That ‘eye of the tiger’ is back.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

That ‘eye of the tiger’ is back.

Post by jedi_master » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:28 pm

It’s hard for me to describe exactly what I am referring to, but it’s a core battling facet of our play since we came up. That solid, no nonsense belief to stay in a game that we have shown at so many grounds over the last half a decade and then popped up with the winner/equaliser from our only chance.

This had deserted us, we were becoming leaky - going a goal behind was almost seeming a lethal blow. That inner belief within this set of players is back - and I could feel it all game. They stuck to their task and threw themselves in the way of everything they could in the first half just to, maybe, possibly get that one opportunity to nick something.

A vital missing ingredient this season has returned.
These 16 users liked this post: Bosscat Taffy on the wing bobinho jdrobbo Newchurch Claret bfcjg longsidepies Zom Zom Elizabeth Aclaret PaintYorkClaretnBlue The Enclosure Juan Tanamera k90bfc elwaclaret Damo

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Re: That ‘eye of the tiger’ is back.

Post by Bosscat » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:30 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:28 pm
It’s hard for me to describe exactly what I am referring to, but it’s a core battling facet of our play since we came up. That solid, no nonsense belief to stay in a game that we have shown at so many grounds over the last half a decade and then popped up with the winner/equaliser from our only chance.

This had deserted us, we were becoming leaky - going a goal behind was almost seeming a lethal blow. That inner belief within this set of players is back - and I could feel it all game. They stuck to their task and threw themselves in the way of everything they could in the first half just to, maybe, possibly get that one opportunity to nick something.

Great observations jedi_master ...

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3192 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:30 pm

The "Jaw is strong".

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:31 pm

jedi_master wrote:

It's starting to feel like we won't lose many more games either this season, a bit like in our 7th place finish.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:34 pm

Well said!

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:38 pm

To be fair we played pretty well at City and Liverpool too although both got the vital second goal to make the game more safe.

We have had a tough run of games (top three away, Leicester away, Everton away and been unlucky/loose at home) I think we should have enough to survive again this season.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:43 pm

We have played ell in a lot of games this season and a combination of bad luck, atrocious reffing and, crucially, a midfield under increasing pressure as games wore on.
I think the introduction of Cornet has been important not only because of his goal - scoring prowess but his threat. As teams have to respond to his presence, we have found a tiny amount of relief from that pressure but enough to turn the tide.
Oh and you never, ever write Sean Dyche off..
These 3 users liked this post: bfcjg Taffy on the wing k90bfc

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:48 pm

As has been mentioned before after other games we have played very well in spells, someone said the other week Pope getting back to his awesome best has really helped and the save last week was certainly a turning point.

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:15 pm

jedi_master wrote:

I felt it too, especially second half. Somehow, I just knew we had a goal in us.

It's not beyond imagination that Tuchel's celebratory display when they scored fuelled the fires in our bellies at half time
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Bosscat k90bfc

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:27 pm

No I think Tuchel’s delight showed that he never underestimates any team in the league no matter how low down they are.
Hard to imagine Dyche using it as a motivator at half time

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:21 pm

We've come from behind in our last 2 away matches to earn a point, that's surely a sign that our belief is still strong.

Yes we had to grind out periods of the game, and stick in when Chelsea were enjoying good spells, but that's only to be expected when you visit a side of their stature.

And we battled hard to stay in the contest before seizing our moment when it presented itself with a well crafted equaliser.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat k90bfc

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:21 am

If we stay in the game we always have a chance , and yesterday proved the point

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:55 am

Why did anyone doubt that we would start to click? We always, every season, start like we are relegation fodder, but then around round 8 or 9 it starts to come together.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:11 am

I’ll hold back on any firm conclusions until Christmas because we have some very winnable games coming up and need to win some of them.

Cutting out the mistakes and being clinical at the other end is key, we will then get our resilience back, some good signs of this and Pope coming back into form, Cornet playing and Wood scoring are three big factors.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:32 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:11 am
I’ll hold back on any firm conclusions until Christmas because we have some very winnable games coming up and need to win some of them.

Cutting out the mistakes and being clinical at the other end is key, we will then get our resilience back, some good signs of this and Pope coming back into form, Cornet playing and Wood scoring are three big factors.
Not to mention Vydra coming off the bench to score his 1st for this campaign being the fourth factor yesterday 🙂
This user liked this post: k90bfc

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:25 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:32 am
Not to mention Vydra coming off the bench to score his 1st for this campaign being the fourth factor yesterday 🙂
Considering last season we had 0 goals and 0 assists from the bench, and this season we already have a few, I totally agree. Another good sign. :D
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat tiger76 k90bfc

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:40 pm

jedi_master wrote:

I think referring Burnley FC to the expression "eye of the tiger" is just a wee bit of an exaggeration to be honest

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:52 pm

I would agree but only up to a point. If we give the ball away too easily and if we fail to break down players moves running at speed through the middle to score ( as has happened this season) then we will lose points.
BUT we have a great attitude at the moment and Supermax!