Youth

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newchurch Claret
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Youth

Post by Newchurch Claret » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:20 am

First post in many years. Had to create new login!

I really think it’s time to give some youngsters a go. Other teams in the Prem are and there’s little point signing so many and not giving them a chance. The general consensus is that so many of our squad are past it (Cork and Barnes in particular). May as well have a couple of youngsters on the bench to throw in and give them a chance. Just look at Collins once given his chance (yes I know he has experience). Dwight was forced on Sean a few seasons ago also and look at him.

I hear great things about Richardson. Give the lad a go. It can’t be any worse than continuing to do the same thing over and over with the same old players expecting something different to happen.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3772 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Re: Youth

Post by Leisure » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:33 am

Newchurch Claret wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:20 am
First post in many years. Had to create new login!

I really think it’s time to give some youngsters a go. Other teams in the Prem are and there’s little point signing so many and not giving them a chance. The general consensus is that so many of our squad are past it (Cork and Barnes in particular). May as well have a couple of youngsters on the bench to throw in and give them a chance. Just look at Collins once given his chance (yes I know he has experience). Dwight was forced on Sean a few seasons ago also and look at him.

I hear great things about Richardson. Give the lad a go. It can’t be any worse than continuing to do the same thing over and over with the same old players expecting something different to happen.
Unfortunately Lewis is out injured.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:40 am

Makes you wonder doesn’t it, that if we hadn’t had the injuries we had to our midfielders that we did, would we actually have Dwight anywhere near the starting eleven even now?

As much as I love SD, and what he’s achieved, even his family members would have to admit his most successful changes on the playing side have been forced upon him…. So I’d suggest we won’t be seeing any of the youngsters being blooded anytime soon.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:55 am

Picking up on the Lewis Richardson suggestion. He's got potential but don't think he's ready yet, but. I do think he could learn a lot from Cornet on positional awareness and improve his all round game even more. There's a very good player in the making there and due to some of his attributes I think he could benefit from some of Cornet's game. Awareness, when to drop, when to hold, when to make a run, find space etc.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:29 am

BenWickes wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:55 am
Picking up on the Lewis Richardson suggestion. He's got potential but don't think he's ready yet, but. I do think he could learn a lot from Cornet on positional awareness and improve his all round game even more. There's a very good player in the making there and due to some of his attributes I think he could benefit from some of Cornet's game. Awareness, when to drop, when to hold, when to make a run, find space etc.

You are most likely right,
So the question is why are youth players from most other clubs in the PL "ready" sooner than ours?
I'll use Bobby Thomas as an example, a very promising young defender but a year older than Nathan Collins.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:30 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:29 am
So the question is why are youth players from most other clubs in the PL "ready" sooner than ours?
I'll use Bobby Thomas as an example, a very promising young defender but a year older than Nathan Collins.
Because most other PL clubs have better and more established academies than ours.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:37 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:29 am
At a guess because we've been playing catch up after previous incumbents ran our youth system into the ground. We're a bit behind the curve in terms of attracting talented youngsters and to a degree will still be getting cast offs or players not deemed good enough for the likes of Utd, Liverpool etc.
We've only improved our academy status to the desired level in the past couple of years. It will take time.
There are certainly promising signs though at those levels. You mention Collins but even Stoke City had a better established network, academy etc than ours until relatively recently.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:47 am

Better established academies, no doubt.
However, plenty of our youth/development squads are products of other clubs' academies.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:00 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:47 am
Better established academies, no doubt.
However, plenty of our youth/development squads are products of other clubs' academies.
Yes, and we've had to do that because ours had been run into the ground and was in such a state that it was close to being shut down altogether. It takes time to move things forward. They are moving forward but we don't have an academy full of Dwight McNeils I'm afraid.

We had a 21 year old and a 20 year old in the team yesterday. One of them is established, the other has come in to the team when we could easily have played the more experienced Kevin Long. I am certain that young players will be given the opportunity if they prove to be good enough.

The OP refers to Richardson who, we are led to believe, is a long term absentee. I'm not sure he's ready yet but I've not seen anything to suggest anyone else is.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:03 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:00 pm
Yes, and we've had to do that because ours had been run into the ground and was in such a state that it was close to being shut down altogether. It takes time to move things forward. They are moving forward but we don't have an academy full of Dwight McNeils I'm afraid.

We had a 21 year old and a 20 year old in the team yesterday. One of them is established, the other has come in to the team when we could easily have played the more experienced Kevin Long. I am certain that young players will be given the opportunity if they prove to be good enough.

The OP refers to Richardson who, we are led to believe, is a long term absentee. I'm not sure he's ready yet but I've not seen anything to suggest anyone else is.
Nathan Collins is a better player than Kevin Long. No doubt.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:08 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:03 pm
Nathan Collins is a better player than Kevin Long. No doubt.
You've missed my point entirely

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:36 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:08 pm
You've missed my point entirely
Why would the manager choose Long over Collins? Age in this case is almost irrelevant.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:59 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:36 pm
Why would the manager choose Long over Collins? Age in this case is almost irrelevant.
You really have missed my point entirely

Newchurch Claret

Post by Newchurch Claret » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:13 pm

What I was trying to suggest was that the options on the bench now offer little or nothing, particularly forward options. That being the case, why not throw a youngster in? Last 10 mins. Chasing a game. You never know, whereas, with Barnes, JayRod etc, you know exactly what you’ll get.

I suspect therein lies the answer. Sean prefers what he knows, even if that is not going to add anything different.

Stumbling upon Cornet as a 2nd striker is a classic case in point. No way in hell was he signed to play there, but he’s not disciplined enough for the system so give him a go up top. All I’m asking is that we do the same with some youngsters as I’m completely fed up with seeing 5 minite Vydra and JarRod cameos that achieve nothing.

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:17 pm

".....the other has come in to the team when we could easily have played the more experienced Kevin Long."

I think Tony's point is fairly clear. He's stating the fact that SD has chosen ability irrespective of age.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:30 pm

Newchurch Claret wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:13 pm
What I was trying to suggest was that the options on the bench now offer little or nothing, particularly forward options. That being the case, why not throw a youngster in? Last 10 mins. Chasing a game. You never know, whereas, with Barnes, JayRod etc, you know exactly what you’ll get.

I suspect therein lies the answer. Sean prefers what he knows, even if that is not going to add anything different.

Stumbling upon Cornet as a 2nd striker is a classic case in point. No way in hell was he signed to play there, but he’s not disciplined enough for the system so give him a go up top. All I’m asking is that we do the same with some youngsters as I’m completely fed up with seeing 5 minite Vydra and JarRod cameos that achieve nothing.
Which players would you suggest? Who do you think is up to being on the bench and coming on? Other than Richardson, who is injured, you haven't named anyone and you can't just pluck someone out of the system who isn't ready.

davetheclaret
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by davetheclaret » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:38 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:00 pm

davetheclaret

Post by davetheclaret » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:48 pm

Totally agree with everything you have said CT i''ve watched the u23 a few times on feeds and none are anywhere near ready for the 1st team, we talk about these young players yet when some leave and they drop from our u23s to below conference level very quickly, we have some good lads Glennon looks a good lad so does Helm but they are not ready for the 1st team, as regard to Richardson if he's not fit you can't even include him in the squad at present.

Newchurch Claret

Post by Newchurch Claret » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:30 pm
[quote="Newchurch Claret" post_id=<a href="tel:1665563">1665563</a> time=<a href="tel:1635077598">1635077598</a> user_id=7156]

Which players would you suggest? Who do you think is up to being on the bench and coming on? Other than Richardson, who is injured, you haven't named anyone and you can't just pluck someone out of the system who isn't ready.
[/quote]

Tony, my point is that you never know. We know what Barnes and 5 mins of Vydra does. Nothing. I’m looking for and suggesting something different. You can’t just keep doing the same thing over and over and expect change. Try something different and see what happens. It can’t be any worse than what we’ve done so far this season.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:50 pm

Newchurch Claret wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:41 pm
Tony, my point is that you never know. We know what Barnes and 5 mins of Vydra does. Nothing. I’m looking for and suggesting something different. You can’t just keep doing the same thing over and over and expect change. Try something different and see what happens. It can’t be any worse than what we’ve done so far this season.
By that logic you might as well drag someone off the street to sit on the bench, as you never know what they can do.

I would think that the management team do know the capablilities of the young players at their disposal.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:59 pm

It can't get much worse at the minute, I'd rather see that big lad Harker upfront than Barnes or Rodriguez and I'd rather see Gomez-Mancini over Cork/Stephens.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:18 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:59 pm
It can't get much worse at the minute, I'd rather see that big lad Harker upfront than Barnes or Rodriguez and I'd rather see Gomez-Mancini over Cork/Stephens.
I'm fairly sure that Harker is injured, Mancini is not playing for the U23s so he could be injured too.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:44 pm

Whilst I tend to agree with the sentiment behind the op, I guess the harsh truth is that Dwight aside, we haven't had anyone in the academy set up who has shown enough to displace a regular pick and hold a place down. Because we're in the Prem the standard is so much higher and the stakes for failure are so much higher and that in itself makes it more difficult to find youth players of the required first team standard or give a "maybe" 7 or 8 games to see if he can step up. Giving any young player ago is a gamble which SD must feel is a gamble too far for the most part and I guess that's a shame, even though I understand it. It's a fact of life unfortunately when the cost to the club of failing at this level is so enormously high. Benson got a bit of a go, but Dyche quickly decided he was good, but not good enough and moved him on and if he was the pick of the up and comings that tells us that right now, nobody is good enough. Hopefully, that will change in the very near future.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:20 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:18 pm
I'm fairly sure that Harker is injured, Mancini is not playing for the U23s so he could be injured too.
Both injured - Harker got his injury v Sunderland on 23rd August, was still walking very badly when I last saw him.

But I'm astounded at people thinking some of these players are ready to step up. Those calling for the likes of Harker & Mancini, how many times have you seen them play to even suggest it?

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:29 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:20 pm
Both injured - Harker got his injury v Sunderland on 23rd August, was still walking very badly when I last saw him.

But I'm astounded at people thinking some of these players are ready to step up. Those calling for the likes of Harker & Mancini, how many times have you seen them play to even suggest it?
I have no idea why you are answering this as though I posted the suggestion, which I have to say I do not agree with.
Have you some kind of agenda here?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:44 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:29 pm
I have no idea why you are answering this as though I posted the suggestion, which I have to say I do not agree with.
Have you some kind of agenda here?
Sorry, quoted you just to confirm your comment on the two being injured. It does look as though I was aiming the rest of the post at you but it wasn't the case.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:49 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:44 pm
Sorry, quoted you just to confirm your comment on the two being injured. It does look as though I was aiming the rest of the post at you but it wasn't the case.
Thanks for that.
Incidentally, I believe that we were in broad agreement regarding the Collins over Long selection.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:50 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:59 pm
The same Harker that was prolific in the national league? 4 steps below the level we play at

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2196 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:50 pm

Is it fair to say we average a regular first teamer from the youth set up around once every ten years?

It's hardly a controversial point to say we need to do better.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:52 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:50 pm
Is it fair to say we average a regular first teamer from the youth set up around once every ten years?

That's better than Chelsea used to be until recently

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:53 pm

fidelcastro wrote:

Our youth set-up is much improved but of course there will be a natural time lag before we hopefully see the benefit.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:54 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:52 pm
That's better than Chelsea used to be until recently
That's true, but they didn't care.

Clubs like us need youngsters breaking through.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:57 pm

Local cricketer wrote:
The same Harker that was prolific in the national league? 4 steps below the level we play at
What is your point? I don't need to see anymore of Barnes and Rodriguez, I've seen enough to know they're useless. At least a young lad with 5-10 minutes off the bench might run around a bit.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:02 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:57 pm
What is your point? I don't need to see anymore of Barnes and Rodriguez, I've seen enough to know they're useless. At least a young lad with 5-10 minutes off the bench might run around a bit.
Why can't you stick to reasonable points rather than diarrhoea like this.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:03 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:02 pm
Why can't you stick to reasonable points rather than diarrhoea like this.
I don't think it's diarrhoea to suggest Rodriguez and Barnes are useless, you are free to disagree of course.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:04 pm

Surely at some point we have to give these lads a go. Currently the first teamers aren’t doing it.

Maybe time to give Helm a go at CM

taio

Post by taio » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:07 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:03 pm
I don't think it's diarrhoea to suggest Rodriguez and Barnes are useless, you are free to disagree of course.
It's an absolute joke to suggest that Harker is now better than them. You can make some good points and then you come out with shite like this.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Leisure

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:15 pm

Those of us who watch the U23s will state that there isn't much there that could play PL football right now.
Some of the better ones are actually about 18 years old.
The argument (if you want to call it that) for including any from the development squad at the higher level is that it shows there is a pathway to the first team from our academy. This could encourage some of the better ones to push on (IMO, of course)

davetheclaret

Post by davetheclaret » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:20 pm

I agree Tony, and anyone who has watched the 3 or 4 feeds from the u23s games or gone to watch will agree, strength wise some are not there yet, and putting youngsters into a struggling side can do them more harm than good, im all for young players id like to see the whole team all under 30 id also like to see when fit Richardson on the bench instead of Lennon, but it takes time if they are good enough they will come through in their own time if they are not up to it they will move on to the likes of Curzon Ashton etc which is still very good football. One player we let go was Ron Flowers grandson i think it was, Tony will correct me if im wrong Harry Flowers, he left and ended up at my local club Brackley Town from the National League North he couldn't get into the side, that's the come down many face very quickly, look at Jimmy Dunne had his chance a few times wasn't quite up to it at the time, even Josh Benson who i would have kept, we have to accept we are not going to churn Dwight McNeils out every season until as has been said we can attract better younger players which will always be difficult with the likes of City, United, Liverpool etc getting 1st pick some get released and through the net in the likes of McNeil & Richardson and hopefully a few more, but currently i don't see anyone in our u23s who is anywhere near banging on the 1st team door.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:48 pm

fidelcastro wrote:

No but I think it’s fair to say you have no understanding of our academy.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:01 pm

Local cricketer wrote:
I'm confused by your use of the word prolific, 7 games 0 goals for Hartlepool in 19/20, 1 goal in 11 for the U23s last season.
I think Jay Rod's 4 goals against Rochdale might go some way to explaining why SD would pick him before considering any of the youngsters.

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:11 pm

We ARE catching up but we have a long way to go still. Our U18s drew 1-1 away to Arsenal in a cup match last week. It was fairly close to their usual line-up that are third in the PL U18 South Division. We have stepped up enormously in just five years or so. But it takes time. A lot of time.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:13 pm

fidelcastro wrote:

We very clearly need to do better and it’s obvious to everyone the club realise this, hence the hard work and money that’s gone into the academy over the last few years. It will take time.

Your point was of course a valid one, though.
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:17 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:13 pm
We very clearly need to do better and it’s obvious to everyone the club realise this, hence the hard work and money that’s gone into the academy over the last few years. It will take time.

Your point was of course a valid one, though.
Thanks and I agree.

It's good to know that people can respond without being arsey for the sake of it.

davetheclaret

Post by davetheclaret » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:26 pm

ecc wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:11 pm
We ARE catching up but we have a long way to go still. Our U18s drew 1-1 away to Arsenal in a cup match last week. It was fairly close to their usual line-up that are third in the PL U18 South Division. We have stepped up enormously in just five years or so. But it takes time. A lot of time.
You are so right, and i think we even beat United u18s the other week and should we get 1 player to make it the 1st team from this group then we will have done bloody well.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3772 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:30 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:57 pm
We tried that with Benson and Mumbongo but that wasn't too successful was it!

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:33 pm

Leisure wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:30 pm
I'm not sure, but I think a few are missing what I believe to be KRBFC's point.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:40 pm

dibraidio wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:01 pm
I'm confused by your use of the word prolific, 7 games 0 goals for Hartlepool in 19/20, 1 goal in 11 for the U23s last season.
I think Jay Rod's 4 goals against Rochdale might go some way to explaining why SD would pick him before considering any of the youngsters.
Exactly my point. It was a sarcastic comment

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:51 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:07 pm
It's an absolute joke to suggest that Harker is now better than them. You can make some good points and then you come out with shite like this.
Fair point, I didn't mean Harker is better just a young kid off the bench may offer a bit more energy/rawness than what we've seen from Barnes/Rodriguez off the bench lately. I've seen Harker play twice, I'm certainly not in a position to be making wild claims that he's a PL ready striker, just I'd like to see anything but the standard Rodriguez/Barnes performance.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:02 pm

Leisure wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:30 pm
You're not wrong, this whole relegation thing with uncertain future finances is getting to me, it's not fun seeing my team unable to win, I know I know it was worse under Cotterill but I don't take much happiness from either run. It's brutal and football isn't any fun when your side can't win for toffee. I'm hoping for change and I just don't see it with Rodriguez/Barnes, hence the cry for anything but (regardless of how wild it may be).
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud