Paddy Power advert

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Re: Paddy Power advert

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:25 pm

Really funny, well done Paddy Power for taking an interest in us, researching our style, and complimenting Burnley fans for not being the type of soulless, neanderthal dullard that used to be the stereotype.

Because that’s what it is, a compliment. It is satire and irony. They know full well, as does the rest of the country, that no fans feel that way, certainly not now.

Also amusing how it has triggered a few pseudo-intellectuals who will claim they get irony but I’m not sure they do, I get the feeling deep down some of us are embarrassed at where we have come from, that’s where this vulnerability to get triggered comes from. Let’s all lighten up and appreciate our past as a town and a people while laughing at the jokes about it.

The real insult is when nobody talks about us at all, Paddy Power aren't doing that.
These 3 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Darnhill Claret Dark Cloud

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:27 pm

Some Burnley fans are so desperate for recognition, any kind of mention, they'll even get excited about utterly unfunny, crude stereotypes

yTib
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Post by yTib » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:33 pm

what exactly is a pseudo-intellectual and how do i become one?

martin_p
Been Liked: 3768 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:02 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:27 pm
Some Burnley fans are so desperate for recognition, any kind of mention, they'll even get excited about utterly unfunny, crude stereotypes
I’m struggling with the stereotype thing, what stereotype is it portraying exactly?
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:12 pm

I asked Chat GTP to write a parody of a Burnley fan who has to a sophisticated style of football:

As I stood there on the sidelines, watching the elegant ballet of football unfold before my eyes, I couldn't help but feel like a fish out of water. The players moved the ball with such grace and finesse, their every touch an exquisite brushstroke on the canvas of the pitch. It was like watching a symphony, with each pass and movement orchestrated with the precision of a maestro conducting a masterpiece.

But here I was, a Burnley fan through and through, accustomed to the rugged, no-nonsense style of play that had been our trademark. Our beloved "hoof-it-up-the-pitch" strategy might not have been the most artistic, but it got the job done. We didn't need all these fancy flicks and tiki-taka nonsense.

As the opposing team effortlessly weaved through our defense, I couldn't help but long for the days of gritty tackles and headers that reached the clouds. Our goalkeeper used to launch the ball like a missile, and we'd pray it found its way to one of our burly forwards. None of this delicate passing out from the back business – that was for the other teams.

The fans around me seemed to be in awe of the fluid movement and intricate passing. They oohed and aahed at every pirouette and backheel, while I muttered under my breath about the good ol' days when a well-executed slide tackle was cause for celebration.

And what was with all the "possession football" nonsense? Back in Burnley, we knew the value of giving the ball away – it was a strategic move to gain territory. These folks acted like losing the ball was some sort of crime against the sport.

As the match went on, I found myself yearning for a thunderous header into the back of the net, a goal celebrated with pure, unadulterated passion. Instead, I was surrounded by fans who seemed to care more about the aesthetics of the game than the final score.

Sure, I might be a fish out of water in this world of sophisticated football, but I wear my claret and blue with pride. Give me a gritty, hard-fought battle on a rain-soaked pitch any day. As for all this fancy footwork and elegant passing? Well, that might be art to some, but for me, football will always be a beautiful chaos – and Burnley's brand of chaos will forever have my heart.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:35 pm

I assumed that this was a Spiral tome before checking the user name and first paragraph, my bad.
These 2 users liked this post: forzagranata Middle-agedClaret

Elbarad
Been Liked: 149 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Elbarad » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:37 pm

I had a good laugh at it. Though I thought the writers must have read our board for some of their lines. Especially the part about the keeper playing it out the back. We'll see how it all works in the PL.

Some of us might be wishing for some more Dyche-like stratagems if we're getting beat 5-3 every weekend. Hope not, VK's style is fun to watch.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2523 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:29 pm

Volvoclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:35 pm
I assumed that this was a Spiral tome before checking the user name and first paragraph, my bad.
I'd have dropped a fk or a shite or two in there. And also I hated Dycheball. It's quite funny actually because some of us like the nerdy tactics chat and go knees deep with the jargon simply because the jargon is a sort of convention, so when you say 'pivot' or 'overload' or whatever to someone else who also used the jargon, it communicates an idea really clearly and precisely, but every now and again some bellend on here chimes in with some sly, snarky comment about swallowing a coaching manual or overcomplicating footy, so I dunno, maybe the bald lad in the advert is representative of some of our fans. It got a small chuckle out of me and nothing more, but I think the problem some folks might be having with it is that the character is designed to totemise this attitude and apply it broadly, to all, which simultaneously feeds upon and sustains a reputation with respect of - for lack of a better term - Burnley's football culture, a reputation that everyone at the club is trying to escape. Obviously, this is not club output, it's PaddyPower, so they can do what the hell they want and it's totally out of our control, but people are commenting on it as part of what I think can be best described as a cultural discourse on Burnley FC, and part of this discourse involves our drastic rebrand. As a general principle, rarely is it good practice for an entity concerning itself with rebranding to make reference to its former brand. It can be done carefully, but if done badly the cynicism and pretence of a rebrand is revealed to an audience. Bear in mind that nobody is demanding PaddyPower get in line, just consider why some people think it's shite.

Is that long and overblown enough for you? Don't pretend that in all the loathing people have for me and what I post on here there aren't one or two nuggets of truth, accurate observations or novel ways of looking at things that aren't being posted by anyone else. People can't stand what I say and how I say it, and the fact you mention me by name on a thread I hitherto have not commented on is probably all the evidence I need to make that claim, but you know as well as everyone else who claps back that you hate my tone more than you do the content of what I say. This tells me something about people's sensitivities.
These 3 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Darnhill Claret Bobzuruncle

blatherwickstattoos
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by blatherwickstattoos » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:33 pm

Cringed watching this. Are there no working actors from Burnley ?? Seriously this is poor

yTib
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Post by yTib » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:33 pm

two pieces of advice for spiral:

1. paragraphs. makes it easier for those of us whose eyesight isn't what it was to read your inspirational posts.
2. get that fuucking chip off your shoulder and grow the fuuck up as well.
This user liked this post: arise_sir_charge

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:38 pm

Oi oi oi, you got a loicence for that word? I don't think we're allowed to say the word 'cringe' around here. Despite me and I presume many others using it our entire lives, some sheltered and sensitive souls seem to believe it's a neologism, and neologisms make sensitive people feel as though the world is moving too fast for them.

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:39 pm

Dycheball deserves reconsidering from a post-modernist perspective I reckon.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10099 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:41 pm

Inspirational posts but has a chip on his/her shoulder?
Mmmm! 🤔

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:43 pm

yTib wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:33 pm

1. paragraphs. makes it easier for those of us whose eyesight isn't what it was to read your inspirational posts.
1. I'm trying to make this as difficult as possible. I considered doing that big post without the paragraph break. If I could edit it I'd go back and remove the paragraph break as an act of aggression :lol:
2. You might be overexaggerating how seriously I actually take this forum. I think people take my posts far too seriously.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:47 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:39 pm
Dycheball deserves reconsidering from a post-modernist perspective I reckon.
I think a post-modern reading of Dycheball would benefit from first analysing it through the lens of Marxian dialectical materialism.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:00 am

Spiral wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:29 pm
I'd have dropped a fk or a shite or two in there. And also I hated Dycheball. It's quite funny actually because some of us like the nerdy tactics chat and go knees deep with the jargon simply because the jargon is a sort of convention, so when you say 'pivot' or 'overload' or whatever to someone else who also used the jargon, it communicates an idea really clearly and precisely, but every now and again some bellend on here chimes in with some sly, snarky comment about swallowing a coaching manual or overcomplicating footy, so I dunno, maybe the bald lad in the advert is representative of some of our fans. It got a small chuckle out of me and nothing more, but I think the problem some folks might be having with it is that the character is designed to totemise this attitude and apply it broadly, to all, which simultaneously feeds upon and sustains a reputation with respect of - for lack of a better term - Burnley's football culture, a reputation that everyone at the club is trying to escape. Obviously, this is not club output, it's PaddyPower, so they can do what the hell they want and it's totally out of our control, but people are commenting on it as part of what I think can be best described as a cultural discourse on Burnley FC, and part of this discourse involves our drastic rebrand. As a general principle, rarely is it good practice for an entity concerning itself with rebranding to make reference to its former brand. It can be done carefully, but if done badly the cynicism and pretence of a rebrand is revealed to an audience. Bear in mind that nobody is demanding PaddyPower get in line, just consider why some people think it's shite.

Is that long and overblown enough for you? Don't pretend that in all the loathing people have for me and what I post on here there aren't one or two nuggets of truth, accurate observations or novel ways of looking at things that aren't being posted by anyone else. People can't stand what I say and how I say it, and the fact you mention me by name on a thread I hitherto have not commented on is probably all the evidence I need to make that claim, but you know as well as everyone else who claps back that you hate my tone more than you do the content of what I say. This tells me something about people's sensitivities.
Back to Chatbot again botboy

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:23 am

martin_p wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:02 pm
Some people need to lighten up, it supposed to be a joke. I thought it was funny!
Absolutely spot on,I don't know if some of the responses are serious,but was was a JOKE.Some of our fans are exactly like that,I see them on match days

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:53 am

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:21 pm
Some people might remember the Fast Show sketch 'Julio Geordio' - which made fun of the idea of a South American/Spanish player playing for Newcastle and mixing in Geordie football cliches with broken Spanglish.

That was also based on some stereotypes, as much humour is, but it was original and funny because it cleverly played with those stereotypes, switched them about it, the humour was subtle and worked.

This Paddy Power thing is just pointing a finger and laughing at us and there is no subtlety or cleverness to it at all.

There is a broader more political point that could be made, but I'll skip that.
Fast show and Goodness Gracious Me (which is being re shown on BBC one currently) we’re brilliant at this kind of humour.

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:55 am

yTib wrote:

Christ on a bike! I think you’ve read him wrong…

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:35 am

That was hilarious! But lets spare a moment for some utc users who are currently in their safe space clutching a copy of the guardian.
These 2 users liked this post: bf2k Juan Tanamera

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:06 am

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:27 pm
You do realise this could have worked for any number of clubs with the “old die hard fan moaning about the new fangled football but still goes on every game and is a mass of contradiction” It’s BFC because at this moment we fit that template perfectly . It’s a piece mildly amusing but instantly forgettable fluff .
This user liked this post: criminalclaret

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:23 am

martin_p wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:46 pm
Did you recently record an advert for Paddy Power?
I don't have as manc an accent as that!

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:18 am

Venkys4eva wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:35 am
That was hilarious! But lets spare a moment for some utc users who are currently in their safe space clutching a copy of the guardian.
:lol:

I can't make my mind up whether it's a lack of a sense of humour or just a sheer lack of perspective or just that some folk love to moan.

The ad, when seen for what it is, is funny. The fact a company like Paddy Power are running ads like this just shows how far our club has come in image & branding.
This user liked this post: Venkys4eva

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2037 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:39 am

Ironically, this skit is of the same sort of clarets who for at least 6 months of last season were calling out Muric for being too risky. The same fake arguments were used on here, but now, its offensive. Take a time out ffs.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Bobzuruncle
Been Liked: 45 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by Bobzuruncle » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:11 pm

cat 1 : took time to accept VK style / offended
cat 2 : took time to accept VK style / not offended
cat 3 : accepted VK style immediately / offended
cat 4 : accepted VK style immediately / not offended

As post above, I agree the skit is of cats 1&2 but not sure that the offended are only cat 1.

I think that spiral nailed it when he pointed out that the offended are from cat 3 but don’t want to be lumped in with the rest or have Burnley shown in that light. (apologies if I misunderstood)

I would say that cat 4 are definitely the most balanced but I have to say I’m somewhere between 3&4 but not that serious to really give a toss.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:39 pm

I was cat 4, but I lost my status because I failed the audit.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:58 pm

Volvoclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:00 am
Back to Chatbot again botboy
Such patronising diminutions - botboy in this case - are often used by insulted persons to try and make another person feel small (often in vain) in the insulted one's hope that both parties become aware of the power of the insulted one hurling the diminution, but you have to understand that when the behaviour and sensitivity of the insulted one is seen with clarity by the person the insulted one is attempting to diminish in mental stature, the diminution loses all power to cause harm, and the insulted one looks more pathetic and feeble than if they were to have remained silent. Do you feel insulted? Was I right in alluding to people's sensitivities? Your honour, let me state for the record that I have not gone out of my way to insult anyone on here directly.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:36 pm

Incidentally Paddy Power have again done and equally tongue in cheek advert about Hartlepool United.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:45 pm

bf2k wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:36 pm
Incidentally Paddy Power have again done and equally tongue in cheek advert about Hartlepool United.
Anyone falling over themselves to celebrate Little Old Burnley™ being recognised by PP, imagining flattery like someone desperately crying 'pick me, pick me', needs to learn about the cynicism of PP's marketing. It's basic-bitch, sometimes funny, more often not so, inoffensive stock football banter repurposed and pressed into work to get addicts to give them their money. They aren't going out of their way to flatter or promote anyone (beyond themselves), because why would they do the same for Heartlepool? That's a bad reading of the situation. (Not accusing you of that, bf2k.)

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:10 pm

Spiral wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:47 pm
I think a post-modern reading of Dycheball would benefit from first analysing it through the lens of Marxian dialectical materialism.
I look forward to that.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:16 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:10 pm
I look forward to that.
Nobody would look forward to that, not even Marx himself.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:21 pm

Spiral wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:45 pm
Anyone falling over themselves to celebrate Little Old Burnley™ being recognised by PP, imagining flattery like someone desperately crying 'pick me, pick me', needs to learn about the cynicism of PP's marketing. It's basic-bitch, sometimes funny, more often not so, inoffensive stock football banter repurposed and pressed into work to get addicts to give them their money. They aren't going out of their way to flatter or promote anyone (beyond themselves), because why would they do the same for Heartlepool? That's a bad reading of the situation. (Not accusing you of that, bf2k.)
…….and if you’re not careful you’ll end up becoming a Mormon.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:25 pm

That seems like a non sequitur if truth be told, but whadda I know.

Middle-agedClaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 1121 times

Post by Middle-agedClaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:32 pm

Well - I thought the advert was funny.
Nothing in it insulted me, offended me, or caused any type of chip to grow on my shoulder.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:43 pm

blatherwickstattoos wrote:
Cringed watching this. Are there no working actors from Burnley ?? Seriously this is poor
It was crying out for Sir Ian McKellen 🙂

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:00 am

Putting my obvious Burnley bias to one side, it’s just a crap advert

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11062 times
Has Liked: 5667 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:24 pm

Luppy
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Luppy » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:30 pm

Bit of harmless fun. In fairness to PP, they take the mickey out of just about everyone - they aren't just singling us out all the time.