Police crackdown on illegal streaming of PL football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Police crackdown on illegal streaming of PL football

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:51 am

https://twitter.com/johncrossmirror/sta ... u6XoA&s=19

Wonder if some on here will get a knock on the door from the police...

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1158 times
Has Liked: 1076 times

Re: Police crackdown on illegal streaming of PL football

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:58 am

BS, They will have to have 1000's of warrants for, the court's wouldn't issue them for a start

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 278 times
Has Liked: 3308 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:04 pm

I'll be ok this year I'm not watching the PL 😂 just ifollow
This user liked this post: Bosscat

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1773 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:04 pm

"They have identified customers from a huge database in a major ongoing criminal investigation and will knock on the doors of people to warn they could also face prosecution."

The Police know this is a waste of time; they'll just print some leaflets and post them through the doors of random houses.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:20 pm

Seems to be the same story each year. Nobody wants to prosecute the end user but they want to get the suppliers of these streams.

At the end of the day, it's going to be like what Napster did for music where eventually its going to be legitimised and accepted that they can't beat them so may as well join them and come up with a way of giving people what they want.

I pay for Sky including Sky football so I can watch Burnley if they are on there and are playing away.
I am a season ticket holder and pay them to watch home games.
I pay for a tv licence to watch live tv if they are on non-sky channels

I don't go to many away games these days but I will use a stream to watch the games

I am not depriving Sky or anyone else of any revenue as a result as they get there £60-70 a month from me
I am not depriving the club of any revenue as they get my ST money and spend on concourse/shirts etc (other than I am not using their streaming system for these away games - which I would if I had faith in it working properly).

You see each week on here, you can access a stream direct from your browser on your phone/laptop and computer. Hesgoal went down and was relaunched as hesgoaltv. Its like playing whackamole.

The sooner the game wakes up to the fact that the way to win this war is to offer a good value for money solution for people to use then a demand for these sites will continue. The fear of falling crowds, impact on lower leagues are all valid but that is why it needs a proper solution that is fair and well thought out.

However I think we learned from lockdown that the value for money question is always debatable and if something can be accessed for free/almost free then people would be hard to move away from this but I would happily give my £60 (and a little bit more if needed) a year to the club if I could get a reliable system to watch through them and knowing that its keeping the club and the game going. I can't give them this money without circumnavigating the system so what do you do?

All the above posts of threats of prosecution are designed to get people spreading fear in hope that people will stop at the risk of being caught. I even have seen people on twitter recently - like a club owner and an ex-employee of a club asking for streams to watch.

If the game is that worried about the impacts that this has on the game - do something properly about it. Problem is that each club works in silo and they won't support the smaller clubs to make it financially equal. We have seen lots of comments from the owner at Accy Stan who says the bigger clubs want bigger shares so this isn't just a premier league issue either.
These 5 users liked this post: Bosscat GodIsADeeJay81 tiger76 Duffer_ Frenchclaret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:42 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:20 pm
Seems to be the same story each year. Nobody wants to prosecute the end user but they want to get the suppliers of these streams.

At the end of the day, it's going to be like what Napster did for music where eventually its going to be legitimised and accepted that they can't beat them so may as well join them and come up with a way of giving people what they want.

I pay for Sky including Sky football so I can watch Burnley if they are on there and are playing away.
I am a season ticket holder and pay them to watch home games.
I pay for a tv licence to watch live tv if they are on non-sky channels

I don't go to many away games these days but I will use a stream to watch the games

I am not depriving Sky or anyone else of any revenue as a result as they get there £60-70 a month from me
I am not depriving the club of any revenue as they get my ST money and spend on concourse/shirts etc (other than I am not using their streaming system for these away games - which I would if I had faith in it working properly).

You see each week on here, you can access a stream direct from your browser on your phone/laptop and computer. Hesgoal went down and was relaunched as hesgoaltv. Its like playing whackamole.

The sooner the game wakes up to the fact that the way to win this war is to offer a good value for money solution for people to use then a demand for these sites will continue. The fear of falling crowds, impact on lower leagues are all valid but that is why it needs a proper solution that is fair and well thought out.

However I think we learned from lockdown that the value for money question is always debatable and if something can be accessed for free/almost free then people would be hard to move away from this but I would happily give my £60 (and a little bit more if needed) a year to the club if I could get a reliable system to watch through them and knowing that its keeping the club and the game going. I can't give them this money without circumnavigating the system so what do you do?

All the above posts of threats of prosecution are designed to get people spreading fear in hope that people will stop at the risk of being caught. I even have seen people on twitter recently - like a club owner and an ex-employee of a club asking for streams to watch.

If the game is that worried about the impacts that this has on the game - do something properly about it. Problem is that each club works in silo and they won't support the smaller clubs to make it financially equal. We have seen lots of comments from the owner at Accy Stan who says the bigger clubs want bigger shares so this isn't just a premier league issue either.
Same here ch ... I have a season ticket and Sky (well NOW TV but its Sky innit) sports ... I used to go to a lot of away games when my Brother still alive but haven't been away for a couple of years now and watch away games on streams or on't TV if Sky are showing them ...
This user liked this post: clarethomer

Gaia
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Gaia » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:45 pm

It's about protecting the interests of TV corporations. Burglary detection rates are ridiculously low and the police put their resources into this.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:50 pm

If they disturb me while I'm watching the mighty Clarets, they will get both barrels.
These 4 users liked this post: HiThere AGENT_CLARET GodIsADeeJay81 longsidepies

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:12 pm

Can't believe anyone still listens to this. I'm sure it's just a press release from Sky that gets churned out every year.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:20 pm

How about people just smoke less, eat fewer pies and cut down on drinking so they can afford to pay £30+pm for a Now Sports subscription?

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:22 pm

The report states that two people were locked up for watching telly. They were locked up for making software to enable access to subscription content.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:24 pm

Exactly.. it's about as likely as getting locked up for taping the Top 40 back in the day.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32549 times
Has Liked: 5281 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:40 pm

I've only ever watched one football match on an illegal stream and that was our pre-season friendly at Blackpool in July 2021. I couldn't attend that game due to a serious family health situation. My reward for daring to do that, and naively placing the link on this board, was to receive a nasty, threatening email from the chairman of Burnley Football Club.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3812 times
Has Liked: 12499 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:03 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:40 pm
I've only ever watched one football match on an illegal stream and that was our pre-season friendly at Blackpool in July 2021. I couldn't attend that game due to a serious family health situation. My reward for daring to do that, and naively placing the link on this board, was to receive a nasty, threatening email from the chairman of Burnley Football Club.
Tony - As it was an away game, why did he feel that he needed to contact you?

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:10 pm

the televised sports packages are way out of the affordable range for many people.
So a stream pops up, its your team away, who wouldn't tap into it ?
Touch of a button brings up your game.
These main providers charge a kings ransom to provide nattering pundits who appear on every other network on a regular cycle, interspersed with betting adverts and alcohol adverts.
They have no scruples or ethics, so small wonder the poverty stricken fans will take whatever they can.
This user liked this post: Clovius Boofus

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:12 pm

I don’t actually know anyone who has been done for illegal streaming. I have done it in the past but only for foreign games and the occasional film. Don’t do it now. I do know a bloke a few years ago who got some kind of a ban for organising large scale streaming but I don’t think there was a fine involved. As people say it’s a bit of a damp squib threat really, although if Sky could get people done I’m sure they would, anything to protect their ill gotten gains. It’s like when they try their damnedest to prevent people leaving. Come Feb I’m done with them. Don’t need the awful company any more. Good product but seriously rip off prices.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:19 pm

BigChaCha wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:20 pm
How about people just smoke less, eat fewer pies and cut down on drinking so they can afford to pay £30+pm for a Now Sports subscription?
Most people have all the sports packages, so not costing them anything.

It's the 3pm games that you can't watch or buy.

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:22 pm

Knock knock knock

Hello it’s the police, we think there is illegal streaming going on inside can we come in and check?

No

Ok, thanks, bye.
These 3 users liked this post: HiThere bobinho Accrington claret

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:25 pm

Have you finally come about the burglary we had three months ago?

No, we've come about a football match you watch last week.
This user liked this post: bobinho

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:26 pm

You occasionally hear of pubs getting into trouble for streaming games via some overseas satellite broadcast.

And win their cases in court:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... reece.html

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:00 pm

When I worked at Sky we were told that we had to fill in a form if any Sky subscriber mentioned that they used IPTV etc….did I ever fill one in….not a chance!!

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:02 pm

Glad to hear that they're cracking down on the hard stuff.

They'll be using the excuse that it funds people trafficking or drugs but that's not really the issue is it

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:07 pm

I don't watch illegal streams myself, however footy needs to wake up and realise in 2023 there should be a viable legal way for fans to pay to watch matches, this would ultimately benefit the clubs as many of those paying would be doing so as for whatever reason they aren't able to attend games in person.

If there was a legal high quality stream available I would be more than happy to subscribe as I can only manage to a couple of home matches a season.

Though hearing about the problems with Clarets+ recently it doesn't fill me with confidence.

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:53 pm

Its very questionable as to whether its illegal watching streams. They try to make it sound like it is, but like any copyright issue, its the distribution that is illegal, not the consumption. Thats why they can go after pubs broadcasting a game, or a market trader selling hooky DVDs but not someone sat at home watching them.

MancunianClaret
Been Liked: 175 times
Has Liked: 322 times

Post by MancunianClaret » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:58 pm

I always try to watch via legal means, but sometimes a paid option just isn't available.

For any users wishing to protect their privacy and avoid a knock on the door, you should consider using a VPN to obfuscate your location and identity (also just a good security/privacy move in general). You can learn more about VPN's here: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/business ... use-a-vpn/

Leon_C
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Leon_C » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:06 pm

MancunianClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:58 pm
you should consider using a VPN to obfuscate your location and identity (also just a good security/privacy move in general).
Definitely good for privacy and such, but, in the context of the police investigation, useless if your friendly Firestick merchant has been busted with your name and address...

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:11 pm

My father in law recently had a new internet connection fitted. The technician turned up 2 hours early and caught him on the hop having not been able to move his ‘dodgy box’ before he got there.

My father in law apologised and the technician said “don’t worry mate, I’ll hard wire it in for you as well while I’m here so you don’t lose any bandwidth over WI-FI” and proceeded to run an Ethernet cable into the back of it from his new router.

Tremendous service😂
This user liked this post: box_of_frogs

MancunianClaret
Been Liked: 175 times
Has Liked: 322 times

Post by MancunianClaret » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:21 pm

Leon_C wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:06 pm
Definitely good for privacy and such, but, in the context of the police investigation, useless if your friendly Firestick merchant has been busted with your name and address...
I'd suggest that evidence would be circumstantial rather than proof of anything - you could have purchased and not used it, someone else could have used your name/address, you could be using the firestick to stream legally etc.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:23 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:11 pm
My father in law recently had a new internet connection fitted. The technician turned up 2 hours early and caught him on the hop having not been able to move his ‘dodgy box’ before he got there.

My father in law apologised and the technician said “don’t worry mate, I’ll hard wire it in for you as well while I’m here so you don’t lose any bandwidth over WI-FI” and proceeded to run an Ethernet cable into the back of it from his new router.

Tremendous service😂
It was the rogue Virgin/Nynex are whoever it was back then, engineers who started selling dodgy boxes in the first place.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:27 pm

Weren't Sky implemented in somehow encouraging illegal streaming of ITV Digital football that partly led to the latter's failure, or am I imagining that.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:29 pm

I think I’ve read the same regurgitated article every year for the past 10+.

I’d take it with a huge pinch of salt.

There’ll be no diversion of frontline resources away to ‘deal’ with this.

There are millions watching illegal streams, so if anyone gets a knock on the door, I imagine it will be those individuals involved in the commission and distribution side of things, if anything.

Claret86
Been Liked: 24 times

Post by Claret86 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:47 pm

Cancelled my sky sports during covid as I grew bored with football and how boring it was without a crowd (constant play acting, cheating etc) and didn't really miss it.
I've had a season ticket for 15 years and go on a few away games (work and child depending)
£55 a year for iptv and it works reasonably well, if it fails I'll listen to us on the radio but otherwise I don't have a massive interest in watching other teams

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5211 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:35 pm

The article is about people who have bought a modified Android Box or Firestick but that is a bit old school and the days of people having to buy it with all the doggy stuff pre-loaded is long gone.

I watch my IPTV through my TV cos its a Sony with Android so I just download an app from Google Play and then I have the ID, Username and Password to access the content. I can also watch it through a web link on my laptop if im on the move.

I have an old Android box I dont really use but even with that I bought it as a basic Android box with just the legal stuff loaded on it from a proper business seller

As others have said this is more scare story stuff but if they go after anyone it will be the people advertising and selling dodgy boxes and their customers or businesses like pubs and WMC's showing it to groups of people.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:00 pm

I see no issue with illegal streaming,

You can pay for BT sports, Sky Sports, DAZN, Clarets+ (or the club equivalent), Premier Sports, Amazon Prime and have a season ticket. You still won't be able to watch your team play every game, that's the game's fault. Fans want to watch every game, not just the odd drip fed game from incredibly expensive subscriptions.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2942 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:03 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:11 pm

Tremendous service😂
Hard wired is better than WiFi, much more stable.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:28 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:00 pm
I see no issue with illegal streaming,

You can pay for BT sports, Sky Sports, DAZN, Clarets+ (or the club equivalent), Premier Sports, Amazon Prime and have a season ticket. You still won't be able to watch your team play every game, that's the game's fault. Fans want to watch every game, not just the odd drip fed game from incredibly expensive subscriptions.
Sure. Just like you put everything in your shopping basket at your nearest supermarket and walk out without paying.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:34 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:51 am

If you saw them out of Macdonald's Asda, they'd probably be on their way to dancing at a pride march.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:41 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:28 pm
Sure. Just like you put everything in your shopping basket at your nearest supermarket and walk out without paying.
Huh?

It’s more like buying all your shopping from the supermarket and then telling you that you can’t use any of it between 15:00 and 17:00 on Saturdays.

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:41 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:51 am

Wonder when the other million or so people are getting knocks

Give over

cbx750
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:53 pm

Found this with Google, don't know how true it is.
Maybe pushypussy can tell us.

in 2014, the Court of Justice of the European Union ruled that internet users who watch copyrighted material online aren’t breaking the law by doing so.

Lip
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Lip » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:56 pm

Anybody got a link for Saturday please.?
This user liked this post: cbx750

claret3561
Been Liked: 136 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by claret3561 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:28 pm

40B3DEFB-C1A0-48C2-B903-73B1355CF160.jpeg
40B3DEFB-C1A0-48C2-B903-73B1355CF160.jpeg (141.77 KiB) Viewed 2325 times

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:48 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:28 pm
Except you are paying, £250+ a month for all of those platforms, add the season ticket on top.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:01 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
are you questioning why he might do that?

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:10 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:19 pm
Most people have all the sports packages, so not costing them anything.

It's the 3pm games that you can't watch or buy.
You have to drill down into this and say are you happy paying your hard earned cash to watch sport ?

The lad who sits next to me has all the channels from Sky and pays ( wait for it ) €1640 per year here in Ireland , yep to watch the TV . Now i pay zero , zip , nothing now i stream all the games i want to see and if as at times don't get a stream i am not too down about .

bobinho
Been Liked: 4108 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:48 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
By my reckoning, that'd be our current chairman. :roll:

Hope you told him to `poke it`.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:07 pm

Gaia wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:45 pm
It's about protecting the interests of TV corporations. Burglary detection rates are ridiculously low and the police put their resources into this.
This.

These corproations already make billions. Police should be protecting society not giving Murdoch more money.

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:07 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:07 pm
This.

These corproations already make billions. Police should be protecting society not giving Murdoch more money.
ITV digital thieves very nearly ruined Burnley.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:24 am

dushanbe wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:53 pm
Its very questionable as to whether its illegal watching streams. They try to make it sound like it is, but like any copyright issue, its the distribution that is illegal, not the consumption. Thats why they can go after pubs broadcasting a game, or a market trader selling hooky DVDs but not someone sat at home watching them.
Receiving stolen goods?

I think you are right.

The last people that were prosecuted were those who sold the sticks with built in illegal streaming equipped. Knowingly selling loaded sticks was the crime. Unlike Amazon, who just provide sticks!

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:35 am

IanMcL wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:24 am
Receiving stolen goods?

I think you are right.

The last people that were prosecuted were those who sold the sticks with built in illegal streaming equipped. Knowingly selling loaded sticks was the crime. Unlike Amazon, who just provide sticks!
Something I have often wondered, why Amazon provide the platform capability. Keep waiting for them to make a major move for the rights after they have eroded other broadcasters margins enough. I also wondered whether they would have a clamp down if they owned the rights.