Why the delay with Sean's new deal?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Longsidebogs
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Re: Why the delay with Sean's new deal?

Post by Longsidebogs » Sun May 30, 2021 10:25 pm

He either signs a new deal or he doesn’t. He’s not all that despite what many on here think. Nobody is bigger than the club. He can stay or go for me, but whichever it is to be, it needs to be soon!

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sun May 30, 2021 10:42 pm

It would be far better for all concerned if they just gave their wretched job to Eddie Howe rather than nicking someone else’s manager. Eddie is a free agent and is probably looking for a job. Sean hopefully isn’t.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun May 30, 2021 11:18 pm

Firthy wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 8:33 am
Will be interesting to see just how much SD values loyalty now that Palace are apparently after him.

TBH I've lost a lot of my interest in the comings and goings of players and managers with the amount of money in fees and wages that they get paid these days. No manager or player in the Prmeier League will be poor could probably live the rest of their life of the money they earn. I will always be a Burnley supporter no matter which division we're in and just try to enjoy watching the matches which are televised although some are more enjoyable than other (Wolves v Leeds for example)

I know from a football purists point of view that they won't agree with me but I have far more interest in watching the Brentford v Swansea match today than City v Chelsea final. The football might not be as good but the effort and need to win will compensate for that.

I used to enjoy watching English teams like Forest and Liverpool in Europe in the 80's because they were made of mostly British players. I have no interest in watching British teams made up of almost entirely of

foreign players but I have just realised I've digressed from the topic so ignore my ravings :)

sadly, whilst your points are valid, swansea and brentford are looking for ways to improve finances too. They have savvy businessmen looking to turn every marketing ploy into a success. There is no purity . never has been, never will be. some clubs are just further down the pecking order, but they are not doing a thing to win over fans by doing the right thing, they just havent cut the right deal as yet.

Hopefull SD will stay but if he doesn't I won't lose any sleep over it, I just hope we'd bring in someone with the same ethics.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun May 30, 2021 11:21 pm

sadly, whilst your points are valid, swansea and brentford are looking for ways to improve finances too. They have savvy businessmen looking to turn every marketing ploy into a success. There is no purity . never has been, never will be. some clubs are just further down the pecking order, but they are not doing a thing to win over fans by doing the right thing, they just havent cut the right deal as yet.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun May 30, 2021 11:24 pm

Longsidebogs wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:25 pm
He either signs a new deal or he doesn’t. He’s not all that despite what many on here think. Nobody is bigger than the club. He can stay or go for me, but whichever it is to be, it needs to be soon!
Which manager are you on about, cos it can't be Dyche..
This user liked this post: Quicknick

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Mon May 31, 2021 12:25 am

warksclaret wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:02 am
Does'nt SD have an early holiday the minute the season has ended. I think he hinted at this in his post Sheff Utd interview
I’m pretty sure the manager and his entire squad go on holiday the minute Premier League survival
Is secured.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon May 31, 2021 2:05 am

scouseclaret wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:25 am
I’m pretty sure the manager and his entire squad go on holiday the minute Premier League survival
Is secured.
I think the holiday pretty much started after the Fulham game in a non literal sense it was just going thru the motions after, there might as well packed the suncream up & buggered off then.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Mon May 31, 2021 8:17 am

Am I right in thinking that the compensation is lower now than it was at the start of his contract? Something like 3m per year of his remaining contract?

According to reports Palace have baulked at the deal Sean has at Burnley which it says is 4m a year salary plus a 3m bonus for staying up. That's a fantastic salary but at 3 to 9 million of compensation you're talking a package of 24 to 30m.

To put this into context Dyche's contract is worth more than the salaries that Lampard had at Chelsea (5.5M) or Arteta at Arsenal (5m). Solskjaer is reportedly getting 7.5m a year at Manchester United. I'm sure the others have bonuses too but those with bigger salaries are more likely to get bonuses for Europe or Champions league. 7m a year would be above average in the Premier League but well below the likes of Pep (20m) and Klopp (15m).

If Sean signs a new contract then surely that makes him even less attractive to other clubs because nobody budgets that much money for a manager. Once again it seems that Mike Garlick had found an optimum way of getting what he wanted, keeping Dyche happy but making it very unlikely that he'd be an attractive option for any club who'd be interested in him.

It'll be interesting to see if Sean tries to negotiate down his compensation clause.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon May 31, 2021 8:41 am

dibraidio wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:17 am
...According to reports Palace have baulked at the deal Sean has at Burnley which it says is 4m a year salary plus a 3m bonus for staying up. That's a fantastic salary...To put this into context Dyche's contract is worth more than the salaries that Lampard had at Chelsea (5.5M) or Arteta at Arsenal (5m). Solskjaer is reportedly getting 7.5m a year at Manchester United. I'm sure the others have bonuses too but those with bigger salaries are more likely to get bonuses for Europe or Champions league. 7m a year would be above average in the Premier League but well below the likes of Pep (20m) and Klopp (15m)...
I recall that when SD signed his current 'long term' contract rather than the succession of annual ones that he had been working under, it was suggested that he was one of the top paid managers in the EPL and even then I thought it showed good 'business sense' from both SD and the Board:
It was just as/after we'd got the top-7 finish, so Sean's stock and value was as high as it was possibly ever likely to be - he could ask for top dollar! Whilst from the Board's point of view, they'd watched him achieve that result with a squad earning well below average EPL salaries. Bringing even one higher profile/higher paid player into the squad to continue that success wouldn't just cost them his wages, but to maintain coherence they'd also soon need to give the rest of the squad pay rises 'in line' with that star's salary. However, with a Manager who could achieve similar success without that high earning player(s) then you can offer to pay him top dollar, in the knowledge that there's no 'knock-on' effect to other salaries.
This user liked this post: dsr

matucana
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by matucana » Mon May 31, 2021 8:46 am

Awaiting delivery of the matching fountain pen and propelling pencil set to that of his watch. Arrangements being made to set.up a table outside the Royal Dyche in Yorkshire Street for press purposes. Man of style our Sean.