Wout is back

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Re: Wout is back

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:54 pm

The one thing that stood out for me last season was the happiness / togetherness of the fisrt 11 team and squad. We even had a thread on it for pics.

I really do not see WW as being part of that community. For me, get rid.

RPH
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by RPH » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:57 pm

If Kompany is happy, we should be happy, although Roberts should have a say! None of us will know the dressing room situation until maybe season 2 of Mission to Burnley ;) We need a target man, and we have one on our books. Wout

We don't have to pay any money except his wages that we expected to pay anyway. He has Premier League experience, and with the shape of how we play we don't have to rely on him for goals, he just needs to bring others into play.

I say, lets see what happens. Wout has to compete with those in his position, and if he proves he should start, he should. Plus, as Burnley fans, we always need a pantomine character. It looks like he's all ready for it.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:06 am

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:44 pm
More long paragraphs of nothingness. Weghorst was excellent dropping deep and linking play, that assists for Rodriguez (Man Utd home) was pure quality. For a big slow guy he didn’t half wriggle out of tackles on the halfway line and spray it wide with quality. Ran his absolute arse off from the front too. His goal scoring record is questionable, the rest of his game isn’t.

As for Jay, you’re clutching at straws mentioning his shooting ability when his goal record is worse than Wouts.
You know you can't just say 'paragraph of nothingness' (not the first time you've said something like that) as though that's a counterargument? It makes you look really silly when you go on to actually reply to said 'nothingness', because you're either responding to 'nothing', or said 'nothingness' is in fact 'something' worthy of response, contradicting your claim of 'nothingness'. I think what is actually happening is that you're triggered by a post longer than the length of a tweet. Anything more than 240 characters, the level of discourse with which you're more comfortable and familiar, requires you to put in a bit of effort to respond to to any degree of satisfaction. So instead, because you're basically lazy, you dismiss the post as 'nothingness'.

If this 'rest of his game' is what we're debating, we've got evidence of him playing in our type of system with better players (at ManU) and doing four fifths of fk all in it. His layoffs can be nice, his chest control reasonable — in a sentence, he has some of the attributes of a bang average target man without any of the goals or aerial threat (offensively or defensively) of an actual target man. His work rate has never been doubted, but then never was the work rate of so many second rate footballers. If those are the grounds on which you're building a defence of Wout Weghorst you come across as lacking, because his willingness to run around, pretty much the one thing people mostly agree on, is nothing that can't be found in other more effective players. I think there's perhaps a reason why when he left last summer he ended up in Turkey of all places, and it was only the desperation of UTD that brought him back to England.

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:55 am

Alanstevensonsgloves wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:54 pm
The one thing that stood out for me last season was the happiness / togetherness of the fisrt 11 team and squad. We even had a thread on it for pics.

This is the weirdest argument of all. We have absolutely no idea how Weghorst is viewed by the squad (most of whom have probably never met him before) and have never met the guy and have no idea what his personality is like but can still somehow judge what they think about him and how he'll fit in.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:29 am

The oddities start on the close, "get rid" exactly to who you might be forgiven for wondering, in the absence of any ensuing stampede of clubs vying for his services, the penny looks to have hit gravity that it could be fruitful giving him a go rather than shedding a load of cash & giving him away for next to nothing.

Robbie_painter
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Robbie_painter » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:18 am

Spiral wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:06 am
You know you can't just say 'paragraph of nothingness' (not the first time you've said something like that) as though that's a counterargument? It makes you look really silly when you go on to actually reply to said 'nothingness', because you're either responding to 'nothing', or said 'nothingness' is in fact 'something' worthy of response, contradicting your claim of 'nothingness'. I think what is actually happening is that you're triggered by a post longer than the length of a tweet. Anything more than 240 characters, the level of discourse with which you're more comfortable and familiar, requires you to put in a bit of effort to respond to to any degree of satisfaction. So instead, because you're basically lazy, you dismiss the post as 'nothingness'.

If this 'rest of his game' is what we're debating, we've got evidence of him playing in our type of system with better players (at ManU) and doing four fifths of fk all in it. His layoffs can be nice, his chest control reasonable — in a sentence, he has some of the attributes of a bang average target man without any of the goals or aerial threat (offensively or defensively) of an actual target man. His work rate has never been doubted, but then never was the work rate of so many second rate footballers. If those are the grounds on which you're building a defence of Wout Weghorst you come across as lacking, because his willingness to run around, pretty much the one thing people mostly agree on, is nothing that can't be found in other more effective players. I think there's perhaps a reason why when he left last summer he ended up in Turkey of all places, and it was only the desperation of UTD that brought him back to England.
Just to prove your point here’s yet more paragraphs of nothingness.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:09 am

Alanstevensonsgloves wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:54 pm

It has just been updated 😲

roperclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by roperclaret » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:19 am

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:51 pm
He's got the unlucky 13 squad number 😂

Screenshot_20230714-174926_Chrome.jpg
Missed a trick there. Should have gone with 88

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1076 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:28 am

roperclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:19 am
Missed a trick there. Should have gone with 88
Or 666 with most fans thanking he's the devil :lol:

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:23 am

I've never known something so blown out of proportion. It's really not an phenomenon that Roberts said what he did. Players will do this all the time to try and gain an advantage on an opponent.

It doesn't matter if they play for the same club team. They want their country to win.
I'm sure if the same attention was given to what the likes of Roy Keane or Patrick Vierra said to their club mates when playing for a different country fans would be thinking those players hate everyone in their club teams. Thinking there is anything to it is assuming some kind of school playground drama. These are grown men FFS.

Not just this but I'm really struggling to understand the hatred. Why take Roberts side when he is the aggressor?

It's been stated multiple times that van Gaal only picks players who play top flight football so Weghorst leaving simply did what everyone would have done to stand a chance of playing for their country.

Like him or loathe him he's a Burnley player and we should support him.
These 2 users liked this post: Paul Waine Burnley Ace

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:47 am

He's not done much wrong, I'd expect an ambitious professional to want to stay at the top level to fulfil his World Cup ambitions. The only disappointment was it could of been a loan until January then come back and help us, can't blame him for taking the Man Utd opportunity too any player in our squad would do that tomorrow given a chance.
If he comes back and gives 100% then all is forgiven

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3965 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:54 am

superdimitri wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:23 am

It's been stated multiple times that van Gaal only picks players who play top flight football so Weghorst leaving simply did what everyone would have done to stand a chance of playing for their country.
Perhaps more importantly, it seems pretty clear that a relegation clause was built into his contract that allowed him to seek top flight football if we were to be relegated, (for the reason you state).
Assuming that that is correct, then it's not a problem at all. The club knew this when they signed him, and arguably it saved us a significant wage all last season thus contributing, (in no small part) to the wages of those loan players.

redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by redwasp » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:02 am

Wout is back in Holland. I can confirm he was on a KLM flight from Manchester last night.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:11 am

superdimitri wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:23 am
I've never known something so blown out of proportion. It's really not an phenomenon that Roberts said what he did. Players will do this all the time to try and gain an advantage on an opponent.

Didn't Roberts say something like "why couldn't you do that for Burnley?", or similar?
Like you say, the little tiff is nothing in the scheme of things.
These 2 users liked this post: Leon_C dsr

redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by redwasp » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:22 am

My son in law has gone to Amsterdam on a stag do, he should have gone on easyJet but they cancelled the flight so they had to get another one and got on KLM and Wout was on. He was happy to have his picture taken with the lads so probably nothing suspicious, just going home for the weekend.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:55 pm

aggi wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:55 am
This is the weirdest argument of all. We have absolutely no idea how Weghorst is viewed by the squad (most of whom have probably never met him before) and have never met the guy and have no idea what his personality is like but can still somehow judge what they think about him and how he'll fit in.
evensteadiereddie wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:35 pm
Then again, if he'd not been doing that our body language experts would no doubt have been telling us how disinterested and isolated he looked...
Don't worry lads I've cracked it and conducted a comprehensive analysis:
Weghorst Body Language.jpg
Weghorst Body Language.jpg (502.99 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
As we can clearly see, he's a striker who can't score, can't head, has no pace so can't press, has an awful attitude and ego the size of a house, and nobody in any team likes him or vice versa.

As for how despite all this he's a regular for the Netherlands and was a regular when United loaned him, it's simple- everyone in Dutch football is wrong. Obvious really.
These 9 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret CoolClaret Rileybobs HahaYeah longsidepies Leon_C Quicknick Vegas Claret the_magic_rat

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:11 pm

Major jealous ex vibes from a lot of people ITT… get a grip

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 311 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:17 pm

So disrespectful of a proven top level player, disgusting and childish.

He will fit in far better with Burnley’s style than Uniteds it was shocking how some of their prima donna players ignored a pass to him so they could go alone and shoot from distance or a dribble too much, when I was watching their games.

jos
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by jos » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:18 pm

Who was the last Burnley player that divided opinion so much?

I’m not keen on him.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:21 pm

jos wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:18 pm
I'd say Jamie Hoyland

Leon_C
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Leon_C » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:32 pm

Has anybody on this board actually had a conversation with a member of our first team squad or coaching staff, about Weghorst?
These 2 users liked this post: thehistorylecturer62 Quicknick

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:34 pm

jos wrote:

I’m not keen on him.
Chris Eagles ?
I thought he was terrific but some thought he should have been better than Messi.

Leon_C
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Leon_C » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:35 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:11 am
Didn't Roberts say something like "why couldn't you do that for Burnley?", or similar?
Like you say, the little tiff is nothing in the scheme of things.
Exactly this. I was at an under 13s game today. There are some real tiffs between the lads, but they all happily walk off at the end, shake hands, and half of them go to the same school. Analysing and amplifying micro-moments between two footballers is a dangerous thing to do.

It was funny at the time, but if we're queuing that up to castigate one of our first team, then that's quite daft, in my opinion.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3965 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:43 pm

jos wrote:
Without doubt - at the point when we were rumoured to be signing him - Joey Barton.
He didn't turn out to be too bad as I recall.
These 2 users liked this post: thehistorylecturer62 Burnley Ace

thehistorylecturer62
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by thehistorylecturer62 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:44 pm

Leon_C wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:32 pm
Has anybody on this board actually had a conversation with a member of our first team squad or coaching staff, about Weghorst?
Yes 😉
This user liked this post: Leon_C

davideyresleftear
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by davideyresleftear » Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:37 pm

They’re competitive athletes who had just finished a poor season, a tiff or a bust up isn’t a big deal. It probably happens all the time. Connor and Wout probably sit there laughing at social media and its hot takes on the feud they’ve already buried.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:44 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:22 pm
Biggest load of ******** ever posted on UTC/Clarets Mad

Absolutely 0 ‘league one strikers’ bag two in a World Cup quarter final against the eventual winners, or starts in a league cup final for Man United
So he scored zero goals for Man Utd in the prem, being provided by the best of the best. Remind me how many he scored for us.

Penwortham_Claret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Penwortham_Claret » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:52 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:44 pm
So he scored zero goals for Man Utd in the prem, being provided by the best of the best. Remind me how many he scored for us.
The same amount as Jay I believe

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11060 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:34 am

Leave it to VK to decide and lock this dogshit thread

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:53 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:34 am
Leave it to VK to decide and lock this dogshit thread
Exactly let's leave it to Vincent to decide and if he stays he stays and if he goes he goes.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:55 am

Our fans need to start getting some realism again or return to cloud cuckoo land if they feel a current Dutch international footballer who has played for Besiktas, Wolfsburg and Man Unt in the last 12-18 months is not good enough for us. And you are slagging Coventry fans off on another thread. Irony at its finest.

frankinwales
Been Liked: 86 times
Has Liked: 651 times

Post by frankinwales » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:05 am

Penwortham_Claret wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:52 pm
Hi Penwortham claret.

Not sure about him being provided by the best

True he did miss some easier opportunities but, as I've said on here before from the highlight packages I saw quite often his man u teammates wouldn't pass to him.

Whether it's because they didn't rate him or something else?

Up the Clarets.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

frankinwales
Been Liked: 86 times
Has Liked: 651 times

Post by frankinwales » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:19 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:44 pm
Edit... Meant to quote this.

Up the Clarets.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:24 am

I bet Jadon Sancho and Anthony are over the moon with their performances last season being described the best of the best

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:26 pm

Penwortham_Claret wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:52 pm
So when exactly did Jay play for Man Utd?