Scoring goals…January transfer window…what should we do?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Scoring goals…January transfer window…what should we do?

Post by BurnleyPaul » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:15 pm

We obviously have an issue scoring goals, or at least scoring more than one in a game.

We don’t currently seem to be deploying a “number nine” in the traditional sense of the word as Jay Rod is coming very deep and seems to be a “false nine”.

In the short term I think we can muddle through for a little while but this really needs to change in January when the transfer window opens. So do we:

(a) Go back in for Michael Obafemwi
(b) Look to get a VERY highly rated striker in on loan as a stop gap measure until the summer
(c) Recall Weghorst from Turkey
(d) Something else (please specify)

Personally I’d be up for bringing Weghorst back- in this team I think he’d be lethal…

Once the World Cup is over it shouldn’t harm his international career much if he spends the rest of the season in the Championship with us. After all let’s be honest; the only reason he got the agreement that he wouldn’t have to stay and play in the Championship is because his international manager flat out said that anybody not playing in the top league of whatever country they’re playing in wouldn’t even be considered for selection. I can understand his reasoning in these circumstances.

As to how it all came out in the press- he was simply being “Dutch”. He was displaying the traits of his people and I don’t hold it against him.

Everybody else’s thoughts? What would you do?
This user liked this post: Downhamclaret

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Re: Scoring goals…January transfer window…what should we do?

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:19 pm

The last thing we need is someone with no desire to play for us or support his teammates as was evidenced at Watford last season. He needs to stay where he is and we should look elsewhere.

Denno97
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by Denno97 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:31 pm

BurnleyPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:15 pm
We obviously have an issue scoring goals, or at least scoring more than one in a game.

We don’t currently seem to be deploying a “number nine” in the traditional sense of the word as Jay Rod is coming very deep and seems to be a “false nine”.

In the short term I think we can muddle through for a little while but this really needs to change in January when the transfer window opens. So do we:

(b) Look to get a VERY highly rated striker in on loan as a stop gap measure until the summer

Personally I’d be up for bringing Weghorst back- in this team I think he’d be lethal…

Once the World Cup is over it shouldn’t harm his international career much if he spends the rest of the season in the Championship with us. After all let’s be honest; the only reason he got the agreement that he wouldn’t have to stay and play in the Championship is because his international manager flat out said that anybody not playing in the top league of whatever country they’re playing in wouldn’t even be considered for selection. I can understand his reasoning in these circumstances.

As to how it all came out in the press- he was simply being “Dutch”. He was displaying the traits of his people and I don’t hold it against him.

I can’t see Swansea selling Obafemi if they’re around the playoffs. Wouldn’t mind us going back to the Ricoh(or whatever it’s called now) and offering 15m for Gyokeres and O’Hare. They need the cash and think this is the right time to gamble with the league being weak. It’ll be a much tougher test next season.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:43 pm

We need a good back up to Jay, but we also need to tweak the formation up top.
Jay or whoever have to stay nearer the box.

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:09 am

Weghorst can stay where he is. He’s pants.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5094 times
Has Liked: 6919 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:17 am

We need a big powerful mobile forward, we are lacking in this area as is obvious. If it means moving players out so be it and selling what's left of our top players ie Taylor then it's a sacrifice worth making.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1132 times
Has Liked: 302 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:27 am

Isn’t Scott Twine a prolific goal scorer?

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:35 am

I doubt we have a recall clause for Weghorst but agreed in a footballing side he'd be excellent.

Can't believe people are still holding on to his strop at Watford.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:41 am

Nob end foreign fella they have up front , coventrys Gorky park from today or Diaz for a giggle would do me.

Dano1bfc
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Dano1bfc » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:05 am

Jay is 3rd top goalscorer in the league , Brownhill and Tella 4th. Yes we r not battering teams but 1 defeat so far after years under the great man’s managerial reign is remarkable .

We will get better. Remember the first 1/2 season under Sean it was ‘questionable’.

Westy & Twine to come back from injury . The highly rated lad from Brentford as well. On top of that the new attacking players we have eg Benson didn’t look up to it at Watford now dangerous. It takes time for these lads to move club and some cases country and realise potential.

2nd top scorers in the league , 3rd best defence and as we all know a huge amount of possession.

Now’s the time to enjoy watching football at the turf. Not recall players who think they’re bigger than the club. This group of players wil take us a long way as will the new manager.

Good to be on this train as far as I’m concerned.
These 2 users liked this post: Claret Till I Die Juan Tanamera

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4076 times
Has Liked: 1854 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:37 am

Garnerssoap wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:41 am
Nob end foreign fella they have up front , coventrys Gorky park from today or Diaz for a giggle would do me.
And now in English please.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1511 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:52 am

I’d have Weghorst all day long in this team.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3174 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:29 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:52 am
by far the cheapest option if we have the power of recall - particularly if the claimed loan finances (wages only) are correct. Whether he is the right option is a debate I will not get into.

the upfront cost for a desirable and pacy alternative will likely mean we have to sell before we buy, though that money is also needed to meet the final £21m stage payments next year (assuming that Pace and co, managed to find the £20m - £25m they were scheduled to pay at the end of September).

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1491 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:14 am

Weghorst is a waste of space. Bad attitude and not exactly pulling up trees in a weak Turkish league
I would go in for Gyokeres at Coventry or a loan deal for Danny Ings often on the bench at Villa but still lethal.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:05 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:14 am
Weghorst is a waste of space. Bad attitude and not exactly pulling up trees in a weak Turkish league
I would go in for Gyokeres at Coventry or a loan deal for Danny Ings often on the bench at Villa but still lethal.
The same Weghorst who recorded a record number of presses in the league for a centre forward vs Newcastle?

Did you remember how he played? You don't have excellent work rate if you have a bad attitude.

But I get it. He's the pantomime villain because he didn't celebrate our win at Watford. He's inhuman and not allowed to be upset for being subbed off and we must continuously remind ourselves that and judge his entire attitude based on a single moment.

He would wreck this league in this team.
These 11 users liked this post: chekhov Quicknick bobinho Cooclaret MeeActon1 GodIsADeeJay81 NewClaret Vino blanco Burnley Ace CJW The Hung Juror

bobinho
Been Liked: 4110 times
Has Liked: 6593 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:15 am

I think the window isn’t the answer to our (relative) lack of goals.

How about we alter the mindset of the players a little by suggesting the first thought in their minds should they find themselves in the 18 yard box with the ball is to shoot as opposed to offloading. Pass only if the shot isn’t on. At the moment it’s almost as if they’ve been told not to shoot unless they are in the 6 yard box.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:46 am

I'll tell you what, when the ball is played wide, other players get into the box to receive the cross. We can bring in Haarland, it will make no difference if he is instructed to stay away from the penalty area and goal scoring positions

Ric_C
Been Liked: 756 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:54 am

Bet Twine is licking his lips watching us play. So much space to have a pop on the edge of the box, which is his speciality

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:00 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:14 am
Danny Ings, on loan from Villa. I love a dream as much as the next bloke but I think this is a dream too far!

Wout would be top draw in this team. Also, really good to see Roberts out of the side. I feel it makes us balanced.

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:00 am

gtclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:46 am
I'll tell you what, when the ball is played wide, other players get into the box to receive the cross. We can bring in Haarland, it will make no difference if he is instructed to stay away from the penalty area and goal scoring positions
Jay is one of the top scorers in the league. Put your soap box down for a second pal.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:14 am

Garnerssoap wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:41 am
Brereton would be brilliant - and hilarious. Emil Riis from Preston could be another shout.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 547 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:18 am

What’s wrong with Dervisoglu? Is he injured?
Jay looks like he needs a rest, but as the team gets better he will too and I think he’s well within reach of 20 goals this season

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:32 am

Cooclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:00 am
Jay is one of the top scorers in the league. Put your soap box down for a second pal.
Jay has 5 in 11, and he's not played the whole 90 in most of those appearances.
Tella has 5 in 12.
Brownhill has 4 in 14.

And the midfield and defence has chipped in here and there when needed which is why we have 9 different goal scorers already

We've bagged 20 in 13, and scored in 12 of those 13, plus we did everything but score at Watford, so for me it's keeping clean sheets that's our bigger issue. Start regularly keeping the back door shut and we'll likely bag at least one to seal the points.

The real concern is how do we cope if Jay gets a bad injury, and this probably explains why VK is managing his minutes carefully as Jay is one of the players we can ill afford to lose for a lengthy period.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:38 am

Weghorst couldn’t hit a cow’s ar5e with a banjo when it was needed last season. If he had done his job we wouldn’t be in the Championship now.

He has 3 in 9 playing in an absolute pub league. I wouldn’t be banking on him converting chances in big playoff game or in games against our nearest rivals. Strikers are not judged on how many presses they do just how many goals they are involved in. Besiktas have only played two decent teams in those 9 games and of course he managed the square root of nothing in those games.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:44 am

superdimitri wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:05 am
The same Weghorst who recorded a record number of presses in the league for a centre forward vs Newcastle?

Did you remember how he played? You don't have excellent work rate if you have a bad attitude.

But I get it. He's the pantomime villain because he didn't celebrate our win at Watford. He's inhuman and not allowed to be upset for being subbed off and we must continuously remind ourselves that and judge his entire attitude based on a single moment.

He would wreck this league in this team.
We signed a centre forward for £12 million, he had an identical scoring record to Connor Roberts and you're acting like his strop at Watford is the only reason to think he had a crap attitude. The bloke is a dreadful footballer.
These 2 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret tiger76

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:56 am

Hibsclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:38 am
Weghorst couldn’t hit a cow’s ar5e with a banjo when it was needed last season. If he had done his job we wouldn’t be in the Championship now.

He has 3 in 9 playing in an absolute pub league. I wouldn’t be banking on him converting chances in big playoff game or in games against our nearest rivals. Strikers are not judged on how many presses they do just how many goals they are involved in. Besiktas have only played two decent teams in those 9 games and of course he managed the square root of nothing in those games.
If the entire team and management had done their job we wouldn’t be in the championship now. Absolutely ridiculous the amount of **** he gets from Burnley fans.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3607 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:04 am

Weghorst was gash, but he would suit this teams play I feel. For a massive bloke he couldn’t win a header - but in this system it would be into his feet and I imagine he’d look a bit more at home. Not the answer though, for me. The team seems to have a good dressing room and he (appears) to be a bit of an unknown in this regard, is it worth the possible disruption to see if he even fancies it (I doubt he wants to come back).

I strongly suspect that assuming both are fit that Obafemi and O’Hare will be the targeted players in January, depending on what happens with Twine and Dervisoglu.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 864 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:08 am

We need a striker. Anyone who thinks Weghorst is the answer will be in the minority. Besides he doesn’t want to play in the Chsmpionship which isn’t a great start. Personally would prefer someone who’s more mobile and who can head a ball.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:08 am

Must have been a different Wout Weghorst who scored 59 goals in that well known pub league, the Bundesliga.

Anyway, it’s all moot because it isn’t going to happen. There’s no chance we’re signing Obafemi now imo. Might have to be another abroad option.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:26 am

bobinho wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:15 am
I think the window isn’t the answer to our (relative) lack of goals.

How about we alter the mindset of the players a little by suggesting the first thought in their minds should they find themselves in the 18 yard box with the ball is to shoot as opposed to offloading. Pass only if the shot isn’t on. At the moment it’s almost as if they’ve been told not to shoot unless they are in the 6 yard box.
I don’t think anyone we could afford to sign at the moment would improve us dramatically. In my opinion we need to:

- play faster through midfield. We often take 3 passes where one might do and the opposition have got in shape across the other side. Not every time but certainly when we have a chance to break.

- take more risks and get more players in to the box. Often Benson, etc pass backwards but that’s because everyone is camped outside the box.

- maybe change shape/players to find our best system. I think our midfield 3 are outstanding but not the most creative. Admittedly, this will be easier when Darko/Twine/Westy are back. I don’t think we’ve found our best team yet.
This user liked this post: bobinho

houseboy
Been Liked: 2242 times
Has Liked: 1619 times

Post by houseboy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:27 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:52 am
Agreed. He came to us with a great pedigree but couldn’t fit in with Dyche-ball. He would I believe be lethal in this team but I don’t know if we have a recall clause or even if he would come back.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:33 am

houseboy wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:27 am
Agreed. He came to us with a great pedigree but couldn’t fit in with Dyche-ball. He would I believe be lethal in this team but I don’t know if we have a recall clause or even if he would come back.
Both I suspect - his ego would be too big to come back (and he is playing in an amazing stadium), plus can’t imagine besiktas would’ve allowed such a clause/we could pay his wages.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4844 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:39 am

Sign Obafemi.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:41 am

jdrobbo wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:39 am
Sign Obafemi.
Swansea are not going to sell Obafemi to us now. We’re essentially a rival to them in the league.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:42 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:33 am
Both I suspect - his ego would be too big to come back (and he is playing in an amazing stadium), plus can’t imagine besiktas would’ve allowed such a clause/we could pay his wages.
You’re probably right, he left under too much of a cloud really and he is a a very big club now.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:45 am

Sign Gyokeres. Perfect for our system.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:23 pm

RammyClaret61 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:27 am
Isn’t Scott Twine a prolific goal scorer?
Scott twine scored 20 goals and had 13 assists last season, in a league below, exceptional by any standards. However playing a league above you could likely expect maybe a return of 30% less, so could be reduced down to around 13 and 9 ?? No guarantee on this of course, but just a guess. Which would still be a great return, however it worries me the number of games he's now been missing, the word is he's injured, but no report's of what he's injury is, the length of time out suggests it's something quite serious, but the silence regarding he's type of injury is rather a mystery imo. But also and more importantly he's not an out and out number 9, which is what we're missing in my opinion, but would be great to see him on the pitch, will it happen, who knows. Lots of unanswered questions.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:33 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:44 am
We signed a centre forward for £12 million, he had an identical scoring record to Connor Roberts and you're acting like his strop at Watford is the only reason to think he had a crap attitude. The bloke is a dreadful footballer.
I can only go by what I've read on here. As for goalscoring, he can clearly knock them in at high level in the Bundesliga, so I doubt it would be a problem in the championship.
I didn't see a dreadful footballer in him at all, I can't fathom how you can think that with the career that he's had.

The hatred is just OTT and without reason. It's honestly funny at times.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Yanquiclaret
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Yanquiclaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:51 pm

Everyone needs to calm down. We are the second top scorers in this league and the only team to have lost once. We have players who were bought to score some who haven’t played yet. How about we wait and see what they can do?
These 4 users liked this post: Quicknick randomclaret2 Juan Tanamera COBBLE

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2477 times
Has Liked: 2014 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:35 pm

I’d like to have a look at Twine, Dervisoglu and Churlinov before I vote but I did ask for Obafemi before he’d been mentioned so another attempt for him wouldn’t upset me.
This user liked this post: COBBLE

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 170 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:41 pm

I think we should wait until its January

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:44 pm

Weghorst would score 20 a season in championship with the players around him we have now

But i still dont want to see him at the turf again

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1220 times
Has Liked: 7211 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:49 pm

Yanquiclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:51 pm
Everyone needs to calm down. We are the second top scorers in this league and the only team to have lost once. We have players who were bought to score some who haven’t played yet. How about we wait and see what they can do?
Well said, Vinnie.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:50 pm

We seem to have a good connection with City due to VK. Be interesting to see if we could get Haaland on a loan. They don’t really need him. He might be okay for us and could maybe add 10/12 goals over the season.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2944 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:56 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:41 pm
I think we should wait until its January
Perhaps we should get some bespoke advent type calendars made.
Each window has a chocolate and photo of a possible signing inside.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2759 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:27 pm

BurnleyPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:15 pm

We're the 2nd highest scorers in the League. The top scorers have scored 1 more than us.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10101 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:39 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:44 am
Weghorst is clearly not everybody's cup of tea on here, but to say he is a dreadful footballer?
Good grief.

jen1066
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by jen1066 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:42 pm

The other day I said that as fans we have the least football knowledge of the entire football league.

Read this thread.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:53 pm

Keep the powder dry imo, spend it next year in the PL when we can attract a better quality of player.

GrahamBranchsPerm
Been Liked: 74 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by GrahamBranchsPerm » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:03 pm

WW is a decent enough footballer. Worked very hard on the pitch. All round game was good. Scoring in the Prem not great, but only Cornet did well there.

He's not coming back, and I get those who don't want him back (I'm ambivalent), but let's not mix up being outspoken (the Dutch way) with being **** at football. He's not **** at football.

UTC
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Quicknick