“A blatant power grab” – Fans criticise own clubs on UCL plans

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Re: “A blatant power grab” – Fans criticise own clubs on UCL plans

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:24 am

Rowls wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:52 pm
I think they've over played their hand.

Yes, the Greedy 6 are the biggest draw in the Premier League but what are they without the Premier League?

Answer: They are nothing without the Premier League. Nothing.
Their Euro Stupid League will not work without a domestic league.
Now is the time to cut them down to size and also can this stupid Euro-qualification by "co-efficient" scam which would otherwise have snook under the radar.
Indeed , though now it’s been thankfully quashed ,what will UEFA have to soften the whole champs league charade with ? I dread to think but I’d imagine big concessions to the “ super clubs “ with the nonsensical “co-efficient” becoming the norm i.e “ we’re bigger than you so we qualify “

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:25 am

RMutt wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 am
It's hard to imagine wage caps in this day and age. How does that fit with modern employment law etc.?
The majority of normal jobs manage what amount to wage caps perfectly well. In my job I can only earn up to a scale maximum and even if I'm promoted to the top of the organisation then there's still an upper limit on what I earn.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:33 am

martin_p wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:25 am
The majority of normal jobs manage what amount to wage caps perfectly well. In my job I can only earn up to a scale maximum and even if I'm promoted to the top of the organisation then there's still an upper limit on what I earn.
Yes, I can see that an individual company or organisation might do that but in this case it would be a directive from another body forcing a company to implement the policy. i.e. EUFA, Government etc, telling a company they cannot pay their employees beyond a certain level. Is there a precedent for that kind of arrangement?

EricaJacko
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by EricaJacko » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am

European Super Leave

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:47 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:24 am
Indeed , though now it’s been thankfully quashed ,what will UEFA have to soften the whole champs league charade with ? I dread to think but I’d imagine big concessions to the “ super clubs “ with the nonsensical “co-efficient” becoming the norm i.e “ we’re bigger than you so we qualify “
Why should UEFA do that? The self-styled "big 12" 's ego has been deflated. They have been shown that they are not as powerful as they made themselves out to be. And I would water that down to the 4 ringleaders - Real Madrid, Juve, Man U and Liverpool. UEFA should give them a lesson that they will not forget in a hurry.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:46 am
He's absolutely desperate for this to go ahead, Real are in deep, deep trouble financially and this could've been a major lifeline to keep them ticking over.
Real have a lot of debt yes

Real have had a squeeze on revenues yes which has led to pressure on salaries as a result of the salary cap in La Liga up to now

Real are the world's most successful in realising commercial revenue - that may change after this last few days though (Liverpool had at least one international sponsor cancel on them on Monday)

throughout the Pandemic Real have been redeveloping the Bernabeu, hence the escalation in borrowing (it is long term borrowing not short term), it should be ready for the new season and has been designed to provide a significant Revenue uplift, as it has been designed to provide greater revenues all year round as well as ancilliary spending on matchday's

a current threat to Real is the pending decision of how much money they are to return to the Spanish authorities after the EU courts ruled the tax benefits they have reived over the las 25 years or so is state aid (Barcelona have the same issue) it may be one years worth (symbolic) it be be the total amount (restitution)
Last edited by Chester Perry on Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:56 am

The trouble with salary caps is how do you stop people getting around the rules with clubs buying mansions, flash cars etc. for the players instead of paying them additional wages?

If there was a limit of £100k per week for players in wages then unless you also limit the number of 'gifts' as well it will never work.

EricaJacko
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by EricaJacko » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:58 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:56 am
The trouble with salary caps is how do you stop people getting around the rules with clubs buying mansions, flash cars etc. for the players instead of paying them additional wages?

If there was a limit of £100k per week for players in wages then unless you also limit the number of 'gifts' as well it will never work.
There's also the unlikely possibility that wages were capped everywhere. People could opt to move to China, which could mean the Premier League lost the best players. It would need to be worldwide.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Hipper wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:38 am
Until 1986/87 (as we nearly learned to our cost!) the Football League was virtually a closed shop. Non-league clubs needed to be elected, bottom clubs re-elected.

I would think though that this was in part a legacy of the old amateur vs professional feud that occurred in the very early days of football, and non-league still being mostly part-time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... l)#History
It is one of the odd things about the "working man's game" is that is derived from the playing fields of the countries elite public schools and Universities which then saw the rules codified by the old boys so they could play the game when they wanted a bit of fun with "decent" chaps who didn't go to the same school as them. The fundamentals of those rules are still in place.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:05 pm

Spijed wrote:

You can ask Rangers (the original incarnation) how the authorities deal with that.

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:31 pm

Quote from a Gazzetta article:

"In the last 24 hours, in addition to threats from the institutions, the UEFA ambassadors had also left to convince the rebel clubs to reconsider. All but one: Agnelli's Juventus. He must not deal with anyone, Ceferin orders. After publicly calling him a liar and a snake, now the UEFA number one is hatching revenge and wants his head."

https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/ ... 2891.shtml

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:40 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:24 am
It would appear in the new proposals for the CL, if you quality for the knock out phase, you automatically qualify for the CL the year after.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:50 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:31 pm
The most appropriate punishment for these clubs is not to give them any representative position on any executive in the game for a very extended period. let them see how it feels to be on the receiving end of others desires for decades and feel what the sense of powerlessness is like
I have been thinking about this a bit more amid calls for massive points deductions and even making them start of the bottom of the league again. Many will argue that unduly punishes players and fans (and to some extent it is true - though a rangers style romp through the leagues would have the dual benefit of spreading a bit of wealth in the short term and educating the boardroom as the to traditional contexts of the game.

The way to hurt the owners and not the players or the fans is along the lines I suggested yesterday, added to this I would rollback a number of initiatives these clubs have driven through, that has caused disparity of the game - how many of you are ware that only 40 years ago all tv revenues in the league were shared equally across the 92 - I am not advocating that, things have moved on too much.

In the Premier leagues I would like to see:
the International income return to equal share (this would automatically increase the share to the EFL)
the number of basic games for TV share distribution increase to 19 (this again would automatically increase the share to the EFL)
The share of Premier League central revenue shared with the EFL be guaranteed as a minimum of 20% the original offer the Premier League made in 1992 (and that should not be targeted as a maximum by scheming executives)
These rules should be enshrined in perpetuity the same as the FA's golden share, the PFA's 5% share of domestic income and participation in the FA Cup and League Cup

At UEFA I would like to see
- the abolishment of Coefficient payments to qualifiers - the distortion in revenues it provides is beyond belief!
- the abolishment of the changes ratified on Monday for the Champions League post 2024 - it damages leagues and the fans have made it clear the like Super League they do not want it
- automatic qualification to the Champions League group stage for the to 12 ranked UEFA nations in club football based on UEFA competition coefficients (it is currently the top 7)
- a greater and more Equitable distribution of UEFA monies across the three UEFA club competitions say Champions League 60% (currently 80%) Europa League 25% (currently 20%) and the Europa Conference which starts next year 15% (currently nothing though was to come from the Europa Leagues pot not the Champions League pot

These should see fairer distributions across the game and ease some of the distortions between success and failures. There also needs to be a rethink of financial regulations as it is evident that they have only worked successfully in part.
Last edited by Chester Perry on Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: jtv Stayingup

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:51 pm

Spijed wrote:

So limit the number of gifts as well.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:13 pm

jtv wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:47 am
Why should UEFA do that? The self-styled "big 12" 's ego has been deflated. They have been shown that they are not as powerful as they made themselves out to be. And I would water that down to the 4 ringleaders - Real Madrid, Juve, Man U and Liverpool. UEFA should give them a lesson that they will not forget in a hurry.
Unfortunatley up to press UEFA is useless.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:21 pm

Spijed wrote:

You don't allow it. All those things have to be declared for tax anyway (or else you're into the realms of tax fraud). Rugby and Saracens have shown what happens when you try and get round the rules.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:25 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:50 pm
I have been thinking about this a bit more amid calls for massive points deductions and even making them start of the bottom of the league again. Many will argue that unduly punishes players and fans (and to some extent it is true - though a rangers style romp through the leagues would have the dual benefit of spreading a bit of wealth in the short term and educating the boardroom as the to traditional contexts of the game.

The way to hurt the owners and not the players or the fans is along the lines I suggested yesterday, added to this I would rollback a number of initiatives these clubs have driven through, that has caused disparity of the game - how many of you are ware that only 40 years ago all tv revenues in the league were shared equally across the 92 - I am not advocating that, things have moved on too much.

In the Premier leagues I would like to see:
the International income return to equal share (this would automatically increase the share to the EFL)
the number of basic games for TV share distribution increase to 19 (this again would automatically increase the share to the EFL)
The share of Premier League central revenue shared with the EFL be guaranteed as a minimum of 20% the original offer the Premier League made in 1992 (and that should not be targeted as a maximum by scheming executives)
These rules should be enshrined in perpetuity the same as the FA's golden share, the PFA's 5% share of domestic income and participation in the FA Cup and League Cup

At UEFA I would like to see
- the abolishment of Coefficient payments to qualifiers - the distortion in revenues it provides is beyond belief!
- the abolishment of the changes ratified on Monday for the Champions League post 2024 - it damages leagues and the fans have made it clear the like Super League they do not want it
- automatic qualification to the Champions League group stage for the to 12 ranked UEFA nations in club football based on UEFA competition coefficients (it is currently the top 7)
- a greater and more Equitable distribution of UEFA monies across the three UEFA club competitions say Champions League 60% (currently 80%) Europa League 25% (currently 20%) and the Europa Conference which starts next year 15% (currently nothing though was to come from the Europa Leagues pot not the Champions League pot

These should see fairer distributions across the game and ease some of the distortions between success and failures. There also needs to be a rethink of financial regulations as it is evident that they have only worked successfully in part.
If applied some of these proposals could well see off (future and possible current) American ownership. These owners love one thing - money, not football, clubs or theor fans If it limits their intake good and hopefully they will be cheesed off and buggar off!!! Oh AKL???

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:37 pm

aggi wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:21 pm
You don't allow it. All those things have to be declared for tax anyway (or else you're into the realms of tax fraud). Rugby and Saracens have shown what happens when you try and get round the rules.
But that would have to be the same around the world. Players would just end up in a country that didn't have the same tax rules as in the UK, for example.

That's why players are ending up in China, so unless they adopted the same rules on payments I can't see how anything can be capped.

Edit: Didn't Monaco attract better players because of their generous tax laws, thus they became a successful club?

And therefore still get a skewed European competition?

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:55 pm

I think this fiasco will stiffen the resolve of the other PL clubs in 'negotiations' with the <big 6> They have been granted exceptions and more money just on the threat of joining a super league. Now the rest of the PL will just say, "You REALLY want to go down that road again???"
It wouldn't surprise me now to see government intervention to level the playing field either.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:13 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:46 am
It's a pity that there are no fans in grounds at present. It would have been a good opportunity to get the Stadia rocking, when facing the BIG SIX, with a two section chant.

The first section chanting LOADSAMONEY , the second section replying NO CLASS

It could do the rounds in all non-ESL grounds.

Roy Keane hit the nail on the head in 2000 with his Prawn Sandwich comments. The directors of Clubs have lost the roots of football, but the events of the last few days have shown what football means to the average Joe, the ones who struggle to put food on the table, but who are still prepared to fork out to watch THEIR team week in week out.

I think that this debacle has come at a very timely point. Many fans have been falling out of love with football - VAR, cheating and the pandemic have certainly added to that; fans are now desperate to get back and see live matches; next season feels like a new start.

I applaud the words of our new Chairman. He is right, "The game is bigger than all of us". I do hope that he does walk the streets of Burnley and helps to ensure that ESL breakaways are not allowed to ruin football.

UTC !
Man United fans had organised a protest for 3pm this saturday, they are trying to still do it

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:13 pm
Man United fans had organised a protest for 3pm this saturday, they are trying to still do it
Arsenal fans are planning the same on Friday night.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:20 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 pm
Arsenal fans are planning the same on Friday night.
Arsenal fans are more likely to protest about dropping out!

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:22 pm

Out of the 6 I imagine 5 of the clubs will protest.

Can't see City hammering their owners even a bit

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:34 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:22 pm
Out of the 6 I imagine 5 of the clubs will protest.

Can't see City hammering their owners even a bit
Man City supporters are hypocrites. Moan about the Super league, yet are quite happy for their club to circumvent FFP rules that give them an unfair advantage over many other teams.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:47 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:34 pm
Man City supporters are hypocrites. Moan about the Super league, yet are quite happy for their club to circumvent FFP rules that give them an unfair advantage over many other teams.
I think fans of all six are hypocrites tbh. They've all wallowed in the minor-league they created for themselves and celebrated the championships and cups they've won without any thought to the impact on the wider game.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Andres Agnelli, the Juventus Chairman is blaming Boris Johnson for the English Clubs withdrawal, saying that " Johnson forced the collapse of the ESL as he feared it would undermine Brexit " ... Notts County should ask for their shirts back !!

Stark staring Tonto, that fella !! :lol:
Last edited by Clarets4me on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Rowls

Sproggy
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:52 pm

There's a campaign now started by Andy Burnham and Steve Rotherham for anyone that's interested...#

https://reclaimourgame.com/

bfcmik

Post by bfcmik » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:23 pm

Sproggy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:52 pm
There's a campaign now started by Andy Burnham and Steve Rotherham for anyone that's interested...#

I would be for all the proposals except the 3rd. I do not believe that forcing a 51% ownership for Supporter Trusts would necessarily be in the best interests of football! What, for instance, does the current majority do with the shares they bought for, say, £10,000 per share? Are they forced to hold onto their, say, 50,000 shares until the Supporters Trust can raise the£500,000,000 to purchase them when an offer for all the shares at £12,500 each is on the table? Would the supporters Trust have to match the new £12,500 per share offer?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:30 pm

if we are changing the way footy works I would also like to see a cap on the number of youth players teams can sign, for Chelsea to have 90 (ish) players out on loan last season is an absolute disgrace and does nothing for football

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:35 pm

Sproggy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:52 pm

It's a thinly disguised front for the Labour Party to try and appear on the side of the " working man/woman " , the address listed for " reclaimourgame.com " is the same address as the Labour Party's N/W Headquarters ...

" bandwagon let's get this on jump votes to more May in " ... rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying ! :roll:

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:30 pm
if we are changing the way footy works I would also like to see a cap on the number of youth players teams can sign, for Chelsea to have 90 (ish) players out on loan last season is an absolute disgrace and does nothing for football
less than half that

If you want to get serious on these points

- only allow clubs to have one academy - Chelsea are examining the possibility for up to 6 around the country
- have an outright global ban on multi-club ownership/partnership/relationship I would also add B teams to that
- limit transfers to 5 in or out per season in the top two tiers (finance in the lower tiers usually dictates one or two year contracts) - and insist all fees be paid in full upfront - that should bring those down a bit and encourage better planning, youth development as well as increasing jeopardy (I am starting to think that greater jeopardy will force a more equitable financial model)

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:43 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:35 pm
It's a thinly disguised front for the Labour Party to try and appear on the side of the " working man/woman " , the address listed for " reclaimourgame.com " is the same address as the Labour Party's N/W Headquarters ...

" bandwagon let's get this on jump votes to more May in " ... rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying ! :roll:
Well maybe but don't you think the Tories won't also be claiming to have "saved football"?

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:45 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:13 pm
Are they French? They complain and protest for nothing too ;)

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:47 pm

'CHELSEA FANS HAVE NO CONFIDENCE IN BUCK, LAURENCE'

Dan Silver of the Chelsea Supporters’ Trust says fans have lost confidence in chairman Bruce Buck and CEO Guy Laurence.

not Roman Abramovich then?

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:50 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:37 pm
But that would have to be the same around the world. Players would just end up in a country that didn't have the same tax rules as in the UK, for example.

That's why players are ending up in China, so unless they adopted the same rules on payments I can't see how anything can be capped.

Edit: Didn't Monaco attract better players because of their generous tax laws, thus they became a successful club?

And therefore still get a skewed European competition?
The rules not being implemented worldwide is an entirely different argument. There's no reason that salary caps can't include gifts and the like (most commercial contracts will have clauses covering payment not made in cash, it's not an unusual concept).
This user liked this post: Spijed

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:05 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 pm
less than half that

If you want to get serious on these points

- only allow clubs to have one academy - Chelsea are examining the possibility for up to 6 around the country
- have an outright global ban on multi-club ownership/partnership/relationship I would also add B teams to that
- limit transfers to 5 in or out per season in the top two tiers (finance in the lower tiers usually dictates one or two year contracts) - and insist all fees be paid in full upfront - that should bring those down a bit and encourage better planning, youth development as well as increasing jeopardy (I am starting to think that greater jeopardy will force a more equitable financial model)
maybe I misheard the quote ages ago, possibly 90 players over 3 seasons ? Either way, it needs addressing

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:39 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:50 pm
Andres Agnelli, the Juventus Chairman is blaming Boris Johnson for the English Clubs withdrawal, saying that " Johnson he forced the collapse of the ESL as he feared it would undermine Brexit " ... Notts County should askfor their shirts back !!

Stark staring Tonto, that fella !! :lol:
Hahaha if that's a genuine quote.

Hahahahaha the ESL would have brought about the collapse of Brexit :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least there's a chuckleworthy element to this now but we should never forget this was a deadly serious assault on the integrity of football across Europe.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 pm

Only person i know who was in favour of the ESL was a plastic Arsenal fan at work.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:54 pm

I was in the pub with a couple of Spurs fans last night who were laughing that Spurs were a part of it somehow.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:22 pm

claretandy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 pm
Only person i know who was in favour of the ESL was a plastic Arsenal fan at work.
similar for me - Arsenal "fan" I know on Facebook... never been to the Emirates either :roll: only ever watched on TV and supports Arsenal because her dad took her to Highbury once (didn't watch a game though, only went there to look around). She gets a new shirt every season though, and talks about football all the time...

I asked her about offside once... :D

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:32 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:22 pm
similar for me - Arsenal "fan" I know on Facebook... never been to the Emirates either :roll: only ever watched on TV and supports Arsenal because her dad took her to Highbury once (didn't watch a game though, only went there to look around). She gets a new shirt every season though, and talks about football all the time...

I asked her about offside once... :D
Exactly the type of FOMO/Big Event fan that the SLco12 were targeting according to their pubished research

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:02 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:05 pm
maybe I misheard the quote ages ago, possibly 90 players over 3 seasons ? Either way, it needs addressing
They used to usually have 40 plus out on loan per season, but I think that there was a rule change the other year to stop that.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:26 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:02 pm
They used to usually have 40 plus out on loan per season, but I think that there was a rule change the other year to stop that.
I didn't hear about that, cheers

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:32 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:23 pm
I would be for all the proposals except the 3rd. I do not believe that forcing a 51% ownership for Supporter Trusts would necessarily be in the best interests of football! What, for instance, does the current majority do with the shares they bought for, say, £10,000 per share? Are they forced to hold onto their, say, 50,000 shares until the Supporters Trust can raise the£500,000,000 to purchase them when an offer for all the shares at £12,500 each is on the table? Would the supporters Trust have to match the new £12,500 per share offer?
I was watching a Chelsea supporters blog last night, one lad had shares. When Abram bought the club he compulsory purchased the fans shares at a price he decided, not the price he paid for shares when he bought the club. That needs legislation, one share, one price. Disgraceful they can do that.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:39 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:26 pm
I didn't hear about that, cheers
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51665904

Here it is.

As an example, Jack Cork got his first senior contract at Chelsea in 2006,was at Chelsea for 5yrs and spent all 5yrs out on loan at varying clubs inc his first spell here.

He left in 2011 to sign for Southampton and he never made a single first team appearance for Chelsea.

A number of the bigger clubs got into a habit of harvesting up all the half decent talent and then sending most out on loan.
Some of those players were first team players they'd signed and then didn't need but made money from loan fees.
The former Wigan player Victor moses is another one, 8yrs he's been a Chelsea player, 87 first team appearances, most of the time out on loan making money in fees.

The flip side is also clubs relied more heavily on loan players.
One year Tranmere had over a dozen I think it was.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:56 pm

aggi wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:54 pm
I was in the pub with a couple of Spurs fans last night who were laughing that Spurs were a part of it somehow.
Outside the pub, surely?

bfcmik

Post by bfcmik » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:56 pm

BREAKING NEWS
Burnley, Preston NE, Blackpool, Accrington, Fleetwood Town and Morecambe to join new breakaway Lancashire Super League.

The move has been condemned by the remaining Lancashire club Blackburn Rovers, as the gulf between them and “The Big 6” widens

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:40 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:32 pm
I was watching a Chelsea supporters blog last night, one lad had shares. When Abram bought the club he compulsory purchased the fans shares at a price he decided, not the price he paid for shares when he bought the club. That needs legislation, one share, one price. Disgraceful they can do that.
There is legislation for that. Sounds like the story may have been exaggerated for dramatic effect.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:40 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:56 pm
Outside the pub, surely?
Ha, indeed.

Vegas Claret