England v Denmark WWC

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Re: England v Denmark WWC

Post by aggi » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:56 pm

I don't go on the cricket threads because I have no interest in the sport but are they full of people complaining about how the Ashes is being rammed down their throats?

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:02 pm

Casper2 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:22 pm
You have clearly misunderstood my point , well done.

Here’s a clue Bake off isn’t on every channel
You know those bakers are rubbish compared to professionals. Not sure why it gets the time of day to be honest.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:06 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:02 pm
You know those bakers are rubbish compared to professionals. Not sure why it gets the time of day to be honest.
Not only that how very dare they have women and men competing against each other 🤣🤣🤣

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:19 pm

Back to the match. They were well below Euro standard. Definitely missing Scott, White(I know they’ve retired), Williamson, Kirby and, in particular, Beth Mead.
Some of the passing was atrocious not helped by the receiving player being so static.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:24 pm

I think it used to be that the better teams could bully the other teams with higher levels of fitness and physicality but that seems to be less of a thing now with a smaller gap between the teams in that area.

ClaretsPadiham
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by ClaretsPadiham » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:36 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:44 pm
Rubbish….
How ?

Burnley Belvedere Under 16s would seriously give them a tough game, they’d probably even win.

ClaretsPadiham

Post by ClaretsPadiham » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:38 pm

Salford City Academy with 14/15 year olds beat Man Utd women 9-0. Man Utd are an ‘elite’ level women’s team.

There’s no debate to how poor the standard of women’s football is.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:40 pm

Hey guys, a couple of weeks ago I went to watch "Dear England" at the National Theatre (yes, I live in London and I'm old enough to have a freedom pass - only expense was the tickets). It's a great play written by James Graham about Gareth Southgate becoming England manager. All the play was about the England men's team in World Cup and Euros. One scene in the play Sarina Wegman came on stage and offered Gareth Southgate if he'd like to hold the trophy the Lionesses had won. It got a great cheer of approval from the audience. I don't want to be controversial, but there are reasons to believe that the England Women's team, the Lionesses, are more popular than the men's team. There's no doubt that for all the time both the women's and the men's teams have existed side by side the women's team have been the more successful.

ClaretsPadiham

Post by ClaretsPadiham » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0969.jpeg
IMG_0969.jpeg (206.45 KiB) Viewed 1381 times

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:49 pm

ClaretsPadiham wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:38 pm
Salford City Academy with 14/15 year olds beat Man Utd women 9-0. Man Utd are an ‘elite’ level women’s team.

There’s no debate to how poor the standard of women’s football is.
This match took place two months after the Man United women's team was formed and they weren't in the top tier so calling them an elite team in this context either suggests you don't know what you're on about or you're lying.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:54 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:49 pm
This match took place two months after the Man United women's team was formed and they weren't in the top tier so calling them an elite team in this context either suggests you don't know what you're on about or you're lying.
But to be honest, who cares anyway! Men don’t play women’s football.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:58 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:54 pm
The only people who actually care are deeply tragic, it's just vaguely interesting (at least to me) that they aren't ever willing to be honest.

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 358 times
Has Liked: 330 times

Post by HahaYeah » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:59 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:54 pm
It's only a matter of time. :mrgreen:

Could be fielding an all mens womens team for the Clown World cup 2050.

Casper2
Been Liked: 223 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Casper2 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:50 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:30 pm
Whether you think it is amazing or the worst thing ever shown on TV to not expect a World Cup to get national coverage of it seems strange.

I personally haven't watched a single minute of it and apart from the odd bit on the news haven't paid much attention to it. There are 100s of other channels to go at.
So why bother commenting? , oh yeah I forgot about you being a troll , apologies.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4108 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:59 pm

Actually getting on board with the women’s international games. I enjoy how it hasnt been corrupted by blatant diving and cheating…. Yet…

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:59 am

Why do people insist on comparing it to men's footy? It's basically two different sports.
It's completely unrealistic to expect women to be able to compete against a good standard men's team.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:26 am

Casper2 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:50 pm
So why bother commenting? , oh yeah I forgot about you being a troll , apologies.
Hope you manage to somehow survive having a tv channel you have no need to watch being rammed down your throat.

There are some really odd weak people around, you could just ask someone to turn your tv over for you if it’s a struggle.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:24 pm

Keira Walsh will miss the game vs China but has NOT suffered an ACL injury. Good news.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Bosscat

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:59 pm

It's never about the sport for those people who purport to be brave, free-thinking, objective critics of the women's game. It's never about the quality of the game, it's never about the physicality, it's never about technique, nor is it about tactical ability; against their feeble protests it's not even about the coverage (of the five broadcasters named on this thread, two are broadcasting the tournament live, the other three mentioned are dedicated sports broadcasters covering an international tournament). For the ninnies who turn up to loudly tell anyone in earshot how bad they think the women's game is, they are only ever taking an opportunity to assert their belief that women are inferior creatures to men. This is at the root of it all. Everything is code for "women are inferior to men". It's not sexist to highlight the differences between the biological sex of men and women and its effects manifest in sport, but that's not what's happening when these ninnies get involved in this shite debate. This totally affected pose as some objective critic making a few observations here or there about the women's game has a function that is used as a means of putting women down while maintaining a degree of plausible deniability when defending oneself against the accusation of being a bitter, petty, insecure, unlikable sexist c.unt. Everyone can see it, everyone knows it, even the ninnies involved in the charade. Rather than debate them on the ground of the stupid points they make, it's much better to acknowledge the clearly noticeable agenda of them wanting to put women down at the slightest opportunity, an agenda they try to clothe in more credible garb, that of a civil conversation about sport.
These 2 users liked this post: Yanquiclaret Bosscat

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:42 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:59 pm
It's never about the sport for those people who purport to be brave, free-thinking, objective critics of the women's game. It's never about the quality of the game, it's never about the physicality, it's never about technique, nor is it about tactical ability; against their feeble protests it's not even about the coverage (of the five broadcasters named on this thread, two are broadcasting the tournament live, the other three mentioned are dedicated sports broadcasters covering an international tournament). For the ninnies who turn up to loudly tell anyone in earshot how bad they think the women's game is, they are only ever taking an opportunity to assert their belief that women are inferior creatures to men. This is at the root of it all. Everything is code for "women are inferior to men". It's not sexist to highlight the differences between the biological sex of men and women and its effects manifest in sport, but that's not what's happening when these ninnies get involved in this shite debate. This totally affected pose as some objective critic making a few observations here or there about the women's game has a function that is used as a means of putting women down while maintaining a degree of plausible deniability when defending oneself against the accusation of being a bitter, petty, insecure, unlikable sexist [deleted]. Everyone can see it, everyone knows it, even the ninnies involved in the charade. Rather than debate them on the ground of the stupid points they make, it's much better to acknowledge the clearly noticeable agenda of them wanting to put women down at the slightest opportunity, an agenda they try to clothe in more credible garb, that of a civil conversation about sport.
I don't agree that the gratuitous swearing and deliberate misspelling to prove yourself above the rules, is a valid literary approach.

(I don't agree with the rest of it either.)

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:46 pm

Okay dsr, you had an emotional reaction to my choice of words which offended your delicate sensibilities to the extent you passive-aggressively [deleted] the offending word, got it. Good for you.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:49 pm

Spiral wrote:
It's never about the sport for those people who purport to be brave, free-thinking, objective critics of the women's game. It's never about the quality of the game, it's never about the physicality, it's never about technique, nor is it about tactical ability; against their feeble protests it's not even about the coverage (of the five broadcasters named on this thread, two are broadcasting the tournament live, the other three mentioned are dedicated sports broadcasters covering an international tournament). For the ninnies who turn up to loudly tell anyone in earshot how bad they think the women's game is, they are only ever taking an opportunity to assert their belief that women are inferior creatures to men. This is at the root of it all. Everything is code for "women are inferior to men". It's not sexist to highlight the differences between the biological sex of men and women and its effects manifest in sport, but that's not what's happening when these ninnies get involved in this shite debate. This totally affected pose as some objective critic making a few observations here or there about the women's game has a function that is used as a means of putting women down while maintaining a degree of plausible deniability when defending oneself against the accusation of being a bitter, petty, insecure, unlikable sexist c.unt. Everyone can see it, everyone knows it, even the ninnies involved in the charade. Rather than debate them on the ground of the stupid points they make, it's much better to acknowledge the clearly noticeable agenda of them wanting to put women down at the slightest opportunity, an agenda they try to clothe in more credible garb, that of a civil conversation about sport.

What if I think it's just sh!te to watch.... and even worse to listen to?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:52 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:49 pm
I'm sure someone somehow somewhere will still find a reason to be offended.
This user liked this post: bobinho

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:02 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:52 pm
I'm sure someone somehow somewhere will still find a reason to be offended.
Probably

aggi

Post by aggi » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:23 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:49 pm
Fine.

Seeking out discussions about it to tell everyone that is a bit weird though.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:33 pm

aggi wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:23 pm
Fine.

Seeking out discussions about it to tell everyone that is a bit weird though.
Not particularly.
Should we just look to contribute to things that we like or agree with?

aggi

Post by aggi » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:55 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:33 pm
Not particularly.
Should we just look to contribute to things that we like or agree with?
Does the cricket thread have loads of posts saying it's just sh!te to watch.... and even worse to listen to? Or do the youth team threads have people pointing out that Man City would beat the youth team 30-0?

People only seem to be compelled to share that opinion when the topic is women's sport. I'm probably being generous in calling it weird, I think spiral's post was probably more accurate.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:12 pm

aggi wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:55 pm
Does the cricket thread have loads of posts saying it's just sh!te to watch.... and even worse to listen to? Or do the youth team threads have people pointing out that Man City would beat the youth team 30-0?

People only seem to be compelled to share that opinion when the topic is women's sport. I'm probably being generous in calling it weird, I think spiral's post was probably more accurate.
It strikes me that you have missed the hypothetical nature of my response to Spiral's post.
No problem, probably we should leave it there.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm

Lo & behold the first signs of discontent appeared at the drop of hat at what should have been a perfectly harmless post.

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:04 am

Spiral wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:46 pm
Okay dsr, you had an emotional reaction to my choice of words which offended your delicate sensibilities to the extent you passive-aggressively [deleted] the offending word, got it. Good for you.
"Passive-aggressive" is a meaningless word used by people who are determined to be offended by something but can't put their finger on anything specific.

I always delete swearing in posts because if in future anyone does a search and that post comes up, the quote would show up as my words not yours. I don't want to come across as the type who can't help himself from swearing.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:26 am

Being completely serious some sort of therapy needs to be sought to get to the bottom of why people can't be happy without problems. Very frequently innocent things seem to happen on this messageboard & big dramas seem to blow up out of all proportion. Roughly about 6 posters seem to centre around this sort of odd behaviour.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3810 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:20 am

Spiral wrote:
Why do you write an essay for every post? is that the new trend in wokie land?

I can tell you have He/Him in your Twitter bio with BLM and your rainbow flag. Offended at everything on behalf of everyone else, desperate to throw around your words like sexist, racist, transphobic, homophobic etc

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:29 am

It was funnier before you edited your post where you called the word 'sexist' a 'big' word. An actual adult human openly and wilfully expressing frustration at being made to endure a 'big' word — all six letters of it.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3810 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:38 am

Spiral wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:29 am
It was funnier before you edited your post where you called the word 'sexist' a 'big' word. An actual adult human openly and wilfully expressing frustration at being made to endure a 'big' word — all six letters of it.
I mean you were the one who said people who express they don’t like women’s football are actually expressing their hate for the female gender as a whole. How idiotic does that sound?

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:49 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:38 am
I mean you were the one who said people who express they don’t like women’s football are actually expressing their hate for the female gender as a whole. How idiotic does that sound?
Spiral is offended by absolutely everything don’t worry.

I watch a lot of football and I didn’t even realise the WWC was on!!

The women’s game is improving but unfortunately unless women on mass start attending and watching it was always be funded by the men’s sport. There is just not enough interest in the women’s game.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:00 am

If there's any possibility that I'm right in what I say, the evidence might be that since making that post at 5pm Saturday evening (prime time on this forum), not one single ninny on here has since attempted to argue on this thread that the woman's game is so dreadfully inferior to the men's game. Why? Why is that? Why the sudden silence? Because those people now feel seen? Because they feel embarrassed to be seen? Because they feel embarrassed by their behaviour and now wish to retreat? dsr says he doesn't agree with me, but that's not an argument, that's a statement of where he's at emotionally. KRBFC's post is an even bigger emotional spasm. Where has this pathetic discourse on the relative quality of the women's game disappeared to? Of course, on one hand by saying all this I'm provoking the continuation of the posting of those tedious and well rehearsed talking points, talking points which I'm sure people believe are their own original innovations, but on the other hand it's impossible to trust at this point that anyone who continues this tedious attack on the women's game isn't in fact motivated by a need to put on a theatrical defensive performance in response to what I'm saying here. So, the more people post these attacks, the more they are seen for who they are.

edit — and so Saudi apologist Newcastleclaret picks up the baton

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:07 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:38 am
Andrew Tate arselicker and apologists doesn't understand the subtleties of sexism. Quelle surprise.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:11 am

My business here is not to change any sexist fool's mind, my business here is to provoke the decent people who make up the majority on here into more clearly seeing the aforementioned behaviour and this godawful debate for what it actually is.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:07 am

Spiral I honestly don’t know how you get through the day without being offended by everything

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:01 am

I just watched Switzerland vs New Zealand.

Absolute trash. If anyone says they enjoyed that they are a liar.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:13 am

It couldn't be clearer Spiral is right. Two cricket threads on the first page, no posts from people who don't like cricket. A boxing thread on the first page, no posts from people who don't like boxing. A pub thread on the first page, no posts from people who don't like pubs. So on and so forth and yet a thread about women's football attracts every pathetic worm on this board falling over themselves to be an arse about it.

HahaYeah

Post by HahaYeah » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:32 am

Spiral wrote:
they are only ever taking an opportunity to assert their belief that women are inferior creatures to men. This is at the root of it all. Everything is code for "women are inferior to men".
I don't think anyone is saying that at all. "Everything is code" :roll:

Germany v Colombia about to kick off .

Looking forward to Japan v Spain tomorrow, (Love the Japs.) :geek:

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:07 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:13 am
It couldn't be clearer Spiral is right. Two cricket threads on the first page, no posts from people who don't like cricket. A boxing thread on the first page, no posts from people who don't like boxing. A pub thread on the first page, no posts from people who don't like pubs. So on and so forth and yet a thread about women's football attracts every pathetic worm on this board falling over themselves to be an arse about it.
Have you never thought everybody might not mind cricket or boxing or pubs, does an expectation exist that if people don't like something that they need to specifically call out such because an odd dislike appears on a subject you could like yourself, It's an exaggeration to say "every" mountains & molehills spring to mind from the usual suspects.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:25 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:13 am
A thread on the Belgian GP and a post from somebody to say that they are not a fan of Formula 1. ;)

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:30 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:25 am
A thread on the Belgian GP and a post from somebody to say that they are not a fan of Formula 1. ;)
Fair, I didn't see that because I don't like Formula 1...

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:37 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:30 am
Fair, I didn't see that because I don't like Formula 1...
Could the same apply to all subjects you don't have any interest in not to see perhaps.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4075 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:45 am

Germany 0 Colombia 1
Brilliantly taken goal.

ElectroClaret

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:20 pm

Peno Germany

Scored 1-1

HahaYeah

Post by HahaYeah » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:22 pm

Drama at the end, plucky Colombia give away a pen 1-1.

ElectroClaret

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:29 pm

Colombia look like they've won it in added time.
Great header.
1-2