Birmingham v Burnley match thread

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Re: Birmingham v Burnley match thread

Post by Commy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:02 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:59 pm
Poor from VK - needs to recognise that we can play 5 subs - lots of players looked jaded and needed replacing. How to take a throw in should be top of the list for the next training session as well
Don't Liverpool have a throw in coach? Maybe we should think about that :) .

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3125 times
Has Liked: 3865 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:02 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:56 pm
Maatsen also a big miss , id say 70% of our decent attacks come from his direct play , without him we look totally devoid of creativity
Really, really hope he wasn’t “rested” tonight and the knock is the management justification.

Vits - who has been outstanding imo - was poor tonight. The way I see the game, you only need small downgrades to really upset the rhythm and I felt that happened tonight.

Commy

Post by Commy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:03 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:02 pm
Really, really hope he wasn’t “rested” tonight and the knock is the management justification.

Vits - who has been outstanding imo - was poor tonight. The way I see the game, you only need small downgrades to really upset the rhythm and I felt that happened tonight.
But they will get used to playing with different players and different formations. It just takes time with new players.
This user liked this post: Cubanforever

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:04 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:02 pm

I don’t think our players are comfortable with three at the back and whatever their supposed to be doing in midfield as no one in there even got near the ball tonight. Hopefully whatever that formation was is scrapped from now on.

Keep it simple like against Swansea.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3814 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:07 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:58 pm
Rubbish, they pressed as well as any team has all season, their midfield 3 were very impressive, full of energy and decent enough with the ball. Hannibal was probably the best player on the pitch despite his theatrics.
they're a poor side, will be fortunate to stay in this division. We made it easy for them. We were stuck in gear 2 again, zero tempo to our play, sloppy with the ball. Another draw and another nothing performance like Cardiff, PNE. Frustrating because we're capable of so much more, if we play at 50% we beat this lot easily tonight. Just so flat and nothingness

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:12 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:07 pm
they're a poor side, will be fortunate to stay in this division. We made it easy for them. We were stuck in gear 2 again, zero tempo to our play, sloppy with the ball. Another draw and another nothing performance like Cardiff, PNE. Frustrating because we're capable of so much more, if we play at 50% we beat this lot easily tonight. Just so flat and nothingness
They have the 2nd best defence in the league and won 4 out of their last 7. One of the leagues form teams. Yes we were sloppy, the shocking bobbly pitch didn’t help but neither did some of our woeful switching of play all night, did we find a man on a single one of them. Obviously playing as we did against Swansea raises expectations of going and doing it again but Birmingham played a lot better than Swans did.
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan Taffy on the wing

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:14 pm

Amazing that some folks are still moaning when we're unbeaten in 12, yes disappointing to lose another lead so late, but a decent point after winning our last 2 and keeps our run going.

By all accounts we weren't at our best yet still came away with a useful point against a side in form.

If you can't win then at least ensure you take something from the game and generally that's what we've done all season.

SydneyClaret
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by SydneyClaret » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:15 pm

Jeez. We got a draw away to a team that’s only lost 1 game in their last 8. Seems some on here won’t be satisfied unless we won 4-0 every game.

Commy

Post by Commy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:16 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:07 pm
I think they pressed us more than anyone else has. Every time we had the ball they had 3 men round us. This seemed to scare us and we didn't look confident until the second half. They definitely attacked Vitinho from the start and he ended up being scared to accept the ball. I just hope they do the same at Rovers on Saturday. I feel teams are raising their game because it's Burnley.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:18 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:12 pm
They have the 2nd best defence in the league and won 4 out of their last 7. One of the leagues form teams. Yes we were sloppy, the shocking bobbly pitch didn’t help but neither did some of our woeful switching of play all night, did we find a man on a single one of them. Obviously playing as we did against Swansea raises expectations of going and doing it again but Birmingham played a lot better than Swans did.
I mean how many games are we going to draw whilst stuck with the handbrake on whilst praising our opponents for our own limp performance? Cut the bs, if we play quite well tonight we win that game easily, we were poor and took a point (which I guess is a positive).

Burnley87
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Burnley87 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:19 pm

If anyone actually thinks Birmingham will go down this season you need your heads testing. With the Lads they have up front (All have decent records at this level) and quality Premier League loan players they will be a game for most teams this season
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 6788 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:19 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:14 pm
Amazing that some folks are still moaning when we're unbeaten in 12, yes disappointing to lose another lead so late, but a decent point after winning our last 2 and keeps our run going.

By all accounts we weren't at our best yet still came away with a useful point against a side in form.

If you can't win then at least ensure you take something from the game and generally that's what we've done all season.
Yes, we were not at our best.
I give credit to Birmingham, they bettered us for large periods of the game.
Bettered but not battered...on to the weekend in a positive mood :)
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan Taffy on the wing

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:24 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:18 pm
I mean how many games are we going to draw whilst stuck with the handbrake on whilst praising our opponents for our own limp performance? Cut the bs, if we play quite well tonight we win that game easily, we were poor and took a point (which I guess is a positive).
We all know we need to turn draws into wins at some point.

I think a few things need to occur for that:

- more time, VK alluded to having a second pre season (World Cup) will do wonders for them
- a different option upfront, Dervisoglu doesn’t seem fancied for whatever reason
- Twine and Churlinov back, the only two players capable of playing between the lines

If we can still be positioned where we are heading into the second half of the season I’ll be very optimistic.

Patience.
These 4 users liked this post: boatshed bill Zlatan tiger76 Taffy on the wing

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:27 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:14 pm

We do seem to be making the same defensive mistakes without learning from previous ones which a big concern. Even against Swansea & Coventry we gifted both teams easy opportunities to score at least one easy goal, which fortunately neither team took.

Jeffbfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by Jeffbfc » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:27 pm

For me a good point, a few teams will loose at Brum, and with another away game coming up.
UTC

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:37 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:27 pm
We do seem to be making the same defensive mistakes without learning from previous ones which a big concern. Even against Swansea & Coventry we gifted both teams easy opportunities to score at least one easy goal, which fortunately neither team took.
Why don't you give some credit to the teams putting us under that sort of pressure?
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:39 pm

How many teams have scored more than us?

How many teams have conceded fewer than us?

We’re not doing as bad as many seem to be making out.

Room for improvement, yes, but we’re not terrible FFS

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:41 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:12 pm
The defensive stat has cheered me up. :D

On Brum, they probably impressed me most of the teams I’ve seen this season so do feel we should give them credit.

Do worry we’re tampering with a winning formula though & hope to see the Swansea back four at Sunderland.

dansch
Been Liked: 35 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by dansch » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:43 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:49 pm
Feel like I've seen that match 100 times, same mistakes, same lack of tempo, same team, same problems.

Are we just going to concede every time a team crosses from our left hand side whilst Vitinho is at left back? Can we just not win 1-0? Why is Rodriguez playing in midfield? Come off the pitch having played at tempo for like 5-10 minutes max, the rest at snails pace.
Crikey you've quickly changed your tune from the 'Dyche wanted' thread. I thought you'd waited tour whole life to see us play this exciting brand of football? 🤣

Flying Without Ings
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Flying Without Ings » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:45 pm

Norwich, Sheff Utd and Watford lost at Birmingham and plenty of teams have or will struggle there this season.

We were poor but they were an organised team. Tella had a rare off game and I thought we missed Maatsen, more so because I think Vitinho is best at LB. We also missed Beyer’s driving runs.

Sheffield Utd and Norwich both lost, who I expect to be our main challengers this season. QPR gone top but look set to lose their manager and Blackburn are crap.

It’s not the end of the world.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1513 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:48 pm

Flying Without Ings wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:45 pm
Norwich, Sheff Utd and Watford lost at Birmingham and plenty of teams have or will struggle there this season.

We were poor but they were an organised team. Tella had a rare off game and I thought we missed Maatsen, more so because I think Vitinho is best at LB. We also missed Beyer’s driving runs.

Sheffield Utd and Norwich both lost, who I expect to be our main challengers this season. QPR gone top but look set to lose their manager and Blackburn are crap.

It’s not the end of the world.
Norwich won at Birmingham.

Bowclaret
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bowclaret » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:52 pm

One defeat all season and we should have won that. 1 goal conceded in 3 games. We blew Swansea away last week playing football from the gods against a real form side. 3 rd in the league with a brilliant young side. A fantastic Manager and the best fans in the league.

Patience my fellow Clarets - Patience !
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill tiger76

Flying Without Ings
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Flying Without Ings » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:52 pm

Sorry I meant to say held Sheffield and Watford. Beat WBA away who I still think are a decent outfit based on their showing against us. Also meant to say Vitinho is best at RB… should really proof read before posting!
This user liked this post: Swizzlestick

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2014 times
Has Liked: 1159 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:58 pm

How many points will we get from next two games ? Min has to be 4

BigGaz
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by BigGaz » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:09 pm

There were no bogeymen, no huge failings, no themes to take away. We just met an in-form side with a good defence and a draw was probably the fair result.

What more can you say other than it was an average performance, take the point and move on?

The only real learning here is for the fans. Don’t get carried away, realise that we are not the finished article and that we have no Devine right to expect to turn up at places across the country and expect people to roll over for us.

NEXT.
These 6 users liked this post: boatshed bill NewClaret Taffy on the wing Zlatan longsidepies tiger76

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:24 pm

Re the fans BigGaz, thought the away lads were brilliant AGAIN!

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1241 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:26 pm

No way that Brum team gets relegated. I think they are the best team we have played so far which is great news. Even more reason to be confident of finishing top.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:35 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:26 pm
No way that Brum team gets relegated. I think they are the best team we have played so far which is great news. Even more reason to be confident of finishing top.
Not sure they are the best team we've played, but they certainly gave us a better game in that they worked on our weaknesses.

BigGaz
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by BigGaz » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:38 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:24 pm
Re the fans BigGaz, thought the away lads were brilliant AGAIN!
Very true mate, you can set your watch on our away lot turning up. Safe travels back to you all, god bless.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:39 am

dansch wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:43 pm
Crikey you've quickly changed your tune from the 'Dyche wanted' thread. I thought you'd waited tour whole life to see us play this exciting brand of football? 🤣
I love this team, I love VK, I love the style. My disappointment tonight will be the same as VKs, we were really flat, we are capable of so much more, we've shown that against better sides than Brum. It's another 2 points thrown away from a winning position, late in the day.

It will take alot more than a few flat performances to alter my overall view on VK and this team though, do not get that twisted.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:44 am

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:24 pm

- more time, VK alluded to having a second pre season (World Cup) will do wonders for them
- a different option upfront, Dervisoglu doesn’t seem fancied for whatever reason
- Twine and Churlinov back, the only two players capable of playing between the lines

If we can still be positioned where we are heading into the second half of the season I’ll be very optimistic.

Patience.
Agree with everything you said, don't confuse my disappointment with a flat performance tonight with a lack of patience in the project/team.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 160 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:48 am

I think it was a good point against a Dyche type of team in our faces , but we were not brave enough until the second half . We are still unbeaten in 12 games so keep backing the lads and roll on Sunderland. UTC 👍

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:33 am

They had 3 target men on the pitch but we kept Vitinho and Roberts in defence.
Taylor should have cut out the cross and our game management when ahead was awful.
We bought into their set piece game plan and gave away petty fouls. Ref didn't help us either.

We need to keep the ball better when ahead and frustrate teams. We should be buying the free kicks not the other way round.

Fair play to Birmingham though, they deserved the point.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1495 times
Has Liked: 1854 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:31 am

Why Dara Costelloe was not in the squad is beyond me.Hes a young guy and capable of a least 30mins after his splendid hat trick v Coventry U21
His pace power and energy would have won this game rather than us giving away another 2 points to a very average side VK talks about utilising all out squad. Last night he needed to do so ,not accept another weak surrender of points.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 670 times
Has Liked: 2057 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:08 am

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:24 pm

Patience.
Good points. Think we also need to get a lot more savvy with regards to seeing out games when we're only one goal ahead for the days when we aren't firing offensively.
This user liked this post: RVclaret