Hypothetically

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jedi_master
Been Liked: 3613 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Hypothetically

Post by jedi_master » Sun May 15, 2022 4:56 pm

Would we feel better right now if we had got the unexpected draw we were on course to deservedly get, but Leeds had beat Brighton at home in a game most expected them to win?

I know it’s an utterly futile post, just making the point sometimes circumstance makes things feel far worse than the reality. We play with that system and that level of commitment at Villa and a point is the least we will get.

I believe we will stay up, for the first time in a while. Felt utterly done after the Villa game at home but Leeds have twice more failed to capitalise on our misstep against a struggling Chelsea and a Brighton team with nothing to play for. It doesn’t feel like it at this precise moment, in fact it feels awful, but today has actually given us the knowledge of what is required and guaranteed it’s in our hands. Leeds could go to Brentford and win 10-0, as long as we do our business they will get relegated and can do nothing to stop it happening.
These 4 users liked this post: k90bfc mybloodisclaret Goddy longsidepies

damo_whitehead
Been Liked: 168 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Re: Hypothetically

Post by damo_whitehead » Sun May 15, 2022 4:58 pm

It's a good point. Before today I thought we'd have lost by 4 or 5 and Leeds would have won, so based on that, it isn't too bad.

Still in our hands!
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun May 15, 2022 5:01 pm

I think that we were so close to essentially needing one win to be safe that people do get a bit carried away

Not helped either case by watching two idiots disgrace my club in full view of everyone as well

But we actually played well, and we've got to bring that to the remaining two games

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Sun May 15, 2022 5:09 pm

Probably three points required somewhere between Villa away and Newcastle at home. A well fought game against Spurs and that despite fielding a team running out of options on the bench. Frankly I think we're going to struggle.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 15, 2022 5:15 pm

Win at Villa and the pressure shifts back to Leeds, even a point on Thursday will swing it slightly back in our favour.

The bigger concern is how many of our injured players we can patch up for 2 huge games in the space of 4 days.

The key aspect is 4 points will be enough, because Leeds ain't pulling that GD back. and it's by no means guaranteed they go to Brentford and get a result either, as surely Brentford will want to end their debut PL campaign on a high in front of their home support.

Goddy
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 694 times

Post by Goddy » Sun May 15, 2022 5:22 pm

Good point tiger. Who we can get back is likely to make a big difference. Ben's interview before the game, hinted he might be back, at least for the Newcastle game.

JayRod, and Tarks might both be available too.

Whatever, even if we lose at Villa I'd take my chances on us beating Newcastle (with Turf Moor rocking) and Leeds not winning at Brentford

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun May 15, 2022 5:24 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 5:15 pm
Win at Villa and the pressure shifts back to Leeds, even a point on Thursday will swing it slightly back in our favour.

The bigger concern is how many of our injured players we can patch up for 2 huge games in the space of 4 days.

The key aspect is 4 points will be enough, because Leeds ain't pulling that GD back. and it's by no means guaranteed they go to Brentford and get a result either, as surely Brentford will want to end their debut PL campaign on a high in front of their home support.
Think if we get a point at Villa then the pendulum will swing back a lot in our favour

Us at home v them away is potentially massive
These 3 users liked this post: Goddy AwayClaret RVclaret

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun May 15, 2022 5:53 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 5:24 pm
Think if we get a point at Villa then the pendulum will swing back a lot in our favour

Us at home v them away is potentially massive
100%. And we are more than capable of getting a point at Villa. I believe.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun May 15, 2022 6:43 pm

I think I’d feel differently about it if Leeds had led most of the game and Brighton scored late.

It’s a combination of following the games as they happen and the hope that builds as a good result edges closer, but then evaporating in an instant.

This run in is draining.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4084 times
Has Liked: 1856 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun May 15, 2022 6:48 pm

Desperately, desperately, hope I'm wrong, but I think it's a tall order to get the required points and hope the others don't.

I think we'll fall just short. But of course that shouldn't stop us going out there and trying our best.

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Sun May 15, 2022 6:59 pm

Surprised people are confident of at least a point at Villa. I thought they were far far better than us at TM. At their place, it’s going to be extremely tough.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun May 15, 2022 7:02 pm

Carport wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 6:59 pm
Surprised people are confident of at least a point at Villa. I thought they were far far better than us at TM. At their place, it’s going to be extremely tough.
Some were expecting a heavy defeat today at Spurs.

Never works like that.