlash was instantaneous throughout the game and beyond, before the clubs released statements just before midnight stating their intentions.

The letter also said the company had secured a commitment to underwrite funding for the competition in the range of €4 billion (US$4.8 billion), and JP Morgan confirmed to PA that it is financing the deal.

UK prime minister Boris Johnson said the European Super League was not “good news for fans” and he would work with the soccer authorities “to make sure this doesn’t go ahead in the way that it’s currently being proposed”.

Greg Dyke, the former chairman of English soccer's Football Association (FA), does not expect the project to get off the ground because of the widespread opposition to it.

He told BBC Radio Four: “I don’t think it will happen. I think it’s a game that’s going on. But I don’t think it’s good for football in any way at all. Without the approval of Uefa, but particularly without the approval of Fifa, I think this is very difficult to make this happen.

“I think it’s a big mistake. And I think the opposition to it – which has come from almost everywhere, I haven’t heard anybody in favour yet – will probably stop it.”

Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow branded the Super League a “grotesque concept”.

He added: “These proposals do away with sporting merit. It would enable a small number of clubs to be in this competition come what may and, for millions of people in football, that goes against everything the sport means and stands for.”

Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, now Fifa’s chief of global football development, told talkSPORT: “I believe as well there’s a more dangerous idea behind [it] that is a big threat for the Premier League.

“When I was still in charge, there was a lot going on from other countries to try to diminish the dominance of the Premier League and a project like that would certainly accelerate that.

“We have to fight to keep football simple, understandable and based on merits, and (so) everyone has the same chance and dream to be successful.”

The clubs involved have so far addressed the plans through a joint statement but Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp and Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel will both face the media later.

The timing of the announcement was incendiary coming ahead of an anticipated announcement from Uefa confirming changes to the Champions League format later on 19th April.

The European governing body is expected to approve an increase from 32 to 36 teams from 2024 with the existing structure of eight groups of four replaced by one league. The format, known as the ‘Swiss model’, would see all teams play ten games in the first stage with opponents determined by a seeding system.

But the statement from the 12 breakaway clubs late on 18th April made clear they do not believe these proposed changes go far enough.

Real Madrid’s Florentino Perez, who will chair the Super League, said: “We will help football at every level and take it to its rightful place in the world. Football is the only global sport in the world with more than four billion fans and our responsibility as big clubs is to respond to their desires.”

It is proposed the new competition will be played in midweek with the eventual 15 founding members being joined by five qualifiers. It will be played initially in two groups of ten with an eight-team knockout stage.

The organisers claim it will generate more money than the Champions League and that will result in a greater distribution of revenue throughout the game.

The statement added: 'The new annual tournament will provide significantly greater economic growth and support for European football via a long-term commitment to uncapped solidarity payments which will grow in line with league revenues.

'These solidarity payments will be substantially higher than those generated by the current European competition and are expected to be in excess of €10 billion during the course of the initial commitment period of the clubs.'

News of the breakaway competition leaked out before it was officially announced and had already provoked a fierce backlash from Uefa and various national leagues and associations.

World governing body Fifa expressed 'its disapproval to a ‘closed European breakaway league’ outside of the international football structures' and called for 'all parties involved in heated discussions to engage in calm, constructive and balanced dialogue for the good of the game'.

Uefa, along with the Football Associations of England, Spain and Italy, plus the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A, said they would use all available means to stop the 'cynical project'.

La Liga added in a statement on Monday: 'The newly proposed top European competition is nothing more than a selfish, egotistical proposal designed to further enrich the already super rich.

'It will undermine the appeal of the whole game and have a deeply damaging impact on the immediate and future of La Liga, its member clubs, and all the entire footballing ecosystem.”

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:14 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:23 am
It most certainly wouldn't be far more interest. We'll be back to 80s levels of entertainment, which was mostly dire and the stats show that fans voted with their feet, and don't forget, even in real terms, live football was inexpensive to watch at the time. In any case, the EPL isn't going to kick these clubs out - they can't afford to.
Would it not be more interesting for clubs like us to have a chance of getting into Europe, rather than making up the numbers?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32235 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:14 pm

I've not really had chance to read this thread but I'm pleased to see that all of the supporter groups at those big six clubs have come out to condemn the actions of their clubs. I would have hoped for some comment of condemnation from our club but as yet nothing.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:15 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:37 pm
Can't blame them.

As commercial organisations they don't get half the revenue they should from TV. Instead the PL give it to clubs like us to try and make their product more exciting and try redistribute the wealth so small clubs have a level playing field... but it just gets banked by greedy directors to use as their payoff.

If I were a CEO of Utd or whatever, I wouldn't be forming a part time tournament, I'd be leaving altogether to start a new league.
Yeah, said just as much here a board member secretly talking to SSN - unbelievable listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YinDvtBCX0I

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:17 pm

Merging with main thread on this subject

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:20 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:14 pm
I've not really had chance to read this thread but I'm pleased to see that all of the supporter groups at those big six clubs have come out to condemn the actions of their clubs. I would have hoped for some comment of condemnation from our club but as yet nothing.
You don’t have look any further than Board member links to JP Morgan as a reason for no comment

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:20 pm

The remaining Premier League 14, including us, are having a meeting with the Premier League tomorrow to discuss a way forward (according to Brian Swanson on SSN).

I would like to hear Alan Pace strongly oppose this on our social media. Yes, it might mean nothing to the reality of it happening, but I would feel proud to know our club condemned it when the news had arrived.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Have any other Premier league club commented?

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:27 pm

Anyone see parallels in American ownership actions in the SLco and this from a few years back on stadiums in the US for the franchises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwJt4bcnXs

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:28 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:25 pm
Have any other Premier league club commented?
Yes but they should stick to the group statement of the Premier League

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:31 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:28 pm
Which clubs?...

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:35 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:20 pm
The remaining Premier League 14, including us, are having a meeting with the Premier League tomorrow to discuss a way forward (according to Brian Swanson on SSN).

I would like to hear Alan Pace strongly oppose this on our social media. Yes, it might mean nothing to the reality of it happening, but I would feel proud to know our club condemned it when the news had arrived.
Not sure that Alan Pace will be coming out and publicly condemning fellow American owners for their actions. Somebody just remarked on SSN that the American model simply doesn't work in the UK/Europe.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:36 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:31 pm
Which clubs?...
Aston Villa - though they are no doubt aggrieved that they have the same right as Chelsea and more than Arsenal, City and Spurs re Champs League/European Cup history - they have spent fortunes recently too

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:38 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:35 pm
Not sure that Alan Pace will be coming out and publicly condemning fellow American owners for their actions. Somebody just remarked on SSN that the American model simply doesn't work in the UK/Europe.
I see absolutely no reason not to strongly condemn the actions being taken today, whether they are American or not. What bridges are being burned? We are never, with respect to our great club, going to be playing in the 'Super' League.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:39 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:28 pm
In fairness, that's probably the right thing to do.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:43 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:36 pm
Aston Villa - though they are no doubt aggrieved that they have the same right as Chelsea and more than Arsenal, City and Spurs re Champs League/European Cup history - they have spent fortunes recently too
I've just had a look on their website to see what they said, and I Carnt find anything

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:45 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:43 pm
I've just had a look on their website to see what they said, and I Carnt find anything
Christian Purslow (their Chief Exec) vociferously condemned it earlier.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:45 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Would it not be more interesting for clubs like us to have a chance of getting into Europe, rather than making up the numbers?
I doubt we'd be anywhere near getting into Europe. It would be like the ITV debacle all over again, but with far worse consequences for smaller clubs like our own.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:48 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:45 pm
Christian Purslow (their Chief Exec) vociferously condemned it earlier.
Arh, right, I was looking for a club statement, that explains why I couldn't find it, thanks

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:52 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:38 pm
I see absolutely no reason not to strongly condemn the actions being taken today, whether they are American or not. What bridges are being burned? We are never, with respect to our great club, going to be playing in the 'Super' League.

Alan Pace is not steeped in the traditions of British football, he has invested in Burnley FC as a business opportunity. Even the BBC Business Editor argues that the new Europe Football Super League makes financial sense.

Let's wait to see what Alan Pace has to say on this proposal (if anything).

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:53 pm

Firthy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:50 pm
Arsenal one of the big 6 who managed to get one point from little old Burnley this season. From what I've seen on the news, they want to remain in the Premier League playing at weekends and the new Super League to replace the Champions League midweek. So they want the best of both worlds at the expense of smaller clubs. This is out and out pure greed and personally I'd be happy for them to go and join the Super League but be expelled from the Premier League. Would make the Premier League more interesting and a more equal footing for those left in it.
I think for the clapped out 'big' clubs like Arsenal, this is just a way of securing huge amounts of money by playing in 'Europe' without having to worry about pesky little things, like winning enough football matches to earn the right to be there, which they've failed miserably at for some time now.

That applies to both Milan clubs, who until this season have been laughing stocks for the best part of a decade. Also Manchester United, Tottenham and even Liverpool, who all have pretty patchy records when it comes to succeeding in Champions League qualification.

Barcelona are absolutely skint and are desperate to generate more money just to stay afloat.

Real Madrid and Juventus are run by massive egos, who probably see this as much as their own personal vanity project as something that might benefit their clubs financially.

Athletico, Chelsea and Man City could have their reasons, but may also feel pushed into a corner and are just worried about being left behind.

From top to bottom, the whole thing absolutely stinks.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:54 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:56 pm
There is no outright condemnation though is there?
to be fair I don't think he could go much further than that

dandeclaret
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 pm
Hardly..... he's 31 and playing for one of the big clubs in Europe.

dandeclaret
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:58 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:01 pm
pretty sure the shots were shown before the Newcastle game
They were, I messaged my Mum to say it looked cold where she was, as it showed the snow on the hills with the chimneys and terraced houses.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:59 pm

I've pondered and deliberated on posting. I won't mention club or business.
I've been to a meeting at one of the club's involved this morning. Suffice to say I doubt I'll be attending a second meeting later this week.
Our company very much doesn't want to be associated with a 'brand' that treats it's fans this way as we're a community business too.
We do have a second meeting planned but I have a strong feeling that'll be cancelled. Financially beneficial to us. Yes. Morally. No.
I spoke to fans of said club when they spotted by Clarets hat which I wear everywhere outside and they were apologetic and made it quite clear they wanted to distance themselves from these events. A number apologised to me.
There was an overwhelming feeling that a number of those I spoke to would not go inside their beloved stadium again.
So I can only echo CT's comments above. It seems to be an overwhelming majority of fans, including the supporters groups are all side by side.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 pm

diamondpocket wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:15 pm
Yeah, said just as much here a board member secretly talking to SSN - unbelievable listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YinDvtBCX0I
bare in mind Sky is owned by Comcast, it is in their interest to make stuff up to kill the league straight away - proper pinch of salt stuff
Last edited by Vegas Claret on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 pm

There is no point trying to work out why some clubs have been invited to join as founder members above others. Quite simply the owners of the 6 clubs have formed a clique to further their own financial interests and "fairness" wasn't part of the Zoom discussions.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:07 pm

tickled me
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-19 8.07.15 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-04-19 8.07.15 AM.png (830 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
These 2 users liked this post: BenWickes Zlatan

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:19 pm

Oliver Dowden speaking to parliament at 16:30 today about this and Sky Sports News have been told to "Ensure they tune in to hear what he has to say".

At the same time, I notice if I go on the Sky Bet app I can now get odds on an outright winner of the Premier League with the 'Big Six' removed.