How does the PL fix the VAR problem?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
alancal1973
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Re: How does the PL fix the VAR problem?

Post by alancal1973 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:59 pm

Inconsistency is the issue, what one VAR ref gives, another one doesn't.

We need the same team of Refs & Ex players, that are watching each & every game.

At least then they would hopefully make the same decisions for the same issues

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:02 pm

Simple thing would be to get rid of it still causes the same arguments and debates. Plus with officials now professionally paid a high wage they shouldn’t make as many errors as those we had to endure in the past.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:26 pm

At one point I was complaining that because there are fewer errors you were more negatively impacted by a mistake with VAR. At the moment though it's dropping clangers every week- That one where Onana nearly punched that Wolves players head off is a massive stand out for me but there have been plenty of others.

It's causing at least the same, if not more, controversy than the Refs ever did without it. And for that privilege we've changed rules and spent millions.

Keep goal line technology and scrap the rest. I wouldn't even bother with the offsides because it means I'll keep seeing passages of play where the linesman could have flagged but waits for the phase to end just incase VAR discovers an angle to make someone look onside. The three worst things in football imo: Money, VAR and Ba***rd R**ers

jos
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by jos » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:27 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:13 pm
personally after experiencing it, I'd scrap it in its current form but still continue to use the technology as it does have some purpose.

Goal line tech - yes, as its a did it go over or not. No problem.

Offside - VAR should never be used for this during a game. Post game as a learning point for the officials, yes it has a use. All with a caveat that VAR can (not must!) highlight to the on field officials that a serious error has occurred - which is what they should be doing now, but fail miserably with when it comes to offside.

Violent conduct and other incidents - VAR should be used retrospectively in these incidents to "correct" on field issues that were missed by the officials during the game. I'd go as far as to say simulation etc players should be banned for a game if they have clearly attempted to con the ref. Violent conduct (yes like Foster last night) should be dealt with after the game if the on field officials miss it (after all they're allegedly human!). If the on field officials do see the incidents but get the punishment wrong, then they should be enabled to retrospectively fix the issue but lengthening or shortening the punishment accordingly.

The officials need to feel that it is OK to make mistakes sometimes, but that will never come with the amount of money involved.

None of this is helped by the pundits (muppets?) constantly dissecting each and every decision and apportioning blame to the officials when it goes against their favourite team (don't ever claim they're impartial!), all of which contributes to the fervour for supporters watching which I suppose the TV money wants them to generate right... :(
^^^^ This ^^^^

steveb178
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by steveb178 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:40 pm

If they had a vote to keep or scrap var it would be scrapped tomorrow
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:43 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:58 pm
Obviously you haven't been watching the rugby.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/ ... 06449.html
That's about a new single issue, where they are still working out what's what. However, you can hear the discussions between the ref and the off field officials. Football is light year's behind.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:50 pm

I'm late to the game on this thread, but here's my take

No freeze-framing or slow motion. Although other angles can be used, replays must be reviewed in real-time and with a pre-roll of 10 seconds to give context to the incident. That way, a clear and obvious mistake will be easily identified. If footage needs stopping or slowing, then it's not clear and obvious.

Communication from Stockley Park should be played over the PA system for transparency.

I've worked with VAR and the communication between Stockly Park and the PA Room is shocking. The graphics for the big screen are sent late and the ‘check’ is usually completed way before it communicated to fans in the stadium.

Supporters and pundits need educating on the process. When you hear pundits say, ‘They didn’t even check the incident’ they're wrong. The fans only know that at VAR check is in process when it's taking longer than usual.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:03 pm

Hipper wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:14 pm
Has anyone been sent off for time wasting?
Indirectly, yes. Without the new interpretation Tomiyasu doesn't get the first of his two yellows against Palace. If you increase the number of yellows, you increase the likelihood of reds.

Lord_Bob
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Lord_Bob » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:05 pm

I keep saying it, use challenges like cricket. One per team per half. Win the challenge and you keep it, lose it, no more for that half.

I would also add, you have 15 seconds to make that challenge - in that way it should be a clear and obvious error without having time to go back and review everything in slo-mo. Also, unlike cricket, where you can say, challenge a catch but end up with an lbw, you challenge one incident if VAR sees a foul or offside earlier in the build up, sorry you weren't challenging that decision.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:03 pm

If it was up to me it would be long gone because you simply cannot celebrate a goal anymore like last night and then have the moment taken away. It isn’t going to be scrapped so the changes I’d make is.

1. Each team has a number of ‘challenges’. VAR will then have a timeframe to review the decision, if the team wins their challenge they keep it, if not then they lose it like in cricket. There should also be a football equivalent of ‘umpires call’ whereby if it is not clear and obvious the referee sticks with his on field position.

2. Only the manager or team captains can call for a review.

3. During a review the full dialogue should be heard.

We are trying to purify a game that is beautiful in part because of its imperfections. It has killed the atmosphere, taken the decision making away to a studio somewhere and in short, just bloody awful. I hate VAR and everything to do with it. I pray for a day where it is scrapped because I’m fast approaching the point of non attendance because of it.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2015 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:12 pm

VAR is worth millions to TV… endless replays and angles to discuss and disagree with. VAR won’t be scrapped, but it really is time officials throughout the game remember it is the crowd that makes the game, take away crowd involvement, kill the golden goose.

It’s time the match officials remembered they are servants of the game, not the masters.

Tufty
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Tufty » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:39 pm

Remove VAR altogether apart from determining whether or not the ball is over the goal line.....or for that matter over the byline .

It's so boring and just makes fans and players alike look like fools for celebrating.

ClaretinJapan
Been Liked: 46 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by ClaretinJapan » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:15 am

It's not fit for purpose, unless the purpose is to allow dodgy officials to find reasons to disallow a goal when that's on their agenda. Apart from the goal line technology and offsides, it needs binning, but it won't happen.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4108 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:34 am

It’s massive, so the PL won’t get rid. It’s actually helping those that sell the game to the tv companies.

It’s a bit like talk sport radio…. We all know it’s utter shite, presented by that annoying bloke from down the pub that knows the square root of **** all and who is trying too hard to be controversial but sadly doesn’t know the subject well enough to carry it off, but it doesn’t half get the juices of the baying masses flowing. And because of that, it manages to sell itself, which is why the PL absolutely LOVE IT!!!!

It’s here to stay in its present form. It’s perfect for those that control the game.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3192 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:06 am

The only fair way to use it IMO ...is to give each manager 2 or more challenges to the ref's call per half.
Just like Cricket etc ....you use them when you feel a mistake has been made.
The clock stops while the check is ongoing.....handball, offside etc.
WHAT WE HAVE NOW IS A CLUSTERFCUK OF IMMENSE PROPORTIONS!!......& is ruining the game.

Taffy on the wing
Has Liked: 3192 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:09 am

bobinho wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:34 am
It’s massive, so the PL won’t get rid. It’s actually helping those that sell the game to the tv companies.

It’s a bit like talk sport radio…. We all know it’s utter shite, presented by that annoying bloke from down the pub that knows the square root of **** all and who is trying too hard to be controversial but sadly doesn’t know the subject well enough to carry it off, but it doesn’t half get the juices of the baying masses flowing. And because of that, it manages to sell itself, which is why the PL absolutely LOVE IT!!!!

It’s here to stay in its present form. It’s perfect for those that control the game.
"THIS VAR CHECK IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY PREPARATION H".......NO MORE PAIN, SWELLING OR ITCHING.
Put it in the hands of the managers/players.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:21 am

I think the easiest thing they could do to improve things is to stop with the slo-mo replays and freeze frames.

When the ref went over to the screen for the Berge handball it was frozen at the point the ball was on his arm (already leading the ref)

If you can’t spot the issue using real time replays then it’s not clear and obvious
These 2 users liked this post: NewClaret Rick_Muller

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:30 am

FeedTheArf wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:21 am
I think the easiest thing they could do to improve things is to stop with the slo-mo replays and freeze frames.

When the ref went over to the screen for the Berge handball it was frozen at the point the ball was on his arm (already leading the ref)

If you can’t spot the issue using real time replays then it’s not clear and obvious
This is a really good point.

The slow motion accentuates every movement. Should keep every decision based off real time replays.

Big Vinny K
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:33 am

I’d restrict its use to penalty shoot outs in Premier League games only.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:22 am

The idea of giving managers challenges like in cricket is awful. It works in cricket because you get three reviews for 10 wickets so you have to use them strategically and only when you think there's a good chance it will work. In the Premier League hardly any teams concede more than 2 a game so the vast majority of goals conceded would be challenged regardless. The top teams can concede less than once per game and so would be able to challenge every goal against and still keep a few left over if they fancied angling for a red card or penalty.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:55 am

summitclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:43 pm
That's about a new single issue, where they are still working out what's what. However, you can hear the discussions between the ref and the off field officials. Football is light year's behind.
I think the quote from that rugby article seems to be applicable to any sport though, not just football:

"That consistency can still be missing from the officiating of elite sport is baffling. The Television Match Official and bunker review systems are in place to account for human error, but even being mob-handed and with endless replays, referees and their teams cannot find common ground."