Burnley documentary coming to Sky from this season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Re: Burnley documentary coming to Sky from this season

Post by Conroy92 » Sun May 07, 2023 12:26 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:57 am
I think it would be better for some fans if we could turn the clocks back to the Fourth Division Days when nobody cared about us and many had given the club up as a lost cause. I mean, just look at this thread. It's embarrassing.
It would also keep some of them happy who missed out on the ballot :D

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun May 07, 2023 12:30 pm

FeedTheArf wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:24 pm
If you’d have told the 7yr old me who waited for an eternity to see a snippet of Burnley-related news on Ceefax that we’d have a 4 part doc on Sky I’d think you were crazy! Absolutely cannot wait to see this!
Exactly, but there are a bunch of folk on here who are never happy.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6967 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun May 07, 2023 12:30 pm

Raconteur wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:22 pm
Sorry, i should have said "Pushing his beliefs".

I am just following if, buts and maybe's and not truths.

I am just jumping to conclusions ( the same as Spiral and others after a 60 second clip) and stating that if Pace wanted to push his beliefs onto everyone, surely he would be banning the things I've mentioned.

Like i said, I am just jumping to conclusions.
Something that only posters like yourself and spiral are allowed to do.
Pushing his beliefs is a bit strong too. My point is that the documentary appears to be a medium for Pace to promote his religion. I don’t think he’s pushing it on people, or trying to convert every Burnley fan into a Mormon as ridiculously alluded to.

I don’t think I’m jumping to any conclusions. The title of the film and the trailer quite obviously point to the film having a theme of faith/religion, and I can’t believe how many people are falling over themselves to not see this or admit to it. It’s quite hilarious.

I don’t particularly have a problem with the film having a religious theme, people can choose to watch it or not, but pretending it doesn’t is just silly.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun May 07, 2023 12:34 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:30 pm
Exactly, but there are a bunch of folk on here who are never happy.
I think you’re jumping to pretty big conclusions to think that because people have a different opinion to you that they’re never happy. I’m very happy in my life and as a supporter of BFC having watched a fantastic season, and can’t wait to celebrate with the team and fans tomorrow. But that doesn’t mean I have to hide my views or bury my head in the sand about other things surrounding the club.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun May 07, 2023 12:36 pm

I was buzzing when I read the news about the documentary, but reading this thread has made me realise that even good news becomes bad news on here.
These 7 users liked this post: NewClaret Lancasterclaret RVclaret Raconteur GodIsADeeJay81 mybloodisclaret ebby

eastcoastclaret
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by eastcoastclaret » Sun May 07, 2023 12:37 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:13 pm
I'm beginning to think that we have some of the most unhappiest fans in the country. A season like this one, and we still have people looking for negatives all over the place. Enjoy the current good times because football is unpredicable, and life is way too short.
Many years ago, a friend who moved away from Burnley to go to university, believed that people from the town had a built in trait to always look for a negative in everything.

It was only when I moved away myself, that I started to notice it as well. Perhaps it isn't just a Burnley thing, but I do see it a lot when visiting this messageboard.
These 2 users liked this post: NewClaret Billy Balfour

Raconteur
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by Raconteur » Sun May 07, 2023 12:42 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Pushing his beliefs is a bit strong too. My point is that the documentary appears to be a medium for Pace to promote his religion. I don’t think he’s pushing it on people, or trying to convert every Burnley fan into a Mormon as ridiculously alluded to.

I don’t think I’m jumping to any conclusions. The title of the film and the trailer quite obviously point to the film having a theme of faith/religion, and I can’t believe how many people are falling over themselves to not see this or admit to it. It’s quite hilarious.

I don’t particularly have a problem with the film having a religious theme, people can choose to watch it or not, but pretending it doesn’t is just silly.
To be honest, my gripe on this thread was with what Spiral was saying and after reading back on some of his posts, i was correct.

To quote Spiral from one of his smaller posts -

"More precisely, with Burnley FC being used in an attempt to low-key evangelise"

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun May 07, 2023 12:45 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:36 pm
I was buzzing when I read the news about the documentary, but reading this thread has made me realise that even good news becomes bad news on here.
If you check out the responses on Twitter/YouTube/Instagram etc you will see a pretty amazing response full of excitement. I didn’t see a single comment elsewhere regarding religion.
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun May 07, 2023 12:48 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:45 pm
If you check out the responses on Twitter/YouTube/Instagram etc you will see a pretty amazing response full of excitement. I didn’t see a single comment elsewhere regarding religion.
This board has quite a reputation on every other social media site it has to be said (hint - its not a good one)

HistoricalClaret
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by HistoricalClaret » Sun May 07, 2023 12:55 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:48 pm
This board has quite a reputation on every other social media site it has to be said (hint - its not a good one)
There's a reason why, its a steaming hole of confirmation bias and self importance only reason I come one is for: A morning giggle, ITK information from the few here that actually are and probably some anger management by calling out dumb people saying dumb things. Few good people on here but there's far more idiots sadly.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun May 07, 2023 1:02 pm

Rileybobs wrote:

I think the theme was pretty conclusively the running of Burnley football club.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun May 07, 2023 1:06 pm

martin_p wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:02 pm
I think the theme was pretty conclusively the running of Burnley football club.
So you don’t think the film will have a theme of faith/religion? If it doesn’t then it’s not been marketed very well.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun May 07, 2023 1:11 pm

Can't wait to start the conversion to Mormonism and to attend a place of worship with you all....

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sun May 07, 2023 1:11 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:06 pm
So you don’t think the film will have a theme of faith/religion? If it doesn’t then it’s not been marketed very well.
Depends what you mean by theme. It’s inevitable it will be there as it plays a big part in our chairman’s life and it looks like he’s the main focus, but theme?

To use continue the comparison I’ve used in several replies I don’t read a book about Bob Lord and immediately link onto butchery as a theme.

It’s a reaction to religion full stop that has caused some knees to jerk on here.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun May 07, 2023 1:25 pm

martin_p wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:11 pm
Depends what you mean by theme. It’s inevitable it will be there as it plays a big part in our chairman’s life and it looks like he’s the main focus, but theme?

To use continue the comparison I’ve used in several replies I don’t read a book about Bob Lord and immediately link onto butchery as a theme.

It’s a reaction to religion full stop that has caused some knees to jerk on here.
Well what I mean by theme is what the word theme means. I don’t think the Bob Lord comparison is very good to be honest.

One of the main aspects of Mormonism is spreading the word of their religion to expand its membership. That is not a secret. So if you don’t think that a documentary about Alan Pace titled ‘Mission to Burnley’ which features numerous religiously themed clips in a short trailer and is described by Pace himself as ‘At its heart it’s a story of family, faith, friendship, and of course football’ is in part a vehicle by Pace to spread the word of Mormonism then I believe you are either incredibly naive or in some form of denial. I think most on here fall into the latter.

Anyway, we really are going round in circles and as I’ve said I’m very much looking forward to the documentary, because as well as promoting Mormonism, which it inevitably will, it will also promote the town and the club. And a documentary featuring this superb season should be a great watch. I’m just very confident in my feelings about this and will happily revisit the thread in September regardless of if I’m right or wrong.

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sun May 07, 2023 1:28 pm

Wouldn’t it be strange if in 2000 yrs an amazing man called Pace had brought peace to the world ,and ended all wars ,and he started from a little town called Burnley ( Bethlehem),& at he had to battle for years to convert some of the Up the Clarets forum members(Doubting Thomases),& he turned water into Benny ,& Hot ,but many were so afraid ,but they still worshiped at the Church of Turf Moor and prayed to The Father ,the Son,& The Holy Ghost ,( ie Alan Pace ,VK,and Ashley Barnes),if this as offended anyone’s religious beliefs I apologise .
This user liked this post: Jellybean

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sun May 07, 2023 1:35 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:25 pm
Well what I mean by theme is what the word theme means. I don’t think the Bob Lord comparison is very good to be honest.

One of the main aspects of Mormonism is spreading the word of their religion to expand its membership. That is not a secret. So if you don’t think that a documentary about Alan Pace titled ‘Mission to Burnley’ which features numerous religiously themed clips in a short trailer and is described by Pace himself as ‘At its heart it’s a story of family, faith, friendship, and of course football’ is in part a vehicle by Pace to spread the word of Mormonism then I believe you are either incredibly naive or in some form of denial. I think most on here fall into the latter.

Anyway, we really are going round in circles and as I’ve said I’m very much looking forward to the documentary, because as well as promoting Mormonism, which it inevitably will, it will also promote the town and the club. And a documentary featuring this superb season should be a great watch. I’m just very confident in my feelings about this and will happily revisit the thread in September regardless of if I’m right or wrong.
We are going round in circles, but I come back to looking at the last 2 plus years under Pace and trying to find any time he’s tried to use the club to support his faith. He just hasn’t. And let’s not forget, it’s not actually him who owns the club, he acts on behalf of ALK as a whole, so he can’t just do what he wants.
These 2 users liked this post: Carwin261 GodIsADeeJay81

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun May 07, 2023 1:40 pm

Rileybobs wrote:

We're a majority atheistic country, because as a whole we're moving past the need for religion (thankfully)

A TV show about a football club and it's owners isn't going to change anybody, let's be honest, it's just some extreme opinion that a few of you have about it

Ever since the owners took over, they've been targeted for abuse on here due to their religion yet you lot claim it's their religion that's the issue ....I'm not sure it is tbh.

If, like me, you don't like their religion then that's fine, but bringing it up every single chance you can to lob abuse at the owners is just weird.

I'm an atheist and I don't think I've ever felt the need to target our owners religious beliefs on here.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sun May 07, 2023 1:43 pm

I read the first few posts on this thread within the hour of the news breaking. I’ve has a weekend family event and am just returning to it and was alarmed to see it had grown to six pages as that can only spell contention. I was disappointed that my fear was confirmed

I’m sorry Rileys, but you’re looking for something that is not there. There are three things that are clear to us about Alan Pace. He has legitimate religious beliefs, is a strong family man, and a successful business man. The phrase ‘At its heart it’s a story of family, faith, friendship, and of course football’ is as good a phrase as a promoter could have possibly written as every aspect of it is not just true, but compelling. I should know, I do this stuff for a living.

For you to go beyond insinuation and blatantly shout out a not-so-hidden agenda speaks to your own neurosis than any real or subliminal attempt to religiously indoctrinate
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 RVclaret taio

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun May 07, 2023 1:52 pm

Looking forward to watching it - thanks for posting about it.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Bosscat

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Sun May 07, 2023 1:54 pm

There are 6.7 million Mormons. If they all perceive we are their club of choice then we suddenly have an immense fan base:-). More seriously Sky would have been looking for an angle. And depending on timing it may have been too late for a Vinny related one. The most quirky thing about Pace is his religion so that is the spin they put on it. No big deal. If SD was still here it could well have been brexit and racism. I think Pace’s religion is a better strap line.

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Sun May 07, 2023 2:05 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
One of the main aspects of Mormonism is spreading the word of their religion to expand its membership. That is not a secret.
To be fair, that’s not unique to Mormonism either.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun May 07, 2023 2:55 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:40 pm
We're a majority atheistic country, because as a whole we're moving past the need for religion (thankfully)

A TV show about a football club and it's owners isn't going to change anybody, let's be honest, it's just some extreme opinion that a few of you have about it

Ever since the owners took over, they've been targeted for abuse on here due to their religion yet you lot claim it's their religion that's the issue ....I'm not sure it is tbh.

If, like me, you don't like their religion then that's fine, but bringing it up every single chance you can to lob abuse at the owners is just weird.

I'm an atheist and I don't think I've ever felt the need to target our owners religious beliefs on here.
Why is my opinion extreme? I haven’t claimed that this documentary will change anybody. And why are you grouping me with people who have targeted the owners with abuse by using the term ‘you lot’. I have never abused the owners of BFC and actually like Pace.

I also haven’t said I don’t like their religion. So I think 90% of your post is completely misdirected.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sun May 07, 2023 2:58 pm

That 60 second trailer has generated some quality content on here already, can’t wait for the full documentary.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun May 07, 2023 3:00 pm

NRC wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:43 pm
I read the first few posts on this thread within the hour of the news breaking. I’ve has a weekend family event and am just returning to it and was alarmed to see it had grown to six pages as that can only spell contention. I was disappointed that my fear was confirmed

I’m sorry Rileys, but you’re looking for something that is not there. There are three things that are clear to us about Alan Pace. He has legitimate religious beliefs, is a strong family man, and a successful business man. The phrase ‘At its heart it’s a story of family, faith, friendship, and of course football’ is as good a phrase as a promoter could have possibly written as every aspect of it is not just true, but compelling. I should know, I do this stuff for a living.

For you to go beyond insinuation and blatantly shout out a not-so-hidden agenda speaks to your own neurosis than any real or subliminal attempt to religiously indoctrinate
I’m not looking for anything. The very title of the film screams religion, I’m honestly surprised that there only seems to be a few people who can see this. ‘Mission to Burnley’ doesn’t even make sense in any other context.

And your accusation that I am going beyond insinuation to shout out a not so hidden agenda is quite wide of the mark. And I haven’t said that the film is a subliminal attempt to religiously indoctrinate- I don’t think there’s any attempt to indoctrinate, where have I said this? Unless you think that missionary work is indoctrination?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun May 07, 2023 3:05 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 2:55 pm
Why is my opinion extreme? I haven’t claimed that this documentary will change anybody. And why are you grouping me with people who have targeted the owners with abuse by using the term ‘you lot’. I have never abused the owners of BFC and actually like Pace.

I also haven’t said I don’t like their religion. So I think 90% of your post is completely misdirected.
You're point blank convinced it's about converting people
I'm lumping you with the others because yes you've taken the extreme view about a short trailer.

You don't like the religion because you're here fretting about it.

It's not misdirected at all, if you don't like the label, stop making a big deal out of very little.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun May 07, 2023 3:10 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:30 pm
Pete will be along to **** on it soon.
At the point where some numpty suggests it's going to be bigger than a Ryan Reynolds movie I will feel obliged to step in lest the world thinks that all Burnley fans our parochial hillbillies who believe anything that's said to them...

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun May 07, 2023 3:11 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 3:00 pm
I’m not looking for anything. The very title of the film screams religion, I’m honestly surprised that there only seems to be a few people who can see this. ‘Mission to Burnley’ doesn’t even make sense in any other context.

And your accusation that I am going beyond insinuation to shout out a not so hidden agenda is quite wide of the mark. And I haven’t said that the film is a subliminal attempt to religiously indoctrinate- I don’t think there’s any attempt to indoctrinate, where have I said this? Unless you think that missionary work is indoctrination?
Your fishing mission seems to be working Riley ...

Oh sorry you will probably think thats religious because I used the word mission 🤣.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun May 07, 2023 3:11 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 3:05 pm
You're point blank convinced it's about converting people
I'm lumping you with the others because yes you've taken the extreme view about a short trailer.

You don't like the religion because you're here fretting about it.

It's not misdirected at all, if you don't like the label, stop making a big deal out of very little.
1.) I’m not point blank convinced it’s about converting people.
2.) I haven’t expressed a single view that could be described as extreme.
3.) I don’t dislike the religion.
4.) You are misdirected and misguided, as my points above prove.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun May 07, 2023 3:12 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 3:11 pm
Your fishing mission seems to be working Riley ...

Oh sorry you will probably think thats religious because I used the word mission 🤣.
Im not fishing, just stating the obvious.

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Sun May 07, 2023 3:56 pm

Any chance we can lock this tread Tony? Its a football forum we subscribe to, not a religious one.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat RVclaret

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Sun May 07, 2023 4:02 pm

This all seems to be getting a bit silly now. ‘Mission To Burnley’ is about a blatant a pun as one can think of about a football club run by a group of Mormons, it would be a dereliction of duty on the part of the producers not to go for it. You’d imagine the target audience is wider than just Burnley fans so tapping into that angle of super polite Americans (*cough* Ted Lasso) seems an obvious pitch, and it gives the club yet more exposure that would have been unthinkable a couple of years ago.

In the end what does any of that matter? We have what looks to be a high quality 4 part documentary that will show what’s been an incredible season in spectacular detail, which will do for me.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sun May 07, 2023 4:10 pm

Raconteur wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:42 pm
To be honest, my gripe on this thread was with what Spiral was saying and after reading back on some of his posts, i was correct.

To quote Spiral from one of his smaller posts -

"More precisely, with Burnley FC being used in an attempt to low-key evangelise"
Right, first and foremost I know I said I'd fk off but my name keeps being mentioned, so here we are. I'm basically Candyman.

Secondly, don't think I can't hear the snark through that comment about a 'smaller post'. It's piteous to behave that way.

Okay, on to the business. This is mostly now a general comment, not any kind of direct response. Rileybobs had addressed some of the badly made accusations made at he and I and I don't think there's much else I can add to what he's said with respect to correcting the misrepresentation of mine and his comments that this documentary is somehow designed to convert people to Mormonism. It's not what we're saying. It's a branding exercise; a branding exercise done in service of evangelical ideals, but it's not being used to proselytise as such, and to imply that's what we're saying is either bad faith or downright ignorant. I was deliberate in using the word "low-key" next to evangelism, because Pace isn't a street prophet, he isn't a door knocker, he isn't handing out pamphlets to passers-by in town centres...that's what the teenagers and young adults at his church do. No, but seriously, Checketts, who sits on the board, was up until a few years ago recently the President of the LDS London Mission. He was openly over here on religious mission. Bear that in mind reading the rest of this post.

Let me approach this from a different angle.

I genuinely believe, and I'm sure many will agree, that we are one of, if not the COOLEST football club currently operating in England. Pace talked about stories in his first interview, and he's on to something. Clubs have narratives surrounding them which informs how they are perceived. Some of that story is natural and organic, other times it's because of a lot of hard work in developing and curating a brand. Think about it. In the last year we've put the old playstyle in the bin. We know now from everything that has come out in interviews that from the minute we sacked Dyche there was a clear direction in mind. The old perception was awful, everyone hated Burnley (so what, couldn't give a pi$$ personally, but it affects the brand). We were basically Stoke in the Pulis years. Dirty, run-down old $hithole with a $hit team playing $hit football, everything is ancient, everything is grey, everything has the stink of pi$$. So we work toward a more beautiful playstyle. That's cool. We hire a young, exciting, up and coming, talented, handsome, well dressed, tactically brilliant, thoughtful and charismatic manager who also happens to be a living legend in English football, so recently a player that he's still in the minds of even the youngest fans. He's also cool as fk. So that's cool. We modernise the ground. That's cool. We liberate the media team and go on a social media rampage in the summer to the point where there were numerous articles written about how cool our reveal videos are. That's cool. We build a young and energetic and aggressive team. That's cool. We have more flair players than we can get on the pitch at once. That's cool. We have (objectively) the coolest looking kit in the league. That's cool. Our shirt sponsor is 'classic football shirts'. That's cool. We dominate games. That's cool. We pi$$ the league. That's cool. We get promoted. That's cool. All this contributes to building a cool brand. We've operated this last year with the energy of a disruptor brand. A new kid on the block. There's a cool factor to all of this.

Now on the other hand, you've got this religion which has this reputation of being practiced by what some would view as cultish weirdos. It's unfashionable, it's a bit conservative, it all sounds really dull and really strange to an outsider. It's uncool. It's VERY uncool. The church's missionaries are sent to England to spread the gospel. But before you can do that you need to penetrate the preconceived ideas people have about the religion. Like I said earlier in the thread, nobody is interested in Mormonism at face value. So how do you intrigue people in order to get them to at least listen? Through branding. You need to lay some groundwork before evangelising in earnest. The same branding principles that have been applied to Burnley FC can also be applied to a religion. But it looks too obvious, too 'youth pastor' cringe to do it at face value. So you place this uncool religion in proximity to something that in incredibly cool: the ascent and rebirth of Burnley FC. Proximity: remember this idea. The idea is for the cool factor to rub off on Mormonism. If people watch a really cool documentary about a really cool club, Burnley FC, and you juxtapose the football story with the faith story, the coolness rubs off on the faith. This cynicism is at the heart of what I anticipate I will find contentious, and the trailer and the title of the documentary are the warning signs that inform this idea of mine.
This user liked this post: Carwin261

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 311 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Sun May 07, 2023 4:21 pm

When I go for a sh!te and then flush, the water spirals,
now I know why that is his username.

Trying to ruin a great news thread by talking negative sh!te.

Hope you don’t try and ruin the other great news announced today .
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Jellybean