No sign of Culvert work being completed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Re: No sign of Culvert work being completed

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:21 pm

deanothedino wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:48 pm
I still think it’s criminal they got rid of the old roundabout. The trees kept the Kierby out of your eyesight a bit and now you can’t avoid looking at the eyesore.
Are there no plans to knock that down? Must be coming to end of life and it’s a right eyesore.

I agree, I loved the trees. Think that money could’ve been far better invested to better impact the whole town.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:27 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:15 pm
It doesn't take much more work. If they painted or clad the white parts of the Kierby to match the building across the road, it’d look less of an eye sore. They should also pull away all the old UCFB window adverts and tint them all black.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't cost a great deal to have a bit of neatness.
Who owns it these days?

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:29 pm

No idea.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:42 pm

Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:29 pm
No idea.
Unless it’s the council that’ll be half the problem. People can own large properties like this and let them rot to the detriment of the town with little action being taken against them.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:48 pm

The point I’m making is that it doesn’t cost a lot of money to make it look nicer.
This user liked this post: deanothedino

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:24 pm

BobSykes wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:19 pm
And replacing a busy but functional roundabout with a 4 way traffic light junction, well i think we know how that will end...
Yep, more congestion = more pollution. Great idea, isn't it.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:35 pm

Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:48 pm
The point I’m making is that it doesn’t cost a lot of money to make it look nicer.
It doesn’t but that’s also exactly why councils should have the power to force owners of landmark buildings to do something.

Like you said, take down the window stickers of the “university” that gave the town very little after promising the world, tint them black, clad everything white in a colour that fits the surroundings and sudden it doesn’t look half as bad.

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:38 pm

Clean sheets, though...

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:40 pm

I mean, just how much of a shithole does a place have to be when their USP is 'clean sheets'.
These 2 users liked this post: deanothedino Tw@

bobinho
Been Liked: 4108 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:43 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:21 pm
Are there no plans to knock that down? Must be coming to end of life and it’s a right eyesore.

I agree, I loved the trees. Think that money could’ve been far better invested to better impact the whole town.
A better use of time and money would be to find the man/woman that designed it, and the people on the council who authorised the building of it having first seen the plans, and hit them very hard in the face.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:17 pm

Keirby Hotel was quite transformational when it opened, and nationally regarded, built by Massey's brewery, as was The led by Eric Cookson, prior to the Kierby Cookson commissioned the Grade II listed Domus (https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/arc ... in-burnley, https://c20society.org.uk/news/two-fine ... t-grade-ii) in Reedley to be his home (which is still there now), it was the only four star hotel outside Blackpool and Manchester at the time in Lancashire - problem with most buildings from that era is that they had a limited shelf life and this is what is the problem with most of the developments made in Burnley since the war, right up to that monstrosity at the mitre which is already stating to deteriorate rapidly well before it reaches 10 years of age

the way it has been managed in the last couple of decades is pretty shameful

current owners

Mayfair Developments
https://find-and-update.company-informa ... ng-history

who took over from

The Brunlea Hotel Ltd
https://find-and-update.company-informa ... ng-history

longhair
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 231 times

Post by longhair » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:16 am

Talbot closed nothing happening
Sparrow Hawk closed nothing happening
Coach and Horses closed nothing happening all supposedly sold,all look eyesores the council should make the new owners get their fingers out main gateway into burnley centre

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:46 am

longhair wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:16 am
Coach and Horses closed nothing happening all supposedly sold,all look eyesores the council should make the new owners get their fingers out main gateway into burnley centre
On the Everton game, I passed the Talbot and the door was open - there looked to be a fully-functioning bar, with quite a few inside. As I peered in the door was shut fairly forcibly in my face.

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:54 am

longhair wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:16 am
Do local councils have the powers to do so, or are they not using them?

If they don't have the authority, then the Govt has to act and change the law. Local authorities should submit 'gateway' areas on their local plan, where they have the power to ensure certain standards are met. Punitive fines and/or compulsory purchase at way below the market rate for those who do not comply.

I don't see why a handful of landlords and speculators should be allowed to blight the gateways to town centres. What is the point of borrowing money to build places like Pioneer Place when one of the main gateways looks so grim? If you didn't know the town centre, you'd think twice if you hadn't visited before. Not only that, but it hardly looks welcoming for us locals.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:01 am

What is wrong with people on this message board being negative and moaning all the time about absolutely everything in life. There is no positivity at all. A lot of you sound extremely depressed, bored and unhappy. Please remember, happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same
These 4 users liked this post: Rowls NewClaret Cabbage Ziggy Stardust

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:27 pm

deanothedino wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:48 pm
I still think it’s criminal they got rid of the old roundabout. The trees kept the Kierby out of your eyesight a bit and now you can’t avoid looking at the eyesore.
Two things that virtually everyone can agree we want rid of. The Keirby, and VAR!
This user liked this post: NewClaret

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:31 pm

Rowls wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:16 pm
No, the question it begs is, which is more fun - a 15 minute bike ride or being sat in a car for an hour to travel 3 miles?

I'm only a cyclist because I can't afford a car but it's one of the most serendipitous things I've ever experienced. I've lost half a stone and 2% of body fat in a matter of months. Not to mention my overall fitness improving and the mood enhancing effects of the daily workout.

If anybody reading this thread is enduring a hideous car commute of 4-5 miles then I implore them to leave the car at home and dust off their old bike.
It's 6 miles Burnley to top of Colne by motorway, possibly 7 on the main road. Do you think you could do it in 20 minutes, in the dark?

(Not to mention that on some days I would be towing a wheelchair, and I think my Mum might object! ;)
This user liked this post: Rowls

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:43 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:31 pm
It's 6 miles Burnley to top of Colne by motorway, possibly 7 on the main road. Do you think you could do it in 20 minutes, in the dark?

(Not to mention that on some days I would be towing a wheelchair, and I think my Mum might object! ;)
Reckon I could do it in 40-45 minutes. Google maps quotes 44 minutes so I'm sure somebody who was fit and young could do it quicker. The darkness isn't an issue. You need to wear bright, reflective clothing and have lights on your bike but it won't slow you down!

Nobody has to go out when it's tipping it down and windy. But get yourself a bike, regularly check the forecasts and go out in the nicer weather.

A return journey is 2 x 45 minutes. Unless you're injured, very elderly or have a physical medical condition that shouldn't be a problem at all. In fact it should be great exercise.

If anybody is thinking of buying a gym membership and driving to the gym - cancel it and buy a bike instead. Cheaper, more effective and far more enjoyable.

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:05 pm

But not as safe. It's bad enough driving round East Lancs in a car, never mind on a bike.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:10 pm

Rowls wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:43 pm
Reckon I could do it in 40-45 minutes. Google maps quotes 44 minutes so I'm sure somebody who was fit and young could do it quicker. The darkness isn't an issue. You need to wear bright, reflective clothing and have lights on your bike but it won't slow you down!

Nobody has to go out when it's tipping it down and windy. But get yourself a bike, regularly check the forecasts and go out in the nicer weather.

A return journey is 2 x 45 minutes. Unless you're injured, very elderly or have a physical medical condition that shouldn't be a problem at all. In fact it should be great exercise.

If anybody is thinking of buying a gym membership and driving to the gym - cancel it and buy a bike instead. Cheaper, more effective and far more enjoyable.
Home to work for me is 46 minutes according to google, and work to home is 50 minutes. The presupposes that the climb up Colne main street (which you may have spotted the pros struggling with in the Tour of Britain a few years back, admittedly at the end of the run) is supposed to make very little difference.

One thing you could advise me on. Obviously the roads are full of potholes (I saw a car on Skipton Road minus a wheel yesterday, in the vicinity of an enormous pothole which I doubt was coincidence) and that was in daylight. Are bike headlights really good enough to spot all the potholes in good enough time to check behind, see if a car is coming, and pull out to miss it?

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:05 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:10 pm
Home to work for me is 46 minutes according to google, and work to home is 50 minutes. The presupposes that the climb up Colne main street (which you may have spotted the pros struggling with in the Tour of Britain a few years back, admittedly at the end of the run) is supposed to make very little difference.

One thing you could advise me on. Obviously the roads are full of potholes (I saw a car on Skipton Road minus a wheel yesterday, in the vicinity of an enormous pothole which I doubt was coincidence) and that was in daylight. Are bike headlights really good enough to spot all the potholes in good enough time to check behind, see if a car is coming, and pull out to miss it?
Can answer yes to that question. Especially if there is street lighting too.

Bike headlights are so small and lightweight these days that you could easily strap a couple onto your bike.

Also, adjust your speed for potholes in poor light.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:10 pm

PS: The pros won't have been struggling with the hill as much as they'll have been struggling against each other. I'm not suggesting the hill will be an easy climb, just that it will be more achievable than you imagine. Plus there is the psychological reward of getting to the top and the endorphin rush that brings (basically the equivalent of a vaccine for MH problems) on top of the physical health benefits.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:20 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:27 pm
Two things that virtually everyone can agree we want rid of. The Keirby, and VAR!
Can definitely agree on that!!

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3193 times
Has Liked: 1873 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:24 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:38 pm
Clean sheets, though...
Not sure about the sheets but it’s “Clean en-suite rooms”

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:23 pm

dsr wrote:

Hi dsr

My journey to work is normally 40 minutes on my bike but 25 minutes back home on the downhill. Sadly, my bike is currently in for repair.

Today I was on the bus and the journey back home, in the traffic, has taken 1 hour and 25 minutes, door to door. That's almost long enough for me to get home from work, turn around and go back to work and get home again.

Plus if I'd cycled in I would have saved the £4 each way bus fare.

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:34 pm

dsr wrote:

I used to cycle from Burnley back to Colne regularly. The roads are lethal and even which with the bike light I had, which was punishingly bright, you’ve got to have your wits about you as the roads are atrocious. Time wise, it’s not so much the distance but the traffic that slows you down. It’s like bandit country. Used to take me about 40 minutes in rush hour.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 897 times
Has Liked: 1104 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:35 pm

The main A38, Bristol Rd., in Birmingham had £10s of millions spent narrowing the traffic lanes to put a dedicated cycle route from the city centre past the University of Birmingham to the QEII Hospital. They have an electronic counter displaying how many cyclists have used it that day. Returning from visiting my step-daughter in hospital at 8pm last night the grand total was 447 (includes both directions)! I'll bet there were more buses using the road now they have been forced back onto the road following the conversion of their bus lanes into part of the cycle lanes.

dougcollins

Post by dougcollins » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:46 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:35 pm
The main A38, Bristol Rd., in Birmingham had £10s of millions spent narrowing the traffic lanes to put a dedicated cycle route from the city centre past the University of Birmingham to the QEII Hospital. They have an electronic counter displaying how many cyclists have used it that day. Returning from visiting my step-daughter in hospital at 8pm last night the grand total was 447 (includes both directions)! I'll bet there were more buses using the road now they have been forced back onto the road following the conversion of their bus lanes into part of the cycle lanes.
They've spent a fortune in Leeds putting in bike lanes, when in fact all the majority wanted was a tram or metro system. Too late for that now.

Leeds centre is an utter disaster to get around in.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:57 pm

How long did it take to build the Great Wall of China? Just asking.
This user liked this post: Zom Zom

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:22 am

Royal Dyche landlady Justine shares her frustration about the project.

I walk down there 3 times a week, as a pedestrian it has been badly managed. Can't imagine how much they businesses have suffered

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/business ... ct-4487326

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:27 am

Before I moved to the US I thought it was just in the UK that we were slow when it came to construction projects like road work.
But here in Michigan, it's even worse. There's a saying here. there's two seasons in Michigan, Winter and Construction.

I don't know what it is about road work or any engineering projects as simple as this, but they seem to take an absolute age and if the workers are there, they are often not really seen to be doing anything.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:32 am

Loyalclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:22 am
Royal Dyche landlady Justine shares her frustration about the project.

I walk down there 3 times a week, as a pedestrian it has been badly managed. Can't imagine how much they businesses have suffered

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/business ... ct-4487326
Which business do you think has suffered because you can’t drive down there? I would have thought the majority of Dyche customers dont drive?

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:42 am

COBBLE wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:57 pm
How long did it take to build the Great Wall of China? Just asking.
Honestly, read that, spat out my coffee, logged in and 'liked' it :lol:

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:14 am

The Doomsday clock is moving faster then this project.
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/doomsday-cloc ... 59885.html

Loyalclaret

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:50 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:32 am
Which business do you think has suffered because you can’t drive down there? I would have thought the majority of Dyche customers dont drive?
Although Justine mentions the road being one way, I'm talking about pedestrians. I believe you work in town but not sure how often you walk under the Culvert. The pathments, especially outside the stretch from the bridge to the Rose & Thistle have been terrible. I'm typing this walking past Home Bargains to cross for the Kireby, it's terrible. If I was someone who used those businesses on Yorkshire St, I'd have thought twice about during this project.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:30 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:05 pm
But not as safe. It's bad enough driving round East Lancs in a car, never mind on a bike.
This. Cycling does have obvious benefits but for me the miserable experience it offers in wet or windy weather and the obvious vulnerability to accidents mean I’ll carry on walking or using the car thanks.
Gave up cycling after hitting an object in a road whilst descending at speed in France last year. Very, very painful consequences and the realisation that I was basically dicing with death sharing a road with fast moving cars whilst wearing what amounted to a swimsuit.

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:09 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:05 pm
If you look at the big picture it generally works out that cycling is better for life expectancy. The health benefits more than offset the slight increase in risk.

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:25 pm

rather take a taxi than ride a bike. through the town centre traffic.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:15 pm

I dont understand this theory that it has severely impacted business for those pubs. Is anyone really deciding not to go in because of the roadworks?

GetIntoEm

Post by GetIntoEm » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:20 pm

Goliath wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:15 pm
I dont understand this theory that it has severely impacted business for those pubs. Is anyone really deciding not to go in because of the roadworks?
no, but its easier to blame the council than to look at the service they are offering.

Loyalclaret

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:21 pm

As I've mentioned above, it has been very difficult to physically walk down Yorkshire Street since this project has been 'progressing'. Lots of the clientele that frequent the pubs and clubs of the Culvert are old. Getting to the businesses on there has been at different stages dangerous as pedestrian. As mentioned in the 110 Club thread, how easy has it been for the patrons to get in and out taxis whilst it's been going on?

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:49 pm

The barriers were blown all over the place this morning. I drove back through the former roundabout a couple of hours later, and the workers still hadn't bothered putting them back up. The pedestrians coming from Yorkshire Street were navigating around and over them while trying to keep an eye on the traffic and potholes. No wonder the local businesses are complaining. It's bad enough driving around there, never mind walking.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:50 pm

Goliath wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:15 pm
I think the testimony of the owners of businesses on there suggest footfall is down.

GetIntoEm

Post by GetIntoEm » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:06 pm

im not sure passing trade or "footfall" contributes much to the income of the pubs under the culvert, youre sort of going there or youre not. Theyve all still been busy on matchdays as normal.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:24 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:06 pm
im not sure passing trade or "footfall" contributes much to the income of the pubs under the culvert, youre sort of going there or youre not. Theyve all still been busy on matchdays as normal.
The owners are saying it is !!! They know the content of their tills more than you do.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:34 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:24 pm
The owners are saying it is !!! They know the content of their tills more than you do.
Doesn't necessarily mean they are right. Other factors will also play a part i.e Inflation/cost of living crisis, the football club winning 1 home game all season etc

GetIntoEm

Post by GetIntoEm » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:35 pm

must be true then

GetIntoEm

Post by GetIntoEm » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:36 pm

110 club threw in there about roadworks, if you'd been in the place recently it was clear to see it needed closing down, outdated, unwelcoming, ran down dive of a place. with the choice that's available in that area its unsurprising that people chose not to spend their money in there. thats the reason, not some temporary road works. As nostalgic as some of these places are for people, if you dont move with the times, you'll get left behind

Roger1960
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by Roger1960 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:01 pm

I doubt it’s possible to disentangle the various elements that are impacting trade for all the businesses on Yorkshire street from each other and put the blame on one only. A number of bars and clubs closed before the roadworks started and new ones opened so it’s been quite a dynamic picture for a while. Marginal businesses that maybe haven’t been investing ie 110 club will always be more likely to be pushed over the edge by the disruption the works are causing. What I find most frustrating about the way they are going about it is that they seem to be doing bits of it everywhere all at once rather than completing parts before they move on , such as do one side of Yorkshire street before starting the other rather than now where pedestrians brave enough to venture down there have been sent from one side of the road to the other. And why start on the other side of the roundabout into the town centre before finishing all the culvert works and getting that back open both ways. Spreading the workers too thinly

dougcollins

Post by dougcollins » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:06 pm

I only go into Burnley on match days, but you can go two weeks between home games and see no discernible difference in what has happened.

I work in Leeds centre and the difference in the rate of how things get done is stark.