Corners

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Re: Corners

Post by Andreshotboots » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:07 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:26 pm
I take your point that our height and general physicality deficiency disadvantages us.

But for as long as corners have existed, they’ve been swung in to the box. It’s like the most basic skill in football practiced by all teams, not all of which have massive players, yet we seem incapable of it.

Put a good ball in to the box on to the head of our players and it should create a goal scoring opportunity even with a height differential. Foster got one today but put it wide, for example.

What I don’t believe though is how in a squad as large as we have, there’s not one player good enough to deliver consistently good balls into the box. In my kids team
I have two who can whip in in swingers from either side and they do it consistently well on full sized pitches aged 12. If they can do it I’m pretty sure pro’s should be able to.

The plan isn’t to score from all of them but get 10 in a game (felt like we had that many today) and you should be making the keeper work off a few of them. Or setting up to win the second ball and getting shots away.

I also don’t like out swingers, where the ball is going away from goal. Bend it in.

But my big frustration is at 2-0 down not putting it in. Every corner should be in to the box at 2-0 down. Ditto free kicks that we for some reason insist on taking short and passing it around the back some more.
We had 3 centre backs on the pitch yesterday, a giant of a midfielder in Berge, J Rod who's decent in the air and a keeper. Defending set plays, or creating a threat at the other end shouldn't have been a problem. Issue is opposition's delivery is usually excellent, and ours is like from an under 11s game..