REPORT: Tough on Tyneside

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

REPORT: Tough on Tyneside

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:19 pm

Newcastle v Burnley report

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/tough-on-tyneside
These 3 users liked this post: gawthorpe_view longsidepies Oakworth claret

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Re: REPORT: Tough on Tyneside

Post by CleggHall » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:52 pm

A very fair report, we were generally 2nd best but, as you write, gifted them 2 goals. Need to put away some of the few chances that come our way in the PL, worrying times.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:53 pm

I'm afraid it's one point from six, Tony, not five.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1801 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:39 pm

If we'd have put that first chance away, well, who knows.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:00 pm

I think there are two things that will make a huge difference to the effectiveness of this side, particularly against the "bigger" clubs who blend athleticism with technical quality to an unparalleled extent.

The first will happen, I am pretty sure: put Foster back in that team at number 9 and it is a very different proposition. I can't think of the last time a team came up and survived without having a centre forward they could rely on to give them a platform. Toney has been the foundation of Brentford's success, Awonyi was really key to Forest last season (and they signed Wood because they knew how pivotal it was to have a second option) and even when Sheffield United came up and had that one spectacular sesaon, McGoldrick was critical. Even Bournemouth last season had Solanki. The reason is obvious - it gives you the option to go long and therefore gives you a way to take the press out of the equation, or makes teams think twice about pressing in the first place. It is a little worrying how reliant we already are on Foster but that is in part credit to the way he has stepped up this season and he is the first name on the team sheet for Tuesday night.

The second I think is less certain. We have to be willing to use the pace of Koleosho in particular to stick the ball in behind. The most notable thing from the first Newcastle goal is not Ramsey's mistake - it is that Amdouni decides to play a hooked cross field bouncing pass which didn't really take Ramsey anywhere apart from into trouble in the first place (and which whilst Amdouni played it OK, was a high-risk play in the first place). Of course Ramsey had an easy pass to Taylor and should have used it, but from there Taylor has a choice between a punt to no-one up the line, or trying to slow our attack down and play square, which plays into the hands of Newcastle. Had Amdouni just hooked it over his shoulder, I'm pretty sure Newcastle were defending the half way line and Koleosho has a chance to turn the defence and either make something happen, or at the least get us up the pitch. There's nothing wrong with that play, and there is a mindset point there which I think has to change if we are to be successful.

Tuesday is a totally different proposition. It is back to the Championship, in effect, and hopefully the things that were our strength last season but which have been a weakness this season, can become a strength again: we can control the game, move Luton around and play the game inside their half.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:43 pm

lakedistrictclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:53 pm
I'm afraid it's one point from six, Tony, not five.
Thanks - corrected

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 668 times
Has Liked: 2055 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:48 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:43 pm
Thanks - corrected
Thanks for the report. Have you been surprised by how we've started the season or is it more or less what you expected to date?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:51 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:48 pm
Thanks for the report. Have you been surprised by how we've started the season or is it more or less what you expected to date?
Tough games admittedly but we were looking better I thought in the last two games. Yesterday I thought we were second best more than we’ve been in any other game other than perhaps City. I thought Newcastle just had control.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:51 am

Good report, the worry for me Is when we go behind it's like the stuffing is knocked out of us and if we really go for it we leave ourselves wide open at the back with lack of pace , yes it's worrying but we knew it would be tough, for me our season starts tomorrow at Luton which will be a very tough game with there physical approach but one we can win if we apply ourselves properly.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4075 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:13 am

claretspice wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:00 pm
I think there are two things that will make a huge difference to the effectiveness of this side...put Foster back in that team at number 9 and it is a very different proposition.
Agreed...as long as we feed him properly at every opportunity, and as quickly as possible.
Which is why I reckon the inclusion of Zaroury could be key. (That, and tightening up at the back, of course).
If AZ can fire in those crosses like we know he can, Foster should profit from that.

UTC

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:47 am

The central midfield pairing of Cullen and Brownhill just doesn't work for me. They don't have the athleticism, physical presence or pace to trouble the opposition or to disrupt the opposition when out of possession. We saw it on Saturday and was absolutely highlighted when we played Spurs and up against Sarr, Solomon and Bissouma.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6967 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:43 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:47 am
The central midfield pairing of Cullen and Brownhill just doesn't work for me. They don't have the athleticism, physical presence or pace to trouble the opposition or to disrupt the opposition when out of possession. We saw it on Saturday and was absolutely highlighted when we played Spurs and up against Sarr, Solomon and Bissouma.
We will hopefully see last season's Cullen tomorrow night, but in pretty much every game so far he's been completely nullified by the opposition man marking him to within an inch of his life. It's not really a poor reflection on Cullen, more that the opposition have identified that if they stop the ball into him from the back we are forced out wide and often into a dead end. Last season team's weren't brave or physically capable enough to sacrifice a midfielder to do this job but this season is a different prospect.

As a result he's pretty much playing a sacrificial role, and if we had a more physical alternative in the squad then it would be a fair argument to take him out of the starting eleven. Indeed Jack Cork may be that alternative, although I'm not convinced he's the answer.

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1637 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:44 am

Another excellent report against strong opposition
I thought we played very well for most of the game and just lacked the final ball to get on the scoresheet
I remember the 3-3 draw and walked back to the train station amongst a packed crowd of very friendly Newcastle supporters and a few days later many were dying of covid and felt very fortunate not to have picked up the deadly bug
As said Newcastle have the most friendly of people and was in a bar before and after the match with Geordies wanting to talk to me

sjb
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by sjb » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:24 pm

DAVETHEVICAR wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:44 am
Another excellent report against strong opposition
I thought we played very well for most of the game and just lacked the final ball to get on the scoresheet
I remember the 3-3 draw and walked back to the train station amongst a packed crowd of very friendly Newcastle supporters and a few days later many were dying of covid and felt very fortunate not to have picked up the deadly bug
As said Newcastle have the most friendly of people and was in a bar before and after the match with Geordies wanting to talk to me
I think the 3-3 was in 2015 Dave, a few years before Covid.

DAVETHEVICAR

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:55 pm

Ok cheers sjb
Getting mixed up in my late years
Was at another game just before covid in a big crowd ( maybe Turf Moor) when a few days later the dreaded Covid was announced
I am a luck old beggar who fortunately has never had COVID.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:25 pm

Newcastle was the last pre-covid away game we were able to go to and ended 0-0. The 3-3 draw was on NYD 2015.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:28 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:47 am
Maybe just a case of them being very good Championship midfielders but not quite good enough for the Premier League

DAVETHEVICAR

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:01 pm

Cheers Tony , I thought it was a Newcastle away game .
Wasn’t sure of year and score but knew it was a big crowd walking to a railway station.
Tony, you have an amazing memory and can remember virtually everything about Burnley FC and I am the opposite even about games as recently as the amazing matches last season .