Summer transfer window 2023 - rumours, links and discussion.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Re: Summer transfer window 2023 - rumours, links and discussion.

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:26 pm

Trésor looks like a baller and was the one guy that I was most excited about earlier in the window.

Worth noting that he has predominantly played on the left for Genk.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:28 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:26 pm
But nobody is making you read this thread. Like I said, there’s another thread dedicated to just transfer links and no discussion - so just read that one instead.
You know as well as I do that this is the main thread that gets the updates first. Anyway, back to transfers.

Today we have Tresor close to signing and the CM from Bristol city. Anything else?

Oldparkwood
Been Liked: 127 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Oldparkwood » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:29 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:24 pm
Transfer window not transfers. It’s really easy to understand. This isn’t your personal space where you get to decide what people can and can’t discuss.
I haven’t said it is, and it’s not yours also. I just like things to be kept on topic. Like it says in the thread. And I don’t think
I’m in the minority that think it isn’t… Anyway I’ll let you get back to discussing drivel.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:31 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:28 pm
You know as well as I do that this is the main thread that gets the updates first. Anyway, back to transfers.

Today we have Tresor close to signing and the CM from Bristol city. Anything else?
That’s it so far
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:32 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:26 pm
But nobody is making you read this thread. Like I said, there’s another thread dedicated to just transfer links and no discussion - so just read that one instead.
Really is that simple.

The beauty of this bird board IMO for at least the relative size of our club is how active it is. Rivals some of the biggest clubs in our Nation for activity

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:39 pm

tom210 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:29 pm
I haven’t said it is, and it’s not yours also. I just like things to be kept on topic. Like it says in the thread. And I don’t think
I’m in the minority that think it isn’t… Anyway I’ll let you get back to discussing drivel.
read where it says rumours, links and discussion.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:41 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:39 pm
read where it says rumours, links and discussion.
Discussion about transfers and rumours?

Ightenhill_Claret
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Ightenhill_Claret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:46 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:56 pm
Fair enough Ightenhill, but we have at least 2 gaps in the current starting 11 that need filling now. Maybe 1 if Brownhill is staying or if we were to try Beyer in front of the back 4 in a 4141.
I'm not saying we've not got gaps - we absolutely have at LB and CM (and poss even up front) - but I'm just saying that every player we get linked with you will have some people making the argument that they're not going to work in the VK team because of what they've done previously. Likewise, players who people think have done well previously are heralded as definitely going to work. Truth is, until they're here and playing we just don't know.
These 3 users liked this post: agreenwood quoonbeatz Darnhill Claret

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:54 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:41 pm
Discussion about transfers and rumours?
Transfer window

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:55 pm

Ightenhill_Claret wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:46 pm
Truth is, until they're here and playing we just don't know.
In short, we’ve signed a lot of players, spent a load of money and it’s too early to say whether they’re going to be a success or not.

Lock the thread please! :lol:

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:58 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:18 pm
:( :( it is 11pm on Friday so the agony goes on for boatshed bill
Effin wonderful.
It's not agony, just a bit tedious.

claretlegend
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by claretlegend » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:58 pm

What other left backs are a possibility? Was it Fernandez from Man Utd (who was with PNE last year) and wasn't there someone from Feyenoord earlier in the window? Gomez at City?

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:03 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:10 pm
You think I’m wrong.

I think your driving lesson analogy is wrong, because you’re applying that situation to individuals within a team. But playing on that analogy, if you started a new taxi company with 11 cars, you wouldn’t employ 6 learner drivers.
VK picked the best team available to him. Live with it, FFS. Beyer, Ekdal, Brownhill all injured, Zaroury suspended. If he was desperate for a LB he’d have had one by now.
The driving analogy is spot on and exactly what he said last season. It takes time.

kenyon6923
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by kenyon6923 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:03 pm

Think people have had too much VK fever !!!!! we cantered to the title last season, promoted 1st week in April and the only players that featured regularly in that team and have any interest/sold from other clubs was one of our loan players in Tella - Barnsey went on a free and thats it. No team so far "higher" than us has shown any interest in any of our players - so that's where we are - we will be at times in some sort of relegation / looking over our shoulders moments / we may be the "next yo yo club" until we try and be the next Brentford, next Brighton and become "established". Success has come quickly and that raises expectation but we have to get our feet back on the ground and realise at times this journey might be 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:04 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:54 pm
Transfer window
Not tactics then, or how well Bristol have done since they sold Brownhill?

equinox
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by equinox » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:07 pm

claretlegend wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:58 pm
What other left backs are a possibility? Was it Fernandez from Man Utd (who was with PNE last year) and wasn't there someone from Feyenoord earlier in the window? Gomez at City?
None that will fit into VK's system, for a start you haven't to be an actual left back then after that you've got to be someone who nobody has ever heard of.
This user liked this post: Longs1de

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:08 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:04 pm
Not tactics then, or how well Bristol have done since they sold Brownhill?
All linked to the transfer window, it’s talking about potential transfers and how they might work out

ab1882
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by ab1882 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:13 pm

claretlegend wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:58 pm
Quilindschy Hartman from Feyenoord and who can forget we've recently been linked to Sergio Akieme of Almeria ;)
Maybe can include Isaak Touré Marseille even though he's probably a centre half that can do a job at LB.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:14 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:10 pm
You think I’m wrong.

I think your driving lesson analogy is wrong, because you’re applying that situation to individuals within a team. But playing on that analogy, if you started a new taxi company with 11 cars, you wouldn’t employ 6 learner drivers.
You wouldn't have a choice if the other taxi firms were offering more pay than you can afford.
Yes, players like Jay have more experience than Foster and Amdouni, but is he a better player. I don't think he is.
Starting a player with the experience might steady the ship, it will less likely, improve results, but it would definitely hamper this squad from growing.
There has to be a bigger picture than the next result it's all about opinions, but in mine, if we want to compete in the top half of the table, we have to play these players, in this system, and when necessary take the hit.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:15 pm

Ightenhill_Claret wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:46 pm
I'm not saying we've not got gaps - we absolutely have at LB and CM (and poss even up front) - but I'm just saying that every player we get linked with you will have some people making the argument that they're not going to work in the VK team because of what they've done previously. Likewise, players who people think have done well previously are heralded as definitely going to work. Truth is, until they're here and playing we just don't know.
Football is all about opinions, that I agree. Some you can say were obviously going to be successful; Maatsen was one of the best young attacking fullbacks in the champ for Cov the season we were relegated, for example.

Arteta is getting similar criticism for his overt philosophy over pragmatic approach to the season where he’s shoehorning a Havertz into the side (65 mill signing) putting one of the best defensive midfielders in the league to right back and leaving Gabriel out of the Side.

Ten Hag is getting criticism and doubt for signing an 80 million pound winger in Antony, another 60 odd million cm in Mount where they don’t particularly look up to it.

These are the decisions you live and die by. VK is still relatively inexperienced and as ClaretSpice has said hasn’t had much experience managing a team that’s supposed to be in and around the bottom half of the league.

Everyone at least in my view is supporting the team at the Turf, there’s no negativity. A few people have questioned Sander Berge’s ability already around where I was sitting but nothing other than that.

The thing that I can’t grasp is why have invested a lot into depth players / potential when we needed funds into other areas of the pitch and a bit more continuation after a large turn over last season.

It’s not like our side last year couldn’t hang against PL opposition; we turned Bournemouth over and gave United a really good game at Old Trafford when Rashford had just started getting into his peak form.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:21 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:15 pm
It’s not like our side last year couldn’t hang against PL opposition; we turned Bournemouth over and gave United a really good game at Old Trafford when Rashford had just started getting into his peak form.
To be fair Bournemouth have improved their team quite significantly since that game, just shows the step up in quality even to then. United had their first game back against us for 6 weeks while we had already been back playing 2 competitive games. Both were cup games too. Probably not the best barometer.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6967 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:22 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:03 pm
VK picked the best team available to him. Live with it, FFS. Beyer, Ekdal, Brownhill all injured, Zaroury suspended. If he was desperate for a LB he’d have had one by now.
The driving analogy is spot on and exactly what he said last season. It takes time.
I know it takes time, as I said in my post. My suggestion was that perhaps it may be more more appropriate to integrate fewer new players at a time into the starting lineup at this stage of the season. Not exactly a radical suggestion or one that deserves a ‘live with it, FFS’.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:25 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:14 pm
You wouldn't have a choice if the other taxi firms were offering more pay than you can afford.
Yes, players like Jay have more experience than Foster and Amdouni, but is he a better player. I don't think he is.
Starting a player with the experience might steady the ship, it will less likely, improve results, but it would definitely hamper this squad from growing.
There has to be a bigger picture than the next result it's all about opinions, but in mine, if we want to compete in the top half of the table, we have to play these players, in this system, and when necessary take the hit.
In the top half of the table?

We've just had two thumpings in our first 2 games. Top half of the table looks a long way off. I'm with Riley on this, you put out the strongest team at the time and as and when players start to gel then you add them in.

The mentality of, well we have to play all these young lads because we've bought them and they might come good, is a dangerous one imo.
This user liked this post: Twistedbyknaves

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:26 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:21 pm
To be fair Bournemouth have improved their team quite significantly since that game, just shows the step up in quality even to then. United had their first game back against us for 6 weeks while we had already been back playing 2 competitive games. Both were cup games too. Probably not the best barometer.
They might have, still survived last season.

They did yeah - a lot of their players were also playing in the World Cup so had competitive minutes over that break

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:31 pm

Kompany must have thought that was the best team at the time. The main error was inverting Roberts at right back and playing Benson right wing. Those two things combined were errors he corrected at HT. But for an offside goal we may well have got an equaliser, which of course we will never know. Not sure where this young lads thing has come into it?

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:43 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:25 pm

We've just had two thumpings in our first 2 games. Top half of the table looks a long way off. I'm with Riley on this, you put out the strongest team at the time and as and when players start to gel then you add them in.

The mentality of, well we have to play all these young lads because we've bought them and they might come good, is a dangerous one imo.
To what end.
Our supposedly best team would still be sat on nil points, and we wouldn't be any further along the road to improving. I fail to see what we would gain from it, nothing.
We were deservedly beaten, but I took loads of positives from both games. Individuals who look like being real assets in the future, and eye openers such as how weak we are in the tackle in the middle of the pitch.
Just look at last season. Without the hits, we would never have enjoyed that 10 game winning streak. I can understand people not agreeing with me, but you're also disagreeing with the man who brought entertainment back to the Turf. He proved last season that he has the vision to see beyond a result. In MTB he was telling the directors how good Foster would be this season, when many on this board thought he wasn't good enough, one muppet even thought he was pony. Just look how right he was, and yet people still argue against his philosophy.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:46 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:25 pm

Some fans genuinely believed that we were gonna finish 10th or above mate and just football teams off the park.

If only.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:54 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:43 pm
Our supposedly best team would still be sat on nil points
We beat United’s title winning side at home in 2009 with a far less talented side than we have now mate. Any given weekend. You don’t toss games off in the Prem - I don’t think Vinnie has either btw he wants to win.

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 796 times
Has Liked: 1017 times

Post by Guller Bull » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:56 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:46 pm
Some fans genuinely believed that we were gonna finish 10th or above mate and just football teams off the park.

If only.
I'm one of them. Bit of (ok lots of) adjustment but think we will be 10th or above.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:57 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
To what end.
Our supposedly best team would still be sat on nil points, and we wouldn't be any further along the road to improving. I fail to see what we would gain from it, nothing.
We were deservedly beaten, but I took loads of positives from both games. Individuals who look like being real assets in the future, and eye openers such as how weak we are in the tackle in the middle of the pitch.
Just look at last season. Without the hits, we would never have enjoyed that 10 game winning streak. I can understand people not agreeing with me, but you're also disagreeing with the man who brought entertainment back to the Turf. He proved last season that he has the vision to see beyond a result. In MTB he was telling the directors how good Foster would be this season, when many on this board thought he wasn't good enough, one muppet even thought he was pony. Just look how right he was, and yet people still argue against his philosophy.
The thing is:

There's a lot of damaging rehotoric going around at the moment about how Vincent Kompany is the manager and therfore the fountain of all knowledge and must be infallible.

I don't understand how football managers ever get sacked if this is the case? We sacked one two seasons ago that achieved minor miracles with the club, yet he wasn't above criticism?

I personally don't think Delcroix, Trafford, Koleosho and probably Berge are at the stage where they should be starting games for us yet. I'm happy for someone to disagree but they'll have to offer a bit more than "Vincent Kompany is the manager".

BTW this isn't a dig at you and I neither agree or disagree what we are doing is right or wrong. I would certainly agree that for our long term ambitions these players are going to have to feature. That being said we also have to protect the short term goal of retaining our PL status, and I'm not sure experimenting for a few games is the best way to start.
This user liked this post: Twistedbyknaves

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6967 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:01 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
In MTB he was telling the directors how good Foster would be this season, when many on this board thought he wasn't good enough, one muppet even thought he was pony. Just look how right he was, and yet people still argue against his philosophy.
Did he? I remember him explaining that Foster would be the cheapest centre forward in the Premier League but not how good he would be. I could have missed that bit though, and he certainly seems to have gone up a gear following a full pre-season (and probably the 100+ training sessions and meetings Vinny referred to).

But if anything this just reinforces my suggestion that it could be dangerous throwing so many new players in at the deep end, as we will need to collect a significant number of points before all of these signings get up to speed. And people aren’t really arguing against Vinny’s philosophy - he clearly knows more about his group of players and football in general than any of us ever will - but we can still discuss these things. After all, there will be 3 football experts who take their teams down this season and I’m sure they won’t all get every decision correct.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 622 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:21 pm

Cornet back? That ex WHU employee guy on twitter saying we are interested

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:27 pm

CoolClaret wrote:

If only.
You started a new thread for posts like this, which you're clearly welcome to do. So put posts like this on that thread and leave this for transfer rumours, perhaps? And the same goes for anyone else derailing this one?

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:42 pm

I saw that SD was interested in Maxwel at Everton and got to wondering whether he could be assimilated into our style. Just think his injury record (and the fact that he also would be another away at AFCON?) might be the factor that says no

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:45 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:21 pm
Cornet back? That ex WHU employee guy on twitter saying we are interested
Our group discussed this on Sunday pre match, as an alternative to IM in a 3 cb team. Interesting one, but isn't he virtually a walking sicknote?

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:48 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:27 pm
You started a new thread for posts like this, which you're clearly welcome to do. So put posts like this on that thread and leave this for transfer rumours, perhaps? And the same goes for anyone else derailing this one?
:roll:

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:50 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:45 pm
Our group discussed this on Sunday pre match, as an alternative to IM in a 3 cb team. Interesting one, but isn't he virtually a walking sicknote?
Injury record not great is it

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:52 pm

Just seen cornet linked. Would love that

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:55 pm

summitclaret wrote:
What was the consensus, that it’d be bonkers?

Barring a few flashes, he flattered to deceive - I wouldn’t want him back and certainly not at a wing back.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies Quicknick

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:56 pm

DCWat wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:55 pm
What was the consensus, that it’d be bonkers?

Barring a few flashes, he flattered to deceive - I wouldn’t want him back and certainly not at a wing back.
Completely bonkers..

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:57 pm

summitclaret wrote:
However kompany and his staff have worked wonders with JBG

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 547 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:59 pm

Not for me Cornet. I think most of us loved him when he came in but he’s too injury prone for me and a little in the soft side for the most part

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:01 pm

CoolClaret wrote:

If only.
Every supporter should be absolutely delighted if we just survive this season.
Last edited by Spijed on Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 4 users liked this post: CoolClaret Vegas Claret JohnDearyMe Holtyclaret

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:01 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:01 pm
Every supporter should be absolutely delighted if we survive this season.
Yup

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:14 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:01 pm
Every supporter should be absolutely delighted if we just survive this season.
I'd be OK with that but I would be delighted if we finished top ten.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:18 pm

Moving on Daka according to Sacha.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 384 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:18 pm

Tresor's Wiki page says that we signed him on 31 August. Time machine?

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2251 times

Post by mkmel » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:21 pm

PremierLeagueClass wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:18 pm
Moving on Daka according to Sacha.
Link please

LongsideClaret
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by LongsideClaret » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:24 pm

LongsideClaret wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:19 pm
Update I’ve just got.

Tresor being worked on and looking good.
Daka from Leicester being negotiated as well (loan with option)
Apparently Maatsen still looking extremely difficult. Shame because journo news today has made this seem a lot more positive.
Sacha Tavolieri on twitter now confirming the above news RE Daka from yesterday.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:26 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:59 pm
Not for me Cornet. I think most of us loved him when he came in but he’s too injury prone for me and a little in the soft side for the most part
If he could stay fit he’d be a great Maatsen alternative. He was getting games for Lyon in that position prior to his move here.

However, his injury record is shocking and was diagnosed with a condition at the beginning of last season:

https://6foot2.co.uk/maxwel-cornet-suff ... condition/

From a sentimental point of view I’d love him back as he was a bright spark in a very drab season, but I just can’t see him staying fit consistently.