Alan Pace statement on ESL

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32239 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Alan Pace statement on ESL

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:11 pm

I posted this on a thread earlier but it was pointed out, rightly so I think, that it should have its own thread.

This from Alan Pace today.

A breakaway Super League should never have happened, but this is about much more than club self-interest and is an example of how the governance of football in this country and throughout Europe needs to be reformed.

The six Premier League clubs taking this step have turned their back on our moral duty as custodians of the game to protect English football and, the spirit of the sport, at all costs.

Weak governance has led us to this point.

Therefore, today I am calling on Boris Johnson and Oliver Dowden to follow their welcome intervention and now appoint an independent regulator to protect English football with legislation.

As a former financier, I understand the commercial considerations for these clubs and can appreciate their frustration at being the largest revenue drivers for the UEFA Champions League, without receiving the same levels of influence and reward.

However, this is a move which does not treat fans or the game’s history with the respect it deserves and is not the solution.

We need to ensure that football is protected. The game is bigger than all of us, and its future cannot be compromised by self-interest.

The contempt the proposals have received was inevitable.

It is truly a shame that it has come to this. We are the greatest league in the world and we can do more to bring people together and set the path forward for all and not just the few.

We have a responsibility to all that have come before us and all those who will follow in the wider game.

While we too at Burnley have ambitious plans to grow the club’s revenues, those plans have always been on the back of performance, both on and off the pitch, and not artificial protectionism.

As my business partners and I have now been working and living in Burnley for several months and are in the process of moving permanently to the area, I would greatly encourage my fellow chairmen to walk the streets around their local communities and get to know them personally, rather than creating more distance between themselves and fans.

This is also why I invite No10, the Government and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport to now legislate.

Ultimately, we need a strong regulator in the style of OFTEL or OFCOM to protect and build the interests of English football.

It’s time to do things differently!

Over the coming days, I will be working hard alongside my fellow club owners and governing bodies to fight these proposals and find a solution to improved football governance in this country.

I welcome initial noises coming from the UK Government and encourage them to provide strong leadership on these proposals, given their seismic impact on the UK’s cultural landscape.

Yours, in Football

Alan Pace
These 27 users liked this post: GDK Zlatan Elizabeth Colburn_Claret onewillieirvine ICL Mayoclaret mill hill claret COBBLE Dark Cloud 4:20 frankinwales elwaclaret NewClaret bfcjg KateR Aclaret Paul Waine Cirrus_Minor Jel Leisure Claretlad k90bfc BertiesBeehole CnBtruntru Mala591 jtv

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Re: Alan Pace statement on ESL

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:20 pm

A really honest and sincere statement from Pace that I am well pleased with

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:22 pm

posted on another thread but will post here too

I have voiced reservations about a government appointed regulator for football a number of times, and continue to acknowledge the failings of the football authorities.

I feel the club (and by extension the Premier League, because I suspect this is a conclusion the 14 have come to out of desperation - which is never a good strategy) are inviting further long lasting complications into their lives that they may regret all too quickly

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:26 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:11 pm

While we too at Burnley have ambitious plans to grow the club’s revenues, those plans have always been on the back of performance, both on and off the pitch, and not artificial protectionism.
Too bloody true.

I'm glad we've had a response from the board, it doesn't make it go away, but equally it will sooth the fans somewhat. At least he's on the side of the Angels.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32239 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:28 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:26 pm
Too bloody true.

I'm glad we've had a response from the board, it doesn't make it go away, but equally it will sooth the fans somewhat. At least he's on the side of the Angels.
And getting it right too with the need for legislation
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:29 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:22 pm
posted on another thread but will post here too

I have voiced reservations about a government appointed regulator for football a number of times, and continue to acknowledge the failings of the football authorities.

I feel the club (and by extension the Premier League, because I suspect this is a conclusion the 14 have come to out of desperation - which is never a good strategy) are inviting further long lasting complications into their lives that they may regret all too quickly
I get that Chester, but at the same time it's obvious the future cannot be trusted in the hands of the self serving. We can't cherry pick which chairmen we want to organise the game, so an outside body, whether governmental or not, is the only solution.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:32 pm

Decent response and good to see too.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:28 pm
And getting it right too with the need for legislation
Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:29 pm
I get that Chester, but at the same time it's obvious the future cannot be trusted in the hands of the self serving. We can't cherry pick which chairmen we want to organise the game, so an outside body, whether governmental or not, is the only solution.
considered and balanced legislation takes many years to form before it is passed into law, many will be demanding something in weeks or months and that approach has always failed on many fronts, and has always been extremely difficult or even impossible to repair

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:39 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm
considered and balanced legislation takes many years to form before it is passed into law, many will be demanding something in weeks or months and that approach has always failed on many fronts, and has always been extremely difficult or even impossible to repair
Just because there's a call for legislation, doesn't mean it has to be delivered tomorrow, next week, or even next year. Clubs will have to have an input on how the legislation works, even the greedy 6, at the end of the day all that matters is we come up with something that protects the game on all levels, from the hands of a few.
Even putting in wage caps, or legislating FFP, so that paper rich chairman cannot do as they wish, and sod everyone else.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:41 pm

Excellent response but I don't think we've done any funnies on twitter. #shameful

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:42 pm

He speaks very well, for all my questioning of the finances behind the takeover and unanswered questions I think Pace so far has been quite impressive.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:45 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:39 pm
Just because there's a call for legislation, doesn't mean it has to be delivered tomorrow, next week, or even next year. Clubs will have to have an input on how the legislation works, even the greedy 6, at the end of the day all that matters is we come up with something that protects the game on all levels, from the hands of a few.
Even putting in wage caps, or legislating FFP, so that paper rich chairman cannot do as they wish, and sod everyone else.
Legislation will not be putting in wage caps and is unlikely to be made for FFP that is in breach of a number of laws - competitions may do that but the law cannot make such an implementation

this is the kind of reactionary statement that I was counselling against - good considered and balanced law requires around 7 years in preparation on average - I do not see anyone willing to give it that kind of input

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:46 pm

Follow the money

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:54 pm

I'd agree with Chester in the "careful what you wish for" in terms of legislation. Well meaning intentions can have lengthy, unexpected consequences. Things like wage caps/FFP (which ironically the ESL wants to introduce) can also cause issues with the league virtually becoming a closed shop (those further down can't close the gap with the top table quick enough).

The sport becoming a political football risks knee jerk populist reactions rather than an organic development, and also being tied up in whatever the political flavour of the day is.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 pm

Let them go but no comebacks. Ban their players from any future involvement in CL, EL or internationals. This is not meant as a dig at the current players who appear to have been as one in rejecting the proposal.
I would hope the current players would walk away from their contracts and find new clubs even on lesser salaries. Any who choose not to have shown their priorities.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:11 pm
I posted this on a thread earlier but it was pointed out, rightly so I think, that it should have its own thread.

A breakaway Super League should never have happened, but this is about much more than club self-interest and is an example of how the governance of football in this country and throughout Europe needs to be reformed.

The six Premier League clubs taking this step have turned their back on our moral duty as custodians of the game to protect English football and, the spirit of the sport, at all costs.

Weak governance has led us to this point.

Therefore, today I am calling on Boris Johnson and Oliver Dowden to follow their welcome intervention and now appoint an independent regulator to protect English football with legislation.

As a former financier, I understand the commercial considerations for these clubs and can appreciate their frustration at being the largest revenue drivers for the UEFA Champions League, without receiving the same levels of influence and reward.

However, this is a move which does not treat fans or the game’s history with the respect it deserves and is not the solution.

We need to ensure that football is protected. The game is bigger than all of us, and its future cannot be compromised by self-interest.

The contempt the proposals have received was inevitable.

It is truly a shame that it has come to this. We are the greatest league in the world and we can do more to bring people together and set the path forward for all and not just the few.

We have a responsibility to all that have come before us and all those who will follow in the wider game.

As my business partners and I have now been working and living in Burnley for several months and are in the process of moving permanently to the area, I would greatly encourage my fellow chairmen to walk the streets around their local communities and get to know them personally, rather than creating more distance between themselves and fans.

This is also why I invite No10, the Government and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport to now legislate.

Ultimately, we need a strong regulator in the style of OFTEL or OFCOM to protect and build the interests of English football.

It’s time to do things differently!

Over the coming days, I will be working hard alongside my fellow club owners and governing bodies to fight these proposals and find a solution to improved football governance in this country.

I welcome initial noises coming from the UK Government and encourage them to provide strong leadership on these proposals, given their seismic impact on the UK’s cultural landscape.

Yours, in Football

Alan Pace
Absolutely perfect.... well done AP.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Good statement.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:24 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:54 pm
I'd agree with Chester in the "careful what you wish for" in terms of legislation. Well meaning intentions can have lengthy, unexpected consequences. Things like wage caps/FFP (which ironically the ESL wants to introduce) can also cause issues with the league virtually becoming a closed shop (those further down can't close the gap with the top table quick enough).

The sport becoming a political football risks knee jerk populist reactions rather than an organic development, and also being tied up in whatever the political flavour of the day is.
I think generous salary caps are exactly what is needed through the Pyramid. Performance bonuses like Burnley apply are common in business, even British industry incentivise. Within a few years agents would have to come back to earth, the biggest money on offer will be relative compared to today... but how the hell is that not beneficial when fourteen year old kids are becoming millionaires, while lower leagues are having to increasingly make service positions part time. It would hardly have to be set at the levels that so upset Jimmy Hill and would restore football club structures to top down to apprentices... where managers, manage and chairman run the business model?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:29 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:24 pm
I think generous salary caps are exactly what is needed through the Pyramid. Performance bonuses like Burnley apply are common in business, even British industry incentivise. Within a few years agents would have to come back to earth, the biggest money on offer will be relative compared to today... but how the hell is that not beneficial when fourteen year old kids are becoming millionaires, while lower leagues are having to increasingly make service positions part time. It would hardly have to be set at the levels that so upset Jimmy Hill and would restore football club structures to top down to apprentices... where managers, manage and chairman run the business model?
Mandatory relegation clauses in all player contracts.
Wage Bill must NOT exceed normal revenue streams.
Agents shouldn't be able to represent both sides in negotiations and if they're representing players, be paid by the players.

There are other ways to help clubs keep finances under control, but those are a couple of examples.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:35 pm

will stronger governance preclude leveraged buy outs?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:36 pm

Great reassuring statement. What part of Burnley are they living in again ?

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:36 pm

An excellent statement that will go a long way to show we are in safe hands

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:38 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:35 pm
will stronger governance preclude leveraged buy outs?
only in the sense it will make them more likely because of stronger finances

I don't want to appear snotty but I suspect you mean prevent or block

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:39 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:36 pm
Great reassuring statement. What part of Burnley are they living in again ?
The Ribble Valley you know the parts that are in Burnley Wood and and Stoops
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:41 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:29 pm
Mandatory relegation clauses in all player contracts.
Wage Bill must NOT exceed normal revenue streams.
Agents shouldn't be able to represent both sides in negotiations and if they're representing players, be paid by the players.

There are other ways to help clubs keep finances under control, but those are a couple of examples.
again all that could not be enforced by legislation, competition rules could cover some of it

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:44 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:24 pm
I've been a Salary Cap advocate for many years on contracts.
Bonus payments to be reviewed season by season.
The amounts of money sloshing around have been obscene for a long while now.
Football is just eating itself. With the latest direction these clubs are taking now, there won't be much left of the game.

I'd love to see them booted out of every domestic league and cup world wide, with no hope of a return.
Let them endlessly play with themselves in in some sterile, never ending league.
I'm convinced normal football would find its feet again and thrive.
These 2 users liked this post: elwaclaret tiger76

grapidianclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by grapidianclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:48 pm

As said above,impressive,well thought out statement.
A wage cap gas to happen at some point,but it needs to be fifa that legislates a global cap,individual associations would be cutting their own throats.
So, obviously,it will never happen.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:51 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:38 pm
only in the sense it will make them more likely because of stronger finances

I don't want to appear snotty but I suspect you mean prevent or block
nope I meant preclude.
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:53 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:51 pm
nope I meant preclude.
I take my lesson humbly :oops:

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:21 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 pm
Let them go but no comebacks. Ban their players from any future involvement in CL, EL or internationals. This is not meant as a dig at the current players who appear to have been as one in rejecting the proposal.
I would hope the current players would walk away from their contracts and find new clubs even on lesser salaries. Any who choose not to have shown their priorities.
Not sure how that'd work, Huw, contracts would be pretty binding. The only way I can see would be to argue restraint of trade, a la Bosman, but that'd require a player to bring a legal test case, presumably while being suspended without pay....any takers, do you reckon?

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:25 pm

rob63 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:21 pm
Not sure how that'd work, Huw, contracts would be pretty binding. The only way I can see would be to argue restraint of trade, a la Bosman, but that'd require a player to bring a legal test case, presumably while being suspended without pay....any takers, do you reckon?
Fair point but if they all downed tools there would be a major dilemma for the clubs. Starting their new leagues with no players would be difficult.
Aren’t their contracts registered with the FA? Can they not null & void them?

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:32 pm

Brilliant statement.

AP seems to get it right every time!!

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:36 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:41 pm
again all that could not be enforced by legislation, competition rules could cover some of it
It probably could now that we've left the EU. Whether you'd want it to is obviously another issue.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:36 pm

Pace due to be interviewed on 5Live by Tony Livesey in the next few minutes if anyone's interested.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:46 pm

rob63 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:21 pm
Player contracts normally contain a clause stating the club's obligations to the player. One of these will be that the club will follow the rules of FIFA, UEFA, the FA and the Premier League. There's generally also some undertaking that they won't prevent players from representing their country. The breach of the first is pretty clear and possibly the second as well.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:55 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:36 pm
Pace due to be interviewed on 5Live by Tony Livesey in the next few minutes if anyone's interested.
Spoke well

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:56 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:46 pm
Player contracts normally contain a clause stating the club's obligations to the player. One of these will be that the club will follow the rules of FIFA, UEFA, the FA and the Premier League. There's generally also some undertaking that they won't prevent players from representing their country. The breach of the first is pretty clear and possibly the second as well.
Thanks for the insight Aggi, I only have knowledge of regular employment contracts. Sounds like it could lead to a rush to the exit for players with International aspirations, leaving the oldies & internationally hamstrung behind, shades of the Packer cricket circus there?

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:00 pm

aggi wrote:
Hence the pre-emptive court cases to block the FIFA.UEFA penalties - SLco12 have won the first in Spain, we await Italy and the UK hearings

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:11 pm

aggi wrote:
The players might not be able to be banned from representing their countries but surely there is nothing to stop the managers of the national teams not picking them.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:13 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:55 pm
Spoke well
Yes he did, I've never heard him speak before, he has a pronounced American accent doesn't he.

I totally take on board what he said about these owners actually walking around their communities, so let's see if he's true to his word and he's seen out and about in the Burnley area soon.

He also hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the peril of relegation is integral to the English game in a way that most Americans can't comprehend, and if you take the competitive element away you totally change the ethos of the league, who's going to be interested in watching games that have no needle, it'd be just like a pre-season friendly with no atmosphere and zero passion.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:45 pm

Brief snippet of what he said here for those who missed it.

Burnley chairman Alan Pace - who is part of American investment group ALK Capital - has also been speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live about the announcement, and whether he as an American can understand the proposal.

Three of the six Premier League clubs - Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal - are owned by Americans.

“I certainly understand the business model of a closed shop," said Pace.

"The understanding of not having promotion or relegation, but there is something that has drawn the rest of the world to this league and to this special nature of what happens that is different.

"All you need to do is look at the fan base, why is there not a fanbase for any American sport the size of the Premier League? It’s not just the way that it operates, there is something special.

"I can understand the operating side and the economics that are involved. But you have to look back and think why did you choose to get involved in this league? Why did you choose to get involved in this sport?

"Because there is something very, very special and it’s those fans, that passion the structure - there’s so many pieces of it. You can’t destroy that. You can’t rip the heart out of the body and expect the body to live on.”

mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:56 pm

What the new chairman had said Makes a lot of sense. Good to hear that.

Compared to the nonsense the chairman of Real Madrid came out with today saying that the only income they get is from television. Ah what a shame.
So they get nothing from match attendances, ticket sales, exhorbitantly priced football gear, hospitality, transfer fees and all the rest then.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:59 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:45 pm
Brief snippet of what he said here for those who missed it.

Burnley chairman Alan Pace - who is part of American investment group ALK Capital - has also been speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live about the announcement, and whether he as an American can understand the proposal.

Three of the six Premier League clubs - Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal - are owned by Americans.

“I certainly understand the business model of a closed shop," said Pace.

"The understanding of not having promotion or relegation, but there is something that has drawn the rest of the world to this league and to this special nature of what happens that is different.

"All you need to do is look at the fan base, why is there not a fanbase for any American sport the size of the Premier League? It’s not just the way that it operates, there is something special.

"I can understand the operating side and the economics that are involved. But you have to look back and think why did you choose to get involved in this league? Why did you choose to get involved in this sport?

"Because there is something very, very special and it’s those fans, that passion the structure - there’s so many pieces of it. You can’t destroy that. You can’t rip the heart out of the body and expect the body to live on.”
He was much less keen when asked about the 50% + 1 rule coming to these shores and struggled a bit to formulate a response - I sensed a bit of tongue biting before he gave a politicians answer

for the record I do not believe 50% + 1 rule is the answer

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:15 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:59 pm
He was much less keen when asked about the 50% + 1 rule coming to these shores and struggled a bit to formulate a response - I sensed a bit of tongue biting before he gave a politicians answer

Yes he did seem rather reluctant about that move, I'm not sure how that could work in practice in England, I know it's successful in Germany, but it's embedded in their culture whereas it's not a formula that's common in England, certainly not in the PL anyway.

There's no easy answers to some of football's problems, but I'm confident the solution doesn't lie in setting up the ESL, that will just increase the gap between the average PL/Championship clubs and the elite clubs, and decrease any genuine competition in the PL itself, which will in turn lead to fans becoming bored of seeing the same names at the top of the table. look at how much interest has been generated by Leicester and West Ham challenging for the CL slots this season alone, and that's got to remain the goal for every club however unlikely it might be to attain the dream of improving enough to sustain a genuine challenge to the usual suspects, if you lose that the whole league will die a slow lingering death due to apathy.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:33 pm

Not sure legislation is the answer.

It might be necessary but the 14 clubs who have not disgraced themselves should at least attempt to sort this out before it comes to government intervention.

Of course, we shouldn't have to sort out the mess the Greedy 6 have made but then again, neither should the government. Government intervention should be a last resort.

Apart from that, the spirit of and tone of Mr Pace's statement is spot on. It's particularly heartening to hear him talking about the local community and being an active part of that.

Hopefully this mess can be sorted out without government intervention.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:34 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:59 pm

How many fans do we have that could buy 50% + 1 of Burnley, if Alan Pace and partners have paid £150 million for 84%?

For better or worse, the German model isn't the solution for Premier League and the rest of the England and Wales football pyramid. It's also under strain in German with Red Bull and RB Leipzig, I believe. I expect, CP, that you are more up to speed with the latest on RBL - and maybe you have a post or two on the excellent MMT thread.

I like the fact that Alan Pace has experience of US financial institutions and how the wealthy Americans want to make more wealth. It adds credibility to his statement that promotion and relegation is part of the special attraction of the Premier League and part of the reason that it is the leading football league, globally.

UTC

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:38 pm

Way its panned out makes you wonder if Mr Pace made his statement once he saw the tide was turning and that he was going to be on the winning side of the argument
This user liked this post: Kreuzberg

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:57 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:38 pm
Way its panned out makes you wonder if Mr Pace made his statement once he saw the tide was turning and that he was going to be on the winning side of the argument
And why would you wonder that?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:03 pm

Leisure wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:57 pm
I often wonder about many things and this Super League business seems to be at the forefront of a lot of peoples minds at present

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:04 pm

Leisure wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:57 pm
He's bored and trolling, that's why he's wondering.
These 3 users liked this post: Leisure Rowls Buxtonclaret