Everton docked 10 points

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 201 times

Re: Everton docked 10 points

Post by bumba » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:13 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:08 pm
The stats over 10 years suggest they do, yes.

The doom-mongers do not like it, but the run up to and including Everton at home is a chance to really create a gap to them. If we don’t take it that is another matter but it is there to have a go at. As form shifts, sides can look very different to what they did before, for better or for worse, including us and Everton, though I’ll admit it does feel easy now for Dyche to instil a siege mentality.

Given the uncertainty over compensation we have to try to make that points penalty worth something to us.
It doesn't matter what previous teams have done under the lights, this is a whole new team

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 160 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:13 pm

Simon Jordan reckons there's zero chance of any clubs being able make a claim from Everton, we will have to wait and see.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1576 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:29 pm

Clive 1960 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:13 pm
Simon Jordan reckons there's zero chance of any clubs being able make a claim from Everton, we will have to wait and see.
Must admit i tend to agree.

We are going to sue Everton because the premier league didn’t deduct points from them?

It’s a bit of a nonsensical argument
This user liked this post: Clive 1960

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:31 pm

Clive 1960 wrote:
If Simon Jordan knew half as much as he thinks he does he might not have had to get out of Crystal Palace after losing all his money trying to run a football club
This user liked this post: Clive 1960

Fretters
Been Liked: 1054 times
Has Liked: 558 times

Post by Fretters » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:45 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:29 pm

We are going to sue Everton because the premier league didn’t deduct points from them?

No, we're suing them for cheating and staying up at our expense. The points deduction has just proved that they did, giving us the ammo to sue.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:52 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Presumably Nick Di Marco thinks we have a case. He is afterall one of the leading barristers in sports litigation.

Appreciate he’s not a failed football chairman or an UTC poster with an opinion on every topic, but he might know a little bit.
These 3 users liked this post: Ziggy Stardust evensteadiereddie Foshiznik

Stevie Morgan
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by Stevie Morgan » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:58 pm

:D
Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Erm, they did.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3120 times
Has Liked: 3861 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:58 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

No, I imagine we would sue Everton because we’d assert that their cheating caused us loss (in the form of relegation).

They did deduct points from them which is means so I’m not sure what you mean by that.

Bowclaret
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bowclaret » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:59 pm

We will get our compensation for sure. Everton broke the rules (clearly) resulting in us getting relegated. Clear cut case.

And as for Jordan……That’s why he’s second string on a terrible radio station after failing to run a football club.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1661 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:02 pm

Clive 1960 wrote:
Jordan must disagree with the KC chair of the commission, who said that we do appear to have a basis for a claim.

Whether that claim is successful is another matter, but it good enough to be allowed to make it and for the commission to spend time judging on it.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1701 times
Has Liked: 2536 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:06 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

And after a hiatus, a brief one admittedly, of a few days here he is yet again looking to provoke posters into further anti-Burnley arguments with the sole aim of ..... well, you tell me. Perhaps because he can. 🤔

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:12 pm

Nobody can say with any real certainty what Simon Jordan's opinion would be if his job wasn't to be provocative about football on the radio.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:41 pm

Clive 1960 wrote:
I like Jordan and he’s usually worth a listen, but it’s worth remembering that he was adamant we’d be knackered after relegation so he can be wrong about stuff
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:52 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 pm
Yep, that’s the paragraph.

Firstly, I don’t buy your argument that they just breached a technicality. They broke the whole rule, by nearly a fifth. I’d call that a flagrant breach. Bare in mind here, the PSR guidance is actually to make no losses. They allow £105m as a margin for error. They smashed that and then some.

Nor do I buy the “but they were caught out by terrible, unforeseen circumstances” argument. It was their choice to invest in a stadium, covid hit us all (and they got very generous allowances considered as part of that) and the Russian wanting to sponsor the stadium for 20 years is dodgy AF.

Nor do I buy that poor old Everton, top division club for 70 years, we’re just investing to survive. The Telegraph article contains this:

“The reason Everton were sailing close to the wind in the first place lay in the extraordinary investment that Moshiri made in chasing success at the start of his ownership. He has spent £750 million since taking control in February 2016, with by far the biggest chunk going on transfers, wages, coaching changes, and associated fees.

By the end of his first five years, Everton’s net transfer spend was £230 million (the sixth-highest in the Premier League during the period) and they had one of the world’s best-paid managers, Carlo Ancelotti, on £14 million per year, having already spent £37 million hiring and paying off coaches under Moshiri. “What we’re ultimately guilty of is that we dared to dream and rolled the dice,” said a source at Goodison. “The football club took itself to the line.”

They signed James Rodriguez on £250k per week. They recklessly pursued success and came unstuck. Where your sympathy comes from I can’t understand.

What I will concede is that they then tried to get their ship in order a bit and reign things in. Just not enough. In my mind “trying to survive” by breaking the rules is just not fair because someone who does the same but stays within the rules is unfairly disadvantaged. In this particular year, it was us. And it cost us a fortune as you know.

Had that had the worst consequences, and sent us out of business, I wonder if you’d have so much sympathy for Everton?
As far as I can tell Moshiri has never had a net spend in one season to equal the amount we have spent this summer. Of course, it's complicated but the highest net spend I can see is in 17/18 when they had a net spend of £80 million.

If a club like Everton has the sixth highest net spend in the PL that is not reckless spending that is just the kind of spending they need to maintain their position. They are a top 8 club with gates around 40,000.

And their spending over the last 5 years has seen them in the bottom 3 of spenders (and often on the pitch).

The amount they eventually benefited from was around £20 million and they tried to resolve their position over an extended period against the backdrop of Covid, a new stadium and sanctions.

If that warrants ten points then so be it but City have 112 breaches cited against them.

I only have sympathy for their fans because they have reckless owners who have put the pursuit of wealth ahead of the well being of their club and the game.

I guess you could argue their fans having enjoyed the spending without a great deal of foresight deserve the consequences but then again people in glass houses and all that.....

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:54 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:02 pm
Jordan must disagree with the KC chair of the commission, who said that we do appear to have a basis for a claim.

Whether that claim is successful is another matter, but it good enough to be allowed to make it and for the commission to spend time judging on it.
I think we most certainly have a claim but who wants to see football clubs suing each other?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:13 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:54 pm
I think we most certainly have a claim but who wants to see football clubs suing each other?
Technically, nobody will sue anyone. That’s sort of the purpose of the PL rules keeping it all in-house.

We’ll claim for compensation through the premier league and they’ll decide no (probably). No lawyers or court rooms involved.

The problem is, if you believe there should be financial rules that promote a level(ish) playing field and encourage clubs to operate sustainably, the prospect for such compensation claims will exist.

I reckon we have a case. I think causation might be tough to prove but no doubt the club will have had our data people all over this gathering data on the impacts that their signings had on the season & points tally. We’ll be well prepared. Proving loss will be easy but massively complicated if we were to stay up this year at Everton’s expense given a 10 pt deduction.

But as discussed I think the PL have handled it shockingly and Everton do have some mitigations in the sense they appear to have tried to reign in their behaviour/engage with the PL about it.

In my mind the best approach would be for everyone to get together and sort it out without claims and it all being public. Everton presumably don’t want protracted uncertainty that could disrupt their takeover, the PL presumably don’t want a compo claim to send one of their clubs in to admin, we presumably want some form of recompense but today at least are uncertain if the commission would rule in our favour. All reeks to me of a very sensible time to be in settlement negotiations while all parties have something to lose by not coming to the table.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1661 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:07 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:13 pm
We’ll claim for compensation through the premier league and they’ll decide no (probably). No lawyers or court rooms involved
Not through the Premier League, through an Independent Commission. One comprising of a judge, KC and accountant.

I assume we would continue to have the leading KC Nick De Marko representing us. The one who has done podcasts and books. He tweeted about it 2 days ago but couldn’t be drawn on the details.

(as an aside, I find it amusing what our Americans think about “us” being used in this context, with “us” not having a financial stake but acting like we do - we view the club as part of our body and soul, whereas US sport is very different and the owners in those sports probably don’t feel a need to keep fans in the loop on this kind of thing. Or to recognise their emotional stake)

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3180 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:22 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:07 pm
...(as an aside, I find it amusing what our Americans think about “us” being used in this context, with “us” not having a financial stake but acting like we do - we view the club as part of our body and soul, whereas US sport is very different and the owners in those sports probably don’t feel a need to keep fans in the loop on this kind of thing. Or to recognise their emotional stake)

I understand where you are coming from, however, there are still over 1,200 independent shareholders in the club (even NewClaret appears on the verge of becoming one) that demonstrates some have the kind of stake that the 'Americans can understand a little more
This user liked this post: CrosspoolClarets

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:08 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:13 pm
Technically, nobody will sue anyone. That’s sort of the purpose of the PL rules keeping it all in-house.

We’ll claim for compensation through the premier league and they’ll decide no (probably). No lawyers or court rooms involved.

The problem is, if you believe there should be financial rules that promote a level(ish) playing field and encourage clubs to operate sustainably, the prospect for such compensation claims will exist.

I reckon we have a case. I think causation might be tough to prove but no doubt the club will have had our data people all over this gathering data on the impacts that their signings had on the season & points tally. We’ll be well prepared. Proving loss will be easy but massively complicated if we were to stay up this year at Everton’s expense given a 10 pt deduction.

But as discussed I think the PL have handled it shockingly and Everton do have some mitigations in the sense they appear to have tried to reign in their behaviour/engage with the PL about it.

In my mind the best approach would be for everyone to get together and sort it out without claims and it all being public. Everton presumably don’t want protracted uncertainty that could disrupt their takeover, the PL presumably don’t want a compo claim to send one of their clubs in to admin, we presumably want some form of recompense but today at least are uncertain if the commission would rule in our favour. All reeks to me of a very sensible time to be in settlement negotiations while all parties have something to lose by not coming to the table.
I don't disagree with any of this.... and you make loads of good points.

However, had Moshiri sold the club prior to last week he would have walked away with a significant profit and would have been left completely unscathed by this issue.

The point of the PLs rules is to protect community assets and the interests of the fans.

Everton fans will be significantly aggrieved that 6 years after Moshiri's only real summer of intent Everton are facing a 10 point deduction and heavy compensation claims after watching their club flirt with relegation for 2 or 3 seasons.

Just as we will if it proves to be that ALK have over reached themselves and have committed 3 years broadcast revenue and built up huge debts spending on a team that is nowhere near good enough to play in the PL.

Of course, I am not suggesting the team is nowhere near good enough or that ALK have gambled way into the future I don't think anyone on here knows one way or t'other...

My overriding feeling is there but for the grace of God, regardless, of arguments of how rational that sentiment is.... perhaps that is why the treatment of Everton bothers me a little.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:37 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:07 pm
Not through the Premier League, through an Independent Commission. One comprising of a judge, KC and accountant.

I assume we would continue to have the leading KC Nick De Marko representing us. The one who has done podcasts and books. He tweeted about it 2 days ago but couldn’t be drawn on the details.

(as an aside, I find it amusing what our Americans think about “us” being used in this context, with “us” not having a financial stake but acting like we do - we view the club as part of our body and soul, whereas US sport is very different and the owners in those sports probably don’t feel a need to keep fans in the loop on this kind of thing. Or to recognise their emotional stake)
Correct.

I noted that when reading it back, but it was too late to edit. Assuming they are truly independent of course, which I’m a little sceptical about but hey, there remains a risk to the PL that the commission rules in our favour and awards compensation. In which case the floodgates open in future trials. So I think now would be a good time to talk and ideally reach a compromise agreement aided by the PL. A bit like the Tevez affair.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:46 am

Blimey they are all whinging about the 10 points, even the MP is bringing it up in Westminster. Surely is will get reduced now, not that it matters to us

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:35 am

Won't it just be us and Leicester that have a claim? Leeds and Southampton would have gone down anyway and Nottingham Forest are still in the Premier.

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:41 am

Spurs were docked 12 points, banned from playing in the FA Cup and fined £600,00 in 1984 for irregular payments. They had the points deduction and FA Cup ban wiped off after 2 appeals but were fined more. It will probably be stricter now though with all the laws brought in.

https://hotspurhq.com/2013/12/09/totten ... ime-spurs/

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:31 pm

Stevie Morgan wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:58 pm
:D

Erm, they did.
They did, but not in the season that affected us? That’s the point isn’t it?

That’s why we are sueing them because the premier league didn’t deduct points that season and we were relegated.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:33 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:06 pm
And after a hiatus, a brief one admittedly, of a few days here he is yet again looking to provoke posters into further anti-Burnley arguments with the sole aim of ..... well, you tell me. Perhaps because he can. 🤔
Grow up silky, my comment was a fair one. I don’t understand the case we have for suing Everton.

On the same basis why arnt we suing Man City and Chelsea?

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:09 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:33 pm
Grow up silky, my comment was a fair one. I don’t understand the case we have for suing Everton.

Our case is similar to why Sheffield United sued West Ham - they broke rules at their expense of staying in the league. The court agreed and Sheffield United received £20m compensation.

On the second question, City and Chelsea have not yet been found guilty of anything, the latter hasn’t even been charged with anything?
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:29 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Until city and Chelsea have been found guilty, then nobody can sue them

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1667 times
Has Liked: 2987 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:47 pm

And even then it’s unlikely we’d be able to say that either City or Chelsea would have been relegated instead of us if justice had been done at the time.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:27 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:31 pm
They did, but not in the season that affected us? That’s the point isn’t it?

That’s why we are sueing them because the premier league didn’t deduct points that season and we were relegated.
I would imagine that is one of our legal arguments. But according to a legal perspective in those tweets (baring in mind they were not from a sports lawyer and also a toffee), that’s probably not a sound argument. But I’ll be surprised if we don’t make it.

Our argument will be more that their failure to adhere to the rules, by not reigning in transfer spending, caused our relegation. We will be analysing the players they signed in the period where they were in breach and arguing they were instrumental in securing more than 4 points than us, I assume. Therefore, had they opted to a uphold a more reserved transfer policy in order to remain in PSR (like us), they’d have been relegated and we would not have suffered loss.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1701 times
Has Liked: 2536 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:34 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Anything is deemed as 'fair' today or do you not find time to watch the news or listen to it.
Might be wrong but neither City nor Chelsea 'pipped us' to that last relegation slot.
Litigation isn't my strong point but I would hazard a guess that those involved have looked at it and thoroughly discussed it before deciding to take some action. Still trying to grow up but my wife tells me I have a long way to go and might not achieve it before the grim reaper pays me a visit. Oh well. 🤔😒😔

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1052 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by MrTopTier » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:46 pm

Just been announced that same commission that made the 10 point deduction, will sit and look at possible compensation claims from the other clubs involved.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:53 pm

MrTopTier wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:46 pm
Just been announced that same commission that made the 10 point deduction, will sit and look at possible compensation claims from the other clubs involved.
Oooo that’s going to be interesting
They’ve already got all the facts and have read it all

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3180 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:04 pm

MrTopTier wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:46 pm
The separate statement on Friday effectively said as much

the key question is who will preside over the appeal from Everton

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:39 pm

If we win our compensation claim,Everton go into administration and the PL dock them another 10 points I still think they’ll finish above us.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:32 pm

Panel who punished Everton will decide on rivals’ compensation claims
Burnley and Leicester City, who finished 18th in the Premier League in the past two seasons respectively, would appear to have the strongest case for damages

Martyn Ziegler, Chief Sports Reporter Tuesday November 21 2023, 3.00pm, The Times

The same independent commission that imposed a ten-point deduction on Everton will also decide if other clubs should receive tens of millions of pounds in compensation for financial damages connected to the case.

Five clubs — Burnley, Leicester City, Leeds United, Southampton and Nottingham Forest — have been part of a legal action connected to the Everton case. They have 28 days from receiving the ruling on the Goodison Park club, which came last Friday, to pursue a claim.

The Premier League has confirmed that the independent regulatory commission that ruled on Everton’s case will also decide on any compensation claims. The commission was headed by David Phillips KC, Judge Alan Greenwood and Nick Igoe, the former financial director at West Ham United.

In his ruling which blocked the five clubs being parties to the Everton case, Phillips said: “I am satisfied that the applicant clubs have potential claims for compensation.”

Everton have said they will appeal against the ten-point deduction and any compensation claim will have to take the appeal decision into account. An appeal would be heard before the end of the season.

Everton insiders have questioned how more than one club could receive compensation, considering that at the most only one team would have been relegated instead of Everton.

Burnley and Leicester would appear to have the strongest claim to damages. Burnley were relegated in the 2021-22 season, the campaign in which Everton were judged to have breached the Premier League’s profit and sustainability rules in terms of financial losses. Had the ten-point deduction been applied that season, Burnley would have survived and Everton would have been relegated. Burnley were promoted back to the Premier League at the first attempt but the financial cost to them was still about £50 million.

Everton were charged in March, but the five clubs unsuccessfully appealed for the commission to deal with the case before the end of last season. Leicester were relegated in 2022-23 — finishing 18th, a place and two points below Everton — and would also have lost about £50 million should they win promotion at the first attempt.

Had Everton’s points deduction been applied last season, it would not have prevented Leeds from being relegated but the club would have finished one place higher in the Premier League table, meaning an extra £2.2million in income.

There appear to be no grounds for Southampton, who finished bottom, or Forest, who stayed up in 16th, to claim compensation, as the points deduction would have made no difference to their league position in either season.

Phillips’s ruling added: “Those claims and their validity depend on whether the complaint is upheld. They depend on factual circumstances concerning the causation of any loss and they depend on other factual issues.

“If the complaint is upheld, the commission may wish to award compensation to one or more of the applicant clubs. If the complaint is upheld, the Premier League must provide a copy of the decision to the applicant clubs forthwith. Within 28 days of receipt of a copy of the decision, each applicant club must inform the commission whether it wishes to pursue a claim for . . . compensation.”

The compensation rules have been brought into the Premier League since Sheffield United agreed a £20 million out-of-court settlement with West Ham — during Igoe’s time at the club — after the London club had breached third-party ownership rules with the Argentina striker, Carlos Tevez.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5565 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:27 pm

Screenshot_20231122_150249_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20231122_150249_Facebook.jpg (310.03 KiB) Viewed 2410 times

50% off replica kits, 71% off their points.

Westleigh

Post by Westleigh » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:52 pm

Lots of whinging on The Everton forum,they’re going all out to upset the Prem League and Sky ,especially as Sky are talking about playing fake crowd noise to blank out the protests,poor little scousers being punished and they think all the clubs in the country are behind them and it’s a certainty that the points deduction will be quashed,after watching the the likes of Richarlison & Gordon diving every 5 mins the last time they were on the Turf I hope they go in to Admin and get relegated.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5098 times
Has Liked: 6933 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:00 pm

If the FA Premier league or whoever had the authority had of banned Richarlison straight away for throwing the flare they'd have been relegated, but the powers that be waited until they were safe, Scousers expect everyone and everything to bow to their will, they've been pondered to long enough.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:43 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:00 pm
If the FA Premier league or whoever had the authority had of banned Richarlison straight away for throwing the flare they'd have been relegated, but the powers that be waited until they were safe, Scousers expect everyone and everything to bow to their will, they've been pondered to long enough.
That should have an independent commission investigate it too.

I think we were far too quiet on that at the time & should’ve been shouting to the high heavens about that.

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1087 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:59 am

Got a feeling they'll win an appeal and have the 10 point docking reduced to 5 points

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:17 pm

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:59 am
Got a feeling they'll win an appeal and have the 10 point docking reduced to 5 points
Depends what they appeal about... If its just the punishment I agree with you
If its an appeal against the findings, and they win, there won't be any punishment

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:10 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:17 pm
Depends what they appeal about... If its just the punishment I agree with you
If its an appeal against the findings, and they win, there won't be any punishment
They’ll likely appeal on both the verdict and the sanction for good measure. They’d be stupid not to.

Nobody should kid themselves that appeals are easy to win though.

On the verdict they’ll have to prove that an error has been made in implementing the rules, or there were flaws in the process followed to reach that verdict. These will typically be technical arguments. That’s where the written reasons are so important. It won’t be a re-hearing of the whole case, rather what the original commission got wrong. They’ll have covered their backsides, I imagine.

On the sanction they’ll have to prove why it’s unjust. There’s lots of examples of similar points penalties for such indiscretions so they’ll have to explain why theirs is unduly harsh based on precedents. Saying it’s their opinion it’s harsh will not be sufficient. Worth remembering here that the appeal will be considering how the punishment fits in to league rules, which I understand points deductions are unlimited and the league itself recommended a 12 point deduction. I think the commission went lower precisely so they could say Everton’s counter arguments had been factored in to the decision.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1191 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:03 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:31 pm
If Simon Jordan knew half as much as he thinks he does he might not have had to get out of Crystal Palace after losing all his money trying to run a football club
That's not the best way of looking at things, shall we not listen to a reformed ex heroin user because they once was addicted to heroin talking about the dangers of heroin, of course not it's even more reason to listen to people who have lived the experience & made mistakes along the way, just because it doesn't align with your opinion doesn't invalidate somebody else's especially somebody who is more knowledgeable about a certain subject than yourself.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg hoskinsgoalatswansea

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1776 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:13 am

Simon Jordan tailors his argument to suit the agenda of the Talk Sport topic of that week.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:22 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:03 am
That's not the best way of looking at things, shall we not listen to a reformed ex heroin user because they once was addicted to heroin talking about the dangers of heroin, of course not it's even more reason to listen to people who have lived the experience & made mistakes along the way, just because it doesn't align with your opinion doesn't invalidate somebody else's especially somebody who is more knowledgeable about a certain subject than yourself.
I understand and accept that he is your go to source for information, I am happy enough to view him as someone who is a clown who should be ignored. There is a reason he is now working for the radio version of the Sun.

Does he still boast how he took Iain Dowie to court ? One of the few things he won in his time in football. There is tough someone out there for everyone so no surprise that someone with the views you hold in life about people different from you gets all starry eyed at him.

Westleigh

Post by Westleigh » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:25 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:13 am
Simon Jordan tailors his argument to suit the agenda of the Talk Sport topic of that week.
The trouble is with nearly all the pundits ,and so called experts on these types of programmes is that someone has to play devils advocate or the show doesn’t work.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1776 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:34 am

So with that in mind, how can you take the opinion of these pundits and experts seriously?

I listen to TalkSport purely for entertainment as I gain very little insight. Most of them don’t know what they are talking about anyway.

No self-respecting journalist, pundit or professional would step into their studios to offer an opinion because they would have to change it in the next show anyway.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1191 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:35 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:22 am
I understand and accept that he is your go to source for information, I am happy enough to view him as someone who is a clown who should be ignored. There is a reason he is now working for the radio version of the Sun.

Does he still boast how he took Iain Dowie to court ? One of the few things he won in his time in football. There is tough someone out there for everyone so no surprise that someone with the views you hold in life about people different from you gets all starry eyed at him.
It's a strange world out there when you can just randomly bypass the notion of people learning from their mistakes & becoming wiser through experience or does it only apply to selective people who happen to hold a different opinion than yourself.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:38 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:34 am
So with that in mind, how can you take the opinion of these pundits and experts seriously?

I listen to TalkSport purely for entertainment as I gain very little insight. Most of them don’t know what they are talking about anyway.

No self-respecting journalist, pundit or professional would step into their studios to offer an opinion because they would have to change it in the next show anyway.
There are very few actual trained journalists working for them. Too many ex footballers getting presenting jobs ahead of people who have been trained and come up the hard way via local radio etc.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:40 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:35 am
It's a strange world out there when you can just randomly bypass the notion of people learning from their mistakes & becoming wiser through experience or does it only apply to selective people who happen to hold a different opinion than yourself.

Fully agree people should learn by their mistakes but when they keep making mistakes and don't learn you begin to think they are beyond help, who knows one day all people will find racism wrong as well. I mean imagine telling people you are refusing to watch the team you support simply because those players who are playing for your team are promoting equality.

You claimed that you didn't know if Boris was a liar, have you learnt from that mistake yet ?