Your review of BFC Transfer business Summer 2021

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Your review of BFC Transfer business Summer 2021

Post by Darthlaw » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:41 am

We've replaced BPF with a better quality backup, Brady with (hopefully) a much higher standard of player who can impact the first team and put a better apprentice for Tarks in place, in Collins, although he himself has replaced arguably both Gibson and Dunne. Lennon returns, arguably bringing us back to the status quo we had in 2019/20, for wingers. Finally, Roberts looks a great acquisition, ready to step up to challenge Lowton for a spot.

But I can't help feeling we needed some better quality signings in the mould of Collins and Lowton, ready to step into the foray next year.

2022 Summer is already looking like a huge rebuild, with Cork, Tarks, Mee, Stephens, Lennon, Jay, Pieters, Bardsley, Vyds all out of contract next summer. If we continue at this recruitment rate we're going to be awfully thin on the ground soon enough. Granted, we won't want all of the players to renew but at least two in Mee and Pieters should be retained, with Mee being of critical importance. Not forgetting the slight issue of Mr Dyche being out of contract

That's before you take into account that McNeil is likely to be on his way next summer, too.

We've done well and refined an already thin squad for me and by no means is it a disaster but the above doesn't have me singing to the heavens just yet.

7/10 Window for me.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Re: Your review of BFC Transfer business Summer 2021

Post by CleggHall » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:49 am

A fair assessment Darth, not losing Tarkowski is the most important bit of business.
These 3 users liked this post: whiffa k90bfc Stayingup

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:28 am

Solid window. Better than I expected than this time last week! Urgent gaps mostly plugged although I'd have gone all out for another central/attacking midfielder.

7.5/10

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:30 am

It’s a project, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Need a midfielder and a centre forward but they cost money so will probably need another loan taking out
This user liked this post: KateR

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:35 am

8/10, just missing the number 10.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:39 am

I was starting to worry slightly as the only major incoming wouldn’t normally play unless Tarks or Mee were out, but the last few days have been better. My judgment is it could have been better but it wasn’t bad. Everton and the Gooners coming up. Everton is usually not too bad a fixture for us and Arsenal are there for the taking at the moment (depending on their new signings).
Early days but still confident.

Dinks
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 127 times

Post by Dinks » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:41 am

I think it's a case of wait and see,ask the question again in January.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:43 am

Apparently 30 million spent but on longer contracts presumably to delay the re-payment. Strikes me as just another kind of debt that the new owners are saddling the club with. We'll have gone from 40 odd million cash in the bank to zero plus a significant amount of debt that will have to be repaid. I have no doubt that the new owners have plans in place for this but it's clearly a big change in how the club is run and was very much to be expected from American "Investors".

Good to have Tarkowski and Bardsley's replacements in the building.

The board have demonstrated their ambition and the direction they want to take with the signing of Cornet. It'll take time more than one window for them to get to where they want to be but I'm sure they're more than a little frustrated that we didn't get another attacking player through the door after being linked to so many.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:48 am

In terms of actual transfer outlay - how much has actually been spent, net though. Back of an envelope, admittedly - but I suggest:

Collins - mostly covered by a combo of Gibson and Dunne

Roberts - probably mostly covered by Benson

Hennessey - free

Lennon - free

That leaves Cornet at circa £13M as the truly incremental signing this summer.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:51 am

Darthlaw wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:41 am

2022 Summer is already looking like a huge rebuild, with Cork, Tarks, Mee, Stephens, Lennon, Jay, Pieters, Bardsley, Vyds all out of contract next summer.
Out of that lot, the rebuild job as you put it will largely be conditional on who we want to retain from that group in the main though. Tarky obviously stands out as probably off, but that also depends on what his viable options are. I still don't think it is 100% done that he leaves.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:57 am

Although its not entirely what I'd hoped for (two more would have been ideal: striker and CM), we can at least see that the board are giving it a good shot this time, which is at least a vast improvement on the Garlick era.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:58 am

As far as previous recent transfer windows have been, this was pretty good. I'd still be looking at January for a CM, and another winger and a striker in one of the next 2 windows though

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:00 am

7 out of 10 for me.

A point each for keeping McNeil, Tarky and Pope.

A point for Roberts, 2 for Cornet, one for Collins and one for Hennessey.

Unfortunately I have to take one away for bringing back Lennon and not getting one of the older strikers off the pay roll. The squad looks pretty full now and the u23s will go back to youth football.

But 7 is good for us, and it could have been higher if the players were guaranteed starters.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:02 am

It's a decent window. One player who ought to improve the first eleven immediately, and depth and succession planning in a couple of areas, plus a couple of stop gaps in Lennon and Hennesey.

That's fine. But we're still a bit short on technical quality in midfield/up front, particularly given the decline of Rodriguez and indifferent form of Cork. And the age of our midfielders and strikers, plus the players who are out of contract next summer and the potential for us to lose McNeil and/or Pope for fees, means we'll need better windows over the next 18 months if we're to complete a rebuilding job. So in many ways, the success or otherwise of this window depends on whether Vydra, Mee or even Tarkowski can be persuaded to re-sign. Otherwise, the fact we haven't done more to wheel-and-deal with at least a couple of those players to avoid them walking for free might yet come back to haunt us.

So overall a 7/10.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:03 am

Darthlaw wrote:
We've replaced BPF with a better quality backup, Brady with (hopefully) a much higher standard of player who can impact the first team and put a better apprentice for Tarks in place, in Collins, although he himself has replaced arguably both Gibson and Dunne. Lennon returns, arguably bringing us back to the status quo we had in 2019/20, for wingers. Finally, Roberts looks a great acquisition, ready to step up to challenge Lowton for a spot.

But I can't help feeling we needed some better quality signings in the mould of Collins and Lowton, ready to step into the foray next year.

2022 Summer is already looking like a huge rebuild, with Cork, Tarks, Mee, Stephens, Lennon, Jay, Pieters, Bardsley, Vyds all out of contract next summer. If we continue at this recruitment rate we're going to be awfully thin on the ground soon enough. Granted, we won't want all of the players to renew but at least two in Mee and Pieters should be retained, with Mee being of critical importance. Not forgetting the slight issue of Mr Dyche being out of contract

That's before you take into account that McNeil is likely to be on his way next summer, too.

We've done well and refined an already thin squad for me and by no means is it a disaster but the above doesn't have me singing to the heavens just yet.

7/10 Window for me.
A fair summary Darthlaw, we have definitely improved our thin squad, and also got a couple of high wage earners off the books in Brady & Gibson, who did little to justify their hefty pay packets.

I do agree next summer we'll face the prospect of needing to recruit 5/6 genuine 1st team starters.

Of the OOC players, I'd happily release Bardsley, Jay Rod, Lennon & Stephens, agree we need to keep Ben Mee, it would be fabulous if Tarks would commit his long term future to Burnley, but the reality is he'll probably leave for pastures new, I'm undecided on Cork, Pieters & Vydra, if we can get younger replacements for all 3 then I wouldn't be too fussed if they were let go, and of course there's always the possibility that the players themselves will turn down any new deals that we offered.

CM is the one area we still look light in, and it's an area we've not improved in this window, despite some decent arrivals, Brownhill may well be Cork's long term replacement, but we'll still need at least 1 other CM, and if JC does decide to leave, or isn't offered a new deal we'll probably need 2, as assuming Dale Stephens is going, that would leave us with only Brownhill & Westwood as CM options.

Dwight I can see going for good money next summer, and hopefully his fee will allow us to invest in 2/3 quality first team ready additions, maybe a couple of CM'S and perhaps another striker to ease the burden on Wood.

I'm reasonably relaxed on SD renewing now, last year I wasn't so sure he'd stay, but now the new owners have come in, and crucially backed him in the market that should be enough to convince him to stick around, plus where is he going to go, there isn't an obvious vacancy that would be attractive to him that I can see.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:03 am

Darthlaw wrote:

From your list I can't see us having much difficulty in extending/renewing the contracts of Cork, Stephens, Lennon, Jay, Pieters, or Bardsley - assuming that we choose to - simply because I can't see another club at this level being interested enough in them to try to poach them from us and to be honest Vydra neither, unless he consistently plays well and - the biggy - manages to score some goals as well as 'assisting' in them during this season. Mee might possibly be of interest to a club of similar standing to ourselves, but I suspect we could and would make it worth his while to stay with BFC with a better re-signing bonus to offset any increased salary offers from elsewhere.

JT might well go for a few quid in January if someone else desperately needs a centre back by then and that's also when I fear most for Dwight and Nick Pope to leave too, especially if the Cornet purchase works out well; but if JT's still here come next summer, I do wonder if he too might be minded to re-signed in exchange for a financial bonus for doing so; I'm not convinced that the 'big' clubs are as keen on him as is often suggested.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:06 am

As alluded to above and, paraphrasing a line from a John West Ad

"Keeping our best... we've passed the test" ;)

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1040 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:09 am

Evolution not revolution for me and let's not forget thanks to our previous incumbents we are well behind the curve in that respect. It was never going to be a case of bringing in nearly 50% of a new starting 11 and rightly so imo.
At the start of the window there were a number of people who said we needed 5 or more in, well we got them and not only that we got three at a very good age too.

A solid 8/10 for me and a well done
These 2 users liked this post: tiger76 summitclaret

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:21 am

The biggest problem for Burnley has been scoring enough goals, if they could have added to their opener in the last two home games probably they would be sitting on six points by now.

Out of all the signings, only Cornet seems to address this issue, so we are hanging a lot of our hopes on this lad. Let's hope he delivers.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2701 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:23 am

Happy.

No suggestions of asset stripping in this window at least. Retention of Wood/McNeil/Tark/Pope was massive.

Pleased with Collins and Roberts in particular.
The back 5 now has a real Prem look to it.

Hopefully Cornet will have a knock on effect on the rest of the midfield..fingers crossed he'll be a genuine handful and divert attention from McNeil. Maybe there will be a positive impact on service to the front men.. Fingers crossed.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:29 am

Quite happy with it.
We are playing catch up from a number of really poor transfer windows so I wasn’t expecting us to fix everything straight away.
Some, on paper, good young players brought it and we’ve kept all our established stars.
Up to Dyche now to get the best out of them.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6912 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:32 am

A solid 7.5 the issue of a proper playmaker in midfield would have got us to 9.5 however a loan might address this ?

leightonjameslegend
Been Liked: 104 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by leightonjameslegend » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:38 am

9/10 for me.
The owners have delivered the best window in years!
Of course, it would have been nice to get a big name in like Barkley but as others have said we are playing catch up.

Stronger backup keeper, Collins captain at 19 years old, and Tarks replacement or perhaps in a back 3 with a change of formation.

Robert's second-most assists in the Championship last season, full of running and creativity, can play RM and long-term RB replacement, and then Cornet something completely different who will hopefully push the team on and give defenses something different to think about other than Mcneil. Add in Lennon who knows our framework and we have real depth.

But the overwhelming feeling is we can finally change things up and be a lot less predictable.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:39 am

Another 7/10 here

Its only a start, but it gives us a viable squad that can actually deal with an average amount of injuries

But we need something similar in Jan (which is completely reliant on where we are in the league I suspect)

Essentially we need a couple of years of staying in the premier league to complete this, but at least we know for sure that both the manager and the board are aligned on this.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:42 am

I was pleased to see players like Collins, Roberts and Cornet coming in, they appear to have the right mentality and pedigree and are at the right age to progress for the immediate future. Hennessy was needed in case Pope gets injured. Lennon, I’m sorry, but it’s a pointless signing, but if Dyche wants him, that’s fair enough. My biggest disappointment is our failure to strengthen our midfield with someone who could go straight into the starting eleven to improve what, in my opinion, is by far our weakest area. Excellent to see that our new Board have shown some skill and knowledge in supporting our manager. 7/10.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:48 am

8/10 for me. With the last 6 or so windows being tops 5/10 - with brownhill seemingly our only big signing for years.

Cornet is a proper signing. A show of intent and progression from the new owners. Roberts seems a good buy and will challenge lowton and eventually replace him. Collins looks an obvious Tarks replacement and should become a very accomplished centre back. What is clearly notable about these signings is the obvious value and potential for resale. Out of these 3, you’d bet that 1 at least will eventually be worth much more.Lennon and Hennessey are back ups but good ones.

At the start of the window, striker and cm were are best positions in terms of depth and quality, with the wings being worst. Now, we have brilliant wing options, with McNeil, Cornet, Dwight, Lennon, Roberts can play there and Dwight. If we had windows like that since 2018 we’d be very strong by now, which is what I presume the owners vision for the future is.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:02 pm

8/10, we haven't spent much money net but we've done smart business, new young winger and right back, 2 of the 4 areas I wanted to see strengthened at the start of the window. CM and ST to hopefully be next priority, brick by brick I can see we're building a good side. I just hope we can scrape through this season with the 3 questionable forwards hopefully contributing enough because we know goals are guaranteed with Wood. Barkley behind Wood would've turned us into a much better side but it wasn't to be, a little disappointing it didn't materialize in the end.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6969 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:10 pm

30/40 for me.

Don’t think we could have asked for more but in a completely ideal world we would have swapped a striker and added an attacking midfielder. But I think we rectified the glaring holes in the squad with some canny signings. A lot of the success rests on the shoulders of Cornet who I’m not going to pretend I’ve seen a lot of.

The big positive for me which often goes unnoticed is that we retained all of our key players. In years gone by we have lost players of the calibre of Pope, Tarks, McNeil, Wood. The fact that we don’t even need to entertain selling these for anything other than silly money shouldn’t be underestimated. In fact, despite all of the warranted criticism of recent transfer windows this point was ignored by most.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:11 pm

7/10

Went after a better standard of player for first time in a long time in Cornet.

We need to get a starter in centre midfield, can't believe Christie went to championship, shows his ambition level.

If we can get a strong creative midfielder in the Viera mould and a new mobile striker we should be pushing for Europe again.

Couple of big windows left to get them in but a much needed boost for the team this.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:13 pm

7/10, a decent window. CM is a problem with the lack of cover and quality. A No 10 who as pace and a goal or two in him to replace Vydra. Vydra looks like he wants away, Dyche was screaming at him to put pressure on the Leeds CHs as he was just strolling

9thMay1987
Been Liked: 70 times

Post by 9thMay1987 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:14 pm

With Roberts added I would like us to try 3,5 3 , use Collins in a back 3, wingbacks Roberts and Taylor, 2 defensive midfielders Brownhill and Westwood with McNeil ,who is really a midfielder , operating much more central, Corney and JGM (need an upgrade) out wide and Wood central striker.

I think we need to move away from 4,4,2 where unfortunaley Barnes, J Rod and Vidra are not quuite good enough and consider Collins now and use Roberts as a wingback where I believe he is more effective.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:16 pm

9thMay1987 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:14 pm
With Roberts added I would like us to try 3,5 3 , use Collins in a back 3, wingbacks Roberts and Taylor, 2 defensive midfielders Brownhill and Westwood with McNeil ,who is really a midfielder , operating much more central, Corney and JGM (need an upgrade) out wide and Wood central striker.

I think we need to move away from 4,4,2 where unfortunaley Barnes, J Rod and Vidra are not quuite good enough and consider Collins now and use Roberts as a wingback where I believe he is more effective.
3-5-3 would guarantee us more success. I like it.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2017 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:25 pm

Given the number of contracts under review this season I expect a busier January window than normal too, making less panic for next summer. This marks a good start but as Pace admitted, one window was never going to be a fix all. It marks a good solid building block without disturbing the group, which itself was vital. It is not mission accomplished but a hell of a start.

Given that squad togetherness is essential I think it is about as much as the club should have been doing this window, another midfielder would have been great, but given that ended largely beyond Burnley’s control I am happy to wait until January for the playmaker.

Hennessy especially for me was a master stroke signing; a keeper I have long thought was far better than his career (good as it is) reflects. I’d have laughed out loud for many a year had I been told we were signing Hennessy… we now have him as back up for our England international…. It’s bloody ace being a Claret right now.

For that reason I rate it as a solid 8/10 raising to 9 when Sean signs; something I have little real fear over.

burnley007
Been Liked: 641 times
Has Liked: 674 times

Post by burnley007 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:34 pm

A big plus was that we were clearly aiming for the stars this window, the ownership team will have learnt a lot. I would imagine things will actually happen in January, that are pre planned beforehand.
The level of the signings we have made are generally very good, the players we were linked with were also pretty exciting.
The future looks very bright, just need Dyche to sort his contract out now, then Tarks when he sees his options limited and the level of players we are signing!

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:37 pm

Really good window. A creative midfielder would have been a bonus but all 5 signings give us more strength in depth and, crucially, more options. Hopefully they get us back on the evolutionary path after it stalled in recent times. It doesn't need to be a big rebuild next summer either, just need to keep things moving.

Wouldn't surprise me if we can get Tarkowski to sign a new contract depending on how well we do this season. He's pretty settled up here.

s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:52 pm

10/10 - Making into a decent championship squad and hopefully next season play offs at the very least

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:54 pm

Looking at formations is interesting. Good to hear Roberts runs (a lot!) and we we could line up something like this in 343.

Pope
Collins Tarks Mee
Roberts Brownhill Westwood Taylor
Cornet Wood McNeil

Which could potentially give us more going forward and solidarity at the back.

Another option now is obviously to vary the 442 to go 451 which involves midfielders and wingers more in attack. Eg
Pope
Lowton Tarks Mee Taylor
Brownhill Westwood
Cornet Dwight JBG
Wood

What I really notice about the window is it has given us the depth to have options which is nice. We actually have a debate about what our best 11 is now!

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Post by Gordaleman » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:57 pm

All things considered, it's been a very decent window. Keeping Tarks, Pope and McNeil was crucial and we've done that, so top marks there.

Like everyone else, I think we need an attacking central midfielder, and it looks like we tried for a couple, but it takes three for this type of tango. Both clubs, and the player. However, Sean may be set to alleviate this problem by playing Gudders on the left wing and Cornet on the right, with McNeil in the middle. After all, Gudders spent quite a bit of time on the left against both Brighton and Leeds. Maybe that was some sort of trial?

Personally, I'm very happy, mainly because we managed to keep our big three. As usual, time will tell, but I think a lot depends on Cornet. Let's not put him under pressure by giving him a hard times if he doesn't sparkle straight away.

C'mon you PL Clarets.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:57 pm

Generally pretty damn good really.

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:00 pm

We do have a number 10 in the ranks in Vydra.

I can guarantee you that is his best position and i would like us to at least give him a few games there to really get going, i think it could surprise a few people Dyche included. Wood as the lone front man. Five in midfield Cornet on the right, Mcneil on the left, we would get a lot of joy with that im sure.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:05 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:52 pm
10/10 - Making into a decent championship squad and hopefully next season play offs at the very least
you still crying ? :D :D
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Burnley87
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Burnley87 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:21 pm

Biggest positive for me is we are recruiting and planning for the future again.

Centre back to replace Tarks, Fullback to Replace Bardo. It’s important a club like us is forward thinking and not firefighting in the transfer market as realistically good transfer windows will keep us in the league
This user liked this post: KateR

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:25 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:00 pm
We do have a number 10 in the ranks in Vydra.

I can guarantee you that is his best position and i would like us to at least give him a few games there to really get going, i think it could surprise a few people Dyche included. Wood as the lone front man. Five in midfield Cornet on the right, Mcneil on the left, we would get a lot of joy with that im sure.
Vydra doesn’t seem to have many of the qualities that we’d require for a number 10 to me.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:27 pm

8/10

Spent wisely. All three players that we've signed for a fee should be worth more in a couple of years.

Too much change at once could have been risky. Think we've got the balance right. Kept hold of key players whilst adding some quality and competitiveness.

If we emulate this over the next two windows we should be in a very strong position in 12 months.

What's not to like.
Last edited by ArmchairDetective on Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6912 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:27 pm

We keep assuming Tarks might leave, perhaps stabilising in the Prem in the top half and playing more attractive football could make him stay, my worry is that Mee is starting to look less solid and perhaps it could be Collins for him ?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:39 pm

The priority this year is staying up and managing a transition to a new set of players in the meantime. This window will help massively with that.

The list out of contract next year is fine - Mee is likely to sign on again, Tarky has Collins to step in, Cork is aging anyway so we know we need a newbie along the lines of AMN. I can easily see a player like Carvalyo coming in if the new owners are trying to make those moves happen.

I’m a little concerned about Dwight going, as he will. But we have proven we can sign decent wingers at a good price - that is crucial.

I’m also concerned up front, we need either an attacking midfielder to play 4–2-3-1 like many other teams, or a striker to play 4-4-2 who will get 10-15 goals. That would be the priority for January in my mind.

But for this window - 9/10.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1303 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:45 pm

I think keeping Tarkowski, Pope and McNeil was very important and losing any of them could have been disastrous. The acquisitions are all good especially Cornet, the squad had drifted a bit and needed freshening up a bit. like many I would have liked an attacking / creative midfielder but this was maybe too difficult to get over the line with all the others. Maybe this will be covered in January.

But more than decent for me overall.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Post by Gordaleman » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:50 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:27 pm
We keep assuming Tarks might leave, perhaps stabilising in the Prem in the top half and playing more attractive football could make him stay, my worry is that Mee is starting to look less solid and perhaps it could be Collins for him ?
When talking about our Centre Halves, people seem to forget about young Thomas. He looks a real prospect and he's built like a mountain. By the time Tarky leaves, he may be ready to step up?

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:18 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:25 pm
Vydra doesn’t seem to have many of the qualities that we’d require for a number 10 to me.
I would say he probably has the best passing and movement of any of our midfielders at present, i suppose if hes never tried there (wildly succesful as a 10 in the championship) then we'll never know.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:53 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:39 am
but at least we know for sure that both the manager and the board are aligned on this.
You wouldn't think so, reading some of the stuff on here.