Well done Alan Pace

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Re: Well done Alan Pace

Post by brexit » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:55 pm

Heard that dyche has taken 1 years pay as severance can anybody confirm that?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:02 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:40 pm
I’m of the view that the best person to take us back up was already in charge. His record speaks for itself. I’d be more inclined to dispose of players who think they’re bigger than the manager.

Under our set up, without a D of F, I’d also allow the most successful manager in our modern history to select the players that he wants to bring in and move on those that had become stale.

If I was to get rid of said manager, I’d do it at a time that would afford the new incumbent sufficient time to address issues and bring in the players deemed to be required.
If you thought Dyche was the man to rebuild and take us back up, fair enough. I disagree though, his record 6 years ago holds little weight. I see no evidence this side was suddenly gonna start winning every week and scoring goals. All I see is a dysfunctional mess of a team, unable to string passes together.

The current time does allow plenty of time for the new manager to prepare for next season.
These 2 users liked this post: buzzclarets79 claretfern

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:05 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:02 pm
If you thought Dyche was the man to rebuild and take us back up, fair enough. I disagree though, his record 6 years ago holds little weight. I see no evidence this side was suddenly gonna start winning every week and scoring goals. All I see is a dysfunctional mess of a team, unable to string passes together.

The current time does allow plenty of time for the new manager to prepare for next season.
Do you see a long term appointment being brought in? I think I’d be even more concerned if we make a rushed long term appointment. It’s surely got to be a quick fix type appointment and use the time between now and the end of the season to assess who the ideal person might be.

Given a free reign and finance, yes I’d have backed Dyche to clear the decks and go again.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:13 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:05 pm
Do you see a long term appointment being brought in? I think I’d be even more concerned if we make a rushed long term appointment. It’s surely got to be a quick fix type appointment and use the time between now and the end of the season to assess who the ideal person might be.

Given a free reign and finance, yes I’d have backed Dyche to clear the decks and go again.
I have absolutely no idea what to expect, we're entering the unknown, I'm confident we'll see better performances from now until the end of the season than we saw against Norwich though. Performances cannot get worse than the crap I've been watching this season, that's for sure.

If football worked on previous records, we wouldn't have been in the relegation zone all season and the same team would win the same trophy every season. Things change, circumstances are different.

Ultimately, players hold all the power, I'd rather see players giving 100% without Dyche than 50% with him. I was here before Dyche, I'll be here long after too. Now i'll hope for the best and expect the worst.
These 2 users liked this post: Vino blanco claretfern

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:14 pm

Losing to Norwich in that manor should be an instant sackable offence and that's for any supposed PL team.
This user liked this post: buzzclarets79

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:17 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:57 am
make no mistake, the likes off Critchley at Blackpool couldn't sign on the dotted line quick enough, he would walk here just to sign. Same goes for Russell Martin at Swansea and no doubt many many others. I assume we'll be keeping it English based which is why I've largely not mentioned potential foreign candidates.

Nuno is an interesting one, very interesting. Would he fancy it?
Jokanovic has always been very good, apart from at Sheffield United.
Bilic has been reported as wanting the job, got WBA promoted and did very well at West Ham.

Imo the stand out candidate for me is Wayne Rooney, Coutinho couldn't wait to sign for Villa because of Gerrard. I like Rooney more than Lampard personally and think Rooney is actually more likely to succeed as a manager than Lampard.
Yes I've no doubt there will be interest, but the board need to ensure they make the right appointment, as this is arguably the most important decision in the club's history given the financial implications of life in the Championship for a prolonged period.

Critchley would be high on my list also, not sure about Russell Martin yet,

Nuno I can't see us being able to afford especially if we have to cut costs.
Bilic would be a good fit I think, and yes he has got form for getting unfashionable teams out of the Champ.
Jokanovic similar his general record is decent, but I'm not sure he'd fit the Burnley ethos.

Genuine question why do you consider Rooney as the stand out candidate, he's done Ok in the circumstances at Derby, but he's yet to prove himself in a more challenging environment where success is expected.

And Gerrard has already won trophies, admittedly in Scotland, but he's also had good European runs with Rangers.

Wilder would have been one of my first choices, but that ship might now have sailed unfortunately.

Stacky_claret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 224 times

Post by Stacky_claret » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:18 pm

bumba wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:49 am
How many times do we see a manager leave and results improve, we only need to see a little bounce and it could be enough to survive regardless of who's in charge, that bounce was never coming with Dyche
I really hope that I stand corrected after the 3 games
🤞🏻

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:27 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:17 pm

Genuine question why do you consider Rooney as the stand out candidate, he's done Ok in the circumstances at Derby, but he's yet to prove himself in a more challenging environment where success is expected.
I think you're under egging it by saying Rooney has done ok at Derby, incredible job when you look at their squad, they just beat Fulham last night. I like the way Rooney speaks and how he's operated at Derby, very professional when he could've easily publicly lost his rag. I like the way he spoke about Lampard jumping to the Chelsea job far too early and how he wouldn't make the same mistake. He turned down the Everton job for that reason but now Derby are pretty much gone, maybe he'll be ready for the next step in his career. Rooney will bring eyes to Burnley, we'll be the medias favourite club and referred to as ''Wayne Rooney's Burnley'' the same way Derby were under Frank. Then there's the pull and attraction for players to work with Rooney, same with Coutinho and Gerrard. If we're keeping it England based, I'd take Rooney.
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:30 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:27 pm
I think you're under egging it by saying Rooney has done ok at Derby, incredible job when you look at their squad, they just beat Fulham last night. I like the way Rooney speaks and how he's operated at Derby, very professional when he could've easily publicly lost his rag. I like the way he spoke about Lampard jumping to the Chelsea job far too early and how he wouldn't make the same mistake. He turned down the Everton job for that reason but now Derby are pretty much gone, maybe he'll be ready for the next step in his career. Rooney will bring eyes to Burnley, we'll be the medias favourite club and referred to as ''Wayne Rooney's Burnley'' the same way Derby were under Frank. Then there's the pull and attraction for players to work with Rooney, same with Coutinho and Gerrard. If we're keeping it England based, I'd take Rooney.
Good post and points well made. Another factor in securing targeted players is the manager.

Let’s be honest here what Rooney is operating in is much worse of a situation than he would have at Burnley. We are no where near that level of financial ruin.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:32 pm

As I read and think about the situation a bit more, I'm arriving at the conclusion that Dyche has deliberately orchestrated a stand off with Pace by not playing to the strengths of Cornet & Weghorst and in the case of Weghorst actually making him look bad by playing Westwoods balls beyond him. The other players have obviously latched on with word getting back to Pace.
Dyche, to back himself up says that's the system which we play to and worked with Wood in the team.
The same scenario happened with Garlick & I would imagine Pace would have been tipped off to expect Dyche manipulating a situation in order to assert his grip over signings etc.
In this case though it has backfired as the players don't want to be relegated or be pawns in Dyche's power game.
This user liked this post: Blakesboots

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:37 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:27 pm
All fair comments, and Rooney would be an interesting appointment and generate excitement I guess, but although his name might attract players what are we paying them with, that's always going to be the problem even with a high profile manager at the helm.

I'd wouldn't be averse to Rooney as I think we generally agree the club needs a totally fresh approach, and I'd certainly prefer us to take a punt on a young up and coming manager rather than appoint one of the usual suspects.

One thing regarding Rooney whether by choice or design he has brought youngsters into Derby's 1st team, and if he could achieve similar results here that would be a welcome change, and it would be even better if he could bring Knight and Lawrence with him that would be major progress for starters in reducing the age of the squad.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:42 pm

The stand out candidate from those listed is Slaven Bilic as far as I am concerned.

Did a fantastic job for Croatia and West Ham, and has an automatic promotion under his belt from his one season at that level. He got sacked by West Brom after they started poorly, but he didn’t have a great squad and Allardyce couldn’t save them either.

I’d have far rather not be having to have this conversation obviously, but such is the hand we’ve been dealt by Pace that is the option I’d go for.
This user liked this post: BabylonClaret

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:42 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:37 pm
All fair comments, and Rooney would be an interesting appointment and generate excitement I guess, but although his name might attract players what are we paying them with, that's always going to be the problem even with a high profile manager at the helm.

I'd wouldn't be averse to Rooney as I think we generally agree the club needs a totally fresh approach, and I'd certainly prefer us to take a punt on a young up and coming manager rather than appoint one of the usual suspects.

One thing regarding Rooney whether by choice or design he has brought youngsters into Derby's 1st team, and if he could achieve similar results here that would be a welcome change, and it would be even better if he could bring Knight and Lawrence with him that would be major progress for starters in reducing the age of the squad.
That Derby team shouldn't have won 5 games this season, nevermind 13. Absolutely shocking side on paper.

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:47 pm

Dyche distanced himself from the signings of both Cornet and Weghorst.

He did an interview on Radio 5 and was surprised by how cool he was regarding Cornet's signing. He just about said it's the chairmans signing now we'll have a look at him and see if can do a job for us and if he fits in.
On Weghorst he said, the recruitment team fancied him though later admitted how surprised he was at his intelligence as a footballer as if he had no idea about him previously.
It all hints at Dyche not being too happy about our recruitment.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:25 pm

Dyche is also on record saying the scouting team had recommended Weghorst for a while so something isn’t adding up.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:38 pm

Why are people blaming Pace? Did he not sign two champions league footballers and not for minnows, 2 of the most technically gifted footballers we have ever had at the club, 2 welsh internationals, a centre half who could go all the way to the top?

This is all of Dyches own doing

Fair play Mr Pace, not ideal timing, but rather have 8 games without Dyche, than 8 games with him

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:41 pm

Rooney, my thoughts

Has shocked me at how well he has handled himself, seem very good at the media side of things, yes he sounds odd, but thats who he is, yes he isnt as polished as a lot but he speaks well and is very knowlegable.

The job he has done at Derby is nothing short of remarkable, everything going on and he still keeps players focused, at times he will have been as much a counsellor to players than a manager.

Hats off to him and sure he is going places in the future
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:44 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:38 pm
Why are people blaming Pace? Did he not sign two champions league footballers and not for minnows, 2 of the most technically gifted footballers we have ever had at the club, 2 welsh internationals, a centre half who could go all the way to the top?

This is all of Dyches own doing

Fair play Mr Pace, not ideal timing, but rather have 8 games without Dyche, than 8 games with him
We don’t know the ins and outs - it’s as feasible that Dyche said he wanted a central midfielder and a right winger. Pace gave him Cornet and Weghorst.

Call me old fashioned - I want the manager deciding who we need or don’t need, not the Chairman, unless we go down the Director of Football route.

Pace could have signed Kane but we’d still have struggled to get the ball to him.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:51 pm

10m for Jay Rod - Dyche
12m for Wout - Pace

Free for Aaron Lennon - Dyche (no resale value)
? for Orsic - Pace (nearly signed, obvs didnt but was nigh on done)

15m for Gibson - Dyche
15m for Collins - Pace

New contract for Bardsley - Dyche (no resale value)
Roberts - Pace

3m for Peacock Farrell - Dyche
Free for Hennessey - Pace

I think football man or not, I know who I would rather have making signings

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:55 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:51 pm
10m for Jay Rod - Dyche
12m for Wout - Pace

Free for Aaron Lennon - Dyche (no resale value)
? for Orsic - Pace (nearly signed, obvs didnt but was nigh on done)

15m for Gibson - Dyche
15m for Collins - Pace

New contract for Bardsley - Dyche (no resale value)
Roberts - Pace

3m for Peacock Farrell - Dyche
Free for Hennessey - Pace

I think football man or not, I know who I would rather have making signings
There’s a **** load of assumption in that list.

If I remember rightly, Collins was linked well before Pace arrived. I’ve not seen it suggested that Roberts was a Pace signing (could be wrong) and how you can use Hennessy as an example, I don’t know - he’s akin to a Lennon type signing.

Missing out on Orisic - is that a good thing or was it a cock up by leaving it so late?

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:03 pm

I dont know with Orsic, I just know Pace going out to see Vout, Cornet, Orsic shows the standard of players he is happy chasing, Champions League footballers, and he is willing to go out and persuade them to come.

Then these players hear after they have signed a manager basically saying dont know much about him, see how he settles, if they are for us, very negative in my mind and not stuff a manager should be saying in public about new players

I know my list was a little OTT, it was just showing the total difference. Yes with Collins as much a Dyche signing, but with the likes of Worrall, and others, he never wanted to pay the money. But for once he had a chairman happy to fund the Collins deal, because it fitted in with the buy young and yes still a bit of a premium, but its acceptable when in 3 years we could triple our money, and bar a catastrophe at least get our money back

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2326 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:05 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:55 am
No, its just a comparison between wanting something but not recognising the dangers of what happens next

Thats it
Ok :lol:

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:15 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:03 pm
I dont know with Orsic, I just know Pace going out to see Vout, Cornet, Orsic shows the standard of players he is happy chasing, Champions League footballers, and he is willing to go out and persuade them to come.

Then these players hear after they have signed a manager basically saying dont know much about him, see how he settles, if they are for us, very negative in my mind and not stuff a manager should be saying in public about new players

I know my list was a little OTT, it was just showing the total difference. Yes with Collins as much a Dyche signing, but with the likes of Worrall, and others, he never wanted to pay the money. But for once he had a chairman happy to fund the Collins deal, because it fitted in with the buy young and yes still a bit of a premium, but its acceptable when in 3 years we could triple our money, and bar a catastrophe at least get our money back
I’m not sure that Dyche wouldn’t have wanted to spend the money, given the opportunity. I do agree that they may have had very different ideas on who the players should be.

I’m 100% behind us aiming for players that can develop with us - having a positive impact on the here and now, whilst also offering good release potential.

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:16 pm

Stacky_claret wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:18 pm
I really hope that I stand corrected after the 3 games
🤞🏻
We've 8 to play

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:03 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:55 pm
There’s a **** load of assumption in that list.

If I remember rightly, Collins was linked well before Pace arrived. I’ve not seen it suggested that Roberts was a Pace signing (could be wrong) and how you can use Hennessy as an example, I don’t know - he’s akin to a Lennon type signing.

Missing out on Orisic - is that a good thing or was it a cock up by leaving it so late?
It's quite simple.
Everyone he thinks is a good player was Pace.
Everyone he thinks is a bad player was Dyche.
If players play bad it's because Dyche is a bad man manager.
If they play well it's because Pace is a genius scout.
Presumably if a bad player ever plays well it's because of defiance to Dyche to impress Alan Pace.
And anything good that almost happens is also Pace, and didn't fail due to him.
And anything bad that does happen isn't due to Pace, its Dyche or the old owners or the players or the staff or the fans.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:12 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:03 pm
It's quite simple.
Everyone he thinks is a good player was Pace.
Everyone he thinks is a bad player was Dyche.
If players play bad it's because Dyche is a bad man manager.
If they play well it's because Pace is a genius scout.
Presumably if a bad player ever plays well it's because of defiance to Dyche to impress Alan Pace.
And anything good that almost happens is also Pace, and didn't fail due to him.
And anything bad that does happen isn't due to Pace, its Dyche or the old owners or the players or the staff or the fans.
Oh far from it. Dyche has signed so many good players over the years for us, the problem now is we have 10 (?)players approaching the end of their contracts, most way past 30 y.o...32/33 being the new 30. Lennon has probs been one of our best players when he has been involved, but we have far too many, Pieters, Bardsley, who yes come in and perform, but they are stop gaps, we need a future, and we had stopped doing that.

I dont know about Pace and what the future holds, I dont want to get too negative although all the signs point to him ruining us. I try to stay positive, who knows, new manager, couple of wins, stay up, and still stuck with a dodgy owner who bought the club in not the most desirable way but still up, which at least means we will carry on this trajectory of trying to improve, trying to sign better players, players that are bought with the intention of moving on in 3/4 years. The same model Dyche did wonders with at the beginning of his reign. The model he stopped using, rather carrying on prolonging contracts and the team becoming stale. Not all his own fault, but it has happened.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1303 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:58 pm

I seem to remember that Brian Clough compared the 92 chairmen of the football league to hooligans and devoted a blank page in his book to what they knew about football. I think he had a point.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:10 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:58 pm
I seem to remember that Brian Clough compared the 92 chairmen of the football league to hooligans and devoted a blank page in his book to what they knew about football. I think he had a point.
It was footballer Len Shackleton who, in his autobiography, left a blank page referring to “The average football club directors’ knowledge about football”.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11060 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:37 pm

nobody has a clue what's gone on, I'd be surprised if it was just down to results but that is just conjecture on my part
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

texasbrit
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by texasbrit » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:02 am

the fact Pace was signing players as a chairman (not director of football) and not the manager himself suggests a lack of trust between the two.

combine this with the apparent disrespect for players by certain members of the coaching staff gives you what appears to be a very toxic environment, results this season and the totally capitulation against Norwich was the final straw for Pace, timing is not ideal I agree but change needed to happen, the delay after the Norwich game suggests there was an almighty disagreement on blame internally that eventually forced Paces hand, Dyches team would have stood by him hence the clear out

bumba

Post by bumba » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:54 pm

Again well done Alan Pace, you contributed to that point and nearly 3 with your ballsy decision.
Keep up the good work appoint the right man and we'll survive

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2035 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:56 pm

bumba wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:54 pm
Again well done Alan Pace, you contributed to that point and nearly 3 with your ballsy decision.
Keep up the good work appoint the right man and we'll survive
You’ve come to that conclusion after one game. No wonder they call football fans fickle…
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2017 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:58 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:37 pm
nobody has a clue what's gone on, I'd be surprised if it was just down to results but that is just conjecture on my part
Really tells you a lot about who on here believes their own assumptions/agenda totally, and do not require any base to build their theories on.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

bumba

Post by bumba » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:01 pm

Foshiznik wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:56 pm
You’ve come to that conclusion after one game. No wonder they call football fans fickle…
Yes because I was only talking about one game

Claretitus
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 211 times

Post by Claretitus » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:04 pm

At least with the Pace signings, there is money to be recouped if they won’t stay if we go down. In previous years who did Dyche sign?
Marvin Sordell
Steven Reid
Naki Wells
Etc, etc.
Journeymen who brought nothing to the club, except a fat salary and a jog up and down the touchline after an hour or so every week.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:14 pm

Bump 😈
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop