January transfer window rumours.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Re: January transfer window rumours.

Post by bumba » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:25 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:22 am
I know you have probably posted that team to get reactions from people defending Brownhill, Amdouni and Beyer but, when you post a team like that, it's pretty obvious to see where we need to strengthen if we are to stand a chance of staying up this season...
Brownhill doesn't make our strongest 11 if we sign Gueye

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:26 am

bumba wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:25 am
Maybe Foster is out injured longer than we all hoped?
He'd be the main striker then. Chelsea will want a guarantee on game time but can't see us dropping Foster for him
Yes potentially.

I have a sneaky suspicion that VK fancy’s them two as a striker partnership up top.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:27 am

Westleigh wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:18 am
We’re getting the wrong Fofana,just like we got the wrong Ramsey

Which Fofana should we be getting ? I know you don't mean Wesley who is out with an ACL and cost around 70m, I hope you don't mean Seko who went for a payday in Saudi rather than be a footballer.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:29 am

bumba wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:25 am
Brownhill doesn't make our strongest 11 if we sign Gueye
We'll see.... but midfield is the least of our issues (still).

If we don't strengthen the full back positions we don't stand a chance - no matter who else they sign in other positions.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:30 am

I have been really critical of VK but these links are really promising. It looks like he’s learnt from his mistakes and is targeting some experienced pros to compliment our young talent.

bumba

Post by bumba » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:30 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:29 am

If we don't strengthen the full back positions we don't stand a chance - no matter who else they sign in other positions.
If we signed a centre back we could move Beyer to right back, Beyer and Taylor at full back is more than good enough

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:32 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:

I do agree regarding full backs, but I think Centre mid is still a really important position.

If we can retain the ball a bit further up the pitch (instead of between our cbs and keeper) then we will have much better fortunes at both ends of the pitch.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:33 am

Re comment about wingers Zaroury and Benson terrorised defenders and scored cracking goals coming off the wing and shooting
Dervisogloue won us 3 points with his only Clarets goal.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:05 am

Forfana sounds like a brilliant bit of business, and loans are largely all we can get at present in view of our position in the PL. We have had to play JBG and Jay a number of times this season showing how weak the squad is, yet people are querying this signing. Todays football is very much a squad game so I see the playing time up front will rotate between Foster, Amdouini and Forfana, providing much needed competition. And suddenly we are not panicking if one is unavailable/injured

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:22 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:27 am
Which Fofana should we be getting ? I know you don't mean Wesley who is out with an ACL and cost around 70m, I hope you don't mean Seko who went for a payday in Saudi rather than be a footballer.
I thought Wesley ,didn’t realise he was injured.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:24 am

bumba wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:30 am
If we signed a centre back we could move Beyer to right back, Beyer and Taylor at full back is more than good enough
Fans on this forum keep saying about putting Beyer at right back… I know he has played there for previous club(s) but he hasn’t played right back once for VK in 18 months - what makes people believe that all of a sudden he will play him at right back?

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:28 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:24 am
Fans on this forum keep saying about putting Beyer at right back… I know he has played there for previous club(s) but he hasn’t played right back once for VK in 18 months - what makes people believe that all of a sudden he will play him at right back?
Might be because we’re running out of options.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:30 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:32 am
I do agree regarding full backs, but I think Centre mid is still a really important position.

If we can retain the ball a bit further up the pitch (instead of between our cbs and keeper) then we will have much better fortunes at both ends of the pitch
I agree with you that midfield and ball retention is important. But if you were to rate our strength in midfield v our strength at full back (particularly right back) then I think the priority would be full back right now.

It’s such an important position/role in the team and we’ve got nobody in the squad who can play it to a decent standard. I’ve said time and again on here, Vitinho is defensively weak and not good enough on the ball - and he sees plenty of it! Probably more than any other players barring the keeper/centre halves. He’s a big part of the problem. It might sound a bit dramatic but until something changes in that position we’ll never be good enough at this level.

ervi34
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by ervi34 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:31 am

Westleigh wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:22 am
I thought Wesley ,didn’t realise he was injured.
What makes you think we could sign a €80m player? Might as well go and get Van Dijk if that's the case.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:31 am

Westleigh wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:28 am
Might be because we’re running out of options.
The manager will (and has) play AAD at full back before Beyer.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:36 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:30 am
I agree with you that midfield and ball retention is important. But if you were to rate our strength in midfield v our strength at full back (particularly right back) then I think the priority would be full back right now.

It’s such an important position/role in the team and we’ve got nobody in the squad who can play it to a decent standard. I’ve said time and again on here, Vitinho is defensively weak and not good enough on the ball - and he sees plenty of it! Probably more than any other players barring the keeper/centre halves. He’s a big part of the problem. It might sound a bit dramatic but until something changes in that position we’ll never be good enough at this level.
Totally agree, however I think if Gueye is available cheap then it’s a no brainer to go for him this window.

You have got to imagine VK is signing at least one full back if not two this window

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:44 am

Would have preferred Haaland

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:49 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Exactly this.
How many of those calling for Beyer to play right back have ever seen him play in this position ?

It’s very clearly a position we need to strengthen in and prioritise so why fans would want to play an untried player there and at the same time weaken the centre backs is baffling.

The difficulty in the premier league is that most teams have some cracking full backs and a bit like Burnley last year a massive part of the way they play revolves around the athleticism and abilities of their full backs. If you go through the teams many of the best full backs I’m the world play in this country - and unfortunately for us ours (right backs mainly) are just nowhere near the level needed in this league now.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:50 am

GetIntoEm wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:44 am
Would have preferred Haaland
Whose he

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:56 am

Why is right back being prioritised over left back. We have one competent left back at the club and are one injury away from leaving us exposed on that side for half a season.
No point playing centre backs as full backs, they are massively different positions

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:56 am

The thought of playing Beyer at right back is that he has a transferable skill set to play there (can carry the ball, composed when under pressure, has played there before, has been a slightly weak link at cb in recent months, would add extra physicality to our team) and if we are adding yet another centre back this window, that would make six (!!) centre backs competing for just two positions.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:05 am

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:56 am
The thought of playing Beyer at right back is that he has a transferable skill set to play there (can carry the ball, composed when under pressure, has played there before, has been a slightly weak link at cb in recent months, would add extra physicality to our team) and if we are adding yet another centre back this window, that would make six (!!) centre backs competing for just two positions.
He lacks pace and he’s very regularly getting caught with the ball when he’s coming out with it this season. Unfortunately he’s also look far from composed this season - but do think that’s a frustration thing about the mistakes he has made which have cost us dearly and the injury set backs he’s had which means I’m not sure he’s played a game this year where he’s been at the fitness levels of last season.
The other thing we need from at least one of our full backs is being able to cross a ball and some end product when they get into good positions. Not sure about you but I don’t think I have ever seen Beyer cross a ball - presumably in training they know whether he can or not.
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:06 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:49 am
Exactly this.
How many of those calling for Beyer to play right back have ever seen him play in this position ?

It’s very clearly a position we need to strengthen in and prioritise so why fans would want to play an untried player there and at the same time weaken the centre backs is baffling.

The difficulty in the premier league is that most teams have some cracking full backs and a bit like Burnley last year a massive part of the way they play revolves around the athleticism and abilities of their full backs. If you go through the teams many of the best full backs I’m the world play in this country - and unfortunately for us ours (right backs mainly) are just nowhere near the level needed in this league now.
Reminds when posters used to go on about moving Trippier to the right wing!

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:08 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:36 am
Totally agree, however I think if Gueye is available cheap then it’s a no brainer to go for him this window.

You have got to imagine VK is signing at least one full back if not two this window
Got to be two new full backs this window who fit our system and like someone has posted above can actually cross the ball well on a regular basis.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:24 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:08 am
Got to be two new full backs this window who fit our system and like someone has posted above can actually cross the ball well on a regular basis.
I know it won’t happen but I would absolutely love that Doughty from Luton. I think he’s perfect for VKs style.

Outsider chance he goes to the Euros with the forms he’s in (and the numerous injuries to Left backs England seem to have)

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 427 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:26 am

Not a rumour but Ben Johnson is available at West Ham, out of contract at the end of the season and not going to be offered an extension.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:34 am

I think we have to cut Beyer some slack because he was probably expecting to be paired with Ekdal and that's almost certainly our best, most experienced CB pairing, even though it still might not have been good enough tbf. As it is that pairing hasn't happened and Beyer has had to try to find his feet in the toughest league in the world whilst schooling two extremely young and green partners in O'Shea and Al Dakil on a regular basis. Coupled with that I don't think he's always been fully fit. With Ekdal permanently absent seemingly having both legs replaced, pairing Beyer with Delcroix might be a solution, but moving him to full back really isn't imo. What this also highlights is that injuries to key players in basically all positions barring goalie, which we can't seem to clear up have been a huge problem for us during the first half of the season and sadly it doesn't look like improving. The knock on effect of this means we're now looking at signings to cover positions which we wouldn't normally have been expecting to need.

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1073 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:35 am

This guy from Chelsea isn't exactly prolific but will probably offer something more than Jay Rod

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:38 am

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Why is right back being prioritised over left back. We have one competent left back at the club and are one injury away from leaving us exposed on that side for half a season.
No point playing centre backs as full backs, they are massively different positions
"We have one competent left back at the club and are one injury away from leaving us exposed on that side for half a season"

Agreed.

"Why is right back being prioritised over left back"

Because we have NO competent right backs which leaves us exposed on that side for (another) half a season.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:40 am

RVclaret wrote:
I understand the thought process but, again, the manager has never played Beyer at right full back and tried numerous different players instead - why would he start playing Beyer there now? It's all coming across a little 'Football Manager'.
This user liked this post: AGENT_CLARET

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:43 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:40 am
I understand the thought process but, again, the manager has never played Beyer at right full back and tried numerous different players instead - why would he start playing Beyer there now? It's all coming across a little 'Football Manager'.
Like I said, if we are signing ANOTHER centre half, that could be a reason to give Beyer a try there, given how useless the current incumbent is, and given a new cb would likely be signed for the first 11 (and O’Shea has made one spot his own lately).

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:46 am

You’d imagine with one of our 2 prem loans being fofana that the other prem loan will be a full back

ralph8
Been Liked: 36 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by ralph8 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:49 am

Vitinho has improved of late, however, we desperately need an all-round full back who is competent in the air defending Corners, Free Kicks and Crosses to the big units, who most PL teams seem to have plenty of.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:50 am

RVclaret wrote:
The thought of playing Beyer at right back is because he's played quite a lot of football in that position. I've even watched him play as a right wing back in a 352 for Germany U21s. Its not really football manager given that history. He's quick enough, a good one v one defender (his weaknesses have been physicality and positioning generally) a composed passer out and carries nicely so apart from having played there hes got attributes that fit. It's an obvious way therefore to keep a good player who is struggling at centre back in the team, and adding extra height to the team which is badly lacking at times.
These 3 users liked this post: RVclaret ClaretAL nil_desperandum

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1073 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:51 am

LB, RB and a CF are a priority if we are to pull off a miracle and stay up

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:54 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:32 am

If we can retain the ball a bit further up the pitch (instead of between our cbs and keeper) then we will have much better fortunes at both ends of the pitch.
I agree. Although I think a RB and LB (in that order) are probably higher priority positions.

I really want to sign Gueye, he looks just what I think we need in midfield - big lad, physical, holds position, closes and gets tackles in, can play a long ball.

I also just have a suspicion that if Everton sell Onana then they might be in for Brownhill. Theres nowhere else you’re going to get a player with so much experience for the probably £10m we’d accept for Brownhill.

All that said, Gueye is not getting game time at Marseille, a club in a worse league, and managed by Gattuso who you’d expect to know a decent DM when he sees one. So I also wonder if Vinny’s comments that he doesn’t see anyone joining that would dramatically improve us come in to play here - and if we signed him without Browny leaving it would be someone he sees as strengthening the squad instead of the first team initially.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:02 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:

If you're strong in midfield it should take the pressure off the full backs and CHs.
All of a sudden them defenders aren't that bad.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:14 am

claretspice wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:50 am
The thought of playing Beyer at right back is because he's played quite a lot of football in that position. I've even watched him play as a right wing back in a 352 for Germany U21s. Its not really football manager given that history. He's quick enough, a composed passer out and carries nicely. It's an obvious way therefore to keep a good player who is struggling at centre back in the team, and adding extra height to the team which is badly lacking at times.
I must be watching a different season unfold because (bar the obvious couple of errors) I think Beyer is doing very well this season. I think he’s looked our most assured defender bar maybe Charlie.

I think defence has vastly improved since we changed system and gave it more protection and stopped taking as many risks in possession. But also think our massive issue this season has been failure to take our chances, not just defence.

I don’t know why we’d all think a player like Nyamsi would come in and massively improve us. No games at PL level and doesn’t regularly start for a mid table ligue un side.

I’m also dead against loanees coming in and displacing players where we have decent numbers and quality. I can understand getting cover at striker, LB and adding quality at RB. Less so at CB where I think we have a decent partnership forming and we basically need to give our players experience.

Beyers runs followed by a sideways pass do infuriate me though. I’d have a rule that if you’re doing those runs you play it in behind to either winger. Gets us on the attack and puts the ball in to a low risk area that allows the team to get back in shape.

bumba

Post by bumba » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:14 am

NewClaret wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:54 am
I agree. Although I think a RB and LB (in that order) are probably higher priority positions.

I really want to sign Gueye, he looks just what I think we need in midfield - big lad, physical, holds position, closes and gets tackles in, can play a long ball.

I also just have a suspicion that if Everton sell Onana then they might be in for Brownhill. Theres nowhere else you’re going to get a player with so much experience for the probably £10m we’d accept for Brownhill.

All that said, Gueye is not getting game time at Marseille, a club in a worse league, and managed by Gattuso who you’d expect to know a decent DM when he sees one. So I also wonder if Vinny’s comments that he doesn’t see anyone joining that would dramatically improve us come in to play here - and if we signed him without Browny leaving it would be someone he sees as strengthening the squad instead of the first team initially.
I doubt Brownhill or any of our midfielders wouldn't get minutes at Marseille so doesn't mean he won't improve us. Marseille will be a champions league club with a very good squad.
He was playing for Sevilla on loan last season.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:15 am

bumba wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:14 am
I doubt Brownhill or any of our midfielders wouldn't get minutes at Marseille so doesn't mean he won't improve us. Marseille will be a champions league club with a very good squad.
He was playing for Sevilla on loan last season.
Fair point(s).

bumba

Post by bumba » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:15 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Because he's a good footballer and his attributes suit that role, he got away with playing as a centre back in the championship but he's being exposed in this league.
If we sign a strong solid centre back he could fill the inverted full back role very well

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:16 am

Love the way people are writing Connor Roberts off-we are after all Burnley FC not Barcelona to quote someone. Over 50 games for Wales and one of the first on their name sheet. He was sensational for us last year, playing 50 games and scoring 5. He has 40 PL games under his belt. Down to the coaches and VK to get the best out of him, but in my opinion he has fallen out of favour owing to his sending off at Brentford, and not because of his playing ability. Give me a performing Roberts all day long over a performing Vitinho at RB
This user liked this post: Ziggy Stardust

Kilson810
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Kilson810 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:24 am

Apologies if this has already been posted, looks like we may be close to a loan signing.
Screenshot_20240112-112211.png
Screenshot_20240112-112211.png (831.86 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
This user liked this post: frankinwales

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:27 am

The club has done a good job here-cannot think of another footballer that looks a double of Nathan Tella
This user liked this post: Kilson810

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:29 am

Beyer has played plenty of times at fullback in Germany and representing Germany at youth level.

Makes perfect sense, even inverting into midfield etc.

O'Shea has been far and away our best defender for me (after a very rough start), Chaz in second.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:33 am

Not having a proven replacement for left back is just suicidal. Beyer or another centre back could play there in emergencies but they don’t have the engine, the speed or the recovery powers needed to play the role for half a season.

Right back is a very low priority as we have two players who are both competent and other positions need bolstering far more

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:54 am

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:33 am
Not having a proven replacement for left back is just suicidal. Beyer or another centre back could play there in emergencies but they don’t have the engine, the speed or the recovery powers needed to play the role for half a season.

Right back is a very low priority as we have two players who are both competent and other positions need bolstering far more
Agree, in this window, a LB and a striker are massive priorities, any other positions are nice to haves

Ziggy Stardust
Been Liked: 46 times
Has Liked: 168 times

Post by Ziggy Stardust » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:19 pm

Perhaps he's sick of looking at the bench after 70 minutes and seeing nothing really to throw on up top. Think he will start on the bench at City. Can't see us starting with two nine's over there.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:32 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:16 am
Love the way people are writing Connor Roberts off-we are after all Burnley FC not Barcelona to quote someone. Over 50 games for Wales and one of the first on their name sheet. He was sensational for us last year, playing 50 games and scoring 5. He has 40 PL games under his belt. Down to the coaches and VK to get the best out of him, but in my opinion he has fallen out of favour owing to his sending off at Brentford, and not because of his playing ability. Give me a performing Roberts all day long over a performing Vitinho at RB
You keep banging this drum like Roberts has been benched for a red card and nothing to do with him being absolutely garbage this season. Far from convincing under Dyche and Jackson at this level too.

Sell

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:33 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:14 am
I must be watching a different season unfold because (bar the obvious couple of errors) I think Beyer is doing very well this season. I think he’s looked our most assured defender bar maybe Charlie.

I think defence has vastly improved since we changed system and gave it more protection and stopped taking as many risks in possession. But also think our massive issue this season has been failure to take our chances, not just defence.

I don’t know why we’d all think a player like Nyamsi would come in and massively improve us. No games at PL level and doesn’t regularly start for a mid table ligue un side.

I’m also dead against loanees coming in and displacing players where we have decent numbers and quality. I can understand getting cover at striker, LB and adding quality at RB. Less so at CB where I think we have a decent partnership forming and we basically need to give our players experience.

Beyers runs followed by a sideways pass do infuriate me though. I’d have a rule that if you’re doing those runs you play it in behind to either winger. Gets us on the attack and puts the ball in to a low risk area that allows the team to get back in shape.
1 v 1 Beyer has been fine but he's been bullied at times. The most obvious example of that is Everton's second goal where Michael Keane beats him far too easily (little nudge and Beyer isn't strong enough, and he misjudged the flight of the ball too). He's also been caught out positionally (eg West Ham's equaliser).

He's not been bad which is why I think many see him as integral to the team. But I certainly think O'Shea has been superior. If we can slot Beyer in at right back then I think that enables him to continue his development whilst making the team more physical and imposing, which cant be a bad thing.