Crystal Palace contact Burnley over Dyche compensation fee

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Re: Crystal Palace contact Burnley over Dyche compensation fee

Post by Hipper » Fri May 28, 2021 5:12 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:17 pm
Not sure I agree. Another club to prove he can do it but still with similar restraints to us. I'd see the likes of Leicester and Aston Villa as stepping stones. Not Crystal Palace. If he does well their it's not really showing he can manage top players and I don't think it will make a top club any more likely to come in for him.

If their club were in a different situation then perhaps. Just like us they've been a victim to other clubs spending a lot more, including some newly promoted clubs. With a big rebuilding job Dyche will know that it's hard to develop team rapport.

I think he'll know it's risky and won't go unless he's very disappointed by his transfer and wage budget here. If he does go I think it's a very bad sign because it shows he's not confident we have enough money to spend.
Dyche has shown for half a season what he and his coaching staff can do with a bunch of mediocre Premier League players plus two that are a bit superior, Defour and Brady.

To my mind he has more opportunity at practically any other Premier League club, including Palace, to do that then he has had at Burnley since then. Whether Pace and co can offer him that chance again is what I'm interested to see.

ian
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Post by ian » Fri May 28, 2021 5:13 pm

Little_britton wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:42 am
I agree and I don't think we'd be in the Premier league furlong if it was to happen...
I'll stick my neck out and say you'd go to any length to insert racing related puns!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri May 28, 2021 5:20 pm

ian wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:13 pm
I'll stick my neck out and say you'd go to any length to insert racing related puns!
Please don't saddle us with those 🙄

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Fri May 28, 2021 5:51 pm

We should go flat out and jump through hoops to keep him.

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Fri May 28, 2021 5:55 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:26 pm
Villa would be a perfect next step for McNiel. Hopefully its a load of nonsense but Nixon does tend to know his onions and gets a hell of a lot right with these kind of storys
Course he does! 😁

Volvoclaret

Post by Volvoclaret » Fri May 28, 2021 6:00 pm

Did Nixon get it from the horses mouth?
That's it, last one promise. 😉
This user liked this post: Bosscat

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri May 28, 2021 6:07 pm

Knowing the way Sean likes to send “messages” it is likely that only he and his agent know his intentions. If he can wrangle a payrise out of this (in the post Covid era where wages are set to dive), and if he can secure promises to spend ‘x’ on players, that would be an incredible piece of negotiation.

He may like Palace, but it can be a revolving door, better than some, but 16th in February is likely to make the board have an itchy trigger finger, let alone 20th. A big risk of enforced early retirement at this level given he is already financially secure for life.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5211 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri May 28, 2021 6:15 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:07 pm
Knowing the way Sean likes to send “messages” it is likely that only he and his agent know his intentions. If he can wrangle a payrise out of this (in the post Covid era where wages are set to dive), and if he can secure promises to spend ‘x’ on players, that would be an incredible piece of negotiation.

He may like Palace, but it can be a revolving door, better than some, but 16th in February is likely to make the board have an itchy trigger finger, let alone 20th. A big risk of enforced early retirement at this level given he is already financially secure for life.
I dont think Dyche has an agent. Dyche seems capable of managing his own affairs and being the good and honest character he is I wouldn't expect him to allow a money grabbing parasite to be involved on his behalf.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri May 28, 2021 6:19 pm

Volvoclaret wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:00 pm
They need reining in
This user liked this post: Volvoclaret

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:19 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:07 pm

I thought the revolving door comment was harsh on Palace until I looked at their managerial history :shock:

Volvoclaret

Post by Volvoclaret » Fri May 28, 2021 8:39 pm

Keeping him should be a cinch.
Ok I lied.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Fri May 28, 2021 8:52 pm

Crystal Palace doesn't come with a Designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and beers to boot and it's deep in Saaaflaaandan and the players have more stuff to contend with, so more job interference.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sat May 29, 2021 2:11 am

some interesting numbers in the Mail as to Dyche's contract - pretty sure this is very different to what has been previously reported about his deal

AHEAD OF THE GAME: Sean Dyche's switch from Burnley to Crystal Palace hits hitch over £20m compensation bill needed to prise manager away
Burnley boss Sean Dyche is one of Crystal Palace's choices for their new coach
It would cost the Eagles £20m in compensation to prise away manager Dyche
Swansea boss Steve Cooper, Frank Lampard and Chris Wilder are also targets
By MATT HUGHES FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:33, 28 May 2021 | UPDATED: 22:33, 28 May 2021

Crystal Palace’s pursuit of Sean Dyche as their next manager is being held up by the huge expense of the proposed deal, which, in addition to the £3million in compensation due to Burnley, could end up costing them £7m-a-year in wages and salary.

Dyche’s contract at Burnley included a £3m survival bonus for keeping the club in the Premier League and he would expect the same deal at Palace, which would take the potential cost of a three-year contract at Selhurst Park above £20m.

Palace are considering other options as a result and will have a close eye on Saturday’s Championship play-off final between Swansea and Brentford, as the Welsh club’s manager Steve Cooper is another contender.

Frank Lampard and Chris Wilder are also on Palace’s shortlist, which would be more straightforward appointments as both are available after leaving Chelsea and Sheffield United respectively earlier in the season.

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sat May 29, 2021 4:09 am

Good post. I shall sleep soundly now.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7201 times

Post by Quicknick » Sat May 29, 2021 6:09 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:11 am
some interesting numbers in the Mail as to Dyche's contract - pretty sure this is very different to what has been previously reported about his deal

AHEAD OF THE GAME: Sean Dyche's switch from Burnley to Crystal Palace hits hitch over £20m compensation bill needed to prise manager away

Crystal Palace’s pursuit of Sean Dyche as their next manager is being held up by the huge expense of the proposed deal, which, in addition to the £3million in compensation due to Burnley, could end up costing them £7m-a-year in wages and salary.

Dyche’s contract at Burnley included a £3m survival bonus for keeping the club in the Premier League and he would expect the same deal at Palace, which would take the potential cost of a three-year contract at Selhurst Park above £20m.

Palace are considering other options as a result and will have a close eye on Saturday’s Championship play-off final between Swansea and Brentford, as the Welsh club’s manager Steve Cooper is another contender.

Frank Lampard and Chris Wilder are also on Palace’s shortlist, which would be more straightforward appointments as both are available after leaving Chelsea and Sheffield United respectively earlier in the season.
Best post on here. Fingers crossed.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sat May 29, 2021 6:25 am

Looks like the previous Board did learn for the debacle surrounding Owen Coyle’s sideways move to Bolton :lol:

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Sat May 29, 2021 6:29 am

Perhaps those figures will convince the ones who are always asking what happened to the 500million Premier league money that a substantial part of it has gone out as wages and bonuses to players and staff!

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat May 29, 2021 6:44 am

Chester Perry wrote:

Don't known if I misread this but it appears misleading not least because within the headlines it refers to £20m compensation but then says the compensation due to Burnley would be £3m which sounds right given his current contract.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sat May 29, 2021 6:59 am

Chester Perry wrote:

I thought that it was common knowledge that SD gets a 3m bonus for stopping up ?

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat May 29, 2021 7:07 am

Worrying that it’s now hitting papers rather than dubious websites?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11060 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat May 29, 2021 7:12 am

Volvoclaret wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:00 pm
Owen Coyle ?
This user liked this post: Volvoclaret

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Post by beddie » Sat May 29, 2021 7:22 am

Would that amount really stop them getting him if he’s there top target, I’m not sure it would. I certainly don’t want him to leave but on the flip side it feels wrong for him not to be given the opportunity if it’s something he really wants. I certainly wouldn’t want an unhappy Manager.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sat May 29, 2021 7:25 am

jedi_master wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 7:07 am
Worrying that it’s now hitting papers rather than dubious websites?
I think Nixon has done a piece on it before, that's where i saw it.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Sat May 29, 2021 7:30 am

Just think what we could do with that 7 million off the wage bill though

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat May 29, 2021 7:50 am

Local cricketer wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 7:30 am
Just think what we could do with that 7 million off the wage bill though
We'd struggle without a manager - false economy :D

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:46 am

jtv wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:29 am
Perhaps those figures will convince the ones who are always asking what happened to the 500million Premier league money that a substantial part of it has gone out as wages and bonuses to players and staff!
Doubt it the moaners will still be asking why we're not spending £20/30m on player x or y, not understanding that if you sign said player at such a fee he will command a large salary and all the other additional costs being in the PL entails.

Hence why we could do with getting the wage bill down, Brady off the books in a couple of months is a start, as is Gibson going to Norwich, but of course we'll somehow need to source replacements well trying to run a tight ship, it's not easy overseeing a PL club with all the money floating around in the modern era.

Turning to the topic at hand Sean's contract, he is probably the one person we can ill afford to lose, players we can replace not easily but it can be done, finding a replacement for SD is another matter entirely, therefore if he's looking for a salary increase we should stretch the budget as much as we can to keep him happy.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat May 29, 2021 10:06 am

If he goes he goes, somebody posted earlier that change can be a good thing, who knows a more fluent style of play with a better resourced manager might actually be what ALK want to promote our brand.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat May 29, 2021 10:08 am

bfcjg wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:06 am
If he goes he goes, somebody posted earlier that change can be a good thing, who knows a more fluent style of play with a better resourced manager might actually be what ALK want to promote our brand.
That would contradict was Pace has said about Dyche.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat May 29, 2021 10:14 am

DCWat wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:08 am
That would contradict was Pace has said about Dyche.
I agree it would, however Pace is just the front man, one thing is for sure though it's risky attempting to take on the Americans at hardball if that's the aim of Dyche and his advisors .

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by Selby Claret » Sat May 29, 2021 10:48 am

Howes available....

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Sat May 29, 2021 10:58 am

If SD stays I only want it to be because this is where he really wants to be. We have seen the sulky side of him and no thanks, we do not need anyone doing us a favour. There are other managers out there who would come in with enthusiasm and knowledge and ALK will have a list.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Sat May 29, 2021 11:04 am

Enthusiasm is hardly a key skill is it? Otherwise we’d just appoint a Labrador as assistant manager.

Don’t under estimate the impact this manager has had, and just how difficult it will be to go forward, or even stand still when he leaves.
These 3 users liked this post: SalouClaret Falcon Bosscat

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Sat May 29, 2021 11:14 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:04 am
Enthusiasm is hardly a key skill is it? Otherwise we’d just appoint a Labrador as assistant manager.

Don’t under estimate the impact this manager has had, and just how difficult it will be to go forward, or even stand still when he leaves.

Spot on.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat May 29, 2021 11:14 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:04 am
That'd be great. Make a good ball boy, probably.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat May 29, 2021 11:20 am

I’m sure a Labrador could hold that piece of paper Woan has that says:-

Striker > Striker 85 mins

Winger > Winger 89 mins

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Sat May 29, 2021 11:21 am

I reckon the Labrador should be given a chance to be honest.

We already have great pedigree for our dogged determination in hounding defences when let off the leash.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 WiscoClaret

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat May 29, 2021 11:24 am

It should be a whippet, not a labrador.

Northern club, needs to fit in with the clichés

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat May 29, 2021 11:32 am

COBBLE wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:58 am
If SD stays I only want it to be because this is where he really wants to be. We have seen the sulky side of him and no thanks, we do not need anyone doing us a favour. There are other managers out there who would come in with enthusiasm and knowledge and ALK will have a list.
I suspect you, like many others, will be in for a nasty shock if you think it's straightforward to replicate what we currently have.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1801 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat May 29, 2021 11:56 am

If Dyche had a 3M PL 'survival bonus' it's no wonder we're sh1te in the cups.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6967 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat May 29, 2021 12:11 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:56 am
If Dyche had a 3M PL 'survival bonus' it's no wonder we're sh1te in the cups.
It may have something to do with the club having a couple of hundred million staying up bonus.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat May 29, 2021 1:12 pm

You'd have thought that if Crystal palace were serious about appointing SD then they would have made a formal approach to BFC to speak to him. Considering they haven't done so yet means they aren't too bothered at the moment.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat May 29, 2021 1:18 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 1:12 pm
You'd have thought that if Crystal palace were serious about appointing SD then they would have made a formal approach to BFC to speak to him. Considering they haven't done so yet means they aren't too bothered at the moment.
Palace's lack of funds is a bit of a handicap.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32549 times
Has Liked: 5281 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 29, 2021 1:25 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 1:12 pm
How do you know they have or haven’t?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat May 29, 2021 4:30 pm

Can't see them going for the Swansea manager after today
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony WiscoClaret

jtv

Post by jtv » Sat May 29, 2021 4:58 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:30 pm
Can't see them going for the Swansea manager after today
Why?

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by Woonderbah » Sat May 29, 2021 5:08 pm

Surprised no-one's taking a look at the Barnsley manager.. just missed out but he's had a great season taking them from threatened relegation to the play-offs

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat May 29, 2021 5:13 pm

jtv wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:58 pm
Why?
really ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Changed his tactics, got it horribly wrong. Swansea were diabolical, offered nothing at all.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Sat May 29, 2021 5:18 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:13 pm

Changed his tactics, got it horribly wrong. Swansea were diabolical, offered nothing at all.
Pretty sure Palace would’ve done their homework on Cooper. One poor game wouldn’t change anything. Swansea have had a good season.

jtv

Post by jtv » Sat May 29, 2021 5:19 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:13 pm

I didn't watch the game so it was a genuine question :) Thanks for filling me in
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat May 29, 2021 5:22 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:18 pm
Pretty sure Palace would’ve done their homework on Cooper. One poor game wouldn’t change anything. Swansea have had a good season.
I'm sure they have, probably noticed how many last minute goals they conceded all season and then in the biggest game he royally screwed his side. I get what you are saying but I'd be amazed if they pursue him - I hope they do !