Ground Capacity Increase.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Re: Ground Capacity Increase.

Post by Claretforever » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:32 pm

dibraidio wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:30 am
Serveral thoughts spring to mind. Would the existing foundations be strong enough to support that sort of extension? Presumably yes because otherwise they'd not have gone as far with the design.
Are the existing exits sufficient for increased capacity? With all the buildings along the front of the Bob Lord I can't see us creating any new ones.
Could they build an additional concourse above the existing courtyard area at the cricket field end behind the Bob Lord?
Would they really go for a cantilever roof these days or one with supports either side like the new one at Anfield?
Would it be possible to build the extra capacity and roof and still keep the Bob Lord open?
If the club were to do it I'm sure they would combine it with replacing the wooden seats to have the whole stand in line and that could almost double the capacity. I know it would upset a few people but ALK are more about making money than keeping old folks happy.

The only reason I can so for doing it however is if there is a significant increase in seats that can be sold with hospitality packages. Other than that it's a waste of money and the payback won't be quick enough for ALK as it will take decades.
All valid questions and some of which I’ve already mentioned previously. Cantilever or goalpost design? I would imagine the new club shop would prevent the latter now?

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3119 times
Has Liked: 3843 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:19 pm

Claretforever wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:28 pm
I suppose another question might be when do you do it?

We have the Cricket Field stand which is in desperate need of a new roof as the entire structure is suspect and only just passing safety inspections.

Also, let’s say that we should let do it when in the Premier League because we pretty much fill the ground so capacity would have to drop.

Then we add in the revenue conundrum you pondered; what’s the point in a few million revenue when we get £120m?

I suppose I’d say this; we HAVE to do the Cricket Field soon. Whether it’s a full stand or new roof it HAS to be done.

Also, do we do it when we are in the Premier League with lots of money, or when we’re in the Championship and can’t afford it, and when crowds might not justify it for some fans? That’s a never ending dilemma.
I agree.

I’m my view ground investment and development is not optional. It’s like maintaining your home or car - if you don’t do it you they go to ruin. Birmingham being a good example who’ve allowed that to happen and now don’t have the money to fix the issues.

The CFS and BL haven’t seen investment for 50 years. How long can you sustain this underinvestment? 60 years? 70? The answer is that you can’t go much longer.

So then you have to ask do you rebuild the same to modern standards or accommodate a capacity increase at the same time and I’d personally go for a small increase if we have a ST waiting list.

As per previous, this should have been done when we had loads of cash in the bank. That ships sailed but the problem is not going away.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3119 times
Has Liked: 3843 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:28 pm

Spijed wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:13 pm
What does "Belonging" in the Premier league actually mean?
It’s a good question. For me it’s an ambition to strive for and involves the quality of the playing staff, back room staff, fan base, training ground, stadium, history etc.

Leicester for example may not be in the Premier League but ‘belong’ there, I would say. There is a difference between belonging at a level and deserving to be at that level though.

For us I’d say we’ll need another long stint and some significant investment in infrastructure like the ground as well as on field to say that because relegation sets you back a lot.

BillyIngham'sShorts
Been Liked: 38 times

Post by BillyIngham'sShorts » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:18 pm

Course we need to increase capacity. If now is not the time then when. It’s so flipping obvious that we need to increase capacity . I dream of having a great big stand where that tin shed of a bob lord is.
This user liked this post: bfcwest

BillyIngham'sShorts
Been Liked: 38 times

Post by BillyIngham'sShorts » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:18 pm

Course we need to increase capacity. If now is not the time then when. It’s so flipping obvious that we need to increase capacity . I dream of having a great big stand where that tin shed of a bob lord is.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:10 pm

BillyIngham'sShorts wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:18 pm
I'm in full agreement that we need somehow to get to 25/26000, but we're never going to demolish the bob lord and build new after the recent upgrades to the offices and club shop etc. As I've said in an earlier post as I see it the only way we're going to increase the capacity of that stand is by adding to, tbf the frontage etc looks quite good since the upgrade, but I feel sure their has to be a way to build on to increase the capacity. And then the one we need to rebuild is the cfs.