Amdouni

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2261 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Re: Amdouni

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:43 pm

There was a real connection built between team and fans last season though, special moments shared.

When the majority of them aren’t then playing in your opening three fixtures for a team that doesn’t look any better then the sort of ‘feel good factor’ is of course gone and it also makes supporters question things.

I’m not so sure the PL is a place that you experiment with a very inexperienced young team and expect them to magically get it right by gameweek 10.

The team that have played in the league feels very Watford to me right now - who are our lads putting themselves on the line/running into the ground?

Desperately missing characters like Brownhill and Barnes (not a dig on Foster at all who has been brilliant, but more on field generals).

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:59 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:43 pm
The team that have played in the league feels very Watford to me right now - who are our lads putting themselves on the line/running into the ground?
Well done on finding another thread to say the exact same thing :D

Interestingly we are top of the ‘distance covered by km’ table by a decent margin, as well as most regains won in the oppositions half, suggests the work rate is definitely there.
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick Bosscat

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:15 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:59 pm
Well done on finding another thread to say the exact same thing :D

Interestingly we are top of the ‘distance covered by km’ table by a decent margin, as well as most regains won in the oppositions half, suggests the work rate is definitely there.
If people post their comments saying the same thing of everything’s fine and dandy when there’s no signs of that (at least imo) then I’ll reply 🤷‍♂️

Saw that stat by the way - might be because we’re also on half way line and find ourselves running back to our own goal constantly. It’s of course good to have good running stats yes but there’s also a balance between running like headless chickens and holding shape - one of the reasons we’re all over the place at the moment is because we’re a bit too gung ho on that front and leaving massive gaps.

You’d hope that we were pinching the ball a bit in the oppositions half if we were effectively sticking 7/8 players there in possession as well!

Who would you say has been really getting stuck in would you say? Koleosho has been battling - defence looks so, so timid though - no grit!

Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Post by Anthonini » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:05 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:15 pm
If people post their comments saying the same thing of everything’s fine and dandy when there’s no signs of that (at least imo) then I’ll reply 🤷‍♂️

Saw that stat by the way - might be because we’re also on half way line and find ourselves running back to our own goal constantly. It’s of course good to have good running stats yes but there’s also a balance between running like headless chickens and holding shape - one of the reasons we’re all over the place at the moment is because we’re a bit too gung ho on that front and leaving massive gaps.

You’d hope that we were pinching the ball a bit in the oppositions half if we were effectively sticking 7/8 players there in possession as well!

Who would you say has been really getting stuck in would you say? Koleosho has been battling - defence looks so, so timid though - no grit!

You're actually twisting our good stats as a motivated hard working team into running around like headless chickens leaving massive gaps to cover. Hard to read tbh.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:49 pm

Anthonini wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:05 pm
You're actually twisting our good stats as a motivated hard working team into running around like headless chickens leaving massive gaps to cover. Hard to read tbh.
Conspiracy theorist posting ‘hard to read’, irony anyone?

They are a bit headless chicken at the mo, I’m sure that will get sorted but yeah overtly pressing/committing (especially if done with poor coordination between players) is exactly how you can get countered.

I just think clutching onto straws like ‘covering the most distance per 90’ after being comprehensively beaten is a bit copium.

Maybe holding shape a bit more and being less gung ho (and therefore lower running stats) would be better for our defensive structure?

Anthonini

Post by Anthonini » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:43 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:49 pm
Conspiracy theorist posting ‘hard to read’, irony anyone?

They are a bit headless chicken at the mo, I’m sure that will get sorted but yeah overtly pressing/committing (especially if done with poor coordination between players) is exactly how you can get countered.

I just think clutching onto straws like ‘covering the most distance per 90’ after being comprehensively beaten is a bit copium.

Maybe holding shape a bit more and being less gung ho (and therefore lower running stats) would be better for our defensive structure?
Bless you

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3167 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:58 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
There was a real connection built between team and fans last season though, special moments shared.

That's because we were winning.

Spindles
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Spindles » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:46 pm

I can see why the fans are feeling nervous, the sea change in the performances on the pitch and the abject defending at times mean we found ourselves capitulating in 12 minutes on Saturday. Is it any wonder some of the fans left after that?
For my part I thought amdouni was not particularly good on Saturday and he should have been replaced by Brownhill instead of berge.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am

The lad clearly has something and will come good. As will many others in this team. And I don't believe it will come too late for survival this season either.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:18 am

It took him some time to come good for his last team. As the FC Basel supporter said when he came here to post, give him time.

Anthonini

Post by Anthonini » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:02 am

When he starts finishing those great runs he makes passing defenders as if they weren't there, we'll be glad we gave this guy the confidence.

I also considered taking him out for a real playmaker but I have the feeling Amdouni could become our best player. He reminds me a bit of Salah or Agüero. Wouldn't make sense benching him. He saved us against Nottingham already. Pretty sure the level of opponents we faced were just too high too soon for many of the players.

Especially in our next games I don't think we have anything to be scared about. Arsenal Brighton and Liverpool will probably whip our butts but the rest we can try to win.

We face some decent opponents like Chelsea and Manchester United but we should just play out own way putting them under pressure and hopefully be more efficient. I do see us stealing some points from them. They aren't performing that well at the moment. If Nottingham can make it hard on them so can we.

So no reason to start playing with 9 defenders now. Just keep going and get better. Tresor and Zaroury will make us alot stronger.
This user liked this post: frankinwales

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:31 pm

Starting as the central striker for Switzerland v Muric’s Kosovo shortly.

Didn’t realise he’s the second top scorer in the Euro qualifiers.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 3837 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:33 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:31 pm
:shock: :shock:

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:38 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:31 pm
Starting as the central striker for Switzerland v Muric’s Kosovo shortly.

Scott McTominay joint top WTF?

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 3837 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:57 pm

Anyone watch the match? How did Zeki & Aro do.

Meant to watch it but something came up

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:07 am

The same issue today.

Thought based on individual performances today he was one of our better players, played a bit deeper and was pretty involved.

But we had no control of the midfield with the four attacking players and Berge was trying to play in the same area, just not sure how our shape works with him playing.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:12 am

aggi wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:07 am
The same issue today.

Thought based on individual performances today he was one of our better players, played a bit deeper and was pretty involved.

But we had no control of the midfield with the four attacking players and Berge was trying to play in the same area, just not sure how our shape works with him playing.
This might sound mad but I was thinking that maybe we could play him as a false 9 again like we did against City and have Foster giving that inbehind threat coming from wide on the right like Tella did last season - with one of Zaroury/Koleosho hugging the touchline on the left.

Would also allow Berge to roam out wide right when Foster drifts in, if part of a three man midfield.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:47 am

He’s a 10 and too good not to play, we need to build a strong base behind him that allows him the freedom to roam forward and one that is going to play simple and just give him the ball.

Now who are our options for 2 sitters behind?

Berge - can’t defend
Massengo - I don’t recall ever seeing him play
Brownhill - headless chicken, wanders from position and leaves gaps, poor on the ball.
Cullen - struggled this season but looks our best bet to fill one of the 2 because it’s his natural game.
Cork - hasn’t been a regular for ages

Is Massengo good enough? If not it has to be Cork and Cullen sat infront of the back four AT ALL TIMES. Pass to Zeki, simple nothing fancy.

We cannot gain a foothold in games to provide a platform to feed the really talented forwards often enough.

It doesn’t help the two full backs have been absolutely awful this season, both look way off it. Roberts is really struggling again.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:01 am

Charlie Taylor had another good game and is having a good season.We are missing Beyer and Ekdal at cb.Berge is not a combatative cm but can play as a 10 as he showed well at Luton.We need a ball wining cm and Jack Cork is our only option
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:38 am

aggi wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:07 am
The same issue today.

I’ve posted this elsewhere but will do so again seen as it serves a purpose.

Our 4-3-3 shape, playing Amdouni and Berge as 8s/10s alongside Cullen who is the single pivot is ‘fine’ in a sense (Brentford played this shape too) but i completely agree that, because we’ve got 4 attacking minded players there infront of Cullen, there’s no battling / defensive nous/ basic ball winning happening.

For what it’s worth I think Amdouni is a real talent (2nd top scorer in Euro qualifiers) and looked great at Forest (was this because we started Brownhill in CM and JBG at RM). I personally think JBG has been quite a big miss ever since he went off v United.
Attachments
IMG_1800.jpeg
IMG_1800.jpeg (102.47 KiB) Viewed 3416 times

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 622 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:12 am

Amdouni came off the bench on Sunday for Swiss as a number 9, I thought the role he played against Luton coming in from the left is where he’s actually looked his best

aggi

Post by aggi » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:33 pm

Although we've changed our shape since the first post, with Berge playing deeper, I'm still not convinced by Amdouni.

He has the occasional flash but seems to be in and out of games. He's not picking up the second balls, he's not hugely involved in our passing mines and he's not getting into the box and scoring. To me, he just doesn't seem to impact the game enough.

It may just be that he needs more time but I think a fair bit of it is tactical as well as his ability. Compared to some of the other players who have played a lot of games I don't think we've seen the same improvement.
This user liked this post: Enola Gay

Enola Gay
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Enola Gay » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:41 pm

He's looking to me like a luxury player we can't afford.

He’s a skillful player and he invariably has a couple of moments in each game that get you (at least inwardly) applauding.

But there aren't enough of those moments and they invariably don’t add up to a full performance. I’m struggling to think of a game where I’ve come off at the end thinking he was our main man, he'd run that game for us, he grabbed that game by the scruff of the neck.

That odd moment here or there isn’t enough for me, and I’d give Berge a run in that advanced role with Cullen/Massengo/ANOther alongside Brownhill behind him. Might make us more solid in front of the defence and it's mean Berge wasn't tripping over someone playing in the same bit of the pitch.
This user liked this post: Murger

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:41 pm

aggi wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:33 pm
Although we've changed our shape since the first post, with Berge playing deeper, I'm still not convinced by Amdouni.

He has the occasional flash but seems to be in and out of games. He's not picking up the second balls, he's not hugely involved in our passing mines and he's not getting into the box and scoring. To me, he just doesn't seem to impact the game enough.

It may just be that he needs more time but I think a fair bit of it is tactical as well as his ability. Compared to some of the other players who have played a lot of games I don't think we've seen the same improvement.
Quite a contrast to the manager naming him as ‘our best player’ last night!

I think he’s playing fine but is a bit of a nearly man at the moment. Bit of incredible skill like the turn on the half way line v Liverpool to take out 3 players, but then blasts the shot wide, and a lovely one two with Zaroury last night, excellent movement then doesn’t control the finish).

Disagree that he’s not involved in our passing combos, I see him as key part in most of our best moves. Feel like there’s a lot more to come from him yet and hopefully with some of the lower teams coming up at home we’ll see more.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2571 times
Has Liked: 771 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:54 pm

If he doesn’t properly influence the Luton game, I’d take him out of the team for a while for an extra midfielder in a 4231 shape (not the 433 from earlier in the season).

It’s absolutely true to say that he’s not impacting games anywhere near enough.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:59 pm

We can’t afford to get relegated while we wait for him to find his best form
The same goes for Tresor and Ramsey

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:17 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:54 pm
If he doesn’t properly influence the Luton game, I’d take him out of the team for a while for an extra midfielder in a 4231 shape (not the 433 from earlier in the season).

It’s absolutely true to say that he’s not impacting games anywhere near enough.
If Foster is fit. So would I.....

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:07 pm

Funny. I started reading this thread thinking 'yes, yes, I agree with that' and then realised that it was started in September after three matches. Yet here we are talking about him in exactly the same way.

He does not seem to have progressed whereas others have.

I would like to see Brun Larson given a go in the second striker type role, or of course the fabled Obafemi.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:24 pm

A big disappointment. No composure when needed. How much longer do we have to wait for him to show he is up to the PL?
I would sum him up as ' Flatters to Deceive'

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:25 pm

I got slated on the match thread for it yesterday, but I agree with a lot of the posts above.

He’s just not effective enough, shows some real flashes of talent but rarely ever backs it up with a finished product.

I would give Tresor a go in the advanced role, or potentially even Brownhill.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1572 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:42 pm

CoolClaret wrote:

When the majority of them aren’t then playing in your opening three fixtures for a team that doesn’t look any better then the sort of ‘feel good factor’ is of course gone and it also makes supporters question things.

I’m not so sure the PL is a place that you experiment with a very inexperienced young team and expect them to magically get it right by gameweek 10.

Desperately missing characters like Brownhill and Barnes (not a dig on Foster at all who has been brilliant, but more on field generals).
Take it you weren’t at Villa park?

The connection between vk, the team and away support is very much there and the team ran themselves into the ground.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:47 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:42 pm
Take it you weren’t at Villa park?

The connection between vk, the team and away support is very much there and the team ran themselves into the ground.
That was posted on the 8th of September mate - recently said that it's finally started to come together but it's leaving us with an awful lot to do.
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:51 pm

Hipper wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:07 pm
Funny. I started reading this thread thinking 'yes, yes, I agree with that' and then realised that it was started in September after three matches. Yet here we are talking about him in exactly the same way.

I would like to see Brun Larson given a go in the second striker type role, or of course the fabled Obafemi.
Amdouni is a passenger we can’t afford to be playing. As for Larson christ his effort up front last night was enough to suggest we should never have to witness it again he’s powder puff.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1572 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:14 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:47 pm
That was posted on the 8th of September mate - recently said that it's finally started to come together but it's leaving us with an awful lot to do.
Why I was surprised you’d said it, sorry should have noticed the date 👍🏻👍🏻

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:08 pm

Hipper wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:07 pm

Which players would you put in the 'progressed' category?

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1802 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:29 pm

I reckon if you're looking at Tresor as an upgrade to Amdouni you're going to be disappointed.

Possibly the only one in the team with less off the ball effort than Amdouni.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 4571 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:53 pm

Amdouni has been really unlucky in front of goal and could easily be in double figures by now. He should learn from his mistakes.

aggi

Post by aggi » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:40 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:08 pm
Which players would you put in the 'progressed' category?
Personally I'd say that Foster, O'Shea, Odobert, Koleosho, Berge and Trafford have all noticeably improved.

Hipper

Post by Hipper » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:43 am

aggi wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:40 am
Personally I'd say that Foster, O'Shea, Odobert, Koleosho, Berge and Trafford have all noticeably improved.
I'd agree mostly with that. Not sure on Koleosho as he was good to start with but I don't think got better - no real end product. Odobert the same.

I'd add Delacroix, based only on Friday.

Unfortunately there are too many that haven't and as they form a large part of the team...... Maybe they will. After all it's taken three years for Watkins and Bowen to come really good but then Che Adams and Maupay never have.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:17 am

aggi wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:40 am
Foster has improved on last season defo, but he was very good at the start of this season. Which I think we're judging?
O shea improving defensively, but not with the ball.
Odebart and Koleosho have been very good in flashes all season.
Berge is hard to judge as he certainly hasn't hit the heights he had at Sheffield United but he started slow and is now doing alright, barring Villa.
Trafford has certainly improved, a long way to go until he's prem standard though.

wbfc
Been Liked: 110 times

Post by wbfc » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:22 am

I think a lot of the players would be okay as bit part players in established Premier league teams ...together they have only won 3 games

Personally I think we bought very badly... I have said previously the goalkeeper at Luton bought from Rovers would have been an upgrade on our goalkeeper for only a few million he is very steady

Tressor, Odobert and Koleosho...I think we could have done without Tressor

I would have kept Townsend and not signed Redmond ...

I do not mind Berge but I do not think he is anything better than championship bottom end premier league only ..

Ramsay the jury is out..I see bits but long way to go

Then I think we should have bought an additional striker with some physicality and left and right back

I wanted them to Beyer...but he has been a bit weak in this league...oshea I knew he was not a world beater but he has played better later

I think it is just an incredibly strong league and it shows what a good job Dyche did admittedly not playing the kind of football I like

I am sure we will be relegated I was of that opinion after Villa and Spurs home defeats

I think VK is incredibly lucky not to have been sacked ..it is rubbish talk about projects ...kids talk on football manager ...it is 3 points on a Saturday which is important...but I would give him the first 15 matches of next season

He talks sense and I am not saying he cannot bring it all back together in a lower standard of football

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 668 times
Has Liked: 2055 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:25 pm

Amdouni reminds me of Fletcher when he was signed for the Coyle Premier League season. A good technical and skillful player but missed too many important chances

Hipper

Post by Hipper » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:34 pm

wbfc wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:22 am
I think VK is incredibly lucky not to have been sacked ..it is rubbish talk about projects ...kids talk on football manager ...it is 3 points on a Saturday which is important...but I would give him the first 15 matches of next season
It depends on what his understandings with Pace and the board are. It's possible they are not concerned about relegation and have some bigger picture in mind. Pace and his entourage after all are here to make money. Us mere fans wouldn't understand that as all we want is for the team to do the best it can. We're now in The Premier League and we don't want to be relegated.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2017 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:40 pm

All that is missing from Amdouni as far as I’m concerned is a settled partnership and a bit of confidence. I expect him to hit a purple patch in front of goal in the not too distant future

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:54 pm

Amdouni is basically our Tella replacement. Doesn't fit into a set position and floats around the front line. I've not seen anything yet that going with him over Tella was a sound decision. At least with Tella, when he was having an off day, he wound up the opposition a bit and was pretty lethal in front of goal.

Not saying he's a bad signing, but as others have said, he's a luxury player who also misses a lot of chances.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2017 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:00 pm

Ric_C wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:54 pm
Amdouni is basically our Tella replacement. Doesn't fit into a set position and floats around the front line. I've not seen anything yet that going with him over Tella was a sound decision. At least with Tella, when he was having an off day, he wound up the opposition a bit and was pretty lethal in front of goal.

Not saying he's a bad signing, but as others have said, he's a luxury player who also misses a lot of chances.
Tella was excellent playing against a high line. There are not many teams in the Premier that rely on playing a high line. I liked Tella A lot, but they are not like for like comparisons… and despite such an outstanding season last year the queue for Tella in the summer was not that long…

I would have liked Tella to stay but I’m not convinced he would have set the Premier League on fire.

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:28 pm

I think you have to differentiate between a player improving and the performance of the player improving.

All the player's performances improved when we changed to a 4-4-2 because it wasn't the 4-3-3 we started with and the manager re-introduced some of the senior players like Brownhill and Taylor.

I think a number of player's performances have improved but I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim that a 25 year old seasoned pro highly rated by Sheffield United has improved since the summer or those who have played barely more than a handful of games for the club.

aggi

Post by aggi » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:34 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:28 pm
I think you have to differentiate between a player improving and the performance of the player improving.

All the player's performances improved when we changed to a 4-4-2 because it wasn't the 4-3-3 we started with and the manager re-introduced some of the senior players like Brownhill and Taylor.

I think a number of player's performances have improved but I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim that a 25 year old seasoned pro highly rated by Sheffield United has improved since the summer or those who have played barely more than a handful of games for the club.
I'd certainly agree that some of the improvements are down to a change in system. But if that change in system hasn't benefitted Amdiuni (as it did Berge for instance) then should he still be starting every week?

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:01 pm

aggi wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:34 pm
I'd certainly agree that some of the improvements are down to a change in system. But if that change in system hasn't benefitted Amdiuni (as it did Berge for instance) then should he still be starting every week?
No, I would be tempted to try Jay Rod and Foster or go to a 4-2-3-1 with an extra centre-mid and just Foster up front.

I just wonder whether we have enough in midfield with a 4-4-2 to pick up points against teams like Everton who have a midfield 3 and Palace who play a low block. And I'm just not sure Amdouni does enough to warrant a 3 in 19 return.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:57 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:00 pm
Tella was excellent playing against a high line. There are not many teams in the Premier that rely on playing a high line. I liked Tella A lot, but they are not like for like comparisons… and despite such an outstanding season last year the queue for Tella in the summer was not that long…

I would have liked Tella to stay but I’m not convinced he would have set the Premier League on fire.
Played against a lot more teams that play with a higher line than we did in the Championship!

Certainly wouldn’t have set the league on fire (not many do) but would have been vital to have his energy/pressing ability and pace in that right wing spot and would have helped us not having the pitch so congested at times - other teams would at least have to account for his threat.

A front three of Odobert-Foster-Tella would be bloody good for us. Proper modern day front three that. Pace, tenacity and ability.