Burnley v Liverpool - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Re: Burnley v Liverpool - Player Ratings

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:24 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:16 pm
Wouldn’t particularly call it ‘a shocker’ -

Again, defending 1vs1 against a big, physical wideman in Gakpo, fairly high line with Odobert infront of him first half who did nothing to help.

Some absolute world class passing from Trent/Alisson/VVD to Gakpo and yeah he did give up a few half chances but it’s far from a shocker for me.

Did much better second half (as they all did)
Ponderous, no pressure on the ball, not getting anywhere near his man, physically bullied, cowering out of challenges, clearly targeted by Liverpool, as much help from his wide man as CT got but he managed with far more success, abysmal on the ball with his passing putting us in trouble and his crossing was absolute dross = a shocker.

I’d welcome other posters (who actually attended the game) giving me the reasons for his 7’s and 8’s. “He tried hard/ran his socks off” doesn’t really wash with me. I prefer something of substance rather than just effort.

He’ll always be a weak link whilst he’s starting for us at this level.
These 2 users liked this post: Goliath JohnDearyMe

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:25 pm

Carlos the Great wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:04 pm
Vitinho has been given marks ranging from a 3 up to an 8 ,, he is a bit like marmite
Good comparison, Marmites horrendous as well

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:27 pm

Trafford 9 mom would have been 10 but for distribution
Vitinho 5 not a RB against quality.
O'Shea 8 great game,solid and aggressive
Beyer 6
Taylor 6
Odobert 8
Brownhill 7
Berge 7 frustrating at times.
Trésor 7
Amdoubnni 4 luxury player tonight.
Foster 6 still not firing on all cylinders

Guðmundsson 6
Very encouraging second half, we just need more height and physicality.
VK 5 strange substitutions again.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:28 pm

Trafford 8 …some great saves
Vitinho 5.. awful first 15 mins but did settle a bit after that. Usual lack of final ball quality when he got forward.
O Shea 8 .. thought he was very good tonight
Beyer 6 …. so so
Taylor 7…. Solid and kept Salah quiet
Brownhill 7
Berge 7 .. v good 2nd half
Tresor 6… lovely touches. Lack of end product.
Amdouni 6…. See Tresor
Foster 6… huge work rate . Just final ball lacking today.
Odobert 8…. Sensational in the second half at times. Massive potential.

JBG 5

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:32 pm

From tv
Trafford 9 mom
Vitinho 5 I’ll repeat what I’ve said on here countless times..one on one he is not a good defender
O’Shea 7 good in the air, average on the ground
Beyer 6 poor first half, much better second
Taylor 7 did ok
Odobert 7 why oh why does VK play him on the right? When he switched to the left he became alive and was our best attacking force
Berge 7 good in bits, to say he was up against a strong Liverpool midfield
Brownhill 6 same as Berge
Tresor 4 this is the one signing who infuriates me. I really do not understand how he gets close to the starting eleven. He looks a bit flash, but I do not see what he brings to the team. Our attacking play was poor until he went off and Wilson went into his normal position on the left. I really hopes he makes me eat humble pie.
Amdouni 6 similar to Tresor but better
Foster 6 no service but works so hard and does put pressure on their defenders
JBG 7 we improved when he came on, Tresor went off and Wilson went to the left

We were playing against the current top of the PL and it showed. We had our moments but the difference in class and intensity was clear to see. They were chasing and closing us down from the first minute til the last, like we used to last season in the Championship. I think VK got it totally wrong again by starting with Tresor and moving Wilson to the right. Having said that we were beaten by a team who were simply better, stronger and on a different level.

to say he was against a strong Liverpool midfield

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:40 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:24 pm
Ponderous, no pressure on the ball, not getting anywhere near his man, physically bullied, cowering out of challenges, clearly targeted by Liverpool, as much help from his wide man as CT got but he managed with far more success, abysmal on the ball with his passing putting us in trouble and his crossing was absolute dross = a shocker.

I’d welcome other posters (who actually attended the game) giving me the reasons for his 7’s and 8’s. “He tried hard/ran his socks off” doesn’t really wash with me. I prefer something of substance rather than just effort.
That’s not entirely true though is it? Yeah a few times in the first half Gakpo did him, again from some exquisite passes from TAA who is genuinely world class at it.

You’re making it sound like he got absolutely bodied every time which isn’t true; won most of his ground duels and made a decent clearance.
Jakubs Tash wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:24 pm
He’ll always be a weak link whilst he’s starting for us at this level.
Exactly my point - you’ve made your mind up on him already so are marking to your bias…

He may have struggled at times today (as they all did) but let’s not pretend like he hasn’t been one of our better players over the past 5 or 6 matches

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:45 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:06 pm
Some people have just decided he isn’t good enough so give him poor marks no matter what - one of them.
Think this is definitely true but I don't think he played well today. I'm a big fan of Vitinho, think he's better at this level than the league below, young enough to still improve as a fullback, one of the most determined, resilient hard working players in the squad, that his running and movement off the ball is actually fantastic (possibly a bit too good for some teammates to find him tbh), and that he just needs to improve his final ball in the attacking third and tighten up his possession in the defensive third to be a really good player.
That said, I thought he was mediocre against Fulham and really really struggled today. Had a run of a few absolutely brilliant games, I'd play him over Roberts and think we have positions that need strengthening ahead of his, and that with better players around him he'd do better (similar to Amdouni doing better with Foster). But tonight I thought he got beaten too easily an awful lot, all their threat was coming down his side when I'd expected it to come more from Salah.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:52 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:45 pm
Think this is definitely true but I don't think he played well today.
Nor do I mate - that’s why I gave him a 5… To give a 3 is a bit extreme, a 3 is gifting the opposition goals as a defender and being absolutely shite.
spt_claret wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:45 pm
But tonight I thought he got beaten too easily an awful lot, all their threat was coming down his side when I'd expected it to come more from Salah.
He did. No question. It happens - especially against the best sides when you’re defending a relatively high line with little help from the man in front of you.
This user liked this post: spt_claret

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:55 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:40 pm
That’s not entirely true though is it? Yeah a few times in the first half Gakpo did him, again from some exquisite passes from TAA who is genuinely world class at it.

You’re making it sound like he got absolutely bodied every time which isn’t true; won most of his ground duels and made a decent clearance.

Exactly my point - you’ve made your mind up on him already so are marking to your bias…

He may have struggled at times today (as they all did) but let’s not pretend like he hasn’t been one of our better players over the past 5 or 6 matches
Yes. Yes, it is true.

No bias. I’m just reconfirming what I’ve said all season (even in August). If he plays well enough I’ll mark him higher and you will have seen that I have done this on some previous ratings threads. But those higher ratings are few and far between because he’s quite simply not up to it at this level and I’m not taken in (like others) because of his busy demeanour.

There’s a reason we were linked with numerous right full backs in the summer window.

Weak in defence and doesn’t have enough ability or composure yo create anything at the other end.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:01 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:55 pm
Yes. Yes, it is true.

No bias. I’m just reconfirming what I’ve said all season (even in August). If he plays well enough I’ll mark him higher and you will have seen that I have done this on some previous ratings threads. But those higher ratings are few and far between because he’s quite simply not up to it at this level and I’m not taken in (like others) because of his busy demeanour.

There’s a reason we were linked with numerous right full backs in the summer window.

Weak in defence and doesn’t have enough ability or composure yo create anything at the other end.
Must be another reason why VK gave him a contract extension! Good utility player and a good attitude.

If that was a 3 performance then I’m not sure where that leaves AADs performances against Villa/Spurs at home!

Jacko
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Jacko » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:16 am

Trafford 7
Vitinho 4
O'Shea 6
Beyer 5
Taylor 6
Odobert 7
Brownhill 7
Berge 6
Tresor 5
Amdouni 4
Foster 6

Gudmundsson 6

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:51 am

Trafford 8
Vitinho 5
O’Shea 7
Beyer 6
Taylor 7
Tresor 6
Brownhill 7
Berge 7
Odobert 7
Amdouni 7
Foster 6

JBG 6

fungus_the_bogeyman
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by fungus_the_bogeyman » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:19 am

Trafford 9*
Vitinho 5
Taylor 6
Beyer 6
O’Shea 7
Berge 6
Brownhill 6
Amdouni 5
Tresor 6
Odobert 8
Foster 6

Gudmundsson 6

Luppy
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Luppy » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:40 am

Trafford - 9

Vitinho- 7
O’Shea - 8
Beyer - 6
Taylor - 7

Odabert - 8
Brownhill - 6
Berge - 6
Tresor - 6

Amdouni - 5
Foster - 5

JBG - 5

Rest of subs came way too late and very strange to end up with all the wide men on the pitch.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:24 am

Trafford 9
Vitinho 5
OShea 7
Beyer 6
Taylor 7
Brownhill 6
Berge 5
Tresor 5
Odobert 6
Amdouni 4
Foster 5

Subs:
Gudmundsson 6

CryerBFC
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by CryerBFC » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:33 am

Trafford - 8* - some good saves and getting better at coming to claim balls, but his distribution still needs a lot of work if he’s to continue playing how VK is clearly asking him to
Vitinho - 4 - no good as a full back in this league, efforts there but he’s just not good enough, bit like the managers son in 90% of youth grassroots football
O’Shea - 6 - did alright, nothing special, gives away a lot of fouls/possession through lack of concentration I feel
Beyer - 6 - starting to worry me how a lot of teams in this league start their press when he gets the ball, as soon as the ball goes to him he’s swarmed and it’s his decision making under pressure which is worrying, first half especially
Taylor - 7 - to keep Salah quiet is quite an achievement, that last ditch tackle getting back was typical CT, grew into the game second half and got forward, solid shift
Brownhill - 6 - tough for our midfield two, swarmed by the busy Elliot, Gravenberch and Endo
Berge - 5 - as above, less effective due to the early booking and two half decent chances which I think he should have at least hit the target
Tresor - 6 - some lovely touches in first 5 mins, cut inside every time and once Liverpool recognised that, he wasn’t half as effective as they cut his path off to come inside,
Amdouni - 5 - marked down for his decision making in that counter attack in first half, 4 on 3 and he decides to balloon it wide, Endo sat just in front of him all night and he couldn’t get going
Odobert - 7 - keeps showing up every week, unlucky to be the one that had to ‘give up’ his better position first half, but surely shown he has to be first choice off the left going forward
Foster - 5 - tough night for him, little service

JBG - 6 - added a bit of fight in the team which is strange for someone who seemed to be made of lettuce in previous years. Should have scored the header, but not a bad cameo.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:03 am

Trafford 9*
Vitinho 5
O'Shea 7
Beyer 7
Taylor 7
Odobert 7
Brownhill 6
Berge 6
Trésor 6
Amdouni 6
Foster 6

Guðmundsson 6

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2035 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:07 am

Trafford 8
Vitinho 6
OShea 7
Beyer 6
Taylor 6
Brownhill 7
Berge 6
Tresor 7
Odobert 7
Amdouni 6
Foster 6

Gudmundsson 6

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 994 times

Post by MrTopTier » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:43 am

Trafford 8 Kept us in the game.
Vitinho 6 Exposed on a number of occasions.
O’Shea 7 decent aerially, did well with Nunez
Beyer 7 played well
Taylor 7 defended well, that tackle on Salah belting.
Berge and Brownhill 6 marked together because of the front four, these two were over ran most of the night. Stuck at it though
Tresor 6 attacked well, little in the way of tracking back to help Taylor
Odobert 7 carries the ball so well and looks a threat every time he has it.
Foster and Amdouni 6’s no lack of effort or workrate from these two but their final ball/ touch/ decision making always felt hurried.

A game I enjoyed watching. Could have gone in at half time 4/0 down or level, second half we took it to them and the whole crowd got involved. Ran out of legs towards the end. JBG missed a sitter and the subs were baffling. A positive performance in the sense we had a go, negative in that we look so open.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:46 am

Trafford 8 MotM
Vitinho 7
O’Shea 8
Beyer 6
Taylor 7
Tresor 6
Brownhill 6
Berge 6
Odobert 8
Amdouni 6
Foster 7

JBG 6

strayclaret
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by strayclaret » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:24 am

Trafford 9
Vitinho 6
O'Shea 7
Beyer 6
Taylor 6
Odobert 7
Brownhill 6
Berge 6
Trésor 6
Amdoubnni 6
Foster 6

Guðmundsson 6
A game of 2 halves. JBG, Larsen and Berge have to hit the target, with the chances we had in second half.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:52 am

Trafford 9
Vitinho 5
O'Shea 6
Beyer 6
Taylor 6
Odobert 7
Brownhill 5
Berge 5
Tresor 5
Amdouni 5
Foster 5

Gudmundsson 6

Did well to keep the scoreline down.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:06 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:01 am
Must be another reason why VK gave him a contract extension! Good utility player and a good attitude.

If that was a 3 performance then I’m not sure where that leaves AADs performances against Villa/Spurs at home!
The new contract that kicked in automatically upon promotion (like Benson and Zaroury)? Clearly an excellent barometer.

It doesn’t matter how good his attitude is if his ability isn’t anywhere near the level required. My attitude and effort would be incredible if I could pull on the shirt….

Right back is a vital position in this team and the way we’re setting up and his shortcomings have a hugely detrimental effect on players around him on the pitch.

This isn’t a witch hunt….it’s the same (frustrating) story every week. This player makes many mistakes in every single game he plays (defensively and offensively). You can’t expect the same player to keep getting selected every week and for it to have a different outcome when the quality just isn’t there.

Zenwisdom
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Zenwisdom » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:26 am

Trafford 8 kept us in the game
Taylor 6 tough day
Vitinho 5
Beyer 6
O’Shea 6 had to concentrate
Brownhill 5
Berg 6
Odebert 7 confidence 10
Foster 6
Tresor 7 comfortable needs to shoot
Amdoni 5 absent
JBG 6
Shop window performance for some

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:27 am

We are a team that with all but one home defeat, desperately lacks belief and its shows in our play. WE dont have the players which the majority of PL teams have, that can make a difference and get you out of a very bad run of form. The majority of teams would have buried the two chances that fell to JBG, Berge and maybe even Larsen,and turned the game round

Trafford 8-he single handedly stopped it being 5 or 6
Vitinho 5-gets into good positions when attacking then has no end product, and has formed little relationship with our wide men
O'Shea 7-maybe our best defender. HE did however make a hash of two tackles, both of which led to goals. HE dives in without reading the situation
Beyer 6-he continues to make that dreadful pass in the majority of games, though some of his interceptions were good. He is finding the PL hard and needs to focus on the simple art of defending
Taylor 6-considering his physique he gets bullied and pushed over a lot. Very lucky to win the foul for one of Liverpools disallowed goals
Brownhill 6-he put in a big effort but we are overshadowed in the midfield areas against sides like Liverpool and surprised we did not feature Cullen all night
Berge 6-not his best game, but at times showed what he is about. Sadly he at times looks lazy and gets outmuscled
Odobert 7-quiet first half but improved as the game went on, and one sublime dribble and cross for JBG that should have been tghe equaliser
Tresor 6-he showed some lovely touches, and has the ability to start his movement before accepting the pass. I wish he would have shot on several ocassions rather than then just lose the ball. His end product is still unknown but hope we persevere and can coach him.Think he will soon come good
Amdouini 6-each game he shows flashes of brilliance but he does not sustain it. His shooting after a great run was poor
Foster 6-our most ineffective player in the first half but I felt he was back to his best second half using his power and foraging to upset the two centre halves

JBG 5-fail to see his contribution, when we have far more gifted wide men who cannot even get a minutes. How did someone of his experience miss that header

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:36 am

I can't believe how high some of the ratings are. The game was over after 5 minutes.

The first half was just Everton all over again - only Liverpool were wasteful and / or Trafford heroic. There was no response from us and the old "strong jaw" showed it's made of jelly again. Had we gone in 5 down it wouldn't have been undeserved.

We offered absolutely nothing until the Elliott goal was chalked off and even then Liverpool were back in control again 15 minutes later. We can't afford to only turn up for 15 minutes against Hartlepool, never mind Liverpool. Let's not get carried away, Alisson could have sat on a deck chair for 90 minutes. Simply not good enough.

VK is trying to get players to do things they simply cannot do and it's starting to remind me of the Waddle era. The lack of any genuine goal threat is also starting to remind me of the end of the Cotterill days. We're just a very bad side. 9 defeats out of 10 at the Turf. Let that sink in. Not acceptable at any level of the game.

Trafford 10 - kept the game respectable.
Vitinho 4 - awful. He's done ok recently but useless last night.
Taylor 5 - did ok, typical Charlie.
Beyer 4 - worrying distribution again
O'Shea 7 - the only defender who tried to stand up and be counted
Brownhill 4 - anonymous for 70 minutes
Berge 4 - anonymous for 70 minutes
Tresor 4 - gave the ball away time and time again through poor distribution and running into trouble.
Odobert 7 - anonymous for 70 minutes but showed more quality in 10-15 minutes than anyone else in a claret shirt.
Amdouni 4 - disappeared from the game after he shanked his shot in the 4th minute. A passenger.
Foster 4 - Not fit, bossed by both CB's and looked like Bambi on Ice when he got near the ball.

JBG 6 - missed a sitter but did more positive work in 30 minutes than Tresor did in 60

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:39 am

Those ratings are a joke ^^^ get a grip

Trafford 8
Vitinho 5
O’Shea 7
Beyer 5
Taylor 7
Brownhill 6
Berge 5
Tresor 6
Odobert 7
Amdouni 5
Foster 6

Gudmundsson 6

jlup1980

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:55 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:39 am
Those ratings are a joke ^^^ get a grip

Trafford 8
Vitinho 5
O’Shea 7
Beyer 5
Taylor 7
Brownhill 6
Berge 5
Tresor 6
Odobert 7
Amdouni 5
Foster 6

Gudmundsson 6
We're all welcome to our opinion and it's my opinion that we have fans clutching at straws. If not for their wasteful finishing, Trafford making save after save and a couple of favourable VAR calls the game would have ended about 7-0. That's the reality. Are we really happy clapping 15 minutes as being enough?

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:00 am

jlup1980 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:55 am
We're all welcome to our opinion and it's my opinion that we have fans clutching at straws. If not for their wasteful finishing, Trafford making save after save and a couple of favourable VAR calls the game would have ended about 7-0. That's the reality. Are we really happy clapping 15 minutes as being enough?
We’re playing the best team in the country at the moment. The game was not ‘over after 5 mins’. Yes we clung on, but we stayed in the game - weird how other teams get praise for this kind of thing and we don’t - and we had very good chances to score. JBG, Amdouni, Bruun Larsen. Why are you just plucking scores out of the air? It didn’t end 7-0, there’s no ‘should have’ about it. We were too passive first half, but we stayed in it and caused more issues in the second half. To dish out 4’s after that is, for me, incredibly harsh.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:10 am

Trafford 9 MOM

Vitinho 5
Beyer 7
O' Shea 8
Taylor 7

Berge 6
Brownhill 7
Tresor 5

Amdouni 6
Foster 6
Odobert 7

JBG 5

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:18 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:00 am
We’re playing the best team in the country at the moment. The game was not ‘over after 5 mins’. Yes we clung on, but we stayed in the game - weird how other teams get praise for this kind of thing and we don’t - and we had very good chances to score. JBG, Amdouni, Bruun Larsen. Why are you just plucking scores out of the air? It didn’t end 7-0, there’s no ‘should have’ about it. We were too passive first half, but we stayed in it and caused more issues in the second half. To dish out 4’s after that is, for me, incredibly harsh.
The game effectively was over after 5 mins just the ref couldn't blow the whistle until after the 90 for all intent & purposes. If staying in the game is the expectation of some sort of a reliance on the other team wasting chance after chance & falling favourably on VAR to scrub off goals & being indebted to the goalkeeper from stopping us conceding a shed load I guess you could say we stayed in the game. I'd say a combination of fortuitous incidents stopped us being well & truly battered on the pitch.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:24 am

I think we are a goal scorer short of going on a very good run. In the next couple of weeks it's what we do off the pitch that is now vital.
I thought our second half against the leaders was very good.

jlup1980

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:24 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:00 am
Defensively we only stayed in the game because of Trafford and O'Shea and my ratings are similar to your in that respect. Taylor was steady, and maybe a 6, but Beyer and Vitinho struggled badly all night.

Having said that, I felt sorry for the back 4 as I genuinely didn't think we had a CM in the first half. Brownhill and Berge just weren't at the races. Yes it's Liverpool and of course they're a good side, but we were dreadful in the first half and a lot of that was down to the CM pairing getting bypassed time and time again. They were both 3's at half time as I don't think either contributed a single positive thing. They improved in the second half and my rating reflects that... maybe Brownhill was a 5 overall, but Berge wasn't as on the whole he was crap.

Tresor is an enigma. Some like him, some don't. I see a player with quality on the ball but his decision making was dreadful. The stats back that up. He only completed 53% of his passes. The only players on the pitch with worse pass accuracy were Foster (47%) and Trafford (31%). You can't give the ball away every other time you get it and he put us in trouble a few times.

Foster was poor. I don't blame him, I don't have an agenda against him. He's not match fit and he's up against VVD but he still didn't offer anything. He fell over two or three times and did very little else other than lose the ball.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:26 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:18 am
The game effectively was over after 5 mins just the ref couldn't blow the whistle until after the 90 for all intent & purposes. If staying in the game is the expectation of some sort of a reliance on the other team wasting chance after chance & falling favourably on VAR to scrub off goals & being indebted to the goalkeeper from stopping us conceding a shed load I guess you could say we stayed in the game. I'd say a combination of fortuitous incidents stopped us being well & truly battered on the pitch.
Nothing was 'effectively over', we were one down. Good to see you've found your login details after a defeat - you've been nowhere to be seen after the Fulham victory. Funny that.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:28 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:26 am
Nothing was 'effectively over', we were one down. Good to see you've found your login details after a defeat - you've been nowhere to be seen after the Fulham victory. Funny that.
I'm sorry I've been in hospital with pneumonia I must remember to never become ill coinciding with a rare victory of ours!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:28 am

Did Luton face anywhere near the same number of chances that we did last night in their 1-1 draw with Liverpool?

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:30 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:28 am
Did Luton face anywhere near the same number of chances that we did last night in their 1-1 draw with Liverpool?
More! 3.46 xG for Liverpool in that game, 1.5 last night.
This user liked this post: Spijed

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:31 am

jlup1980 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:24 am
Defensively we only stayed in the game because of Trafford and O'Shea and my ratings are similar to your in that respect. Taylor was steady, and maybe a 6, but Beyer and Vitinho struggled badly all night.

Having said that, I felt sorry for the back 4 as I genuinely didn't think we had a CM in the first half. Brownhill and Berge just weren't at the races. Yes it's Liverpool and of course they're a good side, but we were dreadful in the first half and a lot of that was down to the CM pairing getting bypassed time and time again. They were both 3's at half time as I don't think either contributed a single positive thing. They improved in the second half and my rating reflects that... maybe Brownhill was a 5 overall, but Berge wasn't as on the whole he was crap.

Tresor is an enigma. Some like him, some don't. I see a player with quality on the ball but his decision making was dreadful. The stats back that up. He only completed 53% of his passes. The only players on the pitch with worse pass accuracy were Foster (47%) and Trafford (31%). You can't give the ball away every other time you get it and he put us in trouble a few times.

Foster was poor. I don't blame him, I don't have an agenda against him. He's not match fit and he's up against VVD but he still didn't offer anything. He fell over two or three times and did very little else other than lose the ball.
Trafford was excellent and O'Shea the pick of the defence, but 4's for seven of the starters (i.e. rated 'poor') is far too harsh. I get these things are subjective, but there has to be some perspective.

I thought both CM's improved second half, though Berge had his poorest game for a while - no easy task though. I think Tresor's had a raw deal from some - he was positive, and drive us forward and can see improvements game by game. His pass accuracy is surely always going to be lower because he's trying to play more progressive passes.

Foster doesn't look 100% fit, but I thought he put himself about reasonably well and gave their pretty formidable back line some issues, particularly second half.
Last edited by Swizzlestick on Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: jlup1980

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:33 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:28 am
I'm sorry I've been in hospital with pneumonia I must remember to never become ill coinciding with a rare victory of ours!
My apologies, get well soon, Jakub. And yes indeed!

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:16 pm

If we were to start the season again, surely VK should have drawn a plan to play a certain way against the bigger teams and our more natural way against the bottom ten. too late now, the horse has bolted. Good second half, we really need to take our chances when on top.

Trafford 7 - some good saves, poor for their second

Vitinho 6 - Did ok
Beyer 6 - Thought he could have swept up for the first goal, bit hesitant
O' Shea 7 - Had a good game
Taylor 7 - Great effort, but end product lacking

Berge 7
Brownhill 7
Tresor 6 - Mixed bag, wish he's shoot more, he's very good at creating space for himself

Amdouni 6 - 4 first half (in which he just plodded around the pitch with little effort) 8 second half in which he played really well.
Foster 6 - Rusty
Odobert 8 - What a player he's going to be

JBG 7 - Don't get the poor marks for him, was involved in our best spell when he was on the pitch

Another defeat, but again, promising signs. What happens in January? It is frustrating as with 7 or 8 more points, we could have brought in a couple of decent additions and stayed up fairly comfortably. I'm not sure who will want to join us at this stage now, so maybe planning for the long term championship push next season is more of a priority?

Feels like we need a dominant CB, a midfield destroyer, 2 new fullbacks and a striker, which is way too much work to do in just a month

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:00 pm

Trafford 8 very good performance
Vitinho 6
O'Shea 8 read the game very well
Beyer 6 sloppy at times made one very good interception
Taylor 6
Odobert 8 created havoc. An inspiration.
Brownhill 7 tidied and probed tirelessly.
Berge 7
Trésor 6
Amdouni 5 - undoubted talent but too many wrong moves. Cost us dearly.
Foster 6

Guðmundsson 6

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:58 pm

Trafford 9 - brilliant performance
Vitinho 4 - his final ball and his passing in general is atrocious. There was a point in the second half where he had an easy ball down the line and the ball must have been 20 yards away from where it should have gone and straight to the their centre half.
O'Shea 7 - played well. Like he did at Fulham too.
Beyer 5 - all over the place in the first half. One truly terrible passage of play in the first half where he just about got away with taking the ball out from the back. It came back to him from Taylor I think and there was only one option on - to hit it long. He didn’t and played a pass I don’t think any defender in this league would have tried. It was shocking play and we were very lucky to not concede.
Taylor 7 - played well and that tackle in the second half really got the crowd and the team going.
Odobert 8 - what a player this lad looks. Absolutely brilliant in the second half.
Brownhill 6 - struggled first half but better second
Berge 6 - as per Josh
Trésor 6 - some good touches and runs. His control and first touch is good and he has good delivery. He needs to play with more confidence though, take on responsibility and shoot when he has an opportunity rather than try and pass it on and also show more fight.
Amdouni 5 - fantastic turn and good effort but needs more end quality and needs to learn quicker how he fits in with the rest of the team. Popping up everywhere on the pitch is not a good thing when it leaves players like Foster isolated.
Foster 6 - still getting his fitness but he could not give anymore for the team than he did last night.

Guðmundsson 5 - bad header to miss from someone who is as good in the air as JBG.

Don’t like what Vk did with his subs again. Lyle kept on too long. Redmond stripped and told to sit back down. No Jay when we needed a focal point up top. VVD maybe a top player who is too good for us but the other centre back was certainly not and we should have had someone pressurising him for the last part of the game.

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1076 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:19 pm

Trafford 8
Vitinho 5
Beyer 6
O'Shea 6
Taylor 6
Tresor 7
Brownhill 6
Berge 6
Odobert 7
Amdouni 6
Foster 6

ecc
Been Liked: 1442 times
Has Liked: 1289 times

Post by ecc » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:11 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:47 pm
I think we'll stay up....there, I've said it.

Given the opposition, I'd say that was our best half of football this season..and there was some dazzling attacking play..

First half was clearly absolute pants but we showed enough invention and grit to fight our way back into it. Lots to like overall though and plenty to be optimistic about.

Trafford..8.. Getting better by the game. Distribution utter sh1te, but we know that.
Vit..7 Holding his own in the prem
Beyer..6..Hasnt quite graduated in the Prem yet.
OShea...8 Physically effective..something we desperately lack.
Charlie T..8. Looked after Sala...Nuff said
Berge..6 poor..half hearted challenges gormless booking.and a wasted chance.
Brownhills.6 .out of his depth in first half...another wasted chance.
Odobert.8..massive talent...beats his man almost every time, and can shoot and cross.
Trevor.. 6 needs time..he'll get better.
Foster 6..not the right game for him..need to see him against a high line.
Amdouni. 7..talented lad..another who'll make a big impact before end of season.
JBG. 7
Hi fatboy47,

I've read enough of your posts to have got the impression you're not a born optimist but say things as you see them. I take your posts seriously and unless you were well hammered when you posted - excusable :) - I'll take solace from your comments.

Take care,

ecc