Weghorst Reception

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Re: Weghorst Reception

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:00 pm

Stick my two penneth in again ,When Ashley Barnes left would he ever have signed for Rovers?
If Weghorst were offered £50,000 a week to play for them ,would he sign?

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:01 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:22 pm
No he clearly was not better. He scored no goal for Man Utd. Who will create 5 more chances a game than we will.
I said before he came to us, his record before he joined us was prolific in the Bundesliga.
He deserved the opportunity to fight for his world cup place.
Really don't see the issue some fans need to grow up
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick Colburn_Claret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:03 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:58 pm
No one would have had a problem if Weghorst had left and been sold to another club.

But he wasn't good enough to attract a satisfactory offer - went off for year's loan to Besiktas - and then left them in the lurch to sign for United, where he also failed to impress and was unwanted.

Now that Burnley have won promotion back to the Premier League - due to the efforts of others - he turns up to pick up his Premier League wages from us again.

How on earth that is comparable to Ben Mee giving a decade of outstanding service but not being offered the deal he wanted and going to Brentford, or Pope signing for Newcastle, is beyond me.
Come off it Forza

they all made career choices for the good of their families and careers

I completely get that some fans want to single out Weghorst for having the temerity to say "I need to leave for the good of my career" but that doesn't change the fact that they all left for "the good of my career"

It doesn't bother me in the slightest and the key point is still this

THEY SHOULDN'T GET BOOED DURING THE GAME

That is surely inarguable and it shouldn't happen again
These 3 users liked this post: RVclaret nil_desperandum Quicknick

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:06 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:03 pm
Come off it Forza

I completely get that some fans want to single out Weghorst for having the temerity to say "I need to leave for the good of my career" but that doesn't change the fact that they all left for "the good of my career"

I think you are missing the point here, LC.
The players who left have left, never to return. To some Wout is hanging hanging around like a stale fart.
This user liked this post: forzagranata

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 547 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:08 pm

What a way to back your team.

You might not agree with what he did when we went down, but if you can’t see that booing and jeering hun will only affect the team as a whole then you’re quite simply a moron.

You had the privilege to travel to Belgium to watch and support the club today and instead did that.

Get behind him, he’s our player and until that changes he needs backing to perform to the best he can for BFC.

Embarrassing behaviour.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:09 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:51 pm
No one

I mean, no one is going to argue that players left BFC for the benefit of their own careers but because one actually said it, he's the one we should single out

Career choice end of the day
I don't disagree that players leaving clubs to benefit their career is not unusual but I can't even begin to try and compare what Mee, Tarks, Pope, McNeil did as even being in the same ballpark as this.

Not one of those players came across as being too good for this club when it went down. They were all clearly committed to the cause.

We knew we needed to balance the books and with the service and credit these players had with the fans, it was understandable.

To have a new player who had done sweet FA in the time he was with us to then come out and say what he said was just bizarre. He is now getting the consequences of this. He has been disrespectful.

To simply accept that because he hasn't managed to get a better gig, that all should be forgotten is clearly not something some fans are prepared to do. Unlike all of the players I have mentioned above - they will get applause undoubtedly.

There is a right and wrong way to do things - that is my point - regardless if the reasons are basically the same.
This user liked this post: forzagranata

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:12 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:06 pm
The players who left have left, never to return. To some Wout is hanging hanging around like a stale fart.
Once everyone agrees that he shouldn't get booed during the game BB then I'm fine with whatever interpretations people want to have

100% not on for him to be booed during the game

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 547 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:12 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:09 pm
I don't disagree that players leaving clubs to benefit their career is not unusual but I can't even begin to try and compare what Mee, Tarks, Pope, McNeil did as even being in the same ballpark as this.

Not one of those players came across as being too good for this club when it went down. They were all clearly committed to the cause.

We knew we needed to balance the books and with the service and credit these players had with the fans, it was understandable.

To have a new player who had done sweet FA in the time he was with us to then come out and say what he said was just bizarre. He is now getting the consequences of this. He has been disrespectful.

To simply accept that because he hasn't managed to get a better gig, that all should be forgotten is clearly not something some fans are prepared to do. Unlike all of the players I have mentioned above - they will get applause undoubtedly.

There is a right and wrong way to do things - that is my point - regardless if the reasons are basically the same.
Do you agree there’s a right and wrong way to support your club?

By booing and jeering one of its staff which could damage morale not just to the individual but to his peers , you are contributing to the downfall of the team or club as a whole, potentially.

Get behind them and get a grip

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:14 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:03 pm
Come off it Forza

He’s a divisive character, Lancaster.

Same at Wolfsburg, same here.

It’s not just the manner in which he left, but the context of his arrival too.

It was never about playing for Burnley, or giving his all for the shirt.

Generally, I don’t think there’s ever been an issue with players moving on to better themselves or their careers. As fans, I think we’re very accepting of that. We know our place in the pyramid.

But with Weghorst it’s the arrogance. He thinks the club is below him, and he is better than his fellow players.

And he’s rocked back up with his tail between his legs because as of yet, he’s got nowhere else to go and he’s contractually obliged to be here.

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:16 pm

The most surprising thing for me is how little intelligence is required to complete a passport application. Thick as mince !!
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:16 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:14 pm
He’s a divisive character, Lancaster.

Same at Wolfsburg, same here.

It’s not just the manner in which he left, but the context of his arrival too.

It was never about playing for Burnley, or giving his all for the shirt.

Generally, I don’t think there’s ever been an issue with players moving on to better themselves or their careers. As fans, I think we’re very accepting of that. We know our place in the pyramid.

But with Weghorst it’s the arrogance. He thinks the club is below him, and he is better than his fellow players.

And he’s rocked back up with his tail between his legs because as of yet, he’s got nowhere else to go and he’s contractually obliged to be here.
But booing him during a game?

Having thought about it, if its going to happen, then get it out of the way in a meaningless pre-season friendly with no one really caring, and then thats it

Gets full support from now on

Everyone happy with that?

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:19 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:16 pm

Having thought about it, if its going to happen, then get it out of the way in a meaningless pre-season friendly with no one really caring, and then thats it

Apart for a few halfwits, of which every club has their fair share, no-one is advocating booing him during the game.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:20 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:19 pm
Apart for a few halfwits, of which every club has their fair share, no-one is advocating booing him during the game.
If I called them half wits Tsar, I'd have my usual support crew on my back! ;)

Carwin261

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:21 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:09 pm

To have a new player who had done sweet FA in the time he was with us to then come out and say what he said was just bizarre. He is now getting the consequences of this. He has been disrespectful. Well said

Carwin261

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:22 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:21 pm
Well said.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:22 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:12 pm
Do you agree there’s a right and wrong way to support your club?

By booing and jeering one of its staff which could damage morale not just to the individual but to his peers , you are contributing to the downfall of the team or club as a whole, potentially.

Get behind them and get a grip
I have never done what you have said. There is no need for me to get a grip - I wont be booing the team come the start of the season.

i do feel like Weghorst has work to do to win fans back around though.

If you are happy to accept the situation - that is your choice, clearly some fans disagree with this. Maybe it's you that needs to get a grip?

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:28 pm

It's not the fans who have 'work to do' if he is going to stay (which I strongly doubt).

Weghorst could sit down and do an interview and explain his actions and his views on his future.

I know a podcast that would be delighted to have him as a guest :)

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:32 pm

We all need to get behind VK and that means WW too.

Life is too short for all this negativity.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

HuncoatClaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by HuncoatClaret » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:39 pm

Has he still got his darts?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:40 pm

ClaretInLeeds wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:11 pm
Who used the word “cretin”?
Perhaps I am mistaken, however, I thought it was me.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:05 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:16 pm

To be fair Lancaster I think you are vastly under appreciating how much he is hated.

Just have a stroll through Twitter and the vast majority of posts are are vile towards him.

I said it when the first post came through about him staying. I don’t think any Burnley player will ever find it harder to win the fans over than him. He is a villian to our young fan base

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:09 pm

It's odds on he bags the winner v City...and our Saviour returns. Wout, Wout.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:09 pm

It fascinates me about the following:

-Weghorst speaks plainly about having to leave on loan to play top flight if he's to play in the World Cup. Does so, comes back, has always demonstrated he's a hard worker including at Burnley when he registered the most presses in a match in the whole league. Is hated.

-Max Cornet doesn't play in preseason or the early games of the season to ensure he's 100% fit so he can definitely leave for West Ham, but because he said vague niceties on Twitter everybody loves him still.

I'd venture to say football fans are more interested in superficial lip service but I'm sure that would never happen.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:22 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:05 pm
To be fair Lancaster I think you are vastly under appreciating how much he is hated.

Just have a stroll through Twitter and the vast majority of posts are are vile towards him.

I said it when the first post came through about him staying. I don’t think any Burnley player will ever find it harder to win the fans over than him. He is a villian to our young fan base
Oh, we are using twitter as a yardstick now?

Tremendous

You don't ever boo your own players if you actually care about the team or what the team are trying to do

So you hate him?

He doesn't give a s**t about that, and if VK decides to keep him, neither will he

I just hope that everyone has got it out of their systems by the time the next game comes along, or at the very least can avoid booing him during the game

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:22 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

The views I’ve read of younger fans on Twitter, including some of those who run the fan pages, has been the exact opposite of what you’ve said.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3965 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:33 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Really can't understand how anyone would HATE him. It's such a strong and emotive word.
You might not rate him as a footballer, you might not particularly like him, but it's clear that many in the football world do rate him.
To me you would have to do something particularly vile or nasty to be reviled in such a way.
Everyone is entitled to their view on him as a footballer, but I'm really not sure what he's done that would make anyone hate him.

When he signed for us it was built into his contract that he could go off to a top division team if we were relegated (in order for him to have the opportunity to play in the World Cup Finals). This seems entirely reasonable to me, and in any case, the club agreed it.
During his time for us it appeared to me that he always gave of his best, and this seems to be supported by statistics.
He missed a few chances, but so did others, notably JayRod and Cornet.
He supposedly had a minor altercation with Roberts, (instigated by Roberts).This is the same Roberts who openly admitted that the opportunity to play in the World Cup impacted negatively on his club form, but who gets a free pass. (Not that I have an issue with Roberts).
He scored twice in the World Cup and played in two Wembley Cup Finals with Man Utd, and now - as a contracted player he's back here.
We either give him a chance or get the best possible fee for him.
Booing him is counterproductive. Hating him seems a massive over-reaction and way over the top to me.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:38 pm

Anyway how did he play ? Havn’t read the middle pages of this thread.

Belial
Been Liked: 382 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:39 pm

Burnley fans love a good boo. When you're at the game you don't notice as much but when you watch it back and hear it on the telly, it's very odd (as booing our own players is tbh).

beeholeclaret
Been Liked: 299 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by beeholeclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:41 pm

Im not a WW fan but am more than willing to accept whatever decision VK makes as being best for the club.

I don’t remember him saying he had not been trying his best whilst at BFC (I thought that was Chris Wood).

He does seem to come across as an arrogant so-and-so but I put that down to Dutch bluntness. Sounds like part of his decision to sign for Burnley included a relegation clause which is something we may have to accept once again with new players coming in. When we lost CW I don’t think there was a big queue of players lining up to join Dyche’s relegation battlers.

The relegation clause and how it was explained (or not explained) to the fans had caused a lot of animosity.

As we are stuck with him and vice versa I hope we can come to accept him as being part of our squad once again. We must support him and in turn support the manager and his team. We don’t know what has gone on behind the seasons but the last thing we can afford to do is p*ss off VK and his management team.

Hopefully the players won’t have noticed todays events and that we can all crack on with our pre season plans.

Watch his goals against Brighton and West Ham plus the assist for Vydra against Wolves and Jay versus Man United. He’s not the best but maybe able to help the team effort.
Last edited by beeholeclaret on Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:42 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Jesus wept. Hate? Really? Sounds exhausting. I don't feel that strongly towards even David Dunn.
These 4 users liked this post: nil_desperandum Cooclaret Vegas Claret simonclaret

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:54 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:41 pm
To be more accurate: he stated his concern about getting injured and (credit to him) admitted it was affecting his game.
Biting the hand that feeds him.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:29 am

Bit of a depressing thread but just had a very quick skim before bed and 3 thoughts came to mind.

1. It can be simultaneously true that Burnley have some muppet fans, Wout can seem like he has a chip on his shoulder, and he tried his best for us last time around.
2. He is no different to all the others jumping ship on relegation, heck Leeds seem to have their entire team departing on loan deals built into contracts on event of relegation
3. The phrase “never go back” is well known for a reason

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:39 am

Pickles wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:42 pm
Jesus wept. Hate? Really? Sounds exhausting. I don't feel that strongly towards even David Dunn.
Not like Newcastle to massively exaggerate something with emotive language. Oh no, wait...
This user liked this post: ClaretInLeeds

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:41 am

Carwin261 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:00 pm
Stick my two penneth in again ,When Ashley Barnes left would he ever have signed for Rovers?
If Weghorst were offered £50,000 a week to play for them ,would he sign?
I’d sign for 50k a week.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:47 am

Carwin261 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:00 pm
When Ashley Barnes left would he ever have signed for Rovers?
Yes.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:56 am

If he’s getting booed by a proportion of fans at a meaningless pre season warm up game, it’ll be worse come the start of the season, perhaps more so on the back of threads like this.

I’m no fan of Weghorst and would rather that he was moved on (if at all possible) but if this doesn’t happen and he is part of the squad, like him or not, we should be supporting him (or at the very least not booing him).

It’s no coincidence that our two most successful recent periods (Dyche and Kompany) have seen far fewer divisions in the fan base and between supporters and the team - that “together spirit” is a key ingredient for success.

Booing our own, whether we like them or not, will do nothing to benefit the team - it’ll do exactly the opposite - a pointless waste of effort. Far better to focus energies on supporting the players that are deemed to be worthy of positive support.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11060 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:24 am

Weghorst doesn't sign without the guarantee he can move to get his place in the World cup if we drop
Cornet doesn't sign without his release clause

Some folk deserve the ridicule they get from opposition fans.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:36 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:24 am
Weghorst doesn't sign without the guarantee he can move to get his place in the World cup if we drop
Cornet doesn't sign without his release clause

Some folk deserve the ridicule they get from opposition fans.
That sounds about right & if there’s a lesson to be learnt from that it’s put yourself in a position where you can dictate the terms & not the other way around.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:24 am

I just hope this can be sorted out by being addressed by Vincent or Mr Pace .

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:59 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:22 pm
Oh, we are using twitter as a yardstick now?

Tremendous

You don't ever boo your own players if you actually care about the team or what the team are trying to do

So you hate him?

He doesn't give a s**t about that, and if VK decides to keep him, neither will he

I just hope that everyone has got it out of their systems by the time the next game comes along, or at the very least can avoid booing him during the game
Twitter is usually a fair barometer of your average fan (you may disagree but I think it’s accurate).

Go and look at the Burnley tweet where it shows him coming back for pre season. Some of the comments under there are absolutely vile. I am not surprised one bit he was booed yesterday. I suspect he May continue to be booed for some time as well.

That kind of sentiment doesn’t change over night

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:01 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:39 am
Not like Newcastle to massively exaggerate something with emotive language. Oh no, wait...
Swizzlestick hate is the only word I can use to describe some of the comments I have seen on him.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:13 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:01 am
Swizzlestick hate is the only word I can use to describe some of the comments I have seen on him.
It’s safe to say he’s not flavour of the month by any stretch.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:27 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:06 pm
To some, yes, but not to most.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:49 am

Just imagine a life where loads of sad old grumpy people spend their Saturday nights arguing about a meaninless friendly with people they have or will never meet. As Albert Einstein onece said When you look at yourself from a universal standpoint, something inside always reminds or informs you that there are bigger and better things to worry about.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:50 am

Just imagine a life where loads of sad old grumpy people spend their Saturday nights arguing about a meaninless friendly with people they dont know and will never meet. As Albert Einstein once said When you look at yourself from a universal standpoint, something inside always reminds or informs you that there are bigger and better things to worry about.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:54 am

pushpinpussy wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:50 am
Just imagine a life where loads of sad old grumpy people spend their Saturday nights arguing about a meaninless friendly with people they dont know and will never meet. As Albert Einstein once said When you look at yourself from a universal standpoint, something inside always reminds or informs you that there are bigger and better things to worry about.
I'm only giving you a 'like' for the one. I'm only giving you a 'like' for the one.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:49 am

I don’t understand why some so called supporters pay good money to go and watch what is,In effect, a glorified training exercise and then boo one of the players. Think it’s bizarre.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:29 am

Being Dutch hasn’t helped him. He has been too blunt and shown little concern about how his actions affect others. Contrast that with Cornet who I think was in an almost identical situation. Neither wanted to play Championship football. But a couple of well timed quotes and Cornet got our blessing. If Wout had publicly said positive things about Burnley then more of us would have understood.
This user liked this post: beeholeclaret

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:39 am

I’d rather have WW at Turf Moor than the Twitter users who slag players off.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3965 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:40 am

pushpinpussy wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:50 am
I don't think that that's what people are arguing about. The match itself was only relevant to VK as a training exercise, and most people understand this. Most people see the bigger picture.
The issue being "debated" is a far more serious one.
If I'd paid good money to travel to Belgium to watch a relatively inconsequential friendly I'd have been doing it out of loyalty to, and "love" for the club.The behaviour of a (presumably) small minority will have upset many I'm sure, and it will be the only thing that the game is remembered for.
This is a very important issue. Togetherness of the players and fans has been our12th man since Dyche took over, and fans divided and turning on players puts us on a slippery slope.
You only have to look a few miles down the M65 to see the impact that a toxic fanbase can have on a club and its players.

VK and his team got 101 points last season, and we appear to be investing to build on this. We've just about sold out every home game and there's a lot of positivity around the club
Contrast this with the recent fortunes of our other local clubs in recent seasons: Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stanley and that other lot. We should be counting our lucky stars that we had Dyche and now Vincent, and we should be backing the club 100%.
(It's really not worth pointing out that there are bigger and better things to worry about.This is of course true, but there's very little that we can do as individuals to (e.g.) influence and end the Ukraine War, but we can (hopefully) persuade people that verbally abusing and booing our own players is unacceptable and counter-productive and must not continue.