Burnley v Middlesbrough - U23 latest

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Re: Burnley v Middlesbrough - U23 latest

Post by Taffy on the wing » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:29 pm

......"is this the right room for an argument"?
This user liked this post: addisclaret

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:29 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:24 pm
I've already told you I know Richardson is an adult and that I was responding to a post stating that we don't publicise the injury status of our young players.

Maybe I am over-thinking it. To be honest I was looking for an open-minded discussion about whether the health status of footballers should be made public knowledge, although it looks like I've chosen the wrong place.
You seem to be ignoring the consent bit. Ìt's easily done. I suspect the younger players would agree to their injury status being made public on the basis it's of interest to supporters. I suspect most normal employees wouldn't consent to their health status being put on a corporate website. That's why it's a strange comparison.

addisclaret
Been Liked: 175 times
Has Liked: 705 times

Post by addisclaret » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:29 pm
I've told you once.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Not sure if that's aimed at me. But if having a polite discussion is classed as looking for an argument then this board is going to the dogs. Laughable how such a genuine and thoughtful question has been met with such derision. What a crap place this has turned into.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1143 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:33 pm

Burnley FC is in the entertainment industry. Therefore PR is vitally important. This would appear to be non existent right now. I am sure most fans would be interested in hearing as much information as possible

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:36 pm

taio wrote:
You seem to be ignoring the consent bit. Ìt's easily done. I suspect the younger players would agree to their injury status being made public on the basis it's of interest to supporters. I suspect most normal employees wouldn't consent to their health status being put on a corporate website. That's why it's a strange comparison.
Maybe, I'm not sure whether they'll have such clauses in their contracts to be honest, but maybe they do. Forget the website bit if you'd prefer, I think my comparison is still valid. If you were off work for a personal health reason and a client/customer called for you and your boss told them the reason why you were off work, would you have valid grounds for complaint?

It seems like a perfectly legitimate question that I'm posing. Maybe this has nothing to do with why the club are quite vague about player's injuries from top to bottom, maybe in this 'data protection' age it is a reason why.

ecc
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:37 pm

Richardson, as pointed out above, is an adult and a member of our First-Team squad.

Bloody farcical. I'm sure Dynamo Dresden fans got more injury updates on young players than Burnley fans do.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:40 pm

The thread title is Burnley v Middlesbrough -U23 latest score.....thanks for the updates Tony....its good to know whos injured/ cant play and what the team is, it's always been like that hasn't it ?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6744 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:42 pm

ecc wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:37 pm
Richardson, as pointed out above, is an adult and a member of our First-Team squad.

Bloody farcical. I'm sure Dynamo Dresden fans got more injury updates on young players than Burnley fans do.
Do we really need them?
I accept that we are all interested in the progress (or lack of it) in our academy/ development squads, but come on, it isn't that important.
And while we are on the subject of injuries and the information there of...
how's Dale Stephens doing?

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:43 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:36 pm
Maybe, I'm not sure whether they'll have such clauses in their contracts to be honest, but maybe they do. Forget the website bit if you'd prefer, I think my comparison is still valid. If you were off work for a personal health reason and a client/customer called for you and your boss told them the reason why you were off work, would you have valid grounds for complaint?

It seems like a perfectly legitimate question that I'm posing. Maybe this has nothing to do with why the club are quite vague about player's injuries from top to bottom, maybe in this 'data protection' age it is a reason why.
Not sure why it would be a contractual matter. At worst it would be a simple consent issue which would be very straightforward to address. Anyway, as indicated by others, it's a completely futile discussion. The point was it would be good for supporters to be kept informed and that is easily achievable.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:56 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:52 pm

If I was off work ill for whatever reason, I wouldn’t be too keen on my company putting it on their website.
What if you pulled your hamstring and your 5 a side football work colleagues would like to know when you might be able to play again?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:58 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:56 pm
What if you pulled your hamstring and your 5 a side football work colleagues would like to know when you might be able to play again?
I'd probably just tell them.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:06 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:13 pm
You do have an idea because I explained why I mentioned my own work place;

'Should any employer be able to publicise the private health status of their employees?'

I think the answer to that question is no, you may disagree which is obviously fine, but there's no need to be so dismissive of my perfectly sensible question.

This may or may not be the reason why we don't get as much injury news as we used to. It's notable that we also don't get specific updates from the manager, just vagueness. I expect the club, like any other employer, knows that they have to tread carefully with such issues.
That's utter nonsense. We are asking about injury updates here and I don't think I've been dismissive of any perfectly sensible question.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:06 pm
That's utter nonsense. We are asking about injury updates here and I don't think I've been dismissive of any perfectly sensible question.
Fair do's. I think the club are on thin ice putting the private health status of their employees in the public domain. Others disagree, and that's fine, but I think that probably comes from it being the norm being fed so much information. We are seeing footballers filing lawsuits on data protection grounds for supposed misuse of their data . Now this may not be something as banal as sharing information about a pulled muscle, but the risk to the player is that the information is misused, or misrepresented in a way that may be damaging for the player. Putting descriptive injury updates of players in the public domain has the potential to damage their career, I'm not sure that can be debated.

Obviously a pulled hamstring or a twisted ankle is a fairly harmless thing to mention, but underlying injuries or health conditions are far less so. Then there's mental health issues, addictions, family matters etc. So I can perfectly understand why the club may draw a line and choose not to make such announcements. You will notice that Dyche rarely ever goes into detail about a player's injury status too.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:36 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:22 pm
I think the club are on thin ice putting the private health status of their employees in the public domain.
Absolute and utter nonsense. By the way Ben Mee missed last week's game having tested for positive (informed by Dyche), Charlie Taylor was injured in training (informed by Dyche) and Vydra on international duty (informed by Dyche). According to you, our club and manager must be on the thinnest of ice.

The simple fact is that clubs should give out this information to supporters. It's been reported elsewhere that Lewis Richardson is out long term, information passed out by the club but not reported by the club themselves. I can fully understand us not reporting an injury ahead of a game (such as Mee ahead of Norwich) but to not inform supporters of injuries that are keeping players out long term is very poor PR. On thin ice? Don't make me laugh.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:46 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:36 pm
Absolute and utter nonsense. By the way Ben Mee missed last week's game having tested for positive (informed by Dyche), Charlie Taylor was injured in training (informed by Dyche) and Vydra on international duty (informed by Dyche). According to you, our club and manager must be on the thinnest of ice.

The simple fact is that clubs should give out this information to supporters. It's been reported elsewhere that Lewis Richardson is out long term, information passed out by the club but not reported by the club themselves. I can fully understand us not reporting an injury ahead of a game (such as Mee ahead of Norwich) but to not inform supporters of injuries that are keeping players out long term is very poor PR. On thin ice? Don't make me laugh.
I thought you weren't being dismissive?

I think you know full well that somebody's health is their own business and their employer, regardless of whether that is BFC or Burger King, do not have the right to publicise such information without said person's consent. It's a real shame that we don't seem to be able to have healthy and polite debate on here any more.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:05 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:46 pm
I thought you weren't being dismissive?

I think you know full well that somebody's health is their own business and their employer, regardless of whether that is BFC or Burger King, do not have the right to publicise such information without said person's consent. It's a real shame that we don't seem to be able to have healthy and polite debate on here any more.
It's not really a debate is it? It's fairly standard practice for football clubs to release injury information about players. We do it, just like the others, but, for some reason, and I think it is the lack of media staff, ,it's not as forthcoming as it used to be with the under-23s. It's of interest to people why players such as Richardson, Harker, Mancini etc. aren't playing. Someone on here has already posted that Richardson has had surgery, and I have read that he's out long term. It's of genuine interest to people.

I'm not sure where Burger King comes into it but if you are comparing a company like that to a football club then it is a pointless debate.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:07 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:40 pm
The thread title is Burnley v Middlesbrough -U23 latest score.....thanks for the updates Tony....its good to know whos injured/ cant play and what the team is, it's always been like that hasn't it ?
You're welcome, shame someone who compares us to his own work and to Burger King interrupted it.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:07 pm

Riley For the club to state

Richardson - out, long term knee injury
(Haven’t a clue what it is)

Why the hell would that be such a big deal? You’re arguing such a strange point, and of course you’re not wrong but you’re also not right. All clubs do it

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5162 times

Post by Rowls » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:03 am

Thanks for the positive contributions, guys.

They're only youngsters but it's good to know, as best we can, how the young Clarets are getting on.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3088 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:41 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:07 pm

Richardson - out, long term knee injury
(Haven’t a clue what it is)
Sounds like a cruciate? Either way, awful news for him if he’s out long term at his age. Wishing him a speedy rehab and successful return to the game.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:42 am

Rowls wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:03 am
Thanks for the positive contributions, guys.

They're only youngsters but it's good to know, as best we can, how the young Clarets are getting on.
Yes, I really appreciate the updates. Thanks.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:45 am

Out of interest, does anyone know why we never seem to play our first teamers in the U23’s when they’re returning from injury? I’m pretty sure other teams do.

Just reading that Dyche wants to get some game time for Roberts but is struggling to arrange friendlies, yet we have these matches he could easily play in (and help them out at the same time)?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:22 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:45 am
Out of interest, does anyone know why we never seem to play our first teamers in the U23’s when they’re returning from injury? I’m pretty sure other teams do.

Just reading that Dyche wants to get some game time for Roberts but is struggling to arrange friendlies, yet we have these matches he could easily play in (and help them out at the same time)?
He's said he doesn't think these are the games he wants him to play in although we've done it previously with other players.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:24 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 pm
Not sure if that's aimed at me. But if having a polite discussion is classed as looking for an argument then this board is going to the dogs. Laughable how such a genuine and thoughtful question has been met with such derision. What a crap place this has turned into.
Someone has lost their sense of humor ( Monty Python reference).....
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:44 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:36 pm

At risk of flogging a dead horse, what does happen at your place if someone is off ill long term and a client rings up to speak to them? I would have thought telling the client he or she is off sick is the least problematic solution. What else can they say? "He is unable to speak to you and for legal reasons I cannot tell you why"?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:52 am

dsr wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:44 am
At risk of flogging a dead horse, what does happen at your place if someone is off ill long term and a client rings up to speak to them? I would have thought telling the client he or she is off sick is the least problematic solution. What else can they say? "He is unable to speak to you and for legal reasons I cannot tell you why"?
I would say that they are on long term leave. I wouldn’t say they are having cancer treatment, or suffering from anxiety and depression, or recovering from a broken leg.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:28 am

Highlights of the game now on YouTube

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:37 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 pm
Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:52 am
I would say that they are on long term leave. I wouldn’t say they are having cancer treatment, or suffering from anxiety and depression, or recovering from a broken leg.
Could you imagine if Dyche was asked about Ben Mee's return and he said he wouldn't be playing because he's on long term leave.

I think you've missed the whole point Rileybobs, a footballer not being available to play is of big interest to supporters. Details of injuries are usually given out by clubs so their supporters are informed. It's always been like that at Burnley but now it seems it isn't although, as I've said previously, I do believe it is just our media (or lack of it now) who are not passing on the information.

As for making this a crap place, it wasn't met with derision until you started throwing in your own place of work and Burger King and it doesn't make this a crap place either.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:59 am

Tucker looks to be developing nicely. Tony what’s your thoughts on him

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:08 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:59 am
Tucker looks to be developing nicely. Tony what’s your thoughts on him
Obviously I didn't see anything last season but he does look as though he's progressed really well. Thought he was excellent in the first half last night.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:17 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:08 pm
Obviously I didn't see anything last season but he does look as though he's progressed really well. Thought he was excellent in the first half last night.
From the highlights his touch and ball control was excellent

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:51 pm

Quite the unexpectedly hot topic this. Can't say I'm ever too fussed why any player is out, and that's the first team never mind reserves and kids. Just give a rough idea when they might be back and that's more than enough for me. Everyone's different mind.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6744 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:07 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:17 pm
From the highlights his touch and ball control was excellent
The "extensive" highlights? :D