21st in the League

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GavlarClaret
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 4 times

21st in the League

Post by GavlarClaret » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:49 am

VK's mentality is that we are the club in 21st position in England - not top of the championship about to be crowned champions

This has got me thinking about where VK/AP see us being in 12-24 months.

I don't think I'm getting ahead of myself when I state I'm looking forward to our return to the Premier League being one where we push to qualify for Europe in some capacity - and also not publicly talking about relegation or us constantly being the underdogs :o

Where do you see them taking us?
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Re: 21st in the League

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:59 am

To infinity and beyond
These 2 users liked this post: frankinwales evensteadiereddie

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2701 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:03 am

GavlarClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:49 am
VK's mentality is that we are the club in 21st position in England - not top of the championship about to be crowned champions

I don't think I'm getting ahead of myself when I state I'm looking forward to our return to the Premier League being one where we push to qualify for Europe in some capacity - and also not publicly talking about relegation or us constantly being the underdogs :o

Hard to say really.
You have to suspect that VK isn't here to be scratting around aiming purely for PL survival and that if that looks to be all there is he'll get another gig very quickly.
I hope there's a plan to somehow build a very competitive Prem side..and tbh it looks to be taking shape already.
I'm optimistic..looking for top 8...and I haven't a Scrooby how they've achieved the current position. It feels a bit surreal.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

DukeOfBar
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by DukeOfBar » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:04 am

Top half finish, Fulham & Brentford can do it. And they haven’t got VK!

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2326 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:11 am

I think VK would probably be disappointed if we are only just fighting off relegation next season, that’s not to say the fans won’t be happy, he just knows what’s achievable

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1132 times
Has Liked: 302 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:19 am

If we’re 21st, then points difference wise, we’re as near to Chelsea than Sheffield United.
These 2 users liked this post: frankinwales Juan Tanamera

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:34 am

GavlarClaret wrote:

We are just 4 games away from Europe now. Though I would settle for a day out at Wembley :D .

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4265 times

Post by Greenmile » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:36 am

I’d snap your hand off for 17th in the PL next year.
These 3 users liked this post: jetblackcat thomaspaine Falcon

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:58 am

Top 10

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:32 am

Champions followed by 2 European Cups. Brian Clough mark 2

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:47 am

Greenmile wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:36 am
No we can do far better than 17th where's your ambition.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:16 am

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:47 am
No we can do far better than 17th where's your ambition.
I’m generally very positive about football (what some may call a “happy clapper”) but I think some folk are getting a bit carried away and failing to account for the gulf in quality between the Championship and the PL.

I’m also not convinced that our current style of play would be hugely effective at a higher level. Eg - Norwich smashed the Championship a couple of times playing open, expansive, possession football and were swiftly found out once they were promoted.

I hope and believe VK will make the necessary adjustments to our style and personnel to make us competitive in the PL, but I’m not confident enough that this will happen in a single close season to gamble the hypothetical 17th place being offered in my previous post.

17th next season and then build from there would be more than acceptable to me, although I suspect I’ll be avoiding this place if we’re losing more often than not next season. We’ve been spoilt this season and it’s easy to support a team that wins every week, but I predict quite a few toys being thrown out of prams when (if?) we have a few bad results next season.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:21 am

Greenmile wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:16 am
I’m also not convinced that our current style of play would be hugely effective at a higher level. Eg - Norwich smashed the Championship a couple of times playing open, expansive, possession football and were swiftly found out once they were promoted. .
Everyone looks at Norwich but I wouldn’t say there’s much comparison. Our manager is better, recruitment will be better and players in general are better.

Also, for every Norwich mention, why not consider Fulham this season, adjusted a few things from the one which romped the Champ playing attacking football, but still playing decent stuff and are flying. Leeds under Bielsa finished 8th in their first PL season back playing some of the most attacking football you’ll see (way more than ours).

I also think people often confuse our football with being open / not defensively secure yet our open play xG against is the lowest in the division by a decent margin.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:23 am

Just to burnish my credentials as a happy clapper, here’s what I wrote on 30 December..

“My chickens have been counted. We will finish top with more than 100 points and close to 100 goals.

I’m pretty confident that my complacency will not rub off on VK and the team - mostly because they have no idea who I am.”

https://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboa ... 2&start=47

Still looking like a pretty good prediction.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:24 am

Greenmile wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:16 am
I’m generally very positive about football (what some may call a “happy clapper”) but I think some folk are getting a bit carried away and failing to account for the gulf in quality between the Championship and the PL.

I’m also not convinced that our current style of play would be hugely effective at a higher level. Eg - Norwich smashed the Championship a couple of times playing open, expansive, possession football and were swiftly found out once they were promoted.

I hope and believe VK will make the necessary adjustments to our style and personnel to make us competitive in the PL, but I’m not confident enough that this will happen in a single close season to gamble the hypothetical 17th place being offered in my previous post.

17th next season and then build from there would be more than acceptable to me, although I suspect I’ll be avoiding this place if we’re losing more often than not next season. We’ve been spoilt this season and it’s easy to support a team that wins every week, but I predict quite a few toys being thrown out of prams when (if?) we have a few bad results next season.
All valid points, and naturally we will need to strengthen to compete in the Prem, however even an average Bournemouth outfit have already put 21 points on the board, and we beat them handily in the cup, now you can't fully judge the gap on one game, but that result and more importantly performance levels suggests to me we can at least be mid-table with some shrewd additions this summer.

Regarding the response if or more likely when we lose a lot more next season par for the course on this board to go overboard alas.

Even during this amazing campaign there's been the odd grumble bizarrely.

Brentford have shown that you can play nice football but still be competitive at PL level, so no reason why we can't follow suit.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:29 am

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:21 am
Everyone looks at Norwich but I wouldn’t say there’s much comparison. Our manager is better, recruitment will be better and players in general are better.

Also, for every Norwich mention, why not consider Fulham this season, adjusted a few things from the one which romped the Champ playing attacking football, but still playing decent stuff and are flying. Leeds under Bielsa finished 8th in their first PL season back playing some of the most attacking football you’ll see (way more than ours).

I also think people often confuse our football with being open / not defensively secure yet our open play xG against is the lowest in the division by a decent margin.
I didn’t mean to suggest that we play the exact same style as those Norwich sides, but we’re closer to them than, say, Sean Dyche’s Burnley (or Bielsa’s Leeds, for that matter).

And if you want to consider Fulham this season (who I would say have made significant adjustments to their style from last year, which VK may well do also, tbf), it might be worth considering the Fulham of a couple of years back, too.

To clarify, I’m not saying I think we will definitely go down again next season, just that I’d be more than happy with the “bird in the hand” of a guaranteed 17th place finish if I was offered it today.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:37 am

Greenmile wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:29 am
I didn’t mean to suggest that we play the exact same style as those Norwich sides, but we’re closer to them than, say, Sean Dyche’s Burnley (or Bielsa’s Leeds, for that matter).

And if you want to consider Fulham this season (who I would say have made significant adjustments to their style from last year, which VK may well do also, tbf), it might be worth considering the Fulham of a couple of years back, too.

To clarify, I’m not saying I think we will definitely go down again next season, just that I’d be more than happy with the “bird in the hand” of a guaranteed 17th place finish if I was offered it today.
Fair points and yeah, me too on this bit.

I think the season after next the PL will enter a new TV contract cycle and with Apple/DAZN entering the picture it will likely give yet another boost to revenues.

HiThere
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 505 times

Post by HiThere » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:44 am

GavlarClaret wrote:
When I heard him say that it came across to me that winning the Championship is only the beginning in his mind and that there's no ceiling to where he can take us next season and beyond. Almost like 21st is unfortunately the highest we can currently be and it's a long way down from where he wants us to be.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:46 am

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:21 am
...I also think people often confuse our football with being open / not defensively secure yet our open play xG against is the lowest in the division by a decent margin.
I don’t doubt this, but surely that’s largely down to how much we control games and our possession stats - the opposition can’t score (even an xG) if they don’t have the ball - which I’m not convinced we’ll be able to pull off in the PL.

It’s a bit different from the defensively secure style we played under Dyche, which I believe was more “scalable” to playing against better opposition.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:55 am

Greenmile wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:36 am
If that was our expectation I’d rather we didn’t get promoted. Every year in the PL people would come on here saying ‘17th will do for me’. It’s mind numbingly boring watching your team scratch around trying to survive all the time. I hope and expect better things this time.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:10 am

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:55 am
If that was our expectation I’d rather we didn’t get promoted. Every year in the PL people would come on here saying ‘17th will do for me’. It’s mind numbingly boring watching your team scratch around trying to survive all the time. I hope and expect better things this time.
I think you might want to read to the end of the thread before commenting.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:24 am

I too don't think VK is here to languish at the bottom of the PL but I also recall a few other things both he and Bellamy have said over the season.

- Going up this year may have been a year too soon
- This is a medium term project
- We are buying players who are prepared for both Prem/Championship.

Now you could argue and say that when the comments about this year potentially being a year too early was just managing expectations at a time where they didn't know just how well the team would perform. However, it recognises the young side we have still.

I also think that when we were buying players with both Prem/this league in mind (comments were aimed at January transfer window) then you could again interpret this to be us not wanting to get complacent but it also could have been meant that we need players to stick with us next year and beyond.

This brings me on to the medium term project comments in that I think VK knows much more about the PL and what it takes to be a winner in that league more so than he did about this league. I think he has that vision of if it doesn't work next year, he will learn from it etc and with the players he has and them developing, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we did come back down as the team understand the vision and project they signed up to.

I can see us doing well in the PL with some astute buys but I don't expect too many in Summer. I can see us getting mid table next year as much as I can see us being relegated. It's all how we start and learn.

I think there is nothing for us to fear regardless and I am hoping that I can enjoy next season in the PL more than I did in the last 2 we had.

The club seems to be moving forward for the better and I am so glad that whilst the sentiment is true, we are not talking about us being the underdogs or little old burnley anymore. We are a team who knows it takes hard work and as my neighbour keeps reminding me - this is more akin to the Burnley of old where we played attacking football with wingers etc.

Regardless of where we finish - I think we are entering the second phase of what has been a golden era over the last 10 + years.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:37 am

VK is a winner simple as that and he brings this to his side and looks higher and thus sees us as 21st

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2003 times
Has Liked: 1149 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:27 pm

The sky is the limit if we can keep VK. Getting him was a master stroke. Keeping him is wa harder. Enjoy him while you can

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:36 pm

Our recruitment this season has been stellar
Both our cbs signed in January look like they've played together for years
Last night particularly ,they kept Millwalls monster cb at bay

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:46 pm

It’s good that VK sees the champ for exactly what it is , 2nd tier football and almost invisible to the world . The top flight is everything ,while it’s been an enjoyable romp with the 2nd rate garbage of the championship it’s all about putting your team amongst the best . That’s how VK will be ultimately be judged .

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:21 pm

It depends on the luck of the fixtures, but I see it being similar to this. We will improve as the season goes on, as players start to find their feet in the Prem.
There's a lot of unknowns such as who we retain, who we bring in, how many of our loanees sign on, but I'm more confident for next season than I have been for any of the last 5.
As for VK I don't think he has a target. From listening to his post match comments, targets are a hindrance. Once you have achieved a target then you've basically finished the business and stop. He doesn't want us to stop, he is always looking for us to get better as individuals and as a team. When the day dawns when he thinks he has taken us as far as he can, then we are likely to lose him.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:24 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:21 pm
It depends on the luck of the fixtures, but I see it being similar to this. We will improve as the season goes on, as players start to find their feet in the Prem.
There's a lot of unknowns such as who we retain, who we bring in, how many of our loanees sign on, but I'm more confident for next season than I have been for any of the last 5.
We were in the Prem for 6 seasons, so I'm guessing you expect a European place at the very least (which we achieved in our 2nd season). ;)
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:36 am

Greenmile wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:10 am
I think you might want to read to the end of the thread before commenting.
Do you mean the end of the thread AFTER I commented or the end of the thread before my comment? Do you really believe that anyone reads an entire thread before replying to a comment. And if I’m replying to an individual comment why would it matter anyway? I don’t know what you do for a living bud but my life is far too busy to read every comment on a thread before I post and looking at other posts I think most people are like me.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:45 am

houseboy wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:36 am
Do you mean the end of the thread AFTER I commented or the end of the thread before my comment? Do you really believe that anyone reads an entire thread before replying to a comment. And if I’m replying to an individual comment why would it matter anyway? I don’t know what you do for a living bud but my life is far too busy to read every comment on a thread before I post and looking at other posts I think most people are like me.
My only point is that much more context was added to the comment you replied to, after I made it but before you replied.

There were only about 20 posts on the thread when you commented. Your life must indeed be pretty busy if you can’t read that much.

Maybe it’s your 6000-odd posts on here that’s taking up all your time, as opposed to what you do for a living (by comparison I’ve made less than 3000 despite registering over a year earlier than you).

I wasn’t looking for an argument (but always happy to have one, when invited :) ). I’ve done it myself before - commenting when only halfway through a thread only to find my point has already been addressed, or made by someone else, later on - so my advice to you was genuine.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:15 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:45 am
My only point is that much more context was added to the comment you replied to, after I made it but before you replied.

There were only about 20 posts on the thread when you commented. Your life must indeed be pretty busy if you can’t read that much.

Maybe it’s your 6000-odd posts on here that’s taking up all your time, as opposed to what you do for a living (by comparison I’ve made less than 3000 despite registering over a year earlier than you).

I wasn’t looking for an argument (but always happy to have one, when invited :) ). I’ve done it myself before - commenting when only halfway through a thread only to find my point has already been addressed, or made by someone else, later on - so my advice to you was genuine.
No argument wanted here bud and if I took your post out of context I apologise. Life’s too short to argue over stuff like this isn’t it?
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Claret53
Been Liked: 55 times

Post by Claret53 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:32 pm

It shouts out that VK is a focussed, highly intelligent, and balanced character. His ability to transform the style in which the club plays and to transform the playing staff in the face of acute financial pressures suggest that he has thought long and hard about how he wants to take the club forward. It is difficult to believe that, given the position the team is now in, neither VK nor AP will have turned their minds to planning for promotion. It's an important part of management in any field that you deal with what you are faced with at the current time, but also that you plan for the future. Poor management will stagger from issue to issue, but VK and AP show every sign of having the capacity to plan forward.

grapidianclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by grapidianclaret » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:39 pm

I was filling up at a gas station when a guy asked me who I supported. I told him Burnley and he said I had his sympathies. I asked him who he supported and he said "Liverpool". I doubled up laughing. He got a little annoyed with me and said something nasty. I replied that we have a much better chance at Europe next season than his team.
Its a long shot, but this is our best chance of doing something in the cup in many, many years.
I WOULD LOVE IT!!!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:45 pm

Despite being an optimist, I think we have peaked and will end the season in 21st place. Can't see us getting any higher this season.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcmik lesxdp

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:05 pm

Surely all it is is VK saying what every manager says where ever their team is placed, namely his team should try to do better still. He's just done it this time in a nice 'sound bite'.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:57 pm

Hipper wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:05 pm
Surely all it is is VK saying what every manager says where ever their team is placed, namely his team should try to do better still. He's just done it this time in a nice 'sound bite'.
I wouldn't say that. He provided, perhaps inadvertently, further insight into how he thinks. It wasn't a soundbite, it was an attitude of mind underpinned by an expression of expectation