O/T Affiliate Marketing

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Fretters
Been Liked: 1052 times
Has Liked: 556 times

O/T Affiliate Marketing

Post by Fretters » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:59 pm

Hi all,

I run a local business selling wood finishing products (stain/dye, varnish, wax etc.) so, as you can imagine, a lot of our customers share beautiful imagery online of their products finished in our stuff. I'm dipping my toe into the affiliate marketing game where customers can share a unique link with their photos/reels and generate a commission (paid by us) to any orders generated via that link.

I've been approached by a couple of agencies who will run this for us and get us on an affiliate network (a website full of affiliates looking for products to share) for around £500 per month, plus commission. All in all, any sale from this will cost us around 20% commission to total, paid across the agency, the network and the affiliate, plus the monthly £500.

I've done as much research as I can, but the majority is aimed at the affiliates themselves, not the businesses looking to utilise them.

So, I'm reaching out to the informed UTC masses as you have served me so well before! Does anybody have any experience in this, and would you recommend going with an agency? I know Leon_C knows his stuff around attraction marketing.

Thanks

ynot
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Re: O/T Affiliate Marketing

Post by ynot » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:02 pm

Have a look at Awin

http://www.awin.com/gb

Claretprinter
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Claretprinter » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:59 pm

Do you use PPC?
Seems alot, unless you do 50k a month turnover

Fretters

Post by Fretters » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:57 pm

ynot wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:02 pm
Have a look at Awin

http://www.awin.com/gb
That's the very network that we'd be using!

Fretters

Post by Fretters » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:58 pm

Claretprinter wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:59 pm
Do you use PPC?
Seems alot, unless you do 50k a month turnover
Yeah, we run Google search and shopping PPC. The beauty of affiliate marketing is you only pay when they make a sale for you.

And what do you mean, seems a lot? The £500 per month fee?

Fence Claret

Post by Fence Claret » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:55 pm

Fretters wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:58 pm
The beauty of affiliate marketing is you only pay when they make a sale for you.
That’s what the networks say, but from a technical point of view, you’ll typically pay when a customer clicks on an affiliate ad up to 30 days prior to making a purchase, regardless of whether the ad meaningfully contributes to the purchase.

In my experience, affiliate marketing is quite a poor channel for incremental-sales.

Fretters

Post by Fretters » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:17 am

Fence Claret wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:55 pm
That’s what the networks say, but from a technical point of view, you’ll typically pay when a customer clicks on an affiliate ad up to 30 days prior to making a purchase, regardless of whether the ad meaningfully contributes to the purchase.

In my experience, affiliate marketing is quite a poor channel for incremental-sales.
It's a flat fee to the network, then a commission on sales, which we can obviously see and track. If we end up being charged for commission on clicks, I'll be knocking it on the head. Thanks for the heads up.

Leon_C
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 150 times

Post by Leon_C » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:22 pm

Fence Claret wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:55 pm

I guess this depends on LTV... if you maintain a customer relationship with repeat purchase for a couple of years, then you you can absorb a chunkier cost per acquisition. This obviously depends on the motivations of the customer. If they're buying your product quality or service, then you're in luck.
If you're in a low-loyalty price-sensitive market, then the likes of Amazon will be biting your CPA!