Summer transfer window 2023 - rumours, links and discussion.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Re: Summer transfer window 2023 - rumours, links and discussion.

Post by Elizabeth » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:07 pm

northeastclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:04 pm
38 yesterday :o
Good on him. You'd have thought his knees and hips would have gone by now with all that diving he did

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 310 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:10 pm

Yes one of the first to be a professional go down easy in the premier league

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:13 pm

Anyway I know it upsets one or two posters when it's all speculation and discussion and I hope this changes very soon because the signs are that we are going to have a very exciting week on the transfer front !

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:15 pm

I love the guy for what he did for us but Dyche is legit gonna relegate Everton* if he conducts his transfer business there like he did here. They obviously have massive financial problems to sort out, but everyone just knuckled down at Burnley and accepted we were a team full of worn-out pros having one last crack at the prem because at the time it was all Burnley could afford in the PL so nobody here grumbled, everyone gave 100% effort and got on with it, and the team had the unwavering support of the crowd even in bad runs, but at Everton it's harder to sell that idea not only to fans but also their own players.

*who am I kidding, he won't be given he time to relegate Everton, they'll sack him by November

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:19 pm

Can anyone think what Townsend at this stage in his career would give us that JBG does not already?

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:20 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:26 pm
I did, and have mentioned it a few times before. You must’ve missed them?

Tarks reached premier league and international status, could he play in this team as effectively as our current CB’s? Could Chris Wood?
So, despite praise heaped on Conor Roberts by the manager last season your close assessment of him is that he's not up to much really. Bit of a charlatan who gets away with it match after match. Let's hope VK thinks along the same lines as you otherwise he'll turn out a 'wrong un' too. 101 points last season, 3 defeats only but we had a member of the first team who week in week out was a liability, an accident waiting to happen. Let's hope the rest of the squad let him.know.
As for Tarks and Chris Wood; what on earth are you trying to prove?
This user liked this post: Greenmile

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:21 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:19 pm
Can anyone think what Townsend at this stage in his career would give us that JBG does not already?
Great point.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:24 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:20 pm
So, despite praise heaped on Conor Roberts by the manager last season your close assessment of him is that he's not up to much really. Bit of a charlatan who gets away with it match after match. Let's hope VK thinks along the same lines as you otherwise he'll turn out a 'wrong un' too. 101 points last season, 3 defeats only but we had a member of the first team who week in week out was a liability, an accident waiting to happen. Let's hope the rest of the squad let him.know.
Apparently Roberts was one of several "accidents waiting to happen" or "pony". you do sometimes wonder how we ever managed to scrape through a Championship season. :)

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:25 pm

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:58 pm
😆 you can’t get much more of a Dyche signing than this.
Dyche must be running out of players that he knew from Watford-Young, Cork, Heaton (tried to sign him at Watford), Drinkwater, Chalobah, and I think there are more like the ex Wolves winger who was one of Dyche's first loan signings

Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Post by Anthonini » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:29 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:01 pm
he's already said he wants to stay at City and fight for his place (sadly!)
Yeah I read that too but where is he going to play? Instead of Grealish or Ake? Now they even bought or going to buy Gvardiol also left footed and one of the biggest defensive prospects in football. I think it's game over for him. He better comes and start for us. Hopefully he won't wait too long to decide whether he wants to stay or go. I'd love to see this dude play for us.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:30 pm

Think Young is a fine signing for Everton. Dyche seemingly sees more value than most managers in having that kind of figure around the squad but a good number of them were really good for us and you can see from last season and from the potential Townsend signing VK understands the value of it too. Plus Young has been pretty good at Villa.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:30 pm

I wrote a bit of a silly paean back end of last season arguing that post-WC Roberts was playing better than Trippier ever did for us, so believe me when I say I like Roberts, but there's logic to having a bigger and more physical right back in the PL for us. Roberts was incredible in our system last year, but he'll be doing a lot more defending this season, and I don't think his tactical understanding of the game and composure makes up for the kind of massive defensive moments he lacks. He'll be good against the Luton's and the Bournemouth's and the like, but top half teams (there's like fourteen games this season against teams legit vying for CL) I wouldn't be surprised if we get more height and physicality into the team, especially in that defensive midfield position the fullback takes up.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:36 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:30 pm
I wrote a bit of a silly paean back end of last season arguing that post-WC Roberts was playing better than Trippier ever did for us, so believe me when I say I like Roberts, but there's logic to having a bigger and more physical right back in the PL for us. Roberts was incredible in our system last year, but he'll be doing a lot more defending this season, and I don't think his tactical understanding of the game and composure makes up for the kind of massive defensive moments he lacks. He'll be good against the Luton's and the Bournemouth's and the like, but top half teams (there's like fourteen games this season against teams legit vying for CL) I wouldn't be surprised if we get more height and physicality into the team, especially in that defensive midfield position the fullback takes up.

Symptomatic of this thread; you are not giving enough credit to the coaching and tactical nous. You may feel that Roberts is week defensively, that's fine, but you may be underestimating what he brings.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:40 pm

Seems fairly obvious that Roberts has a high level of football intelligence - if you look at his positional play with and without the ball

He has been integral to our possession based philosophy and at Championship level was excellent at maintaining the pass and move momentum

Of course he is not the complete player but there's no doubt he has a role to play this season and that based on his continued ability to develop he can adapt his game to the increased demands of the PL

I thought he started to look a far better player under Jackson's brief tenure - the conventional FB role in a rigid 4-4-2 which preceded that never got the best out of him
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:56 pm

Can we just change the title of this thread to "discussion about anything but potential transfers"

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:07 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:19 pm
Really?? I’m undecided whether it would be a good move or not to sign Townsend but he is a completely different footballer to JBG. Pace, direct, the ability to beat a man one on one. JBG is a lovely footballer but sadly the injuries have caught up with him and he no longer offers these things. I’m not sure we’ll see him play on the wing again under VK because of this.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11055 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:09 pm

Anthonini wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:29 pm
Yeah I read that too but where is he going to play? Instead of Grealish or Ake? Now they even bought or going to buy Gvardiol also left footed and one of the biggest defensive prospects in football. I think it's game over for him. He better comes and start for us. Hopefully he won't wait too long to decide whether he wants to stay or go. I'd love to see this dude play for us.
I agree 100%

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 393 times

Post by Cooclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:18 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:20 pm
I don’t think he’s up to much IN THIS system, we’re a quick transition team and VK has set them up to to break the lines with a quick forward pass or with a run. I think he slows us down far too much and that impacts the way we transition through the midfield and into the forward line. Foster, Obafemi, and hopefully Tella + 1 will need quicker ball to work with to exploit Premier League defenders imo. The same goes for Cork whilst we’re at it. Brilliant footballer, but doesn’t have the long repertoire of passing to be effective in this system. Still plays and does well, but we need to upgrade.

It’s likely that we will play a more counterattacking style this season with 2/3 fluid systems in and out of possession and I think Roberts is the weak link and I think he’s technically lacking for a defender. Defenders do more without the ball than they do with it.

I didn’t say he was a liability, or an accident waiting to happen. He’s a good footballer, but I think we can upgrade him and we will be even better equipped for the Premier League.

My point about Wood, Tarks etc is that players are best suited to a system that suits their attributes and can be pony (😂) in one system and brilliant in another.

There’s a whole documentary about players getting matched to clubs and using data to inform their transfer decisions. Can’t recall the name, but I know they focused on KDB and Salah and why they’d picked their moves based on the style of the coach.

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:20 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:40 pm
Seems fairly obvious that Roberts has a high level of football intelligence - if you look at his positional play with and without the ball

He has been integral to our possession based philosophy and at Championship level was excellent at maintaining the pass and move momentum

Of course he is not the complete player but there's no doubt he has a role to play this season and that based on his continued ability to develop he can adapt his game to the increased demands of the PL

I thought he started to look a far better player under Jackson's brief tenure - the conventional FB role in a rigid 4-4-2 which preceded that never got the best out of him
Don’t know the stats, but I’d be really intrigued to see the possession stats and how many passes were forward as opposed to sideways and back.

I also think he would be shown to be out of position quite frequently, that may well be by design by VK. I can recall a few games when I’ve been frustrated by Roberts being caught out by the diagonal or a channel ball.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:23 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:20 pm
Don’t know the stats, but I’d be really intrigued to see the possession stats and how many passes were forward as opposed to sideways and back.
Roberts made 7.97 progressive passes per 90 minutes last season which was the most for any full back in the entire league. Here’s a snapshot of all passing stats:
Attachments
IMG_0706.jpeg
IMG_0706.jpeg (690.34 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 ArmchairDetective Wo Didi

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:35 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:07 pm
Really?? I’m undecided whether it would be a good move or not to sign Townsend but he is a completely different footballer to JBG. Pace, direct, the ability to beat a man one on one. JBG is a lovely footballer but sadly the injuries have caught up with him and he no longer offers these things. I’m not sure we’ll see him play on the wing again under VK because of this.
Young Townsend, perhaps, but I dunno, has Townsend done any of that of late? He seems to have done nowt for a few years now. JBG was immense in the second half of last season in that inside forward role. I know Zaroury's form dropped off so it might seem unfair when talking about ability to compare an in form player with an out of form one, but JBG was more threatening than Anass in the latter stages of the season, it can't be denied. Fittest he's looked in ages.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:36 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:20 pm

I also think he would be shown to be out of position quite frequently, that may well be by design by VK. I can recall a few games when I’ve been frustrated by Roberts being caught out by the diagonal or a channel ball.
it's game of opinions clearly but the only one that counts is the one VK has and so far we haven't been linked with a single right back (afaik) - that tells you all you need to know unless you or anyone think you know better than they guy who has just taken the **** out of an entire division

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:37 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:36 pm
it's game of opinions clearly but the only one that counts is the one VK has and so far we haven't been linked with a single right back (afaik) - that tells you all you need to know unless you or anyone think you know better than they guy who has just taken the **** out of an entire division
We have been linked a few times with Drameh
This user liked this post: Cooclaret

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:41 pm

Can someone tell me where 'pony' came from? I'm taking it means crap?

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4263 times

Post by Greenmile » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:43 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:41 pm
Can someone tell me where 'pony' came from? I'm taking it means crap?
Cockney rhyming slang - “pony and trap”.
This user liked this post: Spiral

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:43 pm

It's pretty clear someone has an agenda against Roberts hidden behind a load of jargon
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:48 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:37 pm
We have been linked a few times with Drameh
so linked with a guy who played for a team that finished 21 points behind the one Roberts played in. Not seeing that as much of an upgrade that CoolClaret seems to be asking for ? I don't know anything about him, maybe RV can drop some stats

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:52 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:23 pm
Roberts made 7.97 progressive passes per 90 minutes last season which was the most for any full back in the entire league. Here’s a snapshot of all passing stats:
Kind of blows my argument out of the water 😂😂

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:54 pm

taio wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:43 pm
It's pretty clear someone has an agenda against Roberts hidden behind a load of jargon
What agenda could I have against a professional millionaire footballer? Do you think he stole my GF, or perhaps he didn’t wave as I let him through at a turning and now I’m perpetuating a haye campaign against him as retribution?

Football is all about opinions, in fact all sport is.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:54 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:43 pm
Cockney rhyming slang - “pony and trap”.
Cheers, Greenmile. Yeh, think I'm personally gonna avoid using that word, thankyouverymuch, no cap, fr fr.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:55 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:48 pm
so linked with a guy who played for a team that finished 21 points behind the one Roberts played in. Not seeing that as much of an upgrade that CoolClaret seems to be asking for ? I don't know anything about him, maybe RV can drop some stats
To be fair it’s not a great comparison he’s a top young talent, only joined Luton in January but is a big part of the reason they got promoted.

If we are to go three at the back, I can certainly see us signing this lad he’s perfect for the wing back role

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:56 pm

I think the club are reading this thread and holding back on announcing anyone simply to read some of the pure shite that’s being spouted . :lol:

Come on media team you’ve had your fun now get on with it.

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 427 times

Re: discussion about anything but potential transfers.

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:57 pm

Firthy wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:56 pm
Can we just change the title of this thread to "discussion about anything but potential transfers"
Yes we can

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:57 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:56 pm
I think the club are reading this thread and holding back on announcing anyone simply to read some of the pure shite that’s being spouted . :lol:
Carbon net-zero goals. Cultivating biomass energy. This thread is actually saving the planet.

taio

Post by taio » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:59 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:54 pm
What agenda could I have against a professional millionaire footballer? Do you think he stole my GF, or perhaps he didn’t wave as I let him through at a turning and now I’m perpetuating a haye campaign against him as retribution?

I dunno, you're best placed to say what you have against him (you mentioned hate campaign not me). It took me just a couple of minutes to get a true sense what you think:
Cooclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:23 pm
Roberts needs selling in January, fingers crossed he has a great World Cup and we get a decent fee.

Blokes a legend in his own head.
Cooclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:45 pm
Roberts needs to go and quickly. He’s absolutely bobbins!
Cooclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:00 am
Wout would be top draw in this team. Also, really good to see Roberts out of the side. I feel it makes us balanced.
Cooclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:54 am
Roberts is bobbins.
Cooclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:25 pm
He’s bobbins, and I wish he wasn’t at this club.

So many of our goals we concede are because of him and his poor positioning or a poorly executed skill
Cooclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:50 pm
I really dislike Roberts as a footballer
These 2 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing Wo Didi

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:01 pm

I thought he kept calling Foster pony because his voice is a little hoarse

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:02 pm

I reckon Cooclaret might be Weghorst’s UTC username.
These 2 users liked this post: taio Rick_Muller

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:04 pm

My mind was blown when I found out a that a pony is not just a little horse. Same species of animal, but like, ponies stay small forever until they die. They never grow big...they never grow big. *cries*
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller longsidepies

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:04 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:54 pm

But you immediately respond to the post; bit obvious ;)

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:06 pm

taio wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:59 pm
I dunno, you're best placed to say what you have against him (you mentioned hate campaign not me). It took me just a couple of minutes to get a true sense what you think:
Just help me out to see you thinking; how is that a hate campaign? I think the guy is bobbins, don’t like him as a footballer for BFC. That’s my opinion.

Genuinely don’t think he is the right fit for the system we played. Think he was the best option VK had at the time. That’s my opinion.

Where’s the hatred? I’ve suggested the same about Cork, Barnes (got shouted at for that one and then agreed with), Jay Rod all being too old and no good for the system going forward.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:07 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:06 pm
Just help me out to see you thinking; how is that a hate campaign? I think the guy is bobbins, don’t like him as a footballer for BFC. That’s my opinion.

Genuinely don’t think he is the right fit for the system we played. Think he was the best option VK had at the time. That’s my opinion.

Where’s the hatred? I’ve suggested the same about Cork, Barnes (got shouted at for that one and then agreed with), Jay Rod all being too old and no good for the system going forward.
How about a bit of balance?
Any players you rate??

taio

Post by taio » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:07 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:06 pm

Once again, I never used the word hate or words hate campaign. You did. Anyhow I'll leave you to it.

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:08 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:02 pm
I reckon Cooclaret might be Weghorst’s UTC username.
I do think WW is going to be great if he stays…

I also think he wasn’t to blame for the way he was brought into the club and then left. He was bang on to want to play at the highest level he could in a WC year.

I also reckon he told Roberts what a plank he is in a true straight talking Dutch way!

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:09 pm

“How is it a hate campaign to go on and on about how much I dislike someone and wish they lost their job, irrespective of how well they actually perform?”

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:10 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:07 pm
How about a bit of balance?
Any players you rate??
Really rate;
Muric
Bayer
Zaoury
AAD

Rate;

WW

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:10 pm

Roberts bobbins, Weghorst going to be great. What parallel universe are you posting from? :D

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:10 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:08 pm
I do think WW is going to be great if he stays…

I also think he wasn’t to blame for the way he was brought into the club and then left. He was bang on to want to play at the highest level he could in a WC year.

I also reckon he told Roberts what a plank he is in a true straight talking Dutch way!
Typical Dutch arrogance, speaking about yourself in the third person :)
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:11 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:09 pm
“How is it a hate campaign to go on and on about how much I dislike someone and wish they lost their job, irrespective of how well they actually perform?”
I’d agree, if I was basing it on everything but his performances. These opinions are based on his performances and my observations…

I could say I don’t like his hair, and his eyes are too close together…

That would be irrational 😂
Last edited by Cooclaret on Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:11 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:10 pm
Really rate;
Muric
Bayer
Zaoury
AAD

Rate;

WW
Benson is better than everyone on that list, maybe level with Beyer.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:11 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:08 pm

Okay so you don't rate Roberts as a footballer (daft but you're entitled to your opinion), but what evidence do you have that Roberts is a "plank"?