Playing sport vs watching sport

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Mala591
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 428 times

Playing sport vs watching sport

Post by Mala591 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:53 pm

My advice to my children/grandchildren is that playing sport is a far better life experience than watching sport, so go out there and find a sport you are reasonably good at and give it all you’ve got!
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Joe Buck
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Re: Playing sport vs watching sport

Post by Joe Buck » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:01 pm

100% agree but you don’t have to be particularly good at it just enjoy.
I played football at quite a good level and have always been a member of a running club.
Do it while you can. Plenty of time to watch sport when you’re old

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:12 pm

You can say that. And to a degree it is. But I never played Saturdays mainly because I’ve gone on the turf forever. And let it’s take priority over things it maybe shouldn’t. But the memories I’ve had. Mates I’ve made. Highs and lows experienced can’t be felt anywhere else than watching your home town team.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:59 am

I never played Saturday either, had some great times playing Sundays but only because our team was my exact friend circle from school and even now.

It’s different now as we barely play Saturdays, I’d likely have given up football if I was playing.
My best mate played semi professional football from 16-30 and deep down he’s gutted about all the trips he missed with the lads and used to rush back after games to meet us all, where as part of me wishes I’d had his career.

Mondsley
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Mondsley » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:21 am

I played cricket at Littleborough from 1971 to 1996 including 4 years in the eighties when I was first team skipper. So the question of watching or playing came up many times. Playing cricket always won. The most conflicted I felt was the Orient game. As 1st team skipper at the time I decided my loyalties should be to LCC and my team mates. But I can tell you that sitting on the pavillion steps at Royton listening to the last 15 minutes of the game were hell! Not sure I would make the same choices now!

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:37 am

Mondsley, you were a high achieving cricketer captaining a successful Central Lancs League side, I could only play for Heywood Grammar and Smithy Bridge! Was it natural talent or graft and hard practice? Either way you were dedicated to both L’boro and the Clarets. Looking back I guess cricket gave you the most pleasure and you made the right choices, the Orient game might have killed you!

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:46 am

I played Saturday afternoons for years. Sunday leagues always seemed a bit rough and ready with half the players nursing hangovers. One thing I've found is that playing for thirty years or more makes watching harder. You get used to being able to affect the course of the match and after that it's hard to be just an anxious spectator.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:55 am

Always, always, always choose participation over watching. It doesn't matter what level you are at or what your sport is, if you enjoy it you should be in the action not on the side lines.

Having said that, there's no reason why you can't do both, play and compete in a sport - again, at whatever your level is - and watch the elite in action in their sports.

As we withdraw from lockdown I'm looking forward to joining a walking football team. I'd love it if I have to compete for selection. I'd love it even more if there's a league and I can add to my memories of kicking a ball around.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:57 am

I really enjoy fell/trail running and cycling. The former I’ve really gotten into over the past 18 months. If I hadn’t already paid for my season ticket for next season I wouldn’t be renewing. I can spend my Saturdays on the turf when my knees have gone

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:59 am

Mondsley wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:21 am
I played cricket at Littleborough from 1971 to 1996 including 4 years in the eighties when I was first team skipper. So the question of watching or playing came up many times. Playing cricket always won. The most conflicted I felt was the Orient game. As 1st team skipper at the time I decided my loyalties should be to LCC and my team mates. But I can tell you that sitting on the pavillion steps at Royton listening to the last 15 minutes of the game were hell! Not sure I would make the same choices now!
I was sitting in the driver's seat of a Talbot Solara in the car-park at Blackburn Rugby Club, still in full kit with two like minded team-mates listening to Peter Jones & a young Allan Green describe the action, and praying for George Courtney to blow for full time ... ;)
This user liked this post: Mondsley

Mondsley
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Mondsley » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:59 am

CleggHall wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:37 am
Mondsley, you were a high achieving cricketer captaining a successful Central Lancs League side, I could only play for Heywood Grammar and Smithy Bridge! Was it natural talent or graft and hard practice? Either way you were dedicated to both L’boro and the Clarets. Looking back I guess cricket gave you the most pleasure and you made the right choices, the Orient game might have killed you!
Kind of you to say so. A bit of all 3 probably. Was it Gary Player who said "the more I practice the luckier I get"?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:35 am

Playing should always come first.

I missed out on a few big Burnley games as a cricketer. That's the trouble with the seasons over lapping.

You're a long time retired from sport.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:10 pm

The one thing that you notice massively on photos of sports teams is the age difference between now and then.
30 years ago everyone seemed over 30, whereas now everyone seems to stop playing by 25 to bring up families amongst other reasons.

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:41 pm

It's a balance. Lots of people play too long (at the wrong level) and suffer physically as they age and regret it. My advice is to play for fun, look after yourself, and never, ever play injured. Basically what my Dad does and he still plays proper (not walking) football approaching 70!

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:52 pm

Always enjoyed playing but my body wasn't really up to it long term due to having a curved spine and slightly rotated pelvis.

Also used to get really frustrated with people who couldn't read the game in the same way I could.

I don't really miss playing, whereas my mate who had to stop due to ulcerative colitis took it really badly when he had to stop, he pretty much grieved over that change in his life for a long time.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 998 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:18 pm

For me- playing is far the best, especially a team sport.
Managed 11 a-side footy until early forties, decent 5 a-side until early 50s and club cricket until latish 50s. Had some great times and made some v good mates who I still see/ communicate with.
Played racket sports as well, enjoyable but not like the team games.

I've watched plenty of sport too, some good times but not in the same sphere as playing.

Obviously it depends on how your body holds up but it's good to play as long as you can without risking longer-term injuries/pain.

I still sometimes dream about being involved in footy or cricket matches - about 30 years/15 years after actually stopping. (I'm talking about normal situations here- not scoring the winner at Webley in claret & blue :D ).

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:58 pm

As one who has always enjoyed watching Burnley and also playing football and tennis I know how difficult it is to be torn in two directions. Although I played for a reasonably good side I was one of the less skilful players and knew I would lose my place if I did something other than play in a match.

Someone once told me that you should play while you can because you won't have that choice to worry about when you get older, and I retired from playing at age 40, hoping I would have another 50 years of going to the Turf.

You can't beat playing, and I did so as often as I could, but still managed to see quite a lot of Burnley matches between games. In pre-Premier League games you could always get a ticket as a one=off, but it's harder today when you need to commit to a season ticket unless you like going on your own.