What did the Queen mean to you?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Re: What did the Queen mean to you?

Post by brexit » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:19 pm

s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:23 pm

6 billion for a funeral and ??? Billions for covid - money out of "nowhere" but we have watched the NHS, police forces and our pensioners go to pot through lack of funding for years and years, crazy.
This user liked this post: Exeterclaret

pureclaret
Been Liked: 435 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by pureclaret » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:48 pm

s8t9 -------- what a fging stupid name for a dik head may the fleas of a 1000 camels infest your arsole Im fed up with stupid people not giving respect to our Queen if you dont like the monarchy then just lay off , if you cant bring it on you losers (ive given up on respecting others views , I was brought up to respect the loss of others but dont see it with you mindless fckers
These 2 users liked this post: Top Claret Healeywoodclaret

Beagle
Been Liked: 195 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Beagle » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:00 pm

pureclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:48 pm
s8t9 -------- what a fging stupid name for a dik head may the fleas of a 1000 camels infest your arsole Im fed up with stupid people not giving respect to our Queen if you dont like the monarchy then just lay off , if you cant bring it on you losers (ive given up on respecting others views , I was brought up to respect the loss of others but dont see it with you mindless fckers
Nurse!
This user liked this post: pureclaret

clarethead
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by clarethead » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:26 am

IMHO we would have been a much lesser nation without her as head of state What has she done for me, nothing specifically, except instill a deep pride in everything she has done in service to this country. Her life since becoming queen has seemingly been in total duty to doing what is correct and to bring largess to the UK. Living outside England and to hear what other folk outside England say about her obviously has weight but what a servant!
These 2 users liked this post: pureclaret Healeywoodclaret

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:57 am

She was like a member of the family and I always get angry when I heard people being disrespectful towards her like I would with my own family

Our Royals are special and the envy of the world they have no political opinion and the good of the country at heart first and foremost
These 4 users liked this post: pureclaret aclaretinstevenage Burnley1989 Healeywoodclaret

pureclaret

Post by pureclaret » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:26 pm

Beagle ( love the name I had a dog called that he was a Beagle to) and your comment of nurse cracked me up can you make sure she likes the royal family, likes BFC , and thinks people should respect each other especailly in time of need.

pureclaret

Post by pureclaret » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:27 pm

Top Claret, I have the same sentiments as you , hope you dont mind!
This user liked this post: Top Claret

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:00 pm

pureclaret wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:27 pm
Top Claret, I have the same sentiments as you , hope you dont mind!
And that makes three of us.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:02 pm

I have to say that the changing of the guard with the Queen lying in state must be something to behold if you witness it live in the cathedral. I’d love to go but work, costs involved etc prohibit that. Historical times.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:41 am

Top Claret wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:57 am
She was like a member of the family and I always get angry when I heard people being disrespectful towards her like I would with my own family

Our Royals are special and the envy of the world they have no political opinion and the good of the country at heart first and foremost
Especially Prince Andrew.

Andy_G
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Andy_G » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:20 am

forzagranata wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:10 am
But our constitution, including our constitutional monarchy, is a blessing that we should protect.
We don't have a constitution. Just a series of laws and agreements.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:01 am

She used to just be the face on my fivers.

Now she is, and forever will be, a terrible mural.

pureclaret

Post by pureclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:33 am

We dont have a written constitution but we have a constitutional Monarch , how does that work and what has the magna carta to do with written constitution ?

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:22 pm

I thought only people trying to get out of paying parking fines, or serving ‘legal’ notices on vaccination centres, quoted the Magna Carta these days.

Gunfury
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Gunfury » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:03 pm

I thought she represented our nation with dignity and as far as I know never embarrassed our country on the world stage unlike some others in the family…I’m not a great royalist but I’m certainly not going to start slagging off a 96 year old woman who’s just died,I like to think I’m better than that

pureclaret

Post by pureclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:05 pm

magna carta was something i saw with ref to ''written constitution'' and that someone had said that we dont have a written one ,but I read that there are some rules/laws that were written in said magna carta, but did not know what this ment or if this was our written consritution?

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 295 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:16 pm

Top Claret wrote:

I mean these questions in all sincerety so please accept it that way:

How do you relate to her as a family member? And why does it make you angry? In effect I presume she does not know you exist and what did she bring to your life?

Again, I mean it sincerely, I am kind of feeling guilty now as I have absolutely no feelings about her passing, it is inconsequential to me, especially when I see so many others feeling sad.

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:22 pm

pureclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:05 pm
magna carta was something i saw with ref to ''written constitution'' and that someone had said that we dont have a written one ,but I read that there are some rules/laws that were written in said magna carta, but did not know what this ment or if this was our written consritution?
Hadn’t seen any other reference to Magna Carta. As the poster stated, the UK does not have a constitution in the sense of a single, definitive, written document. Rather it’s unwritten based on laws, royal prerogative etc.

Magna Carta is a historical document (multiple actually) that aren’t really relevant in any practical sense anymore. Rather it’s the foundation of the idea of rule of law and other such things like trial by jury.

But this isn’t discussion thread on constitutional law and my module of the history of English law at uni was 20 odd years ago.

pureclaret

Post by pureclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:31 pm

Thanks for that Ricardo, that makes sence to what I knew / have read , I thought that there were a couple of old laws based on the multiple documents. The reason I had asked was when someone had posted our constitution and constitutional monarchy , and then some one had said we dont have a constitution . when i tried to find out it looks as though both are more or less correct.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:12 pm

Top Claret wrote:

Envy of what world?

Any first world, progressive/decent society they certainly aren’t (bar maybe Singapore or Hong Kong).

Maybe in random countries in the 2nd and 3rd world that long for a ‘benevolent’ monarch

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:25 pm

From The Times Diary, today: the Queen asked a centenarian to what he attributed his great age. “I am a Norwich football club supporter,” he told her. “And I only drink alcohol when they win.”

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:29 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:12 pm
Envy of what world?

Any first world, progressive/decent society they certainly aren’t (bar maybe Singapore or Hong Kong).

Maybe in random countries in the 2nd and 3rd world that long for a ‘benevolent’ monarch
A number of Europe nations have retained their monarchs. I'd include those in what I assume you mean by "first world."

Equally, many that don't have a monarch, including some that we'd all agree can be described as "first world" are not that great in lots of things.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:45 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:29 pm
A number of Europe nations have retained their monarchs. I'd include those in what I assume you mean by "first world."

Equally, many that don't have a monarch, including some that we'd all agree can be described as "first world" are not that great in lots of things.
The premise that they’re the envy of the world

I’m sure the Swedes/Danes/Norwegians aren’t ‘envious’ of our Royal family and I’m pretty sure most will be ‘indifferent’ to theirs (just as like a lot or folk here were)

Guarantee when their monarch passes through they’ll be having the same conversations.

Of course - there are many places a lot worse off than us no doubt about it

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:50 pm

For someone who doesn't care coolclaret seems to spend a lot of time thinking and posting about the Queen

Corky

Post by Corky » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:57 pm

Andy_G wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:20 am
We don't have a constitution. Just a series of laws and agreements.
It is referred to as an uncodified constitution which puts us on a par with such liberal countries as Saudi Arabia.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:05 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:12 pm
Envy of what world?

Sounds like you want a return to Empire.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:12 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:45 pm
The premise that they’re the envy of the world

I’m sure the Swedes/Danes/Norwegians aren’t ‘envious’ of our Royal family and I’m pretty sure most will be ‘indifferent’ to theirs (just as like a lot or folk here were)

Guarantee when their monarch passes through they’ll be having the same conversations.

Of course - there are many places a lot worse off than us no doubt about it
I didn't mention "envy," Cool. Undoubtedly, it appears that some residents of some other countries do have respect for the late Queen Elizabeth and, possibly also other matters linked to the British monarchy, I don't think it's healthy to think of any country being envious of another countries constitutional arrangements, many have their strengths and also their weaknesses in one context or another.

I lived in Den Haag, Netherlands some years ago. The house I rented was only a short bike ride from the residence of the Netherlands monarch. I was also over in Amsterdam on Koningsdag, 30th April 2018. It's the only day in the year when law Dutch permits drinking alcohol in the streets. I'll not claim the Dutch partying signifies either strong feelings for or against their monarchy. We all enjoy a party.

pureclaret

Post by pureclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:54 pm

Corky wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:57 pm
It is referred to as an uncodified constitution which puts us on a par with such liberal countries as Saudi Arabia.

I think that your staement is partly right but Saudi arabia is not a liberal country,
And the uncodified of the UK is that we dont have a single document for all aspects but rather a series of ones that govern each other, also I beleive that the Saudi Royals Rule Saudi and dictate there will.
This is getting into heavy stuff for a post about our beloved Queen

Corky

Post by Corky » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:03 pm

pureclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:54 pm
I think that your staement is partly right but Saudi arabia is not a liberal country,
And the uncodified of the UK is that we dont have a single document for all aspects but rather a series of ones that govern each other, also I beleive that the Saudi Royals Rule Saudi and dictate there will.
This is getting into heavy stuff for a post about our beloved Queen
I don’t know if you are being deliberately obtuse but that was my point re. the liberal bit. You see I believe we should have a written constitution. And just to correct you, if I may, the queen may well be beloved by you; she most certainly isn’t by me.

pureclaret

Post by pureclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:16 pm

Corky I guessed that you were being sarcastic. And whilst I find it to understand why we cant just write down in one place all the rules and laws that apply to our country there by having a witten constitution.
But unless you are a lawyer I would sugest that to have a written constitution would be difficult to do in the UK due to the way over the centarys we have our unwritten /written constitution set up.
As regards to our Queen you can not correct me as The Queen is beloved by many many people, I feel sorry for you if you cant find it in your heart to have loved her.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:19 pm

pureclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:16 pm
Corky I guessed that you were being sarcastic. And whilst I find it to understand why we cant just write down in one place all the rules and laws that apply to our country there by having a witten constitution.
But unless you are a lawyer I would sugest that to have a written constitution would be difficult to do in the UK due to the way over the centarys we have our unwritten /written constitution set up.
As regards to our Queen you can not correct me as The Queen is beloved by many many people, I feel sorry for you if you cant find it in your heart to have loved her.
You loved the queen? :?

Is it possible to love someone you’ve never met (presuming you haven’t)?

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:40 pm

pureclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:16 pm

My God I'm shocked and dismayed by the likes of Corky's and others comments on here Pure. My daughter has been in London since Monday in a Professional capacity (RAMC) alongside the Police for Crowd Control. Yes you heard right, thousands upon thousands gathering in preparation for Her Majesty's funeral. And not just British, all nationalities who wish to pay their respects and witness this historical occasion. My daughter is in awe of what she is witnessing several days before the funeral.

May God Bless you Ma'm. Thank you for your sterling service to our country and may you Rest In Peace.
These 3 users liked this post: pureclaret lakedistrictclaret RVclaret

pureclaret

Post by pureclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:46 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:19 pm
You loved the queen? :?

Is it possible to love someone you’ve never met (presuming you haven’t)?
Yes I did love her and have seen her in person but not to meet her as in shaking hands. I also love god and jesus but have not as yet seen either of them

I love BFC but have not met any of the new players but have seen them. I believe it is possible to feel love for someone or thing without having to meet or seen.

Corky

Post by Corky » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:10 pm

pureclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:46 pm
Yes I did love her and have seen her in person but not to meet her as in shaking hands. I also love god and jesus but have not as yet seen either of them

I love BFC but have not met any of the new players but have seen them. I believe it is possible to feel love for someone or thing without having to meet or seen.
Do you think you will, in time, grow to love King Charles.

lakedistrictclaret

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:17 pm

I don't really see the point in continuing this thread.
I am not going to be able to change the views of those who regard the Queen's death as an inconvenience that has impacted on their daily routine, and they are certainly not going to be able to change mine.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:23 pm

lakedistrictclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:17 pm
I don't really see the point in continuing this thread.
I am not going to be able to change the views of those who regard the Queen's death as an inconvenience that has impacted on their daily routine, and they are certainly not going to be able to change mine.
I don’t think this thread is about you though.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:26 pm

Personally think anyone who is queuing for hours to catch a brief glimse of the coffin of a woman you've never met is absolutely mental.

lakedistrictclaret

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:34 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:23 pm
I don’t think this thread is about you though.
I know, but I'm not the only one on here who is pro-monarchy and for whom the Queen's death has been a shock
jrgbfc wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:26 pm
Personally think anyone who is queuing for hours to catch a brief glimse of the coffin of a woman you've never met is absolutely mental.
And yet hundreds of thousands of people are doing it

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:37 pm

Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:34 pm
I know, but I'm not the only one on here who is pro-monarchy and for whom the Queen's death has been a shock
Of course, but there are a lot of people who don’t share that view, and it’s interesting to hear thoughts from people with different views don’t you think?

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:38 pm

pureclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:46 pm

It's true. I've fallen in love with a Russian women who chose me to email and ask to be her husband. I've sent her the £5k she needed for the plane ticket but sadly there's still no flights because of the war so I'll just have to be patient.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:44 pm

Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:34 pm
And yet hundreds of thousands of people are doing it
I am curious as to how these people react to the death of someone they actually know.
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by Claret Toni » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:48 pm

I was born between her accession and coronation, so she has been a constant in my life. Although I never met the Queen, she earned my admiration and respect for the way she carried out her duties. There are very few occasions I believe where she was found wanting - not visiting Aberfan immediately following the disaster comes to mind - but in a reign of 70+years, they were very few. I believe the country to be worse off without her than with her.

Just as I have lived virtually throughout the Queen's reign I've also lived almost as long as the new King, and seen the gaffes, meddling and impatience reported of the man. He's not started well - quick to confer new titles on William and his family, slow to confer titles on Prince Harry's family, notices of redundancy to his staff and tiffs over signing a document or 2. It's fair to say I was never best pleased with how he (mis)treated his 1st wife, and if rumours are true, it is he who wondered what colour Harry and Megan's child would be.

Of course, things could be worse, if arrogant Andy was monarch.

So, all in all I'm thankful that, in my opinion, such a kind and thoughtful Queen was the Head of State for the vast majority of my life.

lakedistrictclaret

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:49 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:38 pm
It's true. I've fallen in love with a Russian women who chose me to email and ask to be her husband. I've sent her the £5k she needed for the plane ticket but sadly there's still no flights because of the war so I'll just have to be patient.
I had an e-mail like that once from a woman in Nigeria who wanted to come over for a "hook-up" (whatever that is).
I told her that I was up for it, but she'd have to pay her own air fare. I'm not made of money.
These 2 users liked this post: pureclaret Healeywoodclaret

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:50 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:44 pm
I am curious as to how these people react to the death of someone they actually know.
The thing that maybe you’re not grasping is that many people feel like they did know her.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:54 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:50 pm
The thing that maybe you’re not grasping is that many people feel like they did know her.
Which is weird.

pureclaret

Post by pureclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:05 pm

Healeywoodclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:40 pm
My God I'm shocked and dismayed by the likes of Corky's and others comments on here Pure. My daughter has been in London since Monday in a Professional capacity (RAMC) alongside the Police for Crowd Control. Yes you heard right, thousands upon thousands gathering in preparation for Her Majesty's funeral. And not just British, all nationalities who wish to pay their respects and witness this historical occasion. My daughter is in awe of what she is witnessing several days before the funeral.

May God Bless you Ma'm. Thank you for your sterling service to our country and may you Rest In Peace.
I too can not understand the comments they put on here , common decency to fellow humans who have there view on life and death and how they want to pay there respects.
And in the modern world can i say thank you to your daughter for her service.
Last edited by pureclaret on Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Healeywoodclaret

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:05 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:54 pm
Which is weird.
Hmmm. 5.8bn people out of 6.9bn (84%) around the world are thought to be religious and therefore believe in someone they can’t say they’ve physically met either. Personally I’m not religious but I don’t look on those that are as ‘weird’ - I can see their logic and respect their beliefs.

For me, one of the great things about our Queen was her ability to connect with people, despite how crazily challenging that is. Example - her calming words at Christmas on tv every year always felt like they had a personal touch, even though it’s impossible for her to literally do that when broadcasting to a nation. Another example, I’m sure there are many families who’s parents may have received a letter from her as they turned 100, again a personal touch.

pureclaret

Post by pureclaret » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:07 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:05 pm
Hmmm. 5.8bn people out of 6.9bn (84%) around the world are thought to be religious and therefore believe in someone they can’t say they’ve physically met either. Personally I’m not religious but I don’t look on those that are as ‘weird’ - I can see their logic and respect their beliefs.

For me, one of the great things about our Queen was her ability to connect with people, despite how crazily challenging that is. Example - her calming words at Christmas on tv every year always felt like they had a personal touch, even though it’s impossible for her to literally do that when broadcasting to a nation. Another example, I’m sure there are many families who’s parents may have received a letter from her as they turned 100, again a personal touch.
For me your post is one of the most kind and understanding of there views without calling them weired or even worse comments. Thank you

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 295 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:10 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:50 pm
This is what I am really struggling with and I mean it with sincerity. I am just struggling to relate the sorrow to a woman who I and millions others didn't know, has died.

I am not saying there is anything bad about either perspective, but no one has really explained why their is an emotional attachment.