How does this compare to the last time we had a BFC Wembley final interest ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6722 times

How does this compare to the last time we had a BFC Wembley final interest ?

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:43 pm

I am excited and nervous for Sunday, but.....compared to the play off final it is nothing, before that game sleepless nights,100% fixation on the game, tactics who will we play, how will we recover if we lose etc. Also I want more England finals, never want another Burnley play off final as it means we have been relegated.
Regarding the FA cup v Spurs wasn't born however some older Clarets might be able to compare.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3844 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Re: How does this compare to the last time we had a BFC Wembley final interest ?

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:29 pm

I can't say I've ever been nervous about a football match.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4045 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Re: How does this compare to the last time we had a BFC Wembley final interest ?

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:36 pm

I was nervous v Sheff Utd 2009....but the final whistle was pure unabated joy.

Wouldn't have missed it for the world.
But yes, let's hope we don't need to do it again.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:38 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:43 pm
Regarding the FA cup v Spurs wasn't born however some older Clarets might be able to compare.
I was there but was only 10 at the time. Burnley is far, far more important to me though than England. I want England to win, obviously. I’ll be disappointed if Italy win anything other than the National Anthem contest. Burnley losing a big final? I’d be devastated.
This user liked this post: Leisure

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2876 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:42 pm

Not a patch on the nerves I get before Burnley.

Hope they win, but it will not take much getting over if they don’t

KevWebstersBomber
Been Liked: 46 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by KevWebstersBomber » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:50 pm

If I had to pick between England winning on Sunday and Burnley beating Brighton in the first game I’d pick Burnley every time.
These 6 users liked this post: Leisure Stalbansclaret frankinwales NewClaret mill hill claret Burnleylad

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4045 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:09 pm

KevWebstersBomber wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:50 pm
...I’d pick Burnley every time.
Not even a debate for me.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1234 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:21 pm

There is no comparison between the support of a team that has played circa 3000 meaningful games (during your time of interest) with one that has played less than 300.

Basically you support Burnley all year, every day and you get interested in the National team during every other summer and the odd midweek throughout the season.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:34 pm

Yes nervous for the 2009 Play Off final, and right up to the final whistle even though we never looked like losing. I suppose if you've been a Burnley fan for a lengthy time before that, it was understandable.

No characters, boring football and probably an age thing, means I haven't really got into this tournament like I have in the past when watching England. But I'll still be bouncing about if we win it, even if there's no comparison between Burnley at Wembley and England Wembley for cups.

dansch
Been Liked: 35 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by dansch » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:53 pm

I may well detract from the status quo as I'm not from Burnley even though I love them to bits. Gotta say though I'm buzzing for Sunday and what I love about it is how everyone comes together, even those that don't even like football, such as the mrs. Just a proper love in.

From a sorry southerner

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:55 pm

I didn't think we'd get this far, and have predicted our exit every round. Thankfully I was wrong.
I confidently predict an Italian win, hoping that I'm wrong again.
It takes all the pressure away.

dansch
Been Liked: 35 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by dansch » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:57 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:55 pm
I didn't think we'd get this far, and have predicted our exit every round. Thankfully I was wrong.
I confidently predict an Italian win, hoping that I'm wrong again.
It takes all the pressure away.
You'll be wrong again fella don't worry. Drink it in.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:06 am

I love Burnley FC and if it was a choice between success for them and success for England I’d pick Burnley.

However, this is potentially a once in a lifetime moment for many of us, 55 years since the last one, I doubt I’ve 55 more left in me.

I’m unlikely to ever see Burnley win a major trophy so this could be the one!

Burnley and Brighton will come again, I can’t be sure this will.

It will mean to the world to me.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:53 am

KevWebstersBomber wrote:
If I had to pick between England winning on Sunday and Burnley beating Brighton in the first game I’d pick Burnley every time.
Really? I fell out of love with the national team until recently but that's a huge statement, once in a life time England winning a major international trophy or 1 league game against Brighton?

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:35 am

Having been put through the sheer nervous emotional hell of the Orient game, I became immune to it all.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:28 am

I'm looking forward to the final but its nothing like what I felt on the run up to our play off v Sheff United

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:28 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:29 pm
I can't say I've ever been nervous about a football match.
I’ve been so nervous it’s sometimes been difficult to enjoy a game. Football can be very strange.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:39 am

I've really enjoyed the Euro's to my complete surprise ! I'd love England to win on Sunday and I would say in terms of nerves or butterflies it will be similar to the Sheff United game - a big opportunity none of us thought would ever come around again. Nothing will come close to the nerves before and during the Orient game though, we were utterly shite that season !!!

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:12 am

I’ll be no where near as nervous walking up Wembley way tomorrow as I was in 2009.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:25 am

I'll be nervous about tomorrow. In fact I was anxious on Wednesday and it was excruciating to watch at times.

I've never experienced what's about to happen tomorrow so I'm really looking forward to it at the same time.

My priority is certainly Burnley but I don't see I need to choose between supporting Burnley and England, or prove why I support one much more than the other, and I do find it odd favouring Burnley winning one single game over England winning the Euros.

I said before the tournament that I was hoping England would win the tournament to also give the country a huge lift after a tough 18 months.
These 2 users liked this post: tiger76 RVclaret

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:36 am

KevWebstersBomber wrote:
I assume you're Scottish?

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:47 am

No comparison. When the Clarets were in the Play Off Final, winning was everything and the nerves were shredded accordingly.
Tomorrow's game will be interesting and a win would be great but reaching the final is enough for me. FWIW, I think Italy will win comfortably.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:10 am

Absolutely no comparison. I'm always surprised to see people so emotionally invested in England as many fans seem to be.
Looking forward to the game tomorrow but if we lose I won't be devastated and I'm another who would choose Burnley beating Brighton on the opening day.

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:42 am

I flew over from New Zealand to watch the play-off final.

I'll probably catch some of the first half of the Euro final while I'm getting ready for work.
These 2 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret Aclaret

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:44 am

I’m similar to a few above be good to see England win but no comparison to the nervous feelings over Burnley games in the last 30 odd years both promotion and relegation ones!

casualclaret
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by casualclaret » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:38 am

A bit of an odd debate this one. Burnley aren't playing at the moment, so lm getting behind my national team. It's more of an issue during the season with international breaks and meaningless friendlies etc as Burnley has more of an impact on my daily life and wellbeing. Never thought ld see England get to a major final so lm really looking forward to it.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:03 am

I’m excited and Nervous isn’t the right word but something to that affect. Desperately hope England win. And I will be at the game and can’t wait to watch it live, sample the atmosphere and hope for the country England do it.

If they don’t I will be disappointed and there will be plenty of what ifs no doubt.

Not every England fan will agree with me though. But for me Burnley winning at Wembley in 1994 was bigger and more important not to mention 2009.

Burnley come first by a long way. But I still support and want England to win.

I guess my feeling on it comes down to identity. I know what it feels like and means to be from Burnley. What it represents. And how important it is to this small town who but for football would probably have little going for it.
If I had to describe what being English / British meant to me I’d be harder pressed to explain that.

But I desperately hope we win. And Southgate has done an amazing job at getting the entire nation to fall back in love with the national team and even the players.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:11 am

I find the “I’d prefer 3 points against Brighton” comments surprising and a little odd.

Someone said to me earlier that the England getting to the Euros final is more like football should be. It’s essentially who has the best team, not who has the most money to assemble the best team. I think that’s right.

The other thing is, these are moments shared by a nation. We all pretty much want the same thing, that doesn’t happen very often with anything, particularly in sport. It should be embraced and enjoyed.

Come on England!

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:24 am

I was nervous before the Stockport final - we just had to get out of the basement division.

It's club before country for me. Of course, I want us to win, and it will be massive if we did so, but I must admit I'm getting a bit tired of all the hype and the politicians, of all political persuasions, jumping on the winning bandwagon when they were nowhere to be seen at the start of the tournament. Now they can't wait to Tweet a pic of themselves wearing an England shirt or waving a flag.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:32 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:53 am
Really? I fell out of love with the national team until recently but that's a huge statement, once in a life time England winning a major international trophy or 1 league game against Brighton?
Three points for me v Brighton every time. Absolutely no doubt about that. England's run in this competition is no more than a transient distraction during the summer. If Burnley's fortunes ever became a distraction to me then I would know it's time to call it a day.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

colne-claret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:00 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:06 am
I love Burnley FC and if it was a choice between success for them and success for England I’d pick Burnley.

However, this is potentially a once in a lifetime moment for many of us, 55 years since the last one, I doubt I’ve 55 more left in me.

I’m unlikely to ever see Burnley win a major trophy so this could be the one!

Burnley and Brighton will come again, I can’t be sure this will.

It will mean to the world to me.
Completely agree. I think the fact that these tournaments are only played every 4 years makes it even more special. In four years we could see relegation, promotion, Europe at club level. I'd take another season like the last if it meant seeing England will a major final.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:04 am

KevWebstersBomber wrote:
Could not agree more. Would like England to win but wouldn’t swap it for three points for Burnley.

I’m not even remotely nervous and won’t think about it after Sunday evening if we lose, whereas missed chances/bad reffing decisions/mistakes will haunt me all week with Burnley.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:09 am

Hard to compare the two really, they're so different. Burnley is part of your life, social life, family.. England only matters in tournaments and it's more like a fun community thing and I do enjoy it while it's on for what it is. But if we lose tomorrow I'll be over it by the morning. Whereas I'm still gutted we didn't hold on against Sheff Utd in '93 in a 3rd round FA cup game.
These 6 users liked this post: Bosscat Silkyskills1 Steve-Harpers-perm JohnDearyMe bfcjg Stalbansclaret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:22 am

Always Burnley 1st ... 👍

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:08 pm

I can’t compare the two to be honest. Burnley is my club and England is my Country. I want both to win and I’m equally as excited and nervous about tomorrow as I was at the play off final. I did follow England home and away for around 10 years so maybe that’s why.

If it’s Cricket, would you prefer a Lancs win or an England win?
This user liked this post: tiger76

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:20 pm

It’s a lot different for me this time.
I had a lot of my family around me in the Play Off Final and was fortunate to be able to travel to watch the match. We went down in a mini bus and stayed overnight before the game witnessing the enormous passion and pride of the Clarets fans. Everybody seemed expectant and any nerves were settled by one fan in a packed local bar standing up before we left for bed and making a rousing speech that brought the house down. After that the result never seemed in doubt.
This time I will be watching quietly at home with my son. We’ll repeat our Domino’s pizza and Quality Street treat we’ve had before every England game. I’ve really taken to this England team as the competition has gone on and want them to win so much for what they’ve done. It’s probably going to be my last chance of seeing an England team crowned champions

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:29 pm

Some strange comments on this thread, England have a chance to create history tomorrow, and we may never see the national team in a major final again in our lifetimes, and yet several fans think Burnley beating Brighton is more important, If England lose tomorrow the opportunity for greatness may never present itself again, whereas if we lose to Brighton we can rectify that result in the following games.

Regarding our previous Wembley appearances I was nervous as hell before the Stockport game as I'd only ever known BFC as a lower league club, and the Orient game was thankfully the nadir, also the fact that we beat 2 of our rivals in Plymouth and Stockport made victory all the sweeter.

Funnily enough I was super confident about the 2009 PO final, and I didn't even watch it as I was at work, but I knew we'd win so when I caught up with the score on the news headlines I wasn't remotely surprised.

The one BFC game where I've been really nervous bizarrely was the 98 relegation clash with Plymouth, we were a hair's breath from falling back to the 4th tier again, and all our hard work in the early 90's was at risk of being for nothing, I managed to keep up to date with the score on Teletext. and thankfully Andy Cooke came up trumps that day.

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:58 pm

I wasn’t nervous at all against Sheffield Utd I knew as soon as we were in the playoffs we would win them. I don’t know why I just had a feeling that we would be too good in one off games for the other teams after our heroics in the cup that season.

Likewise I am not nervous about tomorrow’s game, Italy and England have been the stand out teams in the tournament and it’s going to be close but with the pace we have in and around Kane I think we could cause them a lot of problems. I think we will win with the odd goal.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:06 pm

A Play Off final win for our club has a direct impact on the follwing season(s). An England win in Sunday doesn’t. If’s an unfair comparison.

I’d only swap an England win tomorrow for either a Premier League Title or Champions League Trophy.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:09 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:29 pm
Some strange comments on this thread, England have a chance to create history tomorrow, and we may never see the national team in a major final again in our lifetimes, and yet several fans think Burnley beating Brighton is more important, If England lose tomorrow the opportunity for greatness may never present itself again, whereas if we lose to Brighton we can rectify that result in the following games.
Yeah, but Burnley's success is my thing. England winning tomorrow will be nice, but I wasn't there for the qualifiers, I did't sit though the turgid friendlies or the Nation's League stuff. Its nice to be part of sporting history though with my family... while at the same time, I feel kind of privileged to have experienced a global pandemic in way. In a historical context.

But, I think about Burnley Football Club everyday and I've been there through the bleaker times. With England's success though, the whole country jumps on the bandwagon (myself included, in some respects). People who don't like football suddenly have an opinion... they have an opinion on how football should be presented.

I read a headline yesterday that fans shouldn't be boo-ing. Who are these people? Booing is part of the game, yes some people take it too far, but its basically pantomime - goodies vs baddies - but the hangers-on want to make it political. Then there is the whole nationalism ********. Suddenly people are 'proud to be English' and so on. What a load of shite and the myths that all this is bringing the 'country together'.

I saw people on Facebook saying they 'shed a tear' when England won - they'd probably never watched a football match before - get a life, or a death (whatever suits).

Oh, and **** off with your JJB Sports flags handing out your windows as well. Yeah, I've changed my mind - I hope the Italians give England a footballing lesson tomorrow just to see the gammon cry their crocodile tears...
This user liked this post: KLClaret

Yearofthefox
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Yearofthefox » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:35 pm

Some would rather take a win over Brighton because Burnley means so much more.

I'll watch tomorrow but I couldn't care less if England win or lose.

Some just have to accept other football fans just don't really care for international football...but I'm pleased for the one's who do what a time it's been for those fan's.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:00 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:09 pm
Yeah, but Burnley's success is my thing. England winning tomorrow will be nice, but I wasn't there for the qualifiers, I did't sit though the turgid friendlies or the Nation's League stuff. Its nice to be part of sporting history though with my family... while at the same time, I feel kind of privileged to have experienced a global pandemic in way. In a historical context.

But, I think about Burnley Football Club everyday and I've been there through the bleaker times. With England's success though, the whole country jumps on the bandwagon (myself included, in some respects). People who don't like football suddenly have an opinion... they have an opinion on how football should be presented.

I read a headline yesterday that fans shouldn't be boo-ing. Who are these people? Booing is part of the game, yes some people take it too far, but its basically pantomime - goodies vs baddies - but the hangers-on want to make it political. Then there is the whole nationalism ********. Suddenly people are 'proud to be English' and so on. What a load of shite and the myths that all this is bringing the 'country together'.

I saw people on Facebook saying they 'shed a tear' when England won - they'd probably never watched a football match before - get a life, or a death (whatever suits).

Oh, and **** off with your JJB Sports flags handing out your windows as well. Yeah, I've changed my mind - I hope the Italians give England a footballing lesson tomorrow just to see the gammon cry their crocodile tears...
I get your points Burnley is the bread & butter, and if we lose this board can be a nightmare for a day or two,

Whereas England is a passing interest which generally only rears it's head at major tournaments.

I wouldn't pay much heed to the middle-class luvvies who've suddenly developed an interest in footy, your phrase bandwagon jumpers is correct, and we're as guilty as everyone else, however maybe many people haven't gotten behind the national team as we've been pretty average for generations now.

It would be nice for this England squad to enjoy success as they seem a rounded bunch of lads, and a victory tomorrow would cement their place in history.

Maybe it's different for me living in Scotland, but I hope England win tomorrow just to wind up all the bitter Scots up here.

On the booing I would never boo any anthems, but once the whistle blows the gloves are off and anything goes within reason obviously.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:08 pm
I can’t compare the two to be honest. Burnley is my club and England is my Country. I want both to win and I’m equally as excited and nervous about tomorrow as I was at the play off final. I did follow England home and away for around 10 years so maybe that’s why.

If it’s Cricket, would you prefer a Lancs win or an England win?
Precisely! it doesn't have to be a binary choice of one or the other, you can still support Burnley and yet want England to do well surely.

Equally I want Lancs to win, but also England to be successful.

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 854 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:26 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:29 pm

Regarding our previous Wembley appearances I was nervous as hell before the Stockport game as I'd only ever known BFC as a lower league club, and the Orient game was thankfully the nadir, also the fact that we beat 2 of our rivals in Plymouth and Stockport made victory all the sweeter.

Funnily enough I was super confident about the 2009 PO final, and I didn't even watch it as I was at work, but I knew we'd win so when I caught up with the score on the news headlines I wasn't remotely surprised.

The one BFC game where I've been really nervous bizarrely was the 98 relegation clash with Plymouth, we were a hair's breath from falling back to the 4th tier again, and all our hard work in the early 90's was at risk of being for nothing, I managed to keep up to date with the score on Teletext. and thankfully Andy Cooke came up trumps that day.
Completely agree. A generation has never seen this and may not for another generation. You can watch Burnley draw with Brighton twice a year.

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:02 am

I am more nervous now than I was before play off final in 2009. I was more nervous then before 2nd leg v Reading as I had doubts in my mind that we would be Sheff Utd that day due to our performances against them in the normal season.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1234 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:13 am

When I was in Istanbul watching Burnley it was a dream come true (and one of the worst games of football I’ve seen us play tbh). When I was in Germany in 2006 watching England play Sweden (the only time I’ve seen England play live) it was a nice enjoyable experience and a great game of football actually, but it wasn’t a dream come true. That’s basically the difference for me.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:47 am

2009 was deliciously horrible. I was sober chauffeur back from The Madejski and got into bed about 5:30am. Up for work at 7:30am. And I reckon 2 hours sleep was roughly what I averaged up until the day of the final. I’ll admit to being on the ale from 8:30am that day and well beyond midnight after the game and the emotions were everything - and we won. That meant everything to me. Everything. It consumed me.

Tomorrow is like a bonus game. I actually get more nervous watching my 10-year old son playing on goal for his team than I ever will watching England. Unless he plays for England of course (as if!)

South Africa killed it for me. That squad. That group. I vowed I’d never give a fig about England after that. But give this group their due, they seem humble, eager, together, United and willing to die for the shirt. I never, ever thought I’d say that again. I caught Rice taking to Hurst today on the radio and then booming out Sweet Caroline whilst a press conference took place next door. I couldn’t help but smile.

This squad’s togetherness reminds me a lot of our own. But nobody will ever get me more excited, nervous, gutted, delirious than Burnley.

Good luck England. I’ll be watching and cheering you on.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:59 am

claretburns wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:02 am
I am more nervous now than I was before play off final in 2009. I was more nervous then before 2nd leg v Reading as I had doubts in my mind that we would be Sheff Utd that day due to our performances against them in the normal season.
I was the same. Our performance at Reading, followed by the look on Blackwell's face, plus the ease with which we beat them at The Turf late in the season left me in no doubt that we would win that game.

As for tonight, no nerves at all. I've managed to detach myself emotionally from the England team over the years; if we win I'll be happy but won't be dancing in the streets. On the other hand, if we lose I won't be crying into my beer and kicking lumps out of inanimate objects.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6722 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:15 am

Morning of the Wembley final I was a bag of nerves and couldn't concentrate on anything but the game, today just a normal day with added excitement, nerves will kick in if we are winning with 10 minutes to go.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:16 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:09 pm

Yes, but Burnley’s success doesn’t hinge on the first match of the season no matter who it is.