Towneley Hall

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JLR81
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Towneley Hall

Post by JLR81 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:10 pm

I'm visiting Burnley for the first time in a decade soon and I wanted to pop by Towneley Hall / woods as I have a lot of fond memories of the place from childhood.
I see online the hall is under restoration - so wondered if any Clarets had visited recently and what the experience was like, both in the hall and the surrounding woodlands.
Also - if you have any recommendations for places to visit while I'm in town that'd be fantastic. I love historical sites. Oh an carveries :D
Thank you
UTC

casualclaret
Been Liked: 16 times

Re: Towneley Hall

Post by casualclaret » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:16 pm

Towneley is a lovely place to visit. Not been inside the hall itself for years though. Plenty of nice walks round the woods. Singing ringing tree for the views. Hurstwood reservoir is also a really nice walk, as is Thieveley pike behind the Ram in Cliviger albeit a bit more taxing. Gawthorpe hall is nice with some nice walks around it.
These 2 users liked this post: levraiclaret JLR81

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:50 pm

Hello. We walked the dog round the other day and there are some extensive repairs/conservation work going on with much of the front elevation boarded up and a site entrance at the rear of the hall. It obviously detracts from the look of the place and I don't know what's going on inside. However, it appears yopu can still visit. Probably best ringt he office/visitor centre to find what the latest position is, or look online. The work is scheduled to last until 2025.
This user liked this post: JLR81

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1625 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:25 pm

Hendrickxz wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:50 pm
Hello. We walked the dog round the other day and there are some extensive repairs/conservation work going on with much of the front elevation boarded up and a site entrance at the rear of the hall. It obviously detracts from the look of the place and I don't know what's going on inside. However, it appears yopu can still visit. Probably best ringt he office/visitor centre to find what the latest position is, or look online. The work is scheduled to last until 2025.
Pretty sure you can still get in via the shop

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:25 pm

I always call in when back home but for a better experience see if they are still doing behind the scenes tours. You get a private conducted tour that takes you places the general public are not able to view including the priests hide hole and various other secret passageways including behind the great fireplace in the kitchen. Well worth the extra cost.

Cubanforever
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Cubanforever » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:45 am

JLR81 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:10 pm
I'm visiting Burnley for the first time in a decade soon and I wanted to pop by Towneley Hall / woods as I have a lot of fond memories of the place from childhood.
I see online the hall is under restoration - so wondered if any Clarets had visited recently and what the experience was like, both in the hall and the surrounding woodlands.
Also - if you have any recommendations for places to visit while I'm in town that'd be fantastic. I love historical sites. Oh an carveries :D
Thank you
UTC
Renovation work has started aiming for completion 2025, you can still look around the house and access most areas....we've visited houses and castles all over the UK but Towneley is a little jem that Burnley should be very proud of....its got a little bit of everything and the art gallery really is class.