REPORT: More misery on the Turf

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Re: REPORT: More misery on the Turf

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:52 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:06 pm
Not surprised by this etiquette to be honest. Think people keep forgetting just what Wall Street financiers especially at the top are like.
Mental what some tweets and a 2nd rate doc does to sway opinions of some folk. As though Pace and co actually give a ******** about the Club - laughable.

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:54 pm

How is the orient season top flight. ? I’m talking about the top division.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:59 pm

Small and petty not to welcome Dyche back in the chairman's programme notes. At first, I was unsure about whether the PA announcer bellowing out the team news was deliberate, but now I'm not.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:22 pm

South West Claret. wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:47 pm
You obviously didn’t see the team in the “Orient “ season then did you.
That team didn't play in the top flight

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:29 pm

It’s poor not mentioning Dyche. Probably envious that they now have the better top flight manager.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:00 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:22 pm
Good grief, imagine if it did! 😱

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:02 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:29 pm
It’s poor not mentioning Dyche. Probably envious that they now have the better top flight manager.
Remember in the summer when we had posters on here saying that Everton would go down under Dyche?

And that was even before the points deduction!

:oops:

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:49 pm

Reading between the lines CT, a very difficult report for you to write, as I sense like many clarets you are feeling rock bottom with the current regime and squad

As I said in another post, the players need to show they care, and get under the skin of the opposition.The coaches who seemed to be glued to their lap tops need to show they are working on our weaknesses, like defending and moving the ball quicker. Luton are not many points above us but the team is giving it a good go, and competing. I also suspect that under Wilder, Sheff Utd will be competing very aggressively from now on

We have a number of players with genuine pace who can harm even the best defences, something we have not seen a lot of in the last decade, and we need to get the ball much quicker up to them , particularly with Foster hopefully back. Whilst I am not a promoter of VK out, if these performances continue then the decision will be taken out of our hands

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:09 pm

I thought our subs yesterday were even worse than normal, which is incredible.

Foster for Jay was worth a try
Bringing on Al Dakhil and putting him full back, rather than Roberts, was mind boggling.
Waiting until the 82nd minute to bring Benson on - words fail me.

However, none of that compares with the hopeless marking at corners, yet again. We must be easiest team to prepare for playing in top flight history. What the hell do our massive management team do all week?

Dingo
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Dingo » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:35 pm

It certainly has been miserable at times. Can’t disagree with that, but I’m still enjoying the ride. Curious to see what happens in the Jan transfer window. We’re only a well timed run away from getting out of it, and just imagine how good that would feel.

Kilson810
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Kilson810 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:41 pm

An honest report. Depressing as it is, unfortunately it is the reality we are in right now.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1132 times
Has Liked: 302 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:45 pm

Visiting team tactics. Just wait around the halfway line and watch them spend an age passing it across their own area, sideways sideways and back again. Once you get bored watching this, press forward, they will panic, misplace a pass when hurried, goal to us. Once 1-0 up, don’t worry, they’ll just carry on the same…….. so repeat.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:53 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:06 pm
Not surprised by this etiquette to be honest. Think people keep forgetting just what Wall Street financiers especially at the top are like.
Can our lot be described as " top " Wall Street financiers ?

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:03 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:53 pm
Alan Pace was Pace was head of sales and client solutions for the Prime Finance, Futures and Securities Services division at Citi.

I would guess it was more of a client facing role than Wall Street financier but I have to admit I know more about Yorkshire street than Wall Street..

Bullabill
Been Liked: 307 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:32 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:54 pm
Thats a real shame. .
Nowadays, we hardly see anything behind the scenes (bar the contrived mission to burnley series) and theres no real link to the fans through social media either.
True. I think the fans were treated with contempt over the Lyle Foster return. Sure, health matters are one thing, but some sort of updates could be made - 'he's getting better, won't be long now' sort of thing. VK being evasive (almost untruthful) in his response to the question about whether Lyle was back in training is an indication that fans really don't matter.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:53 pm

Bullabill wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:32 pm
True. I think the fans were treated with contempt over the Lyle Foster return. Sure, health matters are one thing, but some sort of updates could be made - 'he's getting better, won't be long now' sort of thing. VK being evasive (almost untruthful) in his response to the question about whether Lyle was back in training is an indication that fans really don't matter.
I dont think the club has a clue whats going on with this one even now. Foster has clearly just arrived back without warning saying he wants to play and wants to go to the AFCON. Im not sure what the club can do with it apart from allow Foster to make the decisions. If they go against him on anything then we likely lose the player for ever and any value he might have had.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:54 pm

Bullabill wrote:
Kompany:

“It was a surprise to us as well.

We hadn’t really expected that he was able to return. But it was the opinion of the experts that keeping him in his natural environment was important. Football is part of his life, it’s something he needs to do to be happy as well."

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:00 pm

Bullabill wrote:
Sorry, I appreciate its open season on the club at the moment, but this is nonsense. If anything, VK was quite open about where Foster was at and about not going to AFCON. Didn’t he say that he’d been keeping up with his physical conditioning etc while having treatment? And didn’t he say he was making great progress and intimated he could be back soon. It may have been a last minute decisions to include in the squad, we don’t know, but to say we’ve been treated with ‘contempt’ about a sensitive issue involving a player is not something I’m on board with.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:10 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:54 pm
Kompany:

“It was a surprise to us as well.

We hadn’t really expected that he was able to return. But it was the opinion of the experts that keeping him in his natural environment was important. Football is part of his life, it’s something he needs to do to be happy as well."
This was an obvious one tbh. Now hes back i feel we can speak a little bit more freely but anyone who plays football knows that feeling of freedom on the pitch when you forget any external anxieties and stresses for the 90 minutes. Theres a lot of examples of this...Gasgoigne, Merson etc.

Im baffled by the advice to stop playing and training tbh and am glad to see this decision has been reversed. Hopefully the club (and other clubs) can learn from this situation and have protocols in place that can be worked through, as this is likely to become a more common occurence across the game now people are becoming more open to sharing mental health issues

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:23 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:10 pm
This was an obvious one tbh. Now hes back i feel we can speak a little bit more freely but anyone who plays football knows that feeling of freedom on the pitch when you forget any external anxieties and stresses for the 90 minutes. Theres a lot of examples of this...Gasgoigne, Merson etc.

Im baffled by the advice to stop playing and training tbh and am glad to see this decision has been reversed. Hopefully the club (and other clubs) can learn from this situation and have protocols in place that can be worked through, as this is likely to become a more common occurence across the game now people are becoming more open to sharing mental health issues
I don't believe it's helpful speculating when we don't know and shouldn't know the detail, so not sure how anyone can be baffled. The care plan should be based on an individualised clinical assessment and decision making, rather than protocols.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:30 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:23 pm
I don't believe it's helpful speculating when we don't know and shouldn't know the detail, so not sure how anyone can be baffled. The care plan should be based on an individualised clinical assessment and decision making, rather than protocols.
Is this not part of the issue, we stigmatise mental health issues so much that we are scared to even have discussion, myself included. Why cant we just treat it like we would any other health issue and have normal discussion without everyone being terrified about what can and cant be said.

And yes i agree im talking about protocols as steps we have to take with each case, one of which being the individual clinical assessments etc. If we had an injured player , they couldnt just turn up a few days before a game after a month or 2 out and say he can play without the manager being aware of it.

durhamclaret
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 319 times

Post by durhamclaret » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:16 am

I couldn’t make the game so settled down to watch on telly and I’m sad to report that I did something I’ve never done before, I switched off after 60 mins as it was clear we were getting nowhere. This was so predictable and awful to watch, I feel sorry for those who were there.
Please Vinny, change your system.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:40 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:53 pm
Pace held very high positions in both Citigroup and Lehmann Brothers. Not sure about the rest but Pace will have rubbed shoulders with movers and shakers.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:44 am

durhamclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:16 am
I couldn’t make the game so settled down to watch on telly and I’m sad to report that I did something I’ve never done before, I switched off after 60 mins as it was clear we were getting nowhere. This was so predictable and awful to watch, I feel sorry for those who were there.
Please Vinny, change your system.
I bet you switched over for Strictly? :lol: My wife tried to watch it but same as you she switched over. However she switched over before half time!

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:46 am

Whilst we can hope for the best, it’s very likely things aren’t going to change until the transfer window. A couple of good signings could galvanise the team and if we’re in touching distance of 17th - then you never know.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:03 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:22 pm
Correct, what I should have said is something like if you think yesterday was bad compared with the “Orient” season it wasn’t.