Championship or Premiership??

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
It Is What It Is
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Championship or Premiership??

Post by It Is What It Is » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:58 am

I have never been sooo excited at the beginning of a season (apart from our Prem debut beating Manure ...God Bless Robbie Blake ).
With this new squad, ( brilliant astute signings btw) staff and game changing style of play, BFC are entering a completely new era both off and on the pitch.
AP & VK are both committed to the Clarets success story.
Personally, although getting back to the EPL is the focus and target, I just love the 'balance' of the Championship.
Every team is more or less an equal and there are no routine top 6 predictions as in the EPL.
The Championship atmosphere at both home and away games has that extra edge with both teams genuinely believing they will win the match.
Apart from our little euro adventure ( God Bless Sean Dyche), each season was a case of survival or at best a top ten finish. Exciting times none the less.
But now, this season, I feel there is a more than a realistic good chance of either first, second or play off spot.
So, unless the likes of Elon Musk buys the club, nothing will change, and to be honest, I prefer it this way.
UTC.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Re: Championship or Premiership??

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:06 am

I love our Jimmy Hogan style pass and move with wingers .I also loved us beating the media darlings in the Premier league. I believe we will go up as Champions and this time we will get presented with the trophy on the day
This user liked this post: Stayingup

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:38 am

already some good opinions on this thread https://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboa ... 7#p1901150
This user liked this post: It Is What It Is

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:44 am

Not in the Premiership , no party to be honest as i feel like if i miss a game this season ( on the net ) it will not worry me but every season in the Prem was unmissable for me .

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:51 am

When they sacked SD with 8 games to go I was surprised (as were a helluva lot) at the timing and totally pee'd off.

Mike Jackson gave us hope and but for a couple of results we would still be in the PL but ... We knew that we were going to lose our core of hardened players, Pope, Tarky, Mee etc etc etc but I never ever envisaged what has happened after relegation ... VK coming in I felt was a risk, but how thats been proved wrong (so far).

Never did I expect such a transfer window, to bring in so many young hungry skillful players and keeping the likes of CharlieTaylor and Josh Brownhill (wow how he is proving the doubters wrong) Jack Cork looks rejuvinated.

So I am Championship this season πŸ™‚ but I want us to be Premiership next season 😁

UTC

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:57 am

Bosscat wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:51 am
So I am Championship this season πŸ™‚ but I want us to be Premiership next season 😁
At last some realism. :lol:

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:02 pm

I’d like us to be heading back up for sure, that way if we can keep hold of VK and do well with his brand of football we might stand a chance of bringing in some really good wealthy investors.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:07 pm

I've got to be honest but I'd like to see us back down in the bottom division sometime just for the memories. Definitely not in the near future but within the next 10 years it would be good to have a season like we did back in 91/92.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:09 pm

Definitely Championship

Never really got into rugby union or Scottish football.
These 3 users liked this post: fidelcastro dsr Stalbansclaret

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3349 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:25 pm

Most people are really enjoying the Championship FOR NOW! We didn't want to be relegated, but so far instead of sulking about it we've brought in an imaginative choice as manager and he's completely transformed the team and the way we play and it's exciting and it's refreshing (FOR NOW!) However, I still think the place to be is at the top table playing the best teams in the country, particularly as that's where the massive money rolls in. So if in 3/4 seasons from now we're still messing about in the middle reaches of the Championship in front of 10, 000 home fans and struggling to pay the bills, we're all going be extremely peed off. And every season we don't get back up it will simply get harder and harder, especially as we won't be able to attract the genuine talent we've brought in this summer.
This user liked this post: tiger76

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:06 pm

How did "Premiership" take such a hold when it wasn't the name the league started with, and it hasn't been the name for more than 20 years?

But to answer the OP, this season is much more fun. Winning is more fun, playing well is more fun, and the absence of VAR has made a much bigger improvement than I thought it would.
These 2 users liked this post: It Is What It Is jen1066

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:10 pm

There is no substitute to being in the PL-the focus and attention any club gets through SKY and TV is incredible, and every week you are watching many of the top players in the world play your team. However I did not enjoy the last two seasons-constantly defending, constantly losing points, and always fearful of relegation or humiliation.I went to the Leicester game last night and saw Man Utd and appreciated how much the PL is moving on every year. Leicester were made to look awful and reminded me how we had been playing in the last two seasons-no creativity, little passion, and few attempts on goal. It made me also think had we still been in the PL where on earth were our points coming from, if at all

However the transformation this season in manager appointment, new coaches, new ideas, new tactics, exciting new faces has been remarkable. I am going to enjoy it again. I feel we have a chance of competing for promotion, and have seen enough of our more recent planning and recruitment to know that should we have the privilege of promotion, that the club would ensure it is better prepared to compete

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:13 pm

warksclaret wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:10 pm
There is no substitute to being in the PL-the focus and attention any club gets through SKY and TV is incredible.
There is vastly more focus and attention paid to the club on this site than there ever could be in the national media. Uptheclarets covers everything about the club, with a partisan but fair eye IMO, and there are links to all sorts of third party articles about the club that can be accessed from here. Who needs Sky.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:16 pm

I love how annoyed folk get about people calling it the Premiership πŸ˜‚

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:16 pm

If we go up it would be great for me if the zillionaires p!ssed off to join this European Super league. As of this moring Chelsea had spent @280 million this window (what is FFP?) and we and others can't live with that. Look at Villa, Everton and Leicester, even they can't compete now.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

karatekid
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:35 pm

I was as proud as punch when Burnley were in the premier league. Smallest town club ever, fit the whole of Burnley into Old Trafford etc etc. BUT… playing games with a great chance of winning and the dreams of silverware at the end of the championship season gives a real good feeling to a war weary fan.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:56 pm

Dark Cloud wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:25 pm
Most people are really enjoying the Championship FOR NOW! We didn't want to be relegated, but so far instead of sulking about it we've brought in an imaginative choice as manager and he's completely transformed the team and the way we play and it's exciting and it's refreshing (FOR NOW!) However, I still think the place to be is at the top table playing the best teams in the country, particularly as that's where the massive money rolls in. So if in 3/4 seasons from now we're still messing about in the middle reaches of the Championship in front of 10, 000 home fans and struggling to pay the bills, we're all going be extremely peed off. And every season we don't get back up it will simply get harder and harder, especially as we won't be able to attract the genuine talent we've brought in this summer.
Yes you've hit the nail on the head there DC, if you're team is winning it doesn't matter what league they're competing in, but equally if we don't get back to the PL within 2-3 years life could quickly turn sour for the club, and there would be every chance of us sliding down the leagues again as happened during the 1980's at a rapid rate of knots.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:37 pm

Burnley1989 wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:16 pm
I love how annoyed folk get about people calling it the Premiership πŸ˜‚
It must be embarrassing to call it that after 15 years of it being known as the Premier League. It was called the Premier League when Coyle got us promoted to it.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:47 pm

Stayingup wrote: ↑
If we go up it would be great for me if the zillionaires p!ssed off to join this European Super league. As of this moring Chelsea had spent @280 million this window (what is FFP?) and we and others can't live with that. Look at Villa, Everton and Leicester, even they can't compete now.
Whilst totally agreeing with the principle, I wonder if the big 6 would make so much money out of the "super league" that they'd be capable of fielding a reserve team in the PL capable of beating the bottom half PL teams at an absolute minimum.
And let's face it, the PL wouldn't want to cut ties with these big clubs regardless of a super league.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:56 pm

Stan Tastic wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:37 pm
It must be embarrassing to call it that after 15 years of it being known as the Premier League. It was called the Premier League when Coyle got us promoted to it.

Coyle always called it the Barclays premier League

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:13 pm

Stayingup wrote: ↑
And it'll be even harder for us to compete should the biggest clubs disappear.

They are the ones that bring in the big TV deals that we've benefited enormously from over the last few years. It's allowed us to build a brand new training ground and redevelop Turf Moor.

Should that disappear we'll have to compete in a league where there is little interest globally and we simply won't have any money to compete with other wealthier clubs who have very rich owners.

We'll most likely struggle even more.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:23 pm

What was wrong with it being called Division 1?

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:25 pm

Spijed wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:13 pm
And it'll be even harder for us to compete should the biggest clubs disappear.

They are the ones that bring in the big TV deals that we've benefited enormously from over the last few years. It's allowed us to build a brand new training ground and redevelop Turf Moor.

Should that disappear we'll have to compete in a league where there is little interest globally and we simply won't have any money to compete with other wealthier clubs who have very ri

We'll most likely struggle even more.
Sadly, very true. Good post.